Please Help! B&K AVR-202i Buzzes (the unit itself) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-15-2009, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all!

A few days ago, I was listening to some music (not loudly) on my B&K AVR-202i receiver when the music instantly stopped and was replaced with a loud buzzing emanating from the unit itself (not the speakers, which were silent). I quickly shut off the unit (main power) in hopes that it was some sort of fluke, only to find that when I switched on the main power again the buzzing began as soon as it settled into standby. I pushed the sleep button to bring the 202 into operational mode (the buzzing was still happening), and it seemed like another source inside the unit began to buzz in addition to the first.

I called B&K tech support to ask if they could provide some insight as to the cause, and they told me that their first guess would be a transformer failure (OH NO!). Since then, my poor receiver has been sitting lifeless in my component shelf and I'm very distraught over the whole thing. As a poor college student, I lack the funds to replace it with a comparable unit and I'd like to know exactly what is wrong before I send it in to B&K for repairs. If there is anyone out there with ideas as to the source of the problem, I would be very grateful if you could share your wisdom! If there is any other info that I can provide to help with possible responses, please let me know. Thanks!

Edit: I'd like to add that I'm using the receiver in an apartment (for the semester) which has very sketchy power and voltage fluctuations like crazy. I know that I should have had an uninterruptible power supply or something comparable, but it's too late for that now...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-15-2009, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Sounds serious...

Best of luck to you.

I hope someone can help.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-15-2009, 04:16 PM
Advanced Member

B&K charges $65/hr plus cost of parts for repair...and hefty transformers like the ones used by B&K aren't cheap.

You might think about getting a new unit for that much...

Good luck to ya.
post #4 of 5 Old 04-16-2009, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter

Update:

After poking around inside the unit I decided to test the tuner with one speaker attached (I was away from other input devices) and found that even though it was still buzzing from the receiver, the FM signal was being put through to the speakers. This was reassuring, and leads me to believe that the buzzing is from one of the processing chips instead of the transformer.

Does anyone familiar with the inner workings of B&K components have any simple tests that I could perform to determine which card is malfunctioning? I haven't yet tested other input sources, but it's on my TODO list. Of course, due to my lack of experience with sound equipment "guts", my initial guesses could be way off!

Please, if anyone out there can lead me in the right direction, I would be eternally grateful.

More updates to come...
post #5 of 5 Old 04-19-2009, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

Bump for a fellow B&K owner.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page