Emotiva XPA-2 vs. 2x Outlaw Model 2200s for KEF Reference 201/2 Speakers - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 56 Old 04-21-2009, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray View Post

Honestly, I have no idea how to put it on paper or post the description because I do not describe things this way.

I simply knew they did something better! Although I have been to a house with DIY line arrays and I got the same feeling there so they are not alone in moving me a certain way.

Which speakers have you heard that you could recommend I listen to that might sound like them that are a more reasonable price?

Personally I have never heard any better. That would be IMHO of course.

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 56 Old 04-21-2009, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post

Amazing.

Did you not chastise me for posting what you though to be impolite posts?
Yet you and penngray are here together doing exactly what I post about.

The other day you posted, "Human delusion and desire to justify enormous expenses are very, very powerful distorters of our perceptions."
and I responded:
"Human delusion and desire to justify meager acquisitions are a very, very powerful distorter of our perceptions."

Thanks for proving me right.

Anyone stupid enough to spend $13,000 dollars on power cords deserves to be mocked. Did that hit a bit too close to home? Got a couple of "quantum enhanced power cords" sitting around?

Yeah, that really "proves" your point, LOL!
post #33 of 56 Old 04-21-2009, 08:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 29
Quote:

No I do not think the cables offer much relevance.
That is not what my post is about.
Your banter in reference to them was belittling,arrogant and self serving.
You are the one not arguing the point, you are mocking the posters decisions.

Don't tell me you honestly don't understand what you are doing.

Yes, I surely do mock the one guys decisions to waste tons of money on useless extras and I knew I would get a reply from you or others before I finished the summary I was set up

Why do you care what we post about some unknown room?

If I do something stupid, I deserve to be mocked too! Just ask the guys I golf with, Its the way the world works

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
post #34 of 56 Old 04-21-2009, 08:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Which speakers have you heard that you could recommend I listen to that might sound like them that are a more reasonable price?

Personally I have never heard any better. That would be IMHO of course.

I would say the same actually but I have no idea what you like and Im not a speaker professional, there are too many choices out there to know and hear them all. Besides, Im strictly a DIY guy now, commercial doesnt do it for me any more.

post #35 of 56 Old 04-21-2009, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPnBobcats View Post

Anyone stupid enough to spend $13,000 dollars on power cords deserves to be mocked. Did that hit a bit too close to home? Got a couple of "quantum enhanced power cords" sitting around?

Yeah, that really "proves" your point, LOL!

Another troll exposed.

Good job eljr!

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
post #36 of 56 Old 04-21-2009, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I would say the same actually but I have no idea what you like and Im not a speaker professional, there are too many choices out there to know and hear them all. Besides, Im strictly a DIY guy now, commercial doesn't do it for me any more.

If you ever come up with something that you in earnest think are as good for less "shoot me" a PM. I had an incredible offer on the table from my dealer last year but my business was already on the skids so I held off. It was the right move financially but I "need them" eventually.

post #37 of 56 Old 04-21-2009, 08:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

If you ever come up with something that you in earnest think are as good for less "shoot me" a PM. I had an incredible offer on the table from my dealer last year but my business was already on the skids so I held off. It was the right move financially but I "need them" eventually.

You should get into building your own speakers

post #38 of 56 Old 04-21-2009, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:

its sitting on the floor not hooked up...just received it last week, along with the Onkyo 885.

Never heard the M15 so I have no comment on it, if the T-175 is good I would think the M15 is even better.

The M15 actually comes out to be about the same price because it doesn't have a Video proc

"No one can have an idea once he really starts listening" - John Cage
post #39 of 56 Old 04-21-2009, 11:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNY-C View Post

The M15 actually comes out to be about the same price because it doesn't have a Video proc

They can take it out? Didnt know that...pretty cool. I picked up the T-175 for under $1K on the classifieds here.

post #40 of 56 Old 04-21-2009, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

To clarify: the NAD M15 is a surround sound pre/pro as opposed to an AV pre/pro so there is no video section to pay for in the first place. The DVDO Edge video proc. has a separate HDMI output for audio (for an a/v pre/pro like your T-175) and an optical output for non-av pre/pros & receivers. I will be using the optical output from the DVDO Edge as my signal path to the M15 if I go that route.

I'm also taking a very close look at acquiring a used Proceed AVP2 or a Carey Audio Cinema Series Pre/Pro as they can be had for cheap and I'm only concerned with SQ. I don't like the idea of running my video, even in pass-through mode, from a high-quality processor to a low-quality processor.

post #41 of 56 Old 04-21-2009, 02:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I knew they described as a surround sound pre/pro but I honestly never knew why so now I know...Thanks

post #42 of 56 Old 04-21-2009, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I knew they described as a surround sound pre/pro but I honestly never knew why so now I know...Thanks

I think that I'm setting myself up for disaster here with matching the timing of the video with the audio but I'm crazy enough to try

post #43 of 56 Old 04-21-2009, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

What I'm gathering is this: these guys say it's fine and these guys say to spend more money. I'm not trying to build the Queen's system here so I'm going to choose the XPA-2 and press on.

post #44 of 56 Old 04-21-2009, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member

Good choice John.

Quote:

What I'm gathering is this: these guys say it's fine and these guys say to spend more money. I'm not trying to build the Queen's system here so I'm going to choose the XPA-2 and press on.

post #45 of 56 Old 04-21-2009, 06:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I think that I'm setting myself up for disaster here with matching the timing of the video with the audio but I'm crazy enough to try

I run full house HD video and audio using 8 zone video/audio matrix switches ( I even can convert HDMI to component video!), I doubt you will have problems and if you do I would think the M15 has audio delay options.

post #46 of 56 Old 04-22-2009, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I run full house HD video and audio using 8 zone video/audio matrix switches ( I even can convert HDMI to component video!), I doubt you will have problems and if you do I would think the M15 has audio delay options.

The DVDO Edge does too . I'm waiting for a good deal on those Reference 201/2 and not the one with the center channel on Amazon.com - I'm skeptical that I couldn't do better. Here's what I'm starting with:

"Thumbs up Research Pays off: The Best "Pre/Pro" for the money NAD M15 + DVDO Edge + Sony S550

Big thanks to everyone that contributes to the AVS Forums! I just ordered my dream electronics set-up with every feature I could ever want and I didn't spend a ton of money. I wanted to share my components and I will update everyone with my findings so others can replicate my set-up if it performs as well as it should.

The Set-up:

I just purchased a refurbished NAD Masters Series M15 pre/pro with a 2-year NAD warranty from Amazon.com for $1600, a DVDO Edge for $700 and a BDP-S550 for $379 (I also have a Tivo HD XL, Emotiva XPA-3, KEF IQ30s and a KEF IQ60c center on the way)

The Upside:

All you need is a Sony BDP S-550 Blu-Ray player to decode HBR/MA audio, a DVDO Edge to process video and to pass along the audio signal to the M15 via HDMI. With this set-up, you have all of the functionality of a $3,000+ AV pre/pro but you're going to get much better video processing, better sound quality (unless you're in the Anthem+ category and even then, SQ is debatable) and one of the best Blu-Ray players to hit the market. You can use the money that you save to buy a stand-alone active room correction device in the future too (they should be <$1,500 in the next 6 months at this pace)!

The Details:

Threads to pay closer attention to if you don't want to settle by buying an Integra DHC9.9 or spending more on a "buggy" Cary Cinema 11a or the expensive, but near-flawless, Anthem D2v:

SSPs to ignore :
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=940065
Blu-Ray Players to research for DTS HD-MA capability :
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post14323698
DVDO Edge :
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1051246

Not to mention that there shouldn't be any issues with the S-550 outputting Direct/PCM audio because it's all going out over HDMI with the Edge doing the separation of the DTS HD-MA signal.

What are your thoughts? Did I do a good job?"

post #47 of 56 Old 04-22-2009, 05:36 PM

Did NAD bring out an update to support LPCM over HDMI or is it still just video?
post #48 of 56 Old 04-23-2009, 04:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougWinsor View Post

Did NAD bring out an update to support LPCM over HDMI or is it still just video?

I don't think so; I'll have to bypass the Edge for audio with the M15...

post #49 of 56 Old 04-23-2009, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What are your thoughts? Did I do a good job?"
[/indent]

Heck yeah! Enjoy!

post #50 of 56 Old 04-25-2009, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Heck yeah! Enjoy!

Thanks a lot, I truly appreciate that.

I'm getting a lot of mixed feedback here but if they were listening to what I'm listening too: I think they would have said something as nice as you.

post #51 of 56 Old 04-25-2009, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Us NYers generally know whats best for ourselves.

post #52 of 56 Old 04-25-2009, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Us NYers generally know whats best for ourselves.

That's why I'm going to give my set-up a rest and hit the beer garden with some friends. What's best is being outside today

post #53 of 56 Old 04-25-2009, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's why I'm going to give my set-up a rest and hit the beer garden with some friends. What's best is being outside today

mcsorleys still on 7th street?

have a brew for me as well!

post #54 of 56 Old 04-25-2009, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

mcsorleys still on 7th street?

have a brew for me as well!

I think we're going to the one in Queens today... I've been to Zum Schneider and Hallo Berlin but I haven't hit anything outdoors yet. Should be fun.

post #55 of 56 Old 04-26-2009, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken_sai69 View Post

For the close minded:

Sure..of course it's not....show me what you have owned, then we'll talk. I have seen too many "this is not a fan post" in a Honda forum. Of course Emotiva is the best amplifier under the sun when paired with a high efficient (90db+) speakers. I am pretty sure all audio magazines are talking garbage. I am sure all those big brands and going bankrupt very soon. Emotiva making those XPA-1 really just a proof of concept, the true differential circuit really doesn't give you anything extra.

For ppl who have a more open mind, the sound quality per dollar curve is not linear. For that tiny bit of difference, some ppl are willing to spend the extra money. It may not be for most ppl, but for some, it is worth the penny. How hard is it to see that? All I am suggesting is that the Pass Lab pair quite nicely with the KEF, if that is too much for some to accept, I really can't help it.

I have a question to ask: Why wouldn't reputable amp manufacturer 'Brand X' with a certain set of specifications for their amp that is comparable, but 2-3 times as expensive as 'Brand Y' , drive the KEF's and not the less expensive 'Brand Y'.

I mean I could drive a pair of Polk Synchrony speakers with a $200 Behringer A500 quite easily. The amp is definately rated to handle those speakers. I could also drive them with a Parasound 2125 at ~$700. They both will drive those speakers. Now I am not pretending to say the A500 is in the same league with the Parasound. But I would tell someone to 'Use their Ears'.

Instead of dogging Emotiva/Outlaw or whomever is making a good dollar to performance amp, just be open minded. Use your ears, buy what you think sounds best if you don't have a budget consideration.

An audiophile likes to talk about how much they spent and how good it sounds.

A DIY'er likes to talk about how little they spent and how good it sounds.

post #56 of 56 Old 04-26-2009, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinjuku View Post

I have a question to ask: Why wouldn't reputable amp manufacturer 'Brand X' with a certain set of specifications for their amp that is comparable, but 2-3 times as expensive as 'Brand Y' , drive the KEF's and not the less expensive 'Brand X'.

I mean I could drive a pair of Polk Synchrony speakers with a $200 Behringer A500 quite easily. The amp is definately rated to handle those speakers. I could also drive them with a Parasound 2125 at ~$700. They both will drive those speakers. Now I am not pretending to say the A500 is in the same league with the Parasound. But I would tell someone to 'Use their Ears'.

Instead of dogging Emotiva/Outlaw or whomever is making a good dollar to performance amp, just be open minded. Use your ears, buy what you think sounds best if you don't have a budget consideration.

I consider myself to be a critical listener and I am truly impressed with the Emotiva XPA-3. As I mentioned before, I have Beyerdynamic DT880 ear goggles with Headroom pre & amp so I have a good baseline to compare to. That being said, I'm impressed -- and not just relatively impressed -- that I'm getting very dynamic and detailed sound and it's apparent to everyone that listens. I've had about 10 people through here to listen and everyone truly enjoyed how musical the set-up is.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page