Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 517 Old 07-17-2009, 10:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickednebula View Post

i need help . i want to run my satellite box into my 507 via component but i get no video out via hdmi to my projector do i have to run a component cable from my receiver to my projector . i was thinking the receiver would convert the signal and transmit it over hdmi am i wrong . thanks for any help .

I don't think the 507 will do that. I think the Denon 1610 is the lowest AVR that'll convert analog to HDMI. You'll probably have to run video to the projector and audio to the 507.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 517 Old 07-17-2009, 07:26 PM

Morning all,

I've just ordered a 507 from play and am replacing a Sony STR-KS1000 HDMI 5.1 HTiB. I orginally got the Sony 2 years ago coz it was the only HDMI AVR I could find out there in my price range.

After reading a helluva lot of info I finally understand exactly what my PS3 is doing with my audio and I've realised that i'm not actually getting the full daddy HD sound (and that the stoopid AVR can't pull sound off the HDMI anyway!), and so I've decided to take the plunge and enter the really real world of Home Theatre and I forked over £280 notes to play.com for the Onkyo (BARGAIN!).

I will have to use the speakers I've got for the time being (until I can afford half-decent replacements) and know that the Onkyo is gonna make them sound better than they've ever sounded anyway so I can't wait for it to arrive, however the sub that came with the Sony is obviously just a passive one with bog standard cabling and proprietary Sony connection and the Onkyo has an RCA pre-out.

Is there any way of getting my Sony sub to work with my new shiny Onky? Or do i really have to wait till next month when i can afford a decent active sub...?

I've looked at some £100ish subs which i could buy right now like the Tannoy EFX, Tangent Millenium, Kenwood SW 40HT, i've even seen a Jamo around that price, but I've been told (and read!) there's no point buying an Onkyo and then coupling it with a cheap sub.

Although compared to most of the stuff out there I know the 507 is small potatoes, I still want to get the best I can out of it and build a system that can last....... However I'm also impatient and poor and really don't wont to go a month without sub if there is an easy fix! If there is a way of making the best use of my existing speakers while I save up for something with Mission or Infinity on the front i sure would like to know how... or if someone has a recommendation for a good budget sub.

Thanks guys

Update: After hunting around for a bit i've decided to forgo a sub altogether and will be ordering Mission MV-8 to use as fronts, MC-C and MV-6 for the rears, and prob get the MV-AS sub last. Will let y'all know how it sounds.
post #183 of 517 Old 07-24-2009, 10:47 AM

I am gathering the answer is yes but i just want to double check. With the receiver in standby mode and my comcast dvr connected by hdmi to the avr and hdmi from avr to tv, I will?? be able to get video and audio without having to turn on the receiver everytime? Thx all for your time I currently have a yammy 465 that can do this but am having some handshake issues and will likely exchange it for the onkyo 507 or denon 590.
post #184 of 517 Old 07-24-2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Bahama View Post

So far this thread focuses mostly on problems people are having. I'd like to know about (onscreen) setup and Dynamic Volume/EQ. I've seen posts asking about this but they've gone unanswered so far...

Does the onscreen display work over HDMI?
Thoughts on the OSD in general?

Would love to hear from anyone in an apartment/condo situation (where complaints from neighbors can be a problem) - does the Dynamic Volume/EQ work well? Does it work on any sort of audio input? (My current receiver, a Yamaha, has a night mode, but it works poorly - and only on a DD signal. Unfortunately, I get a $50 ticket from the HOA every time a neighbor complains, so this is a BIG issue for me.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by atbear View Post

No problems here... but I haven't used the OSD (using the setup on the unit itself is plenty easy). Dynamic EQ seems to be good. Dynamic Volume I haven't played with much yet. I'll let you know as soon as I come to any conclusions.

I am also curious about how effective the Dynamic Volume feature is on the 507.
post #185 of 517 Old 07-25-2009, 10:36 AM

I just got my onkyo 507 and this is the first time for me to try this brand.

When adjusting the reciever, I don't get any picture of the adjustments on the tv screen. Everything is done throught the LCD of the AVr.

Is it possible to display this on the tv?
post #186 of 517 Old 07-26-2009, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefy314 View Post

I just got my onkyo 507 and this is the first time for me to try this brand.

When adjusting the reciever, I don't get any picture of the adjustments on the tv screen. Everything is done throught the LCD of the AVr.

Is it possible to display this on the tv?

I have had and used this AVR since it was released in April.
and I'm 99.999% sure that their is NO On Screen Display for this unit.
Remember this is Onkyo's Entry Level model that decodes the latest Hi-Def Surround Sound..
I can say that the dynamic volume work's great although using the Auto setup my surround speakers seem to be set a little high for my taste..
post #187 of 517 Old 07-26-2009, 08:34 AM

Location: Steps from the beach in Margaritaville (a state of mind between Inebriation and Sahuarita), AZ
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfarias View Post

I have had and used this AVR since it was released in April.
and I'm 99.999% sure that their is NO On Screen Display for this unit.
Remember this is Onkyo's Entry Level model that decodes the latest Hi-Def Surround Sound..
I can say that the dynamic volume work's great although using the Auto setup my surround speakers seem to be set a little high for my taste..

Thank you for answering the questions!
post #188 of 517 Old 07-27-2009, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killahb36 View Post

I am gathering the answer is yes but i just want to double check. With the receiver in standby mode and my comcast dvr connected by hdmi to the avr and hdmi from avr to tv, I will?? be able to get video and audio without having to turn on the receiver everytime? Thx all for your time I currently have a yammy 465 that can do this but am having some handshake issues and will likely exchange it for the onkyo 507 or denon 590.

bump.....
post #189 of 517 Old 07-27-2009, 11:56 AM

I am about to pull the trigger and get a TX-SR507 but wanted to make sure that if I connect my Dell laptop via HDMI to this receiver, and if my Sony DLP TV is connected to the HDMI out on the receiver, that this will give me video thru the TV and audio thru all the speakers?
post #190 of 517 Old 07-28-2009, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heat23 View Post

I am about to pull the trigger and get a TX-SR507 but wanted to make sure that if I connect my Dell laptop via HDMI to this receiver, and if my Sony DLP TV is connected to the HDMI out on the receiver, that this will give me video thru the TV and audio thru all the speakers?

Yes, it has an HDMI repeater which does the job. I just picked up this receiver
yesterday and the first thing I did was hook my laptop (Dell XPS 1330) to
the thing and the sound is so incredible! It was so good I replaced the Pioneer
1018 with it (I only have 5 speakers) and moved the Pioneer upstairs. Oh, and yes,
the TV output works simultaneously with the sound. Don't worry... buy and enjoy!
post #191 of 517 Old 07-28-2009, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by killahb36 View Post

I am gathering the answer is yes but i just want to double check. With the receiver in standby mode and my comcast dvr connected by hdmi to the avr and hdmi from avr to tv, I will?? be able to get video and audio without having to turn on the receiver everytime? .

No, it doesn't. As soon as I turn off my receiver, there's no video on the TV.
Interestingly, there's an option to pass-through audio to the TV if you wish,
but the receiver still needs to be turned on.
post #192 of 517 Old 07-28-2009, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nambit View Post

really i thought denon onkyo and the new yamaha avrs were known to have this ability? i already have the rx-v465 and it can do this but again i am looking to switch up to a different avr.
post #193 of 517 Old 07-28-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nambit View Post

Yes, It does you have to wait a few seconds for it to come back on.
I just tried it.
(Press setup button
Scroll up or down to #7 Hardware setup press enter
Scroll up or down to 7-3 HDMI Enter
Scroll up/down to HDMI CTRL left or right to HDMI CTRL ON
Scroll down to POWER CTRL left or right to power ctrl ON
scroll down to TV CTRL left or right to TV CTRL ON)
turn off AVR
try it out...
post #194 of 517 Old 07-31-2009, 08:22 AM

I want to hook up all thress components with the 507 via hdmi I was wondering if anyone had even one of these components to let me know if it plays nice/ handshakes ok with the 507 thx all.

1)Pioneer 42 PDP-42A3HD Plasma
2)samsung bd-p2550 blu ray
3)motorola dct 3412 hdmi dvr
post #195 of 517 Old 08-03-2009, 12:56 AM

Location: Steps from the beach in Margaritaville (a state of mind between Inebriation and Sahuarita), AZ
My 507 came a few days ago and I've spent a fair bit of time playing with it. It replaced a Yamaha HTR-5860 (110x7 - no HDMI). Here are my thoughts (in no particular order)...
  • It was weird (but good weird) hooking everything up with so few cables.
  • Calibration was simplae and straightforward. I waited til it was really late (2AM) to do it (upstairs neighbors were still stomping around at 1AM! ) Went to extreme lengths (shutting windows, turning off anything with a fan. Even unplugged the fridge) to get the environment as quiet as possible. The results were well worth the extra trouble.
  • Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume work together incredibly well. After calibrating I watched I Am Legend with Dynamic Volume was set to medium. At 2AM in a condo complex I had to keep the volume low - yet I had no trouble hearing any of the dialog. Never could've pulled that off with the Yammy. Interestingly, the loud scenes still "felt" loud, but reexaming it the following day (and keeping myself detached from the movie) I realized that they really aren't that loud.
  • My setup consists of a Blu-Ray player and HD TiVo as (HDMI) sources (plus an iPhone dock (not Onkyo's pricey, proprietary one) connected to the CD input via analog stereo connection.) The HDMI output goes to a mechanical HDMI switch from Monoprice, modified to operate as a 1-in-2-out switcher. (Tried a splitter- it didn't work.) One output from the splitter goes to my projector (in the living room); the other goes to a Samsung LCD TV in the bedroom (via a TrippLite HDMI-over-CAT5e extender). Everything works surprisingly well.
  • Bass response after calibration was excellent (though I manually selected a lower subwoofer crossover point than the one set by the Audyssey system.)
Things it's lacking that I wish it had:
  • on-screen display
  • ability to label inputs
Overall sound quality is excellent relative to my old Yamaha. (I suspect this has something to do with the much more advanced Audyssey 2EQ system vs. Yamaha's proprietary auto-calibration function.) In fact, I was quite surprised at what an improvement this was.

The level of improvement I got by going from DVD to Blu-Ray was actually surpassed by the level of improvement I got from this receiver upgrade. (That was totally unexpected.) Mind you, my projector is 720p - not 1080p. If I had a 1080p projector and went from DVD to Blu-Ray, I'd probably feel differently, but all things in time...

Dynamic Volume was one of my main reasons for upgrading. I live in an oceanfront condo complex which is mostly vacation rentals, so it's more like a resort hotel than a condo complex. As a result, "security" is tight. One complaint from a neighbor and I find a $50 ticket on my door. If you live in a situation where neighbor complaints are an issue (or you worry about waking small children), I can enthusiastically recommend this receiver.

I've had a lot of audio gear over the years, including some very high end speakers, amplifiers and preamp/processors. This receiver is a perfect example of how technology is effectively bridging the gap between budget-level mid-fi and high end audio. This receiver has significantly exceeded my expectations.
post #196 of 517 Old 08-04-2009, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

Things it's lacking that I wish it had:
  • on-screen display
  • ability to label inputs
Overall sound quality is excellent relative to my old Yamaha. (I suspect this has something to do with the much more advanced Audyssey 2EQ system vs. Yamaha's proprietary auto-calibration function.) In fact, I was quite surprised at what an improvement this was.

Nice review Donny. There is no ability to customize the input names (i.e. BR DVD, Cable DVR, HD DVD, etc.)? What is your impression of the heat that the unit throws out of its top cover? I had an Onkyo 606 briefly and it got pretty hot topside after modest use. Other Onkyos are reputed to have the same characteristics. Thanks.
post #197 of 517 Old 08-04-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post

There is no ability to customize the input names (i.e. BR DVD, Cable DVR, HD DVD, etc.)?

Correct. The 607 has this, along with OSD, 7.2, Dolby PLIIz and analog upconversion. That's a lot of great features for an extra $100, but I just can't spare the extra Benjamin right now.
Quote:

What is your impression of the heat that the unit throws out of its top cover? I had an Onkyo 606 briefly and it got pretty hot topside after modest use. Other Onkyos are reputed to have the same characteristics. Thanks.

Onkyos run hotter than other receivers. I haven't looked into the actual engineering principles of their WRAT amps, but I suspect that their output stages are biased more toward Class A than most typical AVRs. Maybe that's why they sound so nice. At any rate, there's hot, and then there's HOT. AFAIK, heat-related failures are not a significant/common problem for Onkyos, so it's an issue I can live with. Probably not a good idea to set an ice cold beverage on it anyway. But seriously, all it takes is a little common sense to ensure decent ventilation and then you're fine.

Actually, that brings up another thing I meant to list under "Things it's lacking that I wish it had" - switched rear-panel power outlets. I don't know why Onkyo has decided not to incorporate these; they used to be such a standard feature on receivers. The reason I really wish it had them is so that a low-speed exhaust fan could turn on whenever the receiver is powered on. (Buying 230VAV fans at a surplus shop works well for this; when you plug them into a 110 outlet, they run at half the speed and are typically whisper quiet.) This would probably be essential if my gear was in a cabinet, but for now it isn't. I do have some snap-in panel mount AC outlets, but cutting a hole in the rear panel and wiring them in is risky business and requires SERIOUS masking to ensure that no metal shavings end up in the receiver's circuitry. I've done it before to another Onkyo receiver I used to have, though, and it worked fine. If my situation ever changes, I won't hesitate to mod this one.
post #198 of 517 Old 08-05-2009, 12:46 PM

I've had the SR 507 a few weeks now.

I feel the Audyssey Dynamic controller is a mixed bag. On one hand, it works. At night, I can listen to a movie with a wide range and it will keep the sound at a decent level. On the other hand, during scenes where the dynamics are fluctuating wildly, the sounds really sound muffled and suppressed.

But like I said, this is probably a better alternative from frantically raising and lowering the volume.

Based on this thread, I learned that I can watch with the receiver on standby. Before I go messing around with this, how does it know what source to pass up to the TV?

Harmony One users... I am finding that with the default delay settings almost 50% of the time the receiver fails to turn on from standby when running an activity when everything was off. I'll use the Help feature to turn it on. Additionally, when this happens, when I go to turn everything off, everything will turn off except the receiver. I think there might even be a chance that the receiver is turning off then turning right back on. Anyone experiencing this?
post #199 of 517 Old 08-06-2009, 12:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

My 507 came a few days ago and I've spent a fair bit of time playing with it. It replaced a Yamaha HTR-5860 (110x7 - no HDMI). Here are my thoughts (in no particular order)...

Since you have a TivoHD, can you tell me whether your SR507 is affected by this issue?

Quote:

Onkyo TX-SR606 loses audio for 2-3 seconds after trickplay functions (30sec skip, pause -> play, etc)

This popular A/V receiver responds to breaks in the Dolby Digital signal by dropping audio output for 2-3 seconds. This is a significant improvement over the 2008 models, which would lose audio entirely and/or lose the center channel, but is still something that needs to be corrected.

Denon, Pioneer, Sony, and most other A/V receivers do not exhibit this issue.

[From the TivoHD "Known Issues" list]

post #200 of 517 Old 08-06-2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:

Actually, that brings up another thing I meant to list under "Things it's lacking that I wish it had" - switched rear-panel power outlets. I don't know why Onkyo has decided not to incorporate these; they used to be such a standard feature on receivers. The reason I really wish it had them is so that a low-speed exhaust fan could turn on whenever the receiver is powered on.

+1... +10... +100!!!

I have a 607 and somebody posted a link to your review post above over at the 607 thread, so I thought I'd come over here and read the whole thing. Nice review! Glad you are happy with your purchase. I love my 607, and it was not hard to fall for considering my last AVR was a 15 year-old TX-SV414Pro.

Which brings me to your comment. I just had to throw in my 2¢. I didn't even realize that the 607 did not have a switched outlet until I pulled it out of the box. My first response? WTF?!? I had this "standard feature" on my 414Pro, which I used for my CD player which did not have a power button on the remote (back in the day I only used the AVR for the CD player... no TV!). I never even thought of using a fan before, but then again I had a lot more clearance. Now it is a different story.

So, I checked Onkyo's site to find out where the *hell* the switched outlet went, and boy was I surprised... I would have to shelf out $1200 (MSRP) to get one!!! They have one on the 876 and 906. That's right... ONE! I had TWO on the 414Pro!

Now, I am sure someone out there can go all technical on me and tell me exactly why they left them off, but I don't think it would convince me why Onkyo would drop such a huge convenience factor like this. It don't make no sense.

Anyway, before your go modding your rig, have you thought of using something like a Smart Strip for your fan? If you have, is there a particular reason you didn't?

I am considering getting one of these and a fan or two. My entertainment center has gotten a little cramped since the 607 is taller than the 414Pro. I had to remove 1 component (a VCR, aka the large LCD clock that sat below the Dish receiver), and place one on top of the AVR (Panasonic BD35). No, it's not what you think... I am not blocking the vents. I bought a wire letter tray from OfficeMax, inverted it, and set the BD player on top. It is just the right height to have the BD35 the maximum height allowable above the AVR. And it's stable. Believe me, I hunted for several days trying to find the perfect item to do this. I was patting myself on the back for several days. Now, people comment on my floating BD player. It's pretty cool.

VSP

Thoughts are thinking; Thunk from knowing
nwod gniog em peek reverof sthguohT
post #201 of 517 Old 08-06-2009, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemTiger0408 View Post

On the other hand, during scenes where the dynamics are fluctuating wildly, the sounds really sound muffled and suppressed.

I noticed this, too, but it's infrequent (and a small price to pay for those of us who really need the dynamic range control.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

Since you have a TivoHD, can you tell me whether your SR507 is affected by this issue?

I'll test it and get back to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanSoulPatch View Post

Anyway, before your go modding your rig, have you thought of using something like a Smart Strip for your fan? If you have, is there a particular reason you didn't?

Didn't know those existed. Cool stuff, thanks for the heads up!
Quote:

No, it's not what you think... I am not blocking the vents. I bought a wire letter tray from OfficeMax, inverted it, and set the BD player on top. It is just the right height to have the BD35 the maximum height allowable above the AVR. And it's stable. Believe me, I hunted for several days trying to find the perfect item to do this. I was patting myself on the back for several days. Now, people comment on my floating BD player. It's pretty cool.

Sounds pretty cool! I'm using clear glass votive candle holders between the components in my stack. Got 'em from Ikea for like 10 cents a piece (thanks to those hard working children in third-world sweat shops). They look really nice and provide good clearance.
post #202 of 517 Old 08-06-2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:

I'm using clear glass votive candle holders between the components in my stack. Got 'em from Ikea for like 10 cents a piece (thanks to those hard working children in third-world sweat shops). They look really nice and provide good clearance.

D'oh! Didn't even think of those! I was racking my head trying to find something until I stumbled across the letter tray. Of course, I wanted 2.5" of clearance (the max allowable), so I don't think I would want my BD35 sitting on votives that tall. I also got little rubber feet for the tray, so it's not going anywhere. Once I get an external pic site set up, I can post an image of what mine looks like.

BTW, shop around for the Smart Strip if you go for it... Amazon has them for less than that site (which might be the mfr...? dunno).

Thoughts are thinking; Thunk from knowing
nwod gniog em peek reverof sthguohT
post #203 of 517 Old 08-06-2009, 06:27 PM

So I tried to use the mode where the TV can be on with the receiver off. I went through the steps and the TV is displaying an imagine. However, when I go to control the volume the TV displays "Anynet" and shows a weird volume bar animation and TX-SR507 is displayed next to it.

But ultimately, there is no sound. What gives?
post #204 of 517 Old 08-06-2009, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemTiger0408 View Post

So I tried to use the mode where the TV can be on with the receiver off. I went through the steps and the TV is displaying an imagine. However, when I go to control the volume the TV displays "Anynet" and shows a weird volume bar animation and TX-SR507 is displayed next to it.

But ultimately, there is no sound. What gives?

I ran into that, too, whilst mucking about with the settings. Here's what you need...

Setup > 7.HardwareSetup > 7-3.HDMI

Set AudioTVOut to ON
Set HDMI Ctrl to OFF
post #205 of 517 Old 08-06-2009, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

It doesn't seem to be. There is a slight gap in the audio after any trick-play feature, but I think it's probably less than a quarter of a second.
post #206 of 517 Old 08-07-2009, 10:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

It doesn't seem to be. There is a slight gap in the audio after any trick-play feature, but I think it's probably less than a quarter of a second.

Thanks. A short delay (i.e. less than 0.5s) is normal.

Sounds like Onkyo eliminated the issue with their 2009 models.
post #207 of 517 Old 08-07-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanSoulPatch View Post

BTW, shop around for the Smart Strip if you go for it... Amazon has them for less than that site (which might be the mfr...? dunno).

Looks like Philips makes (made?) something very similar, but with 1 master, 4 slave, and one "regular" outlets. I'm finding these for $15 or less. Cool!
post #208 of 517 Old 08-09-2009, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Just picked up a 507 for our second setup and, except for the fact that it gets much hotter than my Pioneer, I really like it. Audyssey did a good job of calibration although I did have to jack the Source Intelligent volumes up to 10 and tone down the surrounds a bit. I have a problem with my Harmony 880 remote. Both of our setups have a Sony Bravia and a BR player. Our primary room has the Pioneer AVR. If I'm watching TV without the Pioneer on and then decide to use the AVR, I can hit that activity on the 880 and in order: the TV stays on and indicates its HDMI input (doesn't change), the cable box stays on the Pioneer turns on, switches to the correct input and I'm off and running. With the Onkyo, however, when I do the same thing, while the AVR turns on and switches to the correct CBL/Sat input, the Sony TV turns off. I can use the Help button on the 880 but that's obviously not ideal. Is there a conflict in the Harmony's power toggle between the Onkyo and the Sony that anyone is aware of?
post #209 of 517 Old 08-09-2009, 10:36 AM

My 507 is starting to do some weird stuff... won't accept input from the remote - won't switch inputs, adjust volume, etc. If I power it off, wait a few seconds, then power it back on, then it works. Plus, it's starting to give me "Mode Not Supported" and/or give me picture but no sound.

I'm going to take advantage of the situation and upgrade to a a 607. Hope it doesn't have the same issues!
post #210 of 517 Old 08-10-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:

My 507 is starting to do some weird stuff... won't accept input from the remote - won't switch inputs, adjust volume, etc. If I power it off, wait a few seconds, then power it back on, then it works. Plus, it's starting to give me "Mode Not Supported" and/or give me picture but no sound.

I'm going to take advantage of the situation and upgrade to a a 607. Hope it doesn't have the same issues!

Also having weird problems and it is related to Zone 2. Sometimes activating Zone 2 shuts down the receiver. It does not happen everytime but is hit and miss. Turning receiver back on it will not pass any external source. Display will read the proper source but I get no output. Only thing that works is the Tuner. I have to reboot the receiver by executing the CLEAR function. This is done by holding down the VCR source button on the front of the receiver then hitting the Standby button. Display will read "CLEAR". I am very disappointed with this purchase. I really like the receiver and the sound quality, but I do not bother to calibrate the receiver anymore because weekly I am forced to reboot the receiver losing all settings. I have asked this before, but has anyone else had lock-up and shut down issues like this? Especially, caused by Zone 2 activation?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page