AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Receivers, Amps, and Processors (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/)
-   -   CONNECTING EQUALIZER TO RECEIVER..look what I did (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/1136736-connecting-equalizer-receiver-look-what-i-did.html)

AudioBeginner 04-07-2009 11:01 AM

So I got my equalizer today and this is what I did: I connected the RCA cable to the Tape PB of my equalizer and onto the Tape PB of my yamaha v490 and the Rec Out of my equalizer to the Rec Out of my yamaha v490. Pressed "Tape Monitor" on the receiver,pressed "Tape On" and "Equalizer On" on my equalizer and it didn't work! So then I tried to switch the cables around, TAPE PB of equalizer to REC OUT of receiver and REC OUT of equalizer to TAPE PB of receiver, and STILL no luck! :sighs: Any suggestions??

Kal Rubinson 04-07-2009 11:07 AM

???
Rec OUT (Tap OUT?) of the Yamaha to the Rec IN of the EQ.
Rec OUT of the EQ to the Rec IN (Tape PB?) of the Yamaha

AudioBeginner 04-07-2009 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

???
Rec OUT (Tap OUT?) of the Yamaha to the Rec IN of the EQ.
Rec OUT of the EQ to the Rec IN (Tape PB?) of the Yamaha

yes i tried that too^ and still got no effect from my equalizer

JOHNnDENVER 04-07-2009 12:23 PM

You have L/R analog hookups as your audio source? I believe that's the only way this works.

The only other way is to use it between your pre-outs (if this avr has them) and an external amp on the front L/R channels

EQ's such as this do not integrate well at all with 5.1 systems.

MichaelJHuman 04-07-2009 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER View Post

You have L/R analog hookups as your audio source? I believe that's the only way this works.

The only other way is to use it between your pre-outs (if this avr has them) and an external amp on the front L/R channels

EQ's such as this do not integrate well at all with 5.1 systems.

Yet another reason EQs are not popular with modern AVRs I think I mentioned this limitation in the original thread.

JHAz 04-07-2009 01:15 PM

But hteoretically, you should be able to run a device in the tape loop and listen to the device-ified sound, right? I have thought off and on about putting a decent compressor in the tape loop for quiet music times, so I could increase overall level but keep those pesky peaks down. I think it's the same theory, just a different device in the tape loop. Not gonna work (even for 2 channel?) It's clear to me that the processor's compressor settings don't work on CD input . . .

JHAz 04-07-2009 01:16 PM

LOOK! THe dyslexic guy posted again! "theoretically" would be more correct. Theoretically.

DannyMan67 04-07-2009 01:48 PM

I have my old EQ hooked up strictly for the, as my daughter says, "bouncy lights" on my older Denon AVR 5700 ;-) Sure is pretty at night.

Kal Rubinson 04-07-2009 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioBeginner View Post

yes i tried that too^ and still got no effect from my equalizer

Using the L/R analog connections?

penngray 04-07-2009 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

Yet another reason EQs are not popular with modern AVRs I think I mentioned this limitation in the original thread.

Is that a general term? Because I love that I have complete control with the DCX2496.

AudioBeginner 04-07-2009 02:42 PM

Hey guys, I don't see anything on the back of my receiver that says L/R or "analog" there. I see "Phono" "LD/TV" "TAPE" and "VCR"

Lordoftherings 04-07-2009 02:59 PM

I connect an equalizer in the past to my old Pioneer receiver, guess what, I burn out my expensive tweeters.
Since then, no more separate equalizer with any of my receivers.

Audyssey or an integrated Parametric EQ in the receiver is better. You have to be very careful with separate equalisers, never boost the high frequencies more than a couple dbs.
Equalisers are for bad recordings, even then it will make them worst sounding.

That's my opinion about separate equalizers.

Bob

penngray 04-07-2009 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordoftherings View Post

I connect an equalizer in the past to my old Pioneer receiver, guess what, I burn out my expensive tweeters.
Since then, no more separate equalizer with any of my receivers.

Audyssey or an integrated Parametric EQ in the receiver is better. You have to be very careful with separate equalisers, never boost the high frequencies more than a couple dbs.
Equalisers are for bad recordings, even then it will make them worst sounding.

That's my opinion about separate equalizers.

Bob

You do realize that active setups inherently have separate equalizers and that active setups are higher up the food chain in the audio world.

Audyssey is not better either (only Pro might be) but ask some PhDs in the audio world and they will explain why Audyssey is a crude fix to problems that people/rooms create.

Sucks you burned out you tweeter though.

AudioBeginner 04-07-2009 03:12 PM

Does anyone know if Marantz SR-92 mk have a pre-amp out where I could connect an equalizer to it?

Lordoftherings 04-07-2009 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray View Post

You do realize that active setups inherently have separate equalizers and that active setups are higher up the food chain in the audio world.

Audyssey is not better either (only Pro might be) but ask some PhDs in the audio world and they will explain why Audyssey is a crude fix to problems that people/rooms create.

Sucks you burned out you tweeter though.

Audyssey is a much better solution anyway, even if it's not perfect.

My tweeters cost $200 a piece. I burn 4 of them over the years, which is not that bad ($800). But you do learn how to respect them and not to go overboard with the treble control or any type of EQ.

Bob

Sirquack 04-07-2009 03:38 PM

Beginner, why are you wasting your time with an EQ.

AudioBeginner 04-07-2009 03:45 PM

Okay, I tried something else. I connected the cable to the Line In of my equalizer to the Rec Out of my receiver and Line Out of my equalizer to the Tape PB of my receiver. There was sound emanating from the speaker but it was VERY low, even when I turn it up And I was playing around with the Output Level of my equalizer and it seems like it had an effect on the speakers... but like I said, the sound was barely hearable!

AudioBeginner 04-07-2009 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirquack View Post

Beginner, why are you wasting your time with an EQ.

I wanted to roll off the screeching highs of my Boston Acoustics cr6s

Lordoftherings 04-07-2009 03:49 PM

Quote:

No treble control on your receiver?

Your Yamaha 490 does have a treble control, just lower it by about 3db or so.

Bob

AudioBeginner 04-07-2009 04:12 PM

Quote:

No treble control on your receiver?

Your Yamaha 490 does have a treble control, just lower it by about 3db or so.

Bob

I did....But not enough and the more I lower the treble, I less I could hear vocals. I still want vocals to remain pretty prominent

Kal Rubinson 04-07-2009 04:12 PM

Quote:

Hey guys, I don't see anything on the back of my receiver that says L/R or "analog" there. I see "Phono" "LD/TV" "TAPE" and "VCR"

Those are inputs. Are they paired (e.g., L and R)? Do you have a manual? Is there a picture of the back panel?

AudioBeginner 04-07-2009 04:13 PM

Quote:

Those are inputs. Are they paired (e.g., L and R)? Do you have a manual? Is there a picture of the back panel?

I guess I could take a pic of the back of my eq and my yamaha v490 for you then...hold on

Kal Rubinson 04-07-2009 04:14 PM

Quote:

Throw a shawl over them.

Lordoftherings 04-07-2009 04:44 PM

Quote:

Throw a shawl over them.

??//!!!!////!!!!!??????

AudioBeginner 04-07-2009 04:47 PM

Here is the back of my receiver:

http://i44.tinypic.com/wcjt42.jpg

And the back of my equalizer:

http://i40.tinypic.com/2eoy0hs.jpg

Lordoftherings 04-07-2009 04:48 PM

Quote:

I did....But not enough and the more I lower the treble, I less I could hear vocals. I still want vocals to remain pretty prominent

How old is your 490?

Vocals are more concentred aound the midrange area (from about 300hz to 2khz). No midrange control on your Yamaha?

Maybe a new receiver is in your dreams?

Bob

Lordoftherings 04-07-2009 04:52 PM

Quote:

Yep, like Kal said, throw a shall over them.

Just kidding, I will not used an equaliser for the reasons I said before.
But if you really insist...

The tape out of your Yamaha goes to the input of your EQ; the tape in of your Yamaha goes to the output of your EQ. The tape in of your EQ goes to the tape out of your tape deck or CD-R; the tape out of your EQ goes to the tape in of your tape deck or your CD-R. Now push the tape monitor on your Yamaha, choose a source you like to listen to.
Set your EQ to Pre EQ for playback of the equalized sound. Set your EQ to Post EQ for recording the equalized sound. Set your EQ to Source for any other source that you play from your receiver.
Set the EQ switch of your EQ to the IN position for the equalized sound.
Set the EQ switch to the OUT position for the original stereo sound.

Let me know how things goes.

Bob

AudioBeginner 04-07-2009 04:55 PM

Quote:

How old is your 490?

Vocals are more concentred aound the midrange area (from about 300hz to 2khz). No midrange control on your Yamaha?

Maybe a new receiver is in your dreams?

Bob

My yamaha is about 10 years old.. still in very nice condition though

and whaaaatt?? there's actually a receiver out there that has a "Midrange Control" knob like there is a Treble/Bass control on my v490??

AudioBeginner 04-07-2009 04:58 PM

my receiver of my dreams would DEFINITELY consist that of a Midrange Control! And IF there is one existing already, please show me a link/pic!!

Kal Rubinson 04-07-2009 05:00 PM

Quote:

Note the pairs along the bottom are marked as in or out and that each pair consists of a R and L connector. Use the Tape PB/Rec Out pair.

Quote:

These are two L/R pairs. Use the line in/out pair.

If this does not work, something's wrong. I'd just look elsewhere such as changing the speakers or the room acoustics.