The "Official" Onkyo TX-SR607 Thread - Page 88 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #2611 of 2633 Old 04-10-2015, 06:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Initiate Onscreen Display

Its been a while since I looked at my onscreen display. I seem to be missing how to initiate the onscreen display. I think I'm hitting the right buttons? I have my Panasonic TV hooked up by HDMI. Can someone please step by step instructions (including for TV) how to display on screen menu.
Thanks
Challanged
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2612 of 2633 Old 04-10-2015, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVChallangedNJ View Post
Its been a while since I looked at my onscreen display. I seem to be missing how to initiate the onscreen display. I think I'm hitting the right buttons? I have my Panasonic TV hooked up by HDMI. Can someone please step by step instructions (including for TV) how to display on screen menu.
Thanks
Challanged

Right, must be on HDMI I think.

Pretty sure you just press on remote ... Receiver and then Setup buttons.

Living Room Home-Theater:
Epson 8350 Projector (1080p @ 96") / Panasonic 850u 46" 1080p Plasma TV
Onkyo TX-sr607 AVR (7.2ch ~ HDMI ~ wrat-Amp 630 watts )
AppleTV-4 / Panasonic dmp-BD60 Blu-Ray Disc Player / Cisco 8742hdc DVR (TWC)
Harmony 670 Remote / HTPC (Kodi/Win10-64) Media Server PC / Synology 12tb Raid-5 NAS
Polk Audio Monitor Series-II Speakers (Large 6.1 Matched Separates) / psw-505 12-Inch Sub
post #2613 of 2633 Old 05-09-2015, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The display in the TX SR607 doesn´t appear ...

The display in the onkyo doesn´t appear anymore ...
But the receiver works just fine, I can get image and sound ... I can´t see the volume, the input sound, the listening mode, etc ...
Can anyone help me ?!!?!??!
Thanks a lot !!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #2614 of 2633 Old 05-09-2015, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRpaulorossi View Post
The display in the onkyo doesn´t appear anymore ...
But the receiver works just fine, I can get image and sound ... I can´t see the volume, the input sound, the listening mode, etc ...
Can anyone help me ?!!?!??!
Thanks a lot !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hi PRpaulorossi, if the receiver is non North American model, possible Pure Audio is enabled.
post #2615 of 2633 Old 05-09-2015, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post
Hi PRpaulorossi, if the receiver is non North American model, possible Pure Audio is enabled.
Thanks ...But it´s not the case because the Pure Audio is off ... I´ve already enabled and than disabled but it still doesn´t work ...

It´s european, I´m portuguese.
post #2616 of 2633 Old 05-09-2015, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Thanks ...But it´s not the case because the Pure Audio is off ... I´ve already enabled and than disabled but it still doesn´t work ...
If you haven't yet, perform a soft reset by removing power cord for few minutes. Another thing to try is to reset receiver back to factory default.
post #2617 of 2633 Old 05-10-2015, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post
If you haven't yet, perform a soft reset by removing power cord for few minutes. Another thing to try is to reset receiver back to factory default.
Thanks again ... I´ve already remove the power cord and the problem remains, I still didn´t try to reset to factory default because I would have to program the receiver again and without the display it can become tricky ...

Any other options ?!?!?!
post #2618 of 2633 Old 07-26-2015, 01:58 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks again ... I´ve already remove the power cord and the problem remains, I still didn´t try to reset to factory default because I would have to program the receiver again and without the display it can become tricky ...

Any other options ?!?!?!
I have the same problem with my 607. No onscreen display but also no display on the Onkyo itself. The receiver still works but I cannot change any setting.

Soft reset did not solve it.
Factory reset does not work I think (no display).

Wondering if PRpaulorossi was able to solve it.
post #2619 of 2633 Old 07-26-2015, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxblast72 View Post
I have the same problem with my 607. No onscreen display but also no display on the Onkyo itself. The receiver still works but I cannot change any setting.

Soft reset did not solve it.
Factory reset does not work I think (no display).

Wondering if PRpaulorossi was able to solve it.
Hi there,

No, I couldn´t solve it. It still works but I don´t have the display. I´m thinking in send it to assistence.
If you solve it, please let me know.

Best regards.
post #2620 of 2633 Old 07-26-2015, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Hi there,

No, I couldn´t solve it. It still works but I don´t have the display. I´m thinking in send it to assistence.

Best regards.
Ok too bad. There is a fix but it involves replacing some parts on the main board but that is not something I would try.

Thanks for your reply.
post #2621 of 2633 Old 09-12-2015, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 607 sounded like it has been in the rice krispies . I got a loud crackle ( no snap or pop )on the rt front speaker only like you were attempting to connect an amp to a speaker with the volume all the way up. It did it one day and then it stopped quickly as I was trying to turn down the volume which was only like 21 . Then a couple days later it did it again and went to stand by . I unplugged it for a minute and tried it again only to go back to stand by in a few seconds. Is it time for the can , I have owned it since the model came out .
post #2622 of 2633 Old 11-20-2015, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Hi there,

Best regards.

I opened the receiver and took out the HDMI board. I replaced the 5 capacitors 100uF which should fix the problems with some HDMI inputs and it should also fix my OSD which was not working anymore.

With these new capacitors;

My Cable/Sat HDMI input works again
My OSD is also working again

Now for the dead display.

Under the HDMI board there is another board. According to the service manual, it is a video pc board U0032 (BAVD-0038).
On this board there should be a resistor for the display. A dead display is often caused by this resistor R9010 being blown.
Some owners mention a resistor R9010 but other mention R9001.

Sadly, my video pc board is a bit different from the board in the service manual. I have a European model so perhaps that is the reason.

My board is a BCVD 0038 25140038 and acc to the service manual, the R9010 should be between the D9001 and connector JL8001A but it is not.
On my board this is a D9001 so no resistor I guess.
However, there is a R9001 close to this area but not on the same spot. I replaced it anyway but no luck; no display.
The R9001 resisitor that came out of the Onkyo has these marks on it 221J 1W *91.
So perhaps I replaced the wrong resistor

For now, everything seems to work, except the display.
Perhaps I will give it another try when I can get my hands on of a service manual for my European model.

Last edited by maxblast72; 11-20-2015 at 03:55 AM.
post #2623 of 2633 Old 11-24-2015, 01:58 AM

Update

Replaced the D9001 on the board, where the R9010 should be and my display works again.
post #2624 of 2633 Old 11-28-2015, 10:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVChallangedNJ View Post
Thanks
Challanged

Now MY OnScreen Display (OSD) on HDTV has quit working. I can only see it on Onkyo 607's little led display.

Everything is connected by HDMI. I'm pressing Receiver and then Setup buttons on Remote like always. Everything else is working but I can't imagine using the little LED display for everything, much less a Audyssey calibration.

I tried the "soft reset" (un-plug from wall for 15 minutes), but no help.

Harmony 670 Remote / HTPC (Kodi/Win10-64) Media Server PC / Synology 12tb Raid-5 NAS
Polk Audio Monitor Series-II Speakers (Large 6.1 Matched Separates) / psw-505 12-Inch Sub
post #2625 of 2633 Old 01-07-2016, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a new Vizio M55-C2 TV. It has an HDMI connector for ARC so that a receiver can handle audio and speakers.

My desire is to have the TV handle all video directly (OTA TV, netflix, amazon, DVD, etc.) and have the receiver drive the speakers. I want to use the TV's HDMI connection rather than their audio out (RCA or optical) because I want to connect headphones to the TV's audio out connectors. My hope is to control everything, including volume, with the TV's remote and not have to use the Onkyo's remote at all.

One person has told me that won't work because the Onkyo's HDMI is 1.3a rather than 2.0.

Can anyone confirm whether HDMI audio can be made to work, or am I out of luck with this receiver?
post #2626 of 2633 Old 01-07-2016, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Scharf View Post
I have a new Vizio M55-C2 TV. It has an HDMI connector for ARC so that a receiver can handle audio and speakers.

My desire is to have the TV handle all video directly (OTA TV, netflix, amazon, DVD, etc.) and have the receiver drive the speakers. I want to use the TV's HDMI connection rather than their audio out (RCA or optical) because I want to connect headphones to the TV's audio out connectors. My hope is to control everything, including volume, with the TV's remote and not have to use the Onkyo's remote at all.

One person has told me that won't work because the Onkyo's HDMI is 1.3a rather than 2.0.

Can anyone confirm whether HDMI audio can be made to work, or am I out of luck with this receiver?

Pretty Close. I don't think 607 has HDMI 1.4 (so no ARC or Ethernet over HDMI). But go ahead and try enabling ARC on HDTV and turn on HDMI-CEC and see if you can get it to work anyway.

I think all ARC does is eliminate the extra SPDIF cable (optical or coax) that brings audio (for internal tuners like ATSC and Smart-Apps) back to Amp. Usually, you can just use SPDIF cable, program Amp for it, and it works just like ARC would.

I would try both of the above before writing-off Amp (unless you are ready for an upgrade anyway).

You can connect headphones at 607-Amp.

Last edited by Tesla1856; 01-07-2016 at 02:29 PM. Reason: more info
post #2627 of 2633 Old 03-24-2016, 03:07 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla1856 View Post
Now MY OnScreen Display (OSD) on HDTV has quit working. I can only see it on Onkyo 607's little led display.

Everything is connected by HDMI. I'm pressing Receiver and then Setup buttons on Remote like always. Everything else is working but I can't imagine using the little LED display for everything, much less a Audyssey calibration.

I tried the "soft reset" (un-plug from wall for 15 minutes), but no help.
I seem to have the same problem as you as in i see the setup menu ok on the front display of the SR607 but nothing appears on the TV via HDMI , even though the tv is on the correct hdmi input channel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxblast72 View Post
Update

Replaced the D9001 on the board, where the R9010 should be and my display works again.
Maxblast72 atm my onscreen display is broken ( as in the setup menu ) but the setup display on the front of the SR607 still works ok , when you changed your 5 capacitors did it fix it so that your onscreen display worked again ? but it never fixed your display on the front of the amp untill you changed the D9001 , thats the way i read it is that correct ?
Thanks!
post #2628 of 2633 Old 03-24-2016, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedeath332 View Post
I seem to have the same problem as you as in i see the setup menu ok on the front display of the SR607 but nothing appears on the TV via HDMI , even though the tv is on the correct hdmi input channel.
Right, but we know the TV is on the correct HDMI input or we could not see anything at all (no video of any kind). I don't know about you, but I leave my TV on HDMI-1 ... all switching is done at the Onkyo-607.

Have you tried a Full Master-Reset on the 607?

Hard to believe anything is truly fried on the 607 because everything other than the OSD works fine. It like a program setting is wrong (but there isn't any program control over the OSD). Or maybe, we aren't pressing the right keys. IIRC, it's just pressing RECEIVER and then SETUP buttons on remote.

post #2629 of 2633 Old 03-25-2016, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedeath332 View Post

Maxblast72 atm my onscreen display is broken ( as in the setup menu ) but the setup display on the front of the SR607 still works ok , when you changed your 5 capacitors did it fix it so that your onscreen display worked again ? but it never fixed your display on the front of the amp untill you changed the D9001 , thats the way i read it is that correct ?
Thanks!
Yes correct, my onscreen menu worked again after replacing the 5 capacitors. The front display works again after replacing the mentioned resistor.
Good luck.
post #2630 of 2633 Old 03-25-2016, 03:13 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla1856 View Post
Right, but we know the TV is on the correct HDMI input or we could not see anything at all (no video of any kind). I don't know about you, but I leave my TV on HDMI-1 ... all switching is done at the Onkyo-607.

Have you tried a Full Master-Reset on the 607?

Hard to believe anything is truly fried on the 607 because everything other than the OSD works fine. It like a program setting is wrong (but there isn't any program control over the OSD). Or maybe, we aren't pressing the right keys. IIRC, it's just pressing RECEIVER and then SETUP buttons on remote.
I have not tried the factory reset yet as i did not want the hassle of reprogramming all my settings etc without the onscreen display. and i do have other issues with the amp which is hardware related , i have the issue where the hdmi is not displaying initially ( worse with the box in the mornings ).
post #2631 of 2633 Old 08-18-2016, 11:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've had my Onkyo TX-SR607 for a long time now. Just today I noticed the video stopped being outputted. It seems taking the Chromecast out was the catalyst to this problem.

This post from Ed got my hopes up:

Quote:
Originally Posted by old corps View Post
Did you see this???

Onkyo acknowledges failed units and extending warrranties until 2018

I'm not positive but I think the 607 would be covered by this. Submit your info & see what happens. Best of luck!

Pretty sure the 607 is a 2009 model.

Ed
But when I went to the site and inputted in my serial number and said that the video wasn't working, the message I got back said that my unit was ineligible for this program based on this problem.

I'm going to try calling Onkyo tomorrow and seeing what can be done. I've tried doing the reset with the VCR button and stand-by as well as leaving unplugged for 90 seconds. I saw on - AVForum, a post that mentions trying to plug in an Audyssey mic and then it may start working again

If nothing, it looks like I may have to dump the unit or try my hand at the repairs I've seen mentioned.

Here's a couple links I've highlighted to help me with this:
- From MaxBlast72, later in this thread
- Parts to order from BPB440
- A lot of happy commenters with this
- No solution on this Android thread but I noted it because it seems the catalyst to this problem was the removal of Chromecast. This thread discusses that connecting the Chromecast actually started the problem.
- This AVForums post refers to someone named Genserve who did the repair
- An AVForums DIY thread on the repair of the 607
- One more post I bookmarked on doing the DIY repair
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-08-19 at 12.35.25 AM.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	1611681  
post #2632 of 2633 Old Today, 03:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Onkyo TX-SR607 integrated cooling

Thought I'd share my fix for the overheating issue with this generation of Onkyos.
First of, the well documented capacitor replacement seems to have fixed my issue with picking up HDMI sources. Replaced every cap suggested, going with 105 degree C caps all round.
My 607 is in a low entertainment unit, that only offers about 15mm to each side, and 25mm above it, so very tight for airflow.

I added a 120mm PC case fan to the inside of the amp, over the problematic area around the HDMI card. The fan is suspended (could almost say floats) on aluminium rails using cable ties. The rails are screws to the front plastic, and rear metal case.
The fan is driven by a 2.5amp supply soldered directly to the transformer. The 12vdc output goes to a temp sensor relay board, which can be set to the desired turn on temp.
This then supplies power to a rotary switch which has three fan speeds and an off position. The switch is externally adjustable. Fan speed is limited by different value high wattage resistors.

The relay board also provides power to wires exiting the amp, which plug in to the shelf fans. In the photo it's upside down, the fans are at the back of the entertainment unit, and draw air from the open space below the amp, and push the warm air out the open front of the cabinet. They are four 90 mm fans, with a couple of resistors inline to reduce speed to a good compromise between airflow and minimal noise. The idea with this seemingly complex design was to hide them from direct line of sight, thereby reducing noise a little. Also the construction allows for a dust filter fitted to the 'intake' easily.

I've struck two problems however:
- The UP-A1 ipod dock keeps much of the amp turned on, including supply to the transformer, and the HDMI board. This generates enough heat that my low turn-on temp setting of 33 degrees turns the fan on, even though it's for all intents and purposes, turned off. I hate to think what the standby consumption of this amp is.
- Just the internal fan is so effective that it runs for only a few seconds before the fan is off again. Should've bought the temp relay board with hysteresis!

Ultimately I would like the fan to:
1) only turn on when temp gets high enough, and amp is actually on. May start with setting turn-on temp to 40 degrees (using a board that has hysteresis).
2) keep running to cool the amp once it turns off.

Hopefully I can achieve the above with a relay board with hysteresis and a higher threshold, otherwise I'll be looking to have it only turn on when amp is turned on, and off as soon as it's turned off. I tried to do this using some spare contacts on the HDMI (covered by another poster), but then found out about the UP-A1 'issue', so this didn't achieve what I wanted.
I spent an age trying to find another contact on the board that could trigger my relay, but to no avail. The logical place is the main power relay on the base board, but access to its contacts would require removal of ALL the other boards above it (or cutting through the metal case from underneath - a bit ghetto for me). The other option is to pick up a signal (hard to call it 'power') from the red standby LED that only turns on when the amp is off. This would have to drive a transistor controlled relay board (that tiny led must only need a very small driver, so I dont dare drive a relay coil directly), and hold the fan open circuit when the amp is off. If the UP-A1 is not connected, the power will be off at the transformer, so it wont matter the relay is not held open.

I really wish the engineers at Onkyo had considered the realities of how most people use and place their gear. The space requirements for this amp are so impractical, it basically forces you to put the thing on the open top of your cabinet/rack, or added forced cooling. Not an option for my setup with the TV taking that spot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	amp cover off.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	518.0 KB
ID:	1620153   Click image for larger version

Name:	fans.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	463.0 KB
ID:	1620161   Click image for larger version

Name:	fans top front.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	434.8 KB
ID:	1620225   Click image for larger version

Name:	entertainment unit.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	404.8 KB
ID:	1620233  

Last edited by danbzn35; Today at 04:09 AM. Reason: extra photos
post #2633 of 2633 Old Today, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbzn35 View Post
I added a 120mm PC case fan to the inside of the amp, over the problematic area around the HDMI card.

I think 607 was last mid-sized Onkyo AVR to not have a fan ...

Since install, I've always had an Antec Veris Audio/Video Component Cooler sitting on mine to cool it. I'm sure it's why mine is still working. I turn Veris on (in unison with my 607) with load-sensing power-strip. It just runs on a constant Medium speed. No matter what I use the AVR for (or how loud I play it) that fan speed is enough to keep it luke-warm at most. I wonder why that doesn't work for you?

When I was installing it brand-new, I did some testing. I noticed that the 607 without any supplemental cooling ... on an open shelf ... would get pretty hot just playing 5.1 at low volume. While considered "normal" I didn't like it. Not to mention how hot it got while cranking up the volume toward 80% max. audio output (IIRC, almost too hot to touch).

I always thought that if "constant speed" fan controls didn't work out, I would just install $25 thermostat. You could have 2 ... one on Onkyo and another on nice cabinet fan you built. I remember seeing a lot of cool stuff in online shops that specialize in AVR cabinet cooling solutions.

Last edited by Tesla1856; Today at 09:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Sr607 Receiver
Gear in this thread