Onkyo 606 HDMI problems galore - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 254 Old 12-30-2009, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
You aren't going to get an Elite for that kind of money. The vsx-21txh I just picked up was 599. It can be found cheaper but I wanted to get it local. You might consider a Pioneer 1019 if you can find it. It'd be cheaper than the Elite series and give you very good quality, as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 254 Old 12-30-2009, 08:47 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post

You aren't going to get an Elite for that kind of money. The vsx-21txh I just picked up was 599. It can be found cheaper but I wanted to get it local. You might consider a Pioneer 1019 if you can find it. It'd be cheaper than the Elite series and give you very good quality, as well.

Im picking one up this weekend from a place here in NY called *********************. I have called and they gave me the following prices.

The VSX-21TXH is $465
The VSX-23THX is $560

On the other hand the Pioneer 1019 is going for 450-500 every place I have looked. Value Electronics does not take internet orders but they do take order's over the phone. The only issue is if they ship further than 250 miles from their store then Pioneer will no longer honor the 2 year warranty only the 1 year. But don't quote me on that.
post #63 of 254 Old 12-30-2009, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Those are great prices. The warranty is also one of the reasons I wanted to get mine local. So far, the Elite has performed flawlessly.
post #64 of 254 Old 12-31-2009, 01:05 PM

Just started happening to me as well.

At first it was just my cable box, component in to HDMI out to the TV. I had to power it on and off half a dozen to a dozen times to get it to display. That started a few weeks ago, but the PS3 has been fine.

Then last night video just cut out while watching a video on the PS3, had to power cycle it a few times to get video back. Looks like I'm going to have to get it serviced.
post #65 of 254 Old 12-31-2009, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Good luck. NO ONE has ever said "oh, wow, Onkyo customer service is the best I've ever dealt with". In fact, I've only ever seen the exact opposite said of them. Hence why I decided to replace it and then when I have time and patience I'll deal with getting the 606 fixed. I'm not optimistic about it, either.
post #66 of 254 Old 01-04-2010, 11:27 AM

TV: 55" Sony LCOS (which has its own disastrous problems with color uniformity)
Blu-ray: Sony 350
Satellite: Directv HD-DVR

Well, I have the same exact same, progressively worse problem with the 606. I am terribly disappointed with this product.

Only one of my 606's HDMI ports--CABLE/SAT--for my Directv DVR--consistently works and turns on quickly. The others fail. I want uncompressed audio on the blu-ray!

BTW one solution that might work as a cheap and possibly temporary solution is hooking up an Oppo HM-31 switcher to the ONE HDMI input that still seems to respond (cable/satellite). Then put the blu-ray cable in to the switcher.

I called Oppo today (they have excellent service) and they said this should work, if you can find one. The HM-31 units are back-ordered from the manufacturer but he said they should be in stock by this Friday, January 8, or so.

If this $99 temporary fix still doesn't work I will consider the Pioneer 1019. Money IS an issue but I am on the verge of throwing this Onkyo out!

But I need to know--anyone have similar issues with the Pioneer 1019's HDMI ports?
post #67 of 254 Old 01-04-2010, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

I got the Pio vsx21-txh which is an Elite model, and can honestly say, I'm never going back to Onkyo again. It's a FAR superior receiver. I don't know about the 1019 as it has different components, but, Pio seems to make some very solid gear.
post #68 of 254 Old 01-04-2010, 02:16 PM

Hi all. I am having exactly the same issues with a 606. I took it back to the store today and they are sending it off for repair but I have been told it is going to take anywhere between 4-6 weeks. One thing I would like to know is if Onkyo are fitting modified components as part of the repair process. I dont see the point if they just replace like with like otherwise we will all have the same issue another year down the road.
post #69 of 254 Old 01-04-2010, 02:42 PM

Absolutely, why even bother if it's going to break down again within months?

Does anyone think the Pioneer 1019 ia a lot more trouble-free with regard to HDMI switching?
post #70 of 254 Old 01-04-2010, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

I agree, as well. Which is why I got the Pio Elite. I've had _0_ handshaking problems with it since I got it last week. I have a PS3, 360, cable box, and HTPC hooked up via HDMI, and a Wii connected via component that's using HDMI out. NO problems at all. Whereas I've always had problems with the Onkyo with my HTPC.
post #71 of 254 Old 01-08-2010, 01:50 PM

Just to let people know I got my 606 back today from repair. A 4 day turn around seems pretty good to me. On the worknote, it states that they have replaced the HDMI board and carried out a firmware update. I hope that this one lasts a bit longer than the last.
post #72 of 254 Old 01-08-2010, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm going to try to send mine in for repair maybe next week. Wish me luck!
post #73 of 254 Old 01-11-2010, 02:04 PM

Well I left my sr606 on the ON position for about 4 weeks straight. This was the only way I could get it to work sometimes without having to wait 10-20 minutes for it to *warmup* with my xbox or computer.

So 2 days ago I think it finally crapped out. It would no longer sync to my computer or xbox (maybe 1080p modes). One other sign is that my cable box at 1080i would work along with the lower cable tv resolutions, but 360 or computer at 1080p would not give a signal nor was the OSD working. The OSD has always been intermittent leading me to believe the receiver was locked into one resolution or channel.

I tried resetting the sr606, leaving it off for a day, waiting for it to warm up, changing out cables, but I think it was finally dead.

Anyway, I just got back from returning the sr606 to local Frys. They went ahead and exchanged it out for a sr607 even though this was part of a bundled home theater in a box (that took a bit of complaining on my part). This is the reason I always get an extended contract (3yrs).

So far this new sr607 is working flawlessly. I also had a slight hum from the original sr-606 which is gone now and all inputs immediately sync (xbox 360 hdmi, computer dvi, cable box hdmi) on my Samsung 46" immediately.

I'll post back here if mine craps out in the next 1-2 yrs.
post #74 of 254 Old 01-15-2010, 08:17 PM

Hello everyone,

I know I mentioned earlier that my receiver was slowly dying. Well, it is to a point now that I am tired of dealing with it. So my question is then, where do I begin? Who should I call first to get the ball rolling on a repair?

EDIT - I should mention that I live in south central PA and the nearest service center for me is in Baltimore, MD. Onkyo's website also mentions to me the service center, everyone else has mentioned, up in New York. Also does the repair cost come out of my pocket or no, considering I am still under warranty?

post #75 of 254 Old 01-17-2010, 02:06 PM

Just to let people know, my repaired amplifier is working fine. I have installed a 120mm computer fan to the top of the amp which is powered by an intelliplug. This has made a massive difference to the internal temperature of the amp, I havent taken any accurate readings but before the rear right hand corner used to be hot to the touch now its luke warm at hottest. Definately a worthwile modification to make.
post #76 of 254 Old 01-20-2010, 12:57 AM

Wow, I think I'm experiencing the same shock as SO many others on this forum have.

I bought my HT-R667 in August 08, worked great until about a month or so ago when it started developing the exact same problems described over and over again here. My xbox was the first to go. It started to take me 3 or 4 minutes of just switching inputs and trying to unplug and replug HDMI cables before finally (somehow magically) the xbox would come up. I even had some weird theories like you had to do some kind of rain dance then power-cycle to make it work. After I would finally get the xbox working I would just forget about the problem.

Unfortunately, it got worse. Now, my cable box takes some time to finally display as well. After saying to myself "you know, you really should get on the web and browse some forums to see if others are having the same problem" about 20 times. I finally decided to do it, tonight. I'm glad I found this forum.

I am astounded that ONKYO has not done anything about this. I am going to call them tomorrow and rip into them as best as I can. I will certainly quote this forum. I can only imagine how many other poor customers out there have working units that are on the verge of going out on them.

I don't want to buy another receiver (I spent enough on this one.) And I certainly don't want to send it off for repairs to have it break again. I have no idea where the nearest service is located, (I'm on the Central Coast in California.) I suppose I'll try to ask the service folks if I can pay extra to get some heavy duty capacitors and HDMI boards put in so I don't have to deal with it again. What a crock.

I'll let you all know how it goes.
post #77 of 254 Old 01-20-2010, 08:16 AM

I've retired my Onkyo 606 to the bedroom where it won't have to worry about HDMI anymore, poor thing. It still works well--beautifully--but I have no surround in there, just a pair of DefTech ProCinemas, the tiny ones, and therefore no need for uncompressed sound, which was the whole point.

After fairly careful research, I discovered a great price on Pioneer's obscure VSX-9040TXH, a couple of weeks ago. This is apparently an Elite model that doesn't cop to it, was originally meant for Canada, but it matches their entry-level Elite receiver over 99.99% of its sleek self. I got this in preference to the highly regarded Pio 1019, my other choice, which seemed almost as good but was actually more expensive at that time!

As I half-expected, the 9040 is impressively weighty. Utterly no problems so far. If you have at least a clue about what you're doing the manual is no problem, though it does require a hell of a lot of cross-references, as has been said elsewhere about Pioneer.

The real fail is the remote with its overload of tiny, undistinguished buttons. I've tried and failed to quickly mute something, or even lower the volume, because of fumbling with these most important buttons. Their location is very non-intuitive, somewhere in the right-hand middle of the thing; there's no particular color, shape, or location that helps you feel your way. Nor is there a specific button for a specific input like the Onkyo has; instead you keep punching "HDMI" and it cycles through whatever you've got connected, in order.

Also, I'm adjusting to the way surround is indicated on the faceplate. We all want to see the Holy Grail--"DTS HD Master Audio" light up in huge text--but very few discs actually carry this and the tiny, specific faceplate indication is buried in a welter of Dolby and DTS mumbo-jumbo. Marketers take note.

None of this matters, because the sound and the MCACC setup is so easy and the result(s) so satisfying. It's just a strong, balanced sound that sounds, well, "mature."

There's another feature of note for those of you who also utilize 7.1 surround back speakers. The "Uplink" feature is always on by default (and a major pain to disable, from the looks of the manual) but what it does is combine and direct the audio from both of your side/rear surrounds with your surround backs; all four speakers in tandem. This has a delightful effect of dispersing the surround in a wonderfully spacey way from any DSP 5.1 or higher source.

This Onkyo ordeal wasted weeks of my life and seems to have happened because of their corporate lack of Quality Control. Lousy parts or a lousy plant somewhere. This is the only thing I can come up with, since some people get a model that keeps on working. For now I'm glad I don't have to deal with 'em.
post #78 of 254 Old 01-20-2010, 12:36 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by geodel View Post

I've retired my Onkyo 606 to the bedroom where it won't have to worry about HDMI anymore, poor thing. It still works well--beautifully--but I have no surround in there, just a pair of DefTech ProCinemas, the tiny ones, and therefore no need for uncompressed sound, which was the whole point.

After fairly careful research, I discovered a great price on Pioneer's obscure VSX-9040TXH, a couple of weeks ago. This is apparently an Elite model that doesn't cop to it, was originally meant for Canada, but it matches their entry-level Elite receiver over 99.99% of its sleek self. I got this in preference to the highly regarded Pio 1019, my other choice, which seemed almost as good but was actually more expensive at that time!

As I half-expected, the 9040 is impressively weighty. Utterly no problems so far. If you have at least a clue about what you're doing the manual is no problem, though it does require a hell of a lot of cross-references, as has been said elsewhere about Pioneer.

The real fail is the remote with its overload of tiny, undistinguished buttons. I've tried and failed to quickly mute something, or even lower the volume, because of fumbling with these most important buttons. Their location is very non-intuitive, somewhere in the right-hand middle of the thing; there's no particular color, shape, or location that helps you feel your way. Nor is there a specific button for a specific input like the Onkyo has; instead you keep punching "HDMI" and it cycles through whatever you've got connected, in order.

Also, I'm adjusting to the way surround is indicated on the faceplate. We all want to see the Holy Grail--"DTS HD Master Audio" light up in huge text--but very few discs actually carry this and the tiny, specific faceplate indication is buried in a welter of Dolby and DTS mumbo-jumbo. Marketers take note.

None of this matters, because the sound and the MCACC setup is so easy and the result(s) so satisfying. It's just a strong, balanced sound that sounds, well, "mature."

There's another feature of note for those of you who also utilize 7.1 surround back speakers. The "Uplink" feature is always on by default (and a major pain to disable, from the looks of the manual) but what it does is combine and direct the audio from both of your side/rear surrounds with your surround backs; all four speakers in tandem. This has a delightful effect of dispersing the surround in a wonderfully spacey way from any DSP 5.1 or higher source.

This Onkyo ordeal wasted weeks of my life and seems to have happened because of their corporate lack of Quality Control. Lousy parts or a lousy plant somewhere. This is the only thing I can come up with, since some people get a model that keeps on working. For now I'm glad I don't have to deal with 'em.

I have the Pio 1018 and have been really pleased with its performance, I know the 1019 uses slightly different components (the 1018 uses the same components as the higher LX-50 elite while the 1019 uses slightly lower 919 componentry) but I imagine its of similiar ilk. I did consider the 606 as they were around the same pricepoint, but the fact it ran as hot as it does swayed me to the 1018. It also didn't hurt that I had the 1017 for 2 years and it worked flawlessly for me (only upgraded for the HMDI audio as the 1017 didn't support DTS-MA, trueHD or even LPCM).
post #79 of 254 Old 01-20-2010, 04:48 PM

I believe I may be suffering from the same issues others here are reporting. I have an Onkyo 606 that I purchased back in August 08. I have my HTPC on HDMI1 and my cable box on HDMI3 and I've always had intermittent handshaking issues with my HTPC and the Onkyo on HDMI1. However, I've never had a problem with the cable box and the Onkyo on HDMI3.

As many of you know I cannot get the HTPC to work on any other HDMI input besides HDMI1. In the last few months, the handshaking issues on HDMI1 with my HTPC have gotten worse, sometimes taking upwards of 15 minutes (after turning the Onkyo on) before I get a signal from the HTPC on HDMI1.

Tonight though, I turned on the Onkyo and got No Signal on HDMI1 from the HTPC. I switched the HDMI cable that is in HDMI3 (connected to the cable box) and put it in HDMI1 and got audio/video from the cable box right away. I then switched the cables back so that the HTPC was going to HDMI1, and again I got No Signal. After the usual ~15 minutes I eventually got audio/video from the HTPC.

It appears that my handshaking issues only occur on HDMI1 and only when connected with my HTPC, since the cable box had no problem on the same HDMI input. Am I being too optimistic in thinking that perhaps I don't have a problem with my receiver, but with something else in my setup?
post #80 of 254 Old 01-20-2010, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubbs23 View Post

Am I being too optimistic in thinking that perhaps I don't have a problem with my receiver, but with something else in my setup?

I'm afraid I think so after my ordeal of several weeks.
post #81 of 254 Old 01-22-2010, 12:57 PM

Hi all-

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with SR-606 HDMI issues. I've got a weird issue where all my HDMI ports work fine except when I'm upcoverting standard definition DVD's. I've got a Samsung LN52A650, XBOX 360 Elite, VIP 622 DVR, and a Sony BDP-S360. The XBOX 360 and DVR work like a charm - there are zero issues. I can also view blu-ray movies without any issue. The problem occurs when I watch standard def movies on my blu-ray player. The picture and audio will work for maybe 10 minutes. Then the picture will cut out but the audio remains. The picture will continue to cut out. I've tried this with my current Sony and a Panasonic players. Both players have the most recent firmware. My Samsung also has the most recent firmware. I've tried swapping cables (didn't fix it) and plugging the players into the other HDMI receiver inputs (didn't fix it.) Everything works great if I plug either player directly into the TV HDMI inputs. My last resort is to swap out my receiver and test it with a friend's receiver for a couple of hours. Have any of you seen an issue like this?
post #82 of 254 Old 01-23-2010, 02:56 AM

Liked: 15
This thread just reminds me yet again of why I hate the crock of crap otherwise known as HDMI. Digital coax/optical till I die.
post #83 of 254 Old 01-31-2010, 05:30 AM

I just thought I would give people an update. My repaired 606 has been working fine for a few weeks now after they replaced the HDMI board and carried out a firmware update.

I decided to make my fan modification a little more permenant, details as below:-

Parts needed

1 x 120mm Computer fan (Quieter the better)
1 x 120mm Dust Filter
http://www.akasa.com.tw/update.php?t...odel=GRM120-30
1 x mains to molex adapter
http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/info_1778.html
1 x ONECLICK TVA-106 INTELLIPLUG FOR TV AND AV SYSTEMS
http://www.oneclickpower.com/store/g...ow/TVA106.html
2 or 4 long fan screws

Installation

Remover outer case, 6 screws total, 2 rear, 2 left side, 2 right side.

Drill a hole in the right side of the vented cover at the back (just large enough to pass the fan connector through)

Place the dust filter on top of the vented case and mark where the holes need to be drilled. They already line up with the slots but need to be widened to let the fan screws through. Drill the holes.

Place the fan on the inside of the case and the dust filter on the outside. Fix the two using long fan screws from the outside. This will allow you to remove the outer dust cover without having to unscrew anything as it just unclips.

Fix the excess fan cable out of the way using either electrical tape of equivalent. Feed the connector end of the fan through the hole in the right hand side of the vented cover. Be careful not to damage the cable on any sharp edges. Install a rubber grommet or use a glue gun to hold the fan cable central in the drilled hole to avoid it getting damaged.

Re-install case.

Connect intelliplug to mains outlet.

Connect mains to molex to intelli plug.

Plug fan into mains to molex adapter.

Plug amp into master socket on intelliplug.

Set-up intelliplug IR to recognise command to switch on.

Note: This install can be done without the dust filter making it nearly invisible from the outside but I chose to live with the slightly reduced airflow for cleaner amp internals.

Pictures

Hope this is useful to someone else.
post #84 of 254 Old 01-31-2010, 06:27 AM

I'm not dealing directly with Onkyo on my repair, there is a authorized service center in my state of MI where I sent my receiver. They seem very responsive and friendly.

Mine started out with the 360 not working, then it works all the time for some reason. The PS3 Slim rarely works. It is a frustrating time getting to watch a Blu-Ray. Directv always worked, then BAM it did not. That was the straw that pissed off the wife. The Wii worked half the time on Component.
post #85 of 254 Old 01-31-2010, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roblangston View Post

I just thought I would give people an update. My repaired 606 has been working fine for a few weeks now after they replaced the HDMI board and carried out a firmware update.

I decided to make my fan modification a little more permenant, details as below:-

Parts needed

1 x 120mm Computer fan (Quieter the better)
1 x 120mm Dust Filter
http://www.akasa.com.tw/update.php?t...odel=GRM120-30
1 x mains to molex adapter
http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/info_1778.html
1 x ONECLICK TVA-106 INTELLIPLUG FOR TV AND AV SYSTEMS
http://www.oneclickpower.com/store/g...ow/TVA106.html
2 or 4 long fan screws

Installation

Remover outer case, 6 screws total, 2 rear, 2 left side, 2 right side.

Drill a hole in the right side of the vented cover at the back (just large enough to pass the fan connector through)

Place the dust filter on top of the vented case and mark where the holes need to be drilled. They already line up with the slots but need to be widened to let the fan screws through. Drill the holes.

Place the fan on the inside of the case and the dust filter on the outside. Fix the two using long fan screws from the outside. This will allow you to remove the outer dust cover without having to unscrew anything as it just unclips.

Fix the excess fan cable out of the way using either electrical tape of equivalent. Feed the connector end of the fan through the hole in the right hand side of the vented cover. Be careful not to damage the cable on any sharp edges. Install a rubber grommet or use a glue gun to hold the fan cable central in the drilled hole to avoid it getting damaged.

Re-install case.

Connect intelliplug to mains outlet.

Connect mains to molex to intelli plug.

Plug fan into mains to molex adapter.

Plug amp into master socket on intelliplug.

Set-up intelliplug IR to recognise command to switch on.

Note: This install can be done without the dust filter making it nearly invisible from the outside but I chose to live with the slightly reduced airflow for cleaner amp internals.

Pictures

Hope this is useful to someone else.

Good mod. Just to follow up, here are some resources for those interested in doing this.

You can find suggestions for the quietest fans here: http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums...6d63686e89aacb

Also, I would recommend using rubber fan mounts and not screws to mount the fan, cut down on vibrational noise. http://www.silenx.com/accessories.asp?sku=ixa-fm20
post #86 of 254 Old 02-19-2010, 08:09 AM

I have the 606

I am now convinced that tempature affects 1080p handshakes. Ever since the weather got cold I started having the problem (I don't have central heating). I can put a heater on the receiver and swear that it helps 1080p devices get a signal faster. I recently got fed up and set all my devices, xb360, ps3, direct tv hddvr, to 1080i only. Now everything works like day 1. I can't really notice a difference between 1080i and 1080p on my panasonic plasma, not even with bluray. I might try going back to 1080p when winter is over.
post #87 of 254 Old 02-21-2010, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloejoe View Post

I have the 606

I am now convinced that tempature affects 1080p handshakes. Ever since the weather got cold I started having the problem (I don't have central heating). I can put a heater on the receiver and swear that it helps 1080p devices get a signal faster. I recently got fed up and set all my devices, xb360, ps3, direct tv hddvr, to 1080i only. Now everything works like day 1. I can't really notice a difference between 1080i and 1080p on my panasonic plasma, not even with bluray. I might try going back to 1080p when winter is over.

Good luck.

After having mine repaired once already and experiencing problems again a few weeks after I got it back, I determined that everything worked better when I just left the 606 on all the time; the handshake issues pretty much disappeared.

Recently the handshake issues returned, and it seemed to only be a problem with 1080p signals. I set up everything to output at 1080i and things seemed better again for the last week or so.

Now I'm having problems getting video through all of my inputs. When plugging the same HDMI cables directly into my TV everything works flawlessly.

I'm debating again about driving it to my service center or throwing it in the garbage. What a piece of crap.
post #88 of 254 Old 02-21-2010, 10:30 AM

After realizing my 606 had the same problem as everyone else and knowing that it would be a pain to be without a receiver I went ahead and got a Pioneer VSX-9040TXH. The Pioneer sounds and looks great and doesn't get 1/10th as hot as the Onkyo.

The Onkyo will go in for service now and when I get it back I'm just going to turn around and sell it.

It's frustrating to have a receiver die this quickly and really turned me off of the Onkyo brand. I was so excited in late '08 to find the Onkyo and all of its features at such a great price point. It did serve me well while it worked but time to move on. Good luck. If anything interesting comes out of the service it has on it I'll let everyone know.

PSN: technologiq
GamerTag: aph3xx
Wii#: 2216 6139 7881 1960
post #89 of 254 Old 02-21-2010, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

I still need to send mine in, as well. Since I replaced it with the Pio Elite I just haven't been motivated to deal with it. But, I need to do it soon. I'm going to put it in my bedroom when I get it back.
post #90 of 254 Old 02-21-2010, 10:52 AM

Have the HDMI problems been solved with the 607 receiver?
I have a 667 that has been in for service twice. This time Onkyo is replacing it with a 607. I hope it works. If nothing has been improved I may just sell it while still new and buy a Yamaha or Pioneer.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page