Onkyo TX-SR507 Owners Thread and First Impressions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 517 Old 04-23-2009, 01:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm the proud new owner of an Onkyo TX-SR507 receiver. It's hooked up to Energy Take Classic speakers, a Panasonic 42" EDTV plasma and an Xbox 360 (HDMI). The 507 and speakers replace a Panasonic HTiB so take my comments with a grain of salt -- I am new to these things.

I'm still playing with the settings. Right now it is set up with auto calibration settings. I am listening to music right now, which is blowing me away. I put on some opera for some dynamic range and it gave me goosebumps. I also put in a movie ("The Last Samurai"), but I found the volume range a bit too big for me -- i.e., lowering the volume so that explosions would not be too loud made the dialogue too quiet. I dunno what to do with that. I also put in Madden 2009 and noticed that the rear surrounds were disproportionately loud and I could barely hear the front speakers. Again, I may be in the wrong mode or maybe I botched the auto calibration.

One thing I should note is my rear surrounds are at ear level and right at the edges of the couch -- this is due to space limitations and height limitations of my stand (Omnimount EL0).

Overall, I am very happy and I'm looking forward to playing with more settings to maximize the experience. Please feel free to ask questions if you are thinking of buying a 507.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 517 Old 04-23-2009, 03:33 AM

]"but I found the volume range a bit too big for me -- i.e., lowering the volume so that explosions would not be too loud made the dialogue too quiet. I dunno what to do with that."

Have you tried to just raise the center speaker volume only? That's where
most of the dialogue originates.
post #3 of 517 Old 04-23-2009, 06:43 AM

I'm been seriously considering the 507 so I'm glad you started this thread. I think one big question that's probably going to come up is "How hot does the receiver get over time?". Last years' models seemed to run pretty hot and was an issue for some people.
post #4 of 517 Old 04-23-2009, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick in NY View Post

Have you tried to just raise the center speaker volume only? That's where most of the dialogue originates.

I noticed most of the front speakers were relatively quiet. I'm going to rerun Audyssey and if that fails increase the volume of the front speakers.
post #5 of 517 Old 04-23-2009, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikaden View Post

I'm been seriously considering the 507 so I'm glad you started this thread. I think one big question that's probably going to come up is "How hot does the receiver get over time?". Last years' models seemed to run pretty hot and was an issue for some people.

That was an issue for me too. Another poster also has the 507 and says it gets warm but not too hot to touch. I felt it yesterday after using it for an hour or two and it wasn't warm yet. But I was listening at relatively low volumes to break in the speakers for whatever that's worth.
post #6 of 517 Old 04-23-2009, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gungadin25 View Post

That was an issue for me too. Another poster also has the 507 and says it gets warm but not too hot to touch. I felt it yesterday after using it for an hour or two and it wasn't warm yet. But I was listening at relatively low volumes to break in the speakers for whatever that's worth.

I think that's me you're referring to gungadin regarding the previous poster and how hot the speakers get. I too got the 507 about a week or so ago and the heat doesn't seem to be a problem to me but as I posted before I'm a total HT newb.

I've been checking the heat it's been given off pretty much every day and only last night did it really seem to get fairly warm to the touch. And when I say warm I mean I only wanted to keep my hand on it for about 8-10 seconds before it was very uncomfortable. This was after having it on for say 6 hours maybe?

I would like to state that I'm probably not giving it as much "breathing room" on top as I should. Basically, I've got my BD player sitting directly on top of the 507. The BD player is about 3" 'shallower' (not as deep) than the 507 leaving about 2" of vents exposed. I'm sure I should have the BD player sitting elsewhere but I'm gonna run with it for a bit as I don't have too many great options. ::fingers crossed:: Again, I'm sure I'd have completely different results if I had more space on top of the 507.

Other than that I love it but don't have anything to compare it to though. I now often wonder why I waited so long to set up a HT for myself. This is ridiculous! I can now barely remember what it was like before the days of surround sound. Which was like 10 days ago!

Hope this helps!
post #7 of 517 Old 04-24-2009, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter

Gabe,

Which modes do you use for different inputs? Personally, I like all channel for music. I'm not sure what to use for movies and games -- sticking with direct for now...sometimes bass is a little lacking for movies though.
post #8 of 517 Old 04-24-2009, 12:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Gabe,

Which modes do you use for different inputs? Personally, I like all channel for music. I'm not sure what to use for movies and games -- sticking with direct for now...sometimes bass is a little lacking for movies though.

direct doesn't use the subwoofer, that's probably why it's lacking in bass.

There is no right or wrong answer as to what modes to use.

For general 2 channel TV I generally use DPL Music or Neo 6 music mode. DPL and NEO 6 also have modes to simulating movies and gaming. It also comes with others specific to Onkyo. Which ones you like best or any of them at all is preference. For anything other than 2 channel I don't apply any processing.
post #9 of 517 Old 04-24-2009, 12:37 AM

I'm still working on what channels I like. I started using direct and am now using multi-channel both under 'movie/tv.' Just started listening to music today and have used the same two as above under 'music' but have also messed around with studio-mix. The name just sounds professional to me.

Haven't seemed to have any problems with the bass regardless on the settings I use. Using a Klipsch 420watt 10' sub and seems to be doing me fine.

I don't have a game system so haven't tried any of those. My next investment will prolly be a xbox if nothing else using it as my media center.

Honestly, all the channels are kinda confusing me. Plus, I won't have my back surround speakers wired until Monday or Tuesday so haven't even messed with the Audyssey or the auto set up of the speaker output or whatever it's called yet. Currently just working with FL, FR, C & sub. Can't wait for the last two.

anyway, back to The Spirit.
post #10 of 517 Old 04-24-2009, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman02 View Post

direct doesn't use the subwoofer, that's probably why it's lacking in bass.

For anything other than 2 channel I don't apply any processing.

Good to know, Jake. I thought direct meant there was no processing? What is the mode called that doesn't use any processing?
post #11 of 517 Old 04-24-2009, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratefulgabe View Post

I don't have a game system so haven't tried any of those. My next investment will prolly be a xbox if nothing else using it as my media center.

That's what I'm using my Xbox for. I have a netbook with all my music and videos and I stream it to the Xbox. I also use it for DVD and games (duh). I'm very happy with the setup. It's very minimalistic for me (one box solution) that yields great results.
post #12 of 517 Old 04-24-2009, 01:16 PM

I found a great deal for this receiver and the Klipsch hd 500 5.1 speakers. Should i buy ?

post #13 of 517 Old 04-24-2009, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

OK I have another question: Does the 507 pass RGB 0-255 or does it cut off at 16-235? I am connecting my receiver to TV using a DVI->HDMI connection and I think the DVI is 0-255. But when I use extended color mode on my Xbox, the blacks seem to be getting crushed a bit and I was wondering if the receiver was doing this. If I don't use extended color mode then I see faint vertical lines when viewing black screens.
post #14 of 517 Old 04-24-2009, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkneo View Post

I found a great deal for this receiver and the Klipsch hd 500 5.1 speakers. Should i buy ?

DarkNeo -- I am not familiar with those speakers, but the MSRP is a bit high compared to other speaker sets that have been well reviewed. See e.g., Energy Take Classic.
post #15 of 517 Old 04-24-2009, 07:44 PM

yeah, MSRP just for the speakers is $599, in the bundle with the Onkyo receiver its $699

So basically getting the reciever for $100

Hmmm to buy or not to buy
post #16 of 517 Old 04-27-2009, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

OK I have another question: Does the 507 pass RGB 0-255 or does it cut off at 16-235? I am connecting my receiver to TV using a DVI->HDMI connection and I think the DVI is 0-255. But when I use extended color mode on my Xbox, the blacks seem to be getting crushed a bit and I was wondering if the receiver was doing this. If I don't use extended color mode then I see faint vertical lines when viewing black screens.

In case anyone is interested, Onkyo says that HDMI passes 0-255, but HDMI to DVI does not.

Quote:

Gabe,

Also, Onkyo said "Pure Audio" and "Direct" are the best modes to use. I'm not sure about "direct" -- didn't have good bass performance with that mode. Will have to try "pure audio".
post #17 of 517 Old 04-27-2009, 10:09 PM

Hi all,

I own an Onkyo 604 and I was just playing with the Direct audio mode and it definitely has a lot of bass. I don't understand why some people think Direct mode does not use the subwoofer
post #18 of 517 Old 04-28-2009, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gratefulgabe View Post

I'm still working on what channels I like. I started using direct and am now using multi-channel both under 'movie/tv.' Just started listening to music today and have used the same two as above under 'music' but have also messed around with studio-mix. The name just sounds professional to me.

Haven't seemed to have any problems with the bass regardless on the settings I use. Using a Klipsch 420watt 10' sub and seems to be doing me fine.

Honestly, all the channels are kinda confusing me. Plus, I won't have my back surround speakers wired until Monday or Tuesday so haven't even messed with the Audyssey or the auto set up of the speaker output or whatever it's called yet. Currently just working with FL, FR, C & sub. Can't wait for the last two.

anyway, back to The Spirit.

The Audyssey set up is so easy, I don't understand why people wait for other speakers to arrive. I re-run even if I've just moved speakers further from the wall or changed the height of my speakers.
post #19 of 517 Old 04-28-2009, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eme1 View Post

Hi all,

I own an Onkyo 604 and I was just playing with the Direct audio mode and it definitely has a lot of bass. I don't understand why some people think Direct mode does not use the subwoofer

Why would someone use Direct instead of Dolby Digital (from a DD encoded source)?
post #20 of 517 Old 04-28-2009, 06:42 PM

Since this was sorta brought up in another thread about the sr507, but never definitively answered:

does the US version of the 507 have RIHD/CEC to enable hdmi passthrough when the receiver is off?

a lot of the sites selling the unit (as well as the manual) say it does, but the US onkyo product page omits it while the EU page includes it.
post #21 of 517 Old 04-29-2009, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw79 View Post

Since this was sorta brought up in another thread about the sr507, but never definitively answered:

does the US version of the 507 have RIHD/CEC to enable hdmi passthrough when the receiver is off?

a lot of the sites selling the unit (as well as the manual) say it does, but the US onkyo product page omits it while the EU page includes it.

Here's my experience:
Sat Box on & TV on & 507 off = nothing to the tv.
post #22 of 517 Old 04-29-2009, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfector View Post

Here's my experience:
Sat Box on & TV on & 507 off = nothing to the tv.

Is there the option to turn on hdmi control(RIHD) and power control? It's described on page 77 of the owner's manual.
post #23 of 517 Old 04-29-2009, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw79 View Post

Is there the option to turn on hdmi control(RIHD) and power control? It's described on page 77 of the owner's manual.

I've been through all the options and haven't seen anything re: RIHD
post #24 of 517 Old 04-30-2009, 03:34 AM

Im all excited!!!

Love it, absolutely love it.

LE40A656A1F 6 series 1080P 40" LCD
BDP1500 Samsung BluRay player
FOXSATHD freesat receiver
TXSR507
Control 1 Xtreme's for fronts rear and centre.
-Yet to get the sub, but have my eye on a Tannoy TS10

This is the first serious AV receiver i have purchased, so i have alot to learn.

I must admit i am completely bewildered and slightly lost with regards to the amount of audio formats available. I could most probably do with getting a book on their definitions.

After trying out "We were soldiers" the surround atmosphere was brilliant, however the front was quiet as other posters have mentioned.

After checking the audio config the amp had set the centre channel to -8dB I changed this to -4dB and it sounds alot better.

I have it set on "all channels" but it says PCM when i flick through the display. i thought PCM was a low quality one like analog?

I have connected everything to the amp using HDMI cables only. I have not used digital audio cables from the BluRay player as i am uncertain if it would be better if i did?

If anyone has any pointers or definitions which you feel i would benefit from, I would very much appreciate you taking the time to type it, so i can continue to eagerly learn about home theatre.

Fantastic website by the way
post #25 of 517 Old 04-30-2009, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

PCM is not low quality, and is the only way to get HD audio via HDMI if your AVR does not do the HD codecs. You just set your BD player to PCM instead of bitstream, the AVR plays what it gets. You don't want to use All Chan Stereo unless you are only getting 2 ch music from a CD. The 507 will probably do what is best for audio without messing with it, once the Audyssey set up has been run correctly.
However, if your BD player will bitstream HD audio, then change it to do that as the 507 does have the HD audio decoding.
post #26 of 517 Old 04-30-2009, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post

PCM is not low quality, and is the only way to get HD audio via HDMI if your AVR does not do the HD codecs. You just set your BD player to PCM instead of bitstream, the AVR plays what it gets. You don't want to use All Chan Stereo unless you are only getting 2 ch music from a CD. The 507 will probably do what is best for audio without messing with it, once the Audyssey set up has been run correctly.

Thanks for taking the time to post

No doubt as you know the TXSR507 does support the HD codecs. So as long as i understood you right, PCM would be the optimal choice for me.

I dont believe i have it set on "all channel stereo" , Im quite sure it said "All surr channel" on the display.

After googling, i learned that bluray players can output 5.1 down a HDMI cable via PCM however a DVD player can only put 2 channels down a HDMI lead as PCM.

So if i have this right, you would set your player to bit stream and use a digital cable if you can not output 5.1 Channels down your HDMI lead. If you can output 5.1 down the HDMI lead, then it should be on PCM?

I have ran the Audyssey set up in the three different positions as the instructions suggested
post #27 of 517 Old 04-30-2009, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

They can bitstream over HDMI, it is just that some/many BD players cannot bitstream the HD audio at all. For those BD players, use PCM, otherwise use bitstream. You won't need a separate audio cable as the HDMI does it all with the 507.
For non-HD HDMI DVD players, use bitstream.
Edit: Your BDP1500 will bitstream all HD audio except for DTS-MA
post #28 of 517 Old 04-30-2009, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post

They can bitstream over HDMI, it is just that some/many BD players cannot bitstream the HD audio at all. For those BD players, use PCM, otherwise use bitstream. You won't need a separate audio cable as the HDMI does it all with the 507.
For non-HD HDMI DVD players, use bitstream.
Edit: Your BDP1500 will bitstream all HD audio except for DTS-MA

Fantastic, thanks for your time, its explained alot to me!
post #29 of 517 Old 05-01-2009, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm considering buying this receiver. Last weekend I bought a Yamaha RX-V465. I'm having DTS-HD MA handshake/signal issues with my LG BD 370 as I've outlined here.

Is anyone using the TX-SR507 with an LG BD 370? Any issues with bitstreaming DTS-HD MA or TrueHD and having the 507 decode it?

I can't find this receiver anywhere locally, so I'll have to order online. I'd love to be sure this fixes my current issue before ordering.

My Media Room Construction thread. Work began 2/15/05, finished 7.1 install 6/2005. Sold house 7/2007.
post #30 of 517 Old 05-02-2009, 06:57 PM

Liked: 11
I'm in the UK and I just got this amp, but after playing around with it tonight I have noticed a really strange (and potentially serious) issue.

I was testing a few discs that have multiple audio codecs on them with my BDP-S550, and I tried Spider-Man 3. I flicked through a few scenes with the TrueHD track until I got to the scene where New Goblin first attacks Peter. There was a lot of bass - specifically from Goblin's hover-board - and it sounded great.

However, when I flipped it over to PCM there was virtually no bass at all. I compared numerous times, but nothing. I have the Multi-Channel mode set to Multi-Channel, rather than direct or any of the other modes, but even flicking through them didn't provide anything close to the TrueHD track.

As an experiment I popped the discs into my PS3, which is set up to decode and send as PCM. This time both tracks lacked bass. The only common element is that the amp is receiving multi-channel PCM on all occasions where the bass is lacking. I switched from PCM to bitstream in the PS3 and although it was then only pumping out a standard Dolby Digital track, it sounded much better than the multi-channel PCM.

I also tried it with 300 on the BDP-S550, during the scene where the Persian army begins to march and the Spartan thinks it's an earthquake. Again, lots of bass on TrueHD, but you couldn't even hear the marching in PCM.

Now either I have set something incorrectly, I have a defective amp, or the 507 has major problems with bass management and multi-channel PCM... I set it up using Audyssey, and I haven't messed with any other settings that would affect PCM (from what I can tell).

Has anyone noticed anything similar? PS3 games also sound incredibly anaemic. My old amp was much better using optical and analogue inputs! It's so annying, because TrueHD/Master Audio sounds great (basically anything decoded by the AVR), but I have a lot of discs with PCM soundtracks and I can't live without bass...
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors