Onkyo 606 HDMI problems galore - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 254 Old 02-21-2010, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I can only tell you what a few of us feel. That Onkyo has burned our good will with this issue and that there is no trust left in the brand. I switched to Pio and won't look back. Nor will I recommend Onkyo to anyone at this point. Onkyo needs to really fix the public relations issue they have right now IN ADDITION to the problems with the receivers. This is simply my opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 254 Old 02-21-2010, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Onkyo does have a 2 year warranty to protect against these things blowing up. I have a 606 and it has worked fine since taking it out of the box.

Most people posting here on AVS are pretty knowledgeable about products. Most of us knew full well about the heat generated by the receiver and that heat is the enemy of electronics.

The combination of functionality, price, and length of warranty offset this heat concern for many of us.

I hope my post doesn't jinx my 606 as all connections in my system are HDMI.

I doubt the head of Onkyo will go on TV and do a Tiger type appology over these boards having problems. They should be held accountable for honoring their warranty and doing needed repairs in a reasonable timeframe. Other than that, they don't owe customers anything.

My previous receiver was a Pioneer 1015TX. It lasted just past the 1 year warranty and wasn't cost effective to repair. Pioneer did nothing for me, other than to point out the 1 year limited warranty, which was only good if I could prove I bought the unit from one of their authorized dealers.
post #93 of 254 Old 02-26-2010, 10:29 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouchPotivo View Post

Onkyo seems clueless about this problem. When I called their tech support, they had me reset my receiver. And, finally, he just told me to call my local authorized repair center. Fortunately, there is one that is only a couple miles from where I work.

Now, the repair shop was very impressive. I explained the problem. And, the guy knew all about the problem. He knew it needed some capacitors replaced. He checked his stock and said to bring it on in. When I took it in, he said they are fixing these all the time. He pointed to another customer's 606 ready to be picked up. That was yesterday. He called this afternoon and said it was ready. I picked it up and hooked everything back up. And, low and behold - it works like new! Less than 24 hours in the shop, too.

When I picked it up today, I asked about the capacitors and if this problem will repeat in the future. He explained that they replaced all of them - not just the ones that are bad. He also said that they are specifying higher voltage caps now. So, he didn't expect that I will have any future problems. He said he hasn't had any come back. While this sounds promising, it'll probably take about a year or two to really know if it's fixed.

FWIW, I looked at the receipt. It shows quantity 8 of 3981G1017R2 caps. So, I assume they replaced 8 caps.

Anyone know if these capacitors are a readily available item somewhere? Im not too scared of soldering or at least giving it a shot. Ive already accepted the fact that i need to buy another receiver, so I think it would be worth a shot if I could get the parts somewhere. I searched for the above part number but it only brought up this post and another in french.
post #94 of 254 Old 03-14-2010, 03:57 PM

My 606 is having the exact same issue. Unfortunately for me, I can't find my receipt, and even worse I bought it from Circuit City, so no chance of getting a duplicate receipt. So if I want to get it fixed, it will be $150+ based on estimate I got from the authorized service center in Rockville MD.

Since it was becoming unbearable to watch anything, got a deal on the Pioneer 9040, which definitely runs alot cooler than the 606.

Onkyo just lost a customer for life...
post #95 of 254 Old 03-14-2010, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AARGH2K View Post

My 606 is having the exact same issue. Unfortunately for me, I can't find my receipt, and even worse I bought it from Circuit City, so no chance of getting a duplicate receipt. So if I want to get it fixed, it will be $150+ based on estimate I got from the authorized service center in Rockville MD.

Since it was becoming unbearable to watch anything, got a deal on the Pioneer 9040, which definitely runs alot cooler than the 606.

Onkyo just lost a customer for life...

Same exact situation here. Onkyo told me I'm on my own if I can't find the receipt. I don't know if its worth paying the $150-$200 to get it fixed. I'm NOT happy with the fact that they are unwilling to work with me.

PSN: technologiq
GamerTag: aph3xx
Wii#: 2216 6139 7881 1960
post #96 of 254 Old 03-25-2010, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 178
I had the issue occur for the first and only time a couple of days ago. I bought mine in the summer of 08. I don't remember the month. I have a PS3 and when I went to play a movie the other day, the TV screen was blue and stayed blue. I had sound from the receiver but no picture. I have a Panasonic 50g15 plasma an I had just updated the firmware and thought that was the problem.

I unplugged the hdmi cable from the back of the onkyo and plugged it into the TV and the picture was there. I plugged the hdmi cable back into the receiver and suddenly everything worked. I thought maybe there was a loose cable, but now I'm not so sure. I doubt the cable was loose. Nothing had been moved.

If the problem returns and doesn't go away, I'll switch to toslink. I'll lose 7.1 sound for movies that support it, but it's not worth spending hundreds of dollars on a new receiver. I already have a FIOS DVR that won't switch HDMI through a receiver so I'm already using toslink for that.

In the future, I 'll avoid Onkyo. I've always had good luck with Sony products.
post #97 of 254 Old 03-25-2010, 06:33 PM

KidHorn,

Avoid the heartache and just send it back to Onkyo as of now..

SEGA! was seriously injured, but the soul still BURNS!

Fixed my ONKYO HTS-6100\HTR667:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnHxThGxasQ
post #98 of 254 Old 03-26-2010, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostcase View Post

KidHorn,

Avoid the heartache and just send it back to Onkyo as of now..

I've been through this before. I had a JVC receiver that had the subwoofer out stop working. I took it to a local authorized JVC repair shop. They sat on it for 4 weeks and said they couldn't fix it. I then paid $10 to ship it to New Jersey and it came back a month later fixed. A few months later it completely died.

If I send the receiver back to Onkyo, the same thing will happen. The HDMI will work for a while and then go out or something else will fail. I don't want to keep wasting time and money on the POS. I paid $379 for it slightly less than 2 years ago. The thing is probably worth $200 now. My wife spends more than this every week on her clothes.

I have 3 kids 11 and younger who cannot go without TV for a single day. If I switch to toslink for sound, no one will notice a difference. So what if I don't get 7.1 Master Audio. Regular 5.1 sounds about the same.

If it fails, i'll throw it out and get an HDMI 1.4 receiver from Sony or Yamaha.
post #99 of 254 Old 04-05-2010, 09:34 AM

Hi all. Got a TX-SR606 receiver for my parents 10/08 and it hosed in the first 30 days so got Hhgreg to give us a new one. This next one lasted just over a year and we have been battling the HDMI throughput since. The unit has to be powered on and off a bunch of times for it to finally begin working regardless of input device or port. All the ports act the same, so changing inputs doesn't help.

For better or for worse, this sounds like the same issue many people here are having. One thing though, I could not tell from everyone's posts, are the warranty repairs being performed using 'different' parts then the original HDMI cards that are causing all of these problems? Did they identify the issue and release a new card? In other words, after we go through the hassle of warranty repairs, are we just as predisposed to failure as the 606 units currently seem to be, does anyone know?

And just to verify, this unit is the 2 year warranty correct?

Thanks all!
post #100 of 254 Old 04-05-2010, 11:34 AM

I have a 606 as well, and have both a Comcast box and a PS3 Slim hooked up to it, with one hdmi going from the 606 to a Samsung LN52A650. The comcast box *always* works fine, but the ps3 handshake only works maybe 20% of the time. I have tried turning them on in all kinds of different orders, and sometimes one way works and sometimes it's another. I didn't think the problem was with the 606 since like I said on the TV input, the comcast box always works the first time everytime.

EDIT: Hmm, maybe the comcast box works because that's 1080i and the PS3 is 1080p?
post #101 of 254 Old 04-05-2010, 11:44 AM

Hi all, just thought I'd update on the situation with my TX-SR606.

I finally brought my receiver back to the authorized Onkyo repair facility nearest to me today. As I posted earlier, I started having the HDMI switching issues last summer and have already had the HDMI board replaced once in the beginning of November '09.

I dropped it off and was told that Onkyo has changed the repair procedure for this unit a couple of times. I was told that Onkyo originally recommended replacing the HDMI board (when I brought my unit in for repair last October), then they changed their procedure to add caps and replace the board, and now they are telling repair facilities to replace only the board again. I am assuming the board they are inserting into the units now is not the same board they inserted into them last year to fix this issue; hopefully that is the case, otherwise I fully expect my receiver to die again this summer sometime.

Anyway, the repair facility told me that I would be looking at at least eight weeks for a repair window. Unless, once again, I paid a $30 repair fee, then I could expect to get my receiver back within two to three weeks. It burns me to have to pay to get a warranty repair done in an acceptable time frame, but I really didn't want to be without surround sound for two months so I paid the $30.

My warranty ends in early November, so hopefully if it craps out again it will do so before then. According to a phone call I had last year with Onkyo customer service, if you have the bring the same unit in for repair three times for the same issue Onkyo will replace or upgrade your unit for free. We shall see.

I'll post again when I get my TX-SR606 back.
post #102 of 254 Old 04-05-2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edraven View Post

I have a 606 as well, and have both a Comcast box and a PS3 Slim hooked up to it, with one hdmi going from the 606 to a Samsung LN52A650. The comcast box *always* works fine, but the ps3 handshake only works maybe 20% of the time. I have tried turning them on in all kinds of different orders, and sometimes one way works and sometimes it's another. I didn't think the problem was with the 606 since like I said on the TV input, the comcast box always works the first time everytime.

EDIT: Hmm, maybe the comcast box works because that's 1080i and the PS3 is 1080p?

I think your last comment is correct. I had a TiVo and a PS3 connected via HDMI, and the problem originally started with the 1080p signal from the PS3. Eventually the problem got worse, though, so expect your problems to continue. Mine eventually got to the point that it didn't matter what resolution was being passed through it, if I turned my receiver off it was nearly impossible to get the handshake to complete when I turned it on again.

I just posted above that I brought mine in for my second warranty repair, we'll see what happens.
post #103 of 254 Old 04-05-2010, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by edraven View Post

Correct. Same exact situation I had. Mine's still sitting in the garage. I'm still debating whether it's worth sending out for repair or not.
post #104 of 254 Old 04-05-2010, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macks1974 View Post

According to a phone call I had last year with Onkyo customer service, if you have the bring the same unit in for repair three times for the same issue Onkyo will replace or upgrade your unit for free. We shall see.

I'll post again when I get my TX-SR606 back.

I was told that also, 3 warranty repairs before replacement. You might also want to e-mail them and request a warranty extension for the down time. They added 2 months for the time mine was in for repair.
post #105 of 254 Old 04-05-2010, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerpilot View Post

I was told that also, 3 warranty repairs before replacement. You might also want to e-mail them and request a warranty extension for the down time. They added 2 months for the time mine was in for repair.

Thanks, I'll probably do that when I get it back from repair.
post #106 of 254 Old 04-06-2010, 09:07 AM

Wow. I just got a call from the repair facility where I dropped off my TX-SR606 yesterday. Apparently it's fixed and I can go pick it up. Less than 24 hours turnaround time, a far cry from the four weeks it took the first time.

It still burns me that I had to pay $30 for rush service or wait eight weeks, but I guess $30 vs. two months without surround sound is worth it.

If I get any interesting information from the repair facility I'll post again later today.
post #107 of 254 Old 04-06-2010, 12:42 PM

Well, hopefully this will be my last post on the topic. I just got finished hooking everything up, and my TX-SR606 seems to be working perfectly again. I haven't heard TrueHD in months, and am really enjoying it.

Anyway, in case anyone is interested here is what they did (copied from the work order):

Quote:

Work Performed
Replaced C8072, C8096, C8602, C8609 and added 4 TF caps on HDMI board per Onkyo tech bulletin #10012702. Checked operation with a Blu-Ray player and a 1080p TV monitor.

Hopefully this is the end of my journey and I will be able to enjoy TrueHD audio and actually be able to turn off my receiver at night from now on.

Good luck to others dealing with this issue.
post #108 of 254 Old 04-06-2010, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Just got mine back as well. Looks like all they did was replace the HDMI board. No mention of caps or anything else. So far it is working. We shall see how long. For those interested in what it would cost, there is $50 in labor and $290.30 for the board.
post #109 of 254 Old 04-06-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerpilot View Post

Just got mine back as well. Looks like all they did was replace the HDMI board. No mention of caps or anything else. So far it is working. We shall see how long. For those interested in what it would cost, there is $50 in labor and $290.30 for the board.

Wow. If i had to pay $340+ to fix it I would've thrown it away instead and bought a different receiver. Glad I was still under warranty.
post #110 of 254 Old 04-06-2010, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macks1974 View Post

Wow. If i had to pay $340+ to fix it I would've thrown it away instead and bought a different receiver. Glad I was still under warranty.

Oh yeah, mine was under warranty as well - there is no way I would pay that either, but some were wondering what the cost would be if they couldn't find their receipt etc. Just thought I would put that out there.
post #111 of 254 Old 04-06-2010, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
While the heat is an issue - it is no better in the 607 which does NOT have these problems.

I have had my 606 in for repair now the SECOND TIME (Chicago, Diverisity Authorized Dealer - huge btw). They state

1. The boards themselves are poorly made. Basically they warp, chips pop out.
2. The heat does not help this
3. Onkyo put hte board ABOVE THE HOTTEST competent in the thing.
4. No matter how many times they fix it - eventuially it will die unless onkyo gives you a 607.

So stupid me is ordering the 608 hoping
1. As good as 607+1.4a HDMI
2. Weighs like 4 lbs more so maybe better.
post #112 of 254 Old 04-06-2010, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjchmura View Post

While the heat is an issue - it is no better in the 607 which does NOT have these problems.

I have had my 606 in for repair now the SECOND TIME (Chicago, Diverisity Authorized Dealer - huge btw). They state

1. The boards themselves are poorly made. Basically they warp, chips pop out.
2. The heat does not help this
3. Onkyo put hte board ABOVE THE HOTTEST competent in the thing.
4. No matter how many times they fix it - eventuially it will die unless onkyo gives you a 607.

So stupid me is ordering the 608 hoping
1. As good as 607+1.4a HDMI
2. Weighs like 4 lbs more so maybe better.

3. Retire the 606 to our bedroom for HDMI-CEC and the volume equalization stuff (which my wife likes and actually appreciates at low volumes)

You know, it sucks that litterally onkyo has
1. Best prices
2. Best power/THD/$
3. Best features (1.4a not 1.4 for HTPC etc)
4. 2EQ
5. HDMI-CEC THAT WORKS WITH ALL DEVICES I HAVE TRIED from Mits, to sony, to Samsung
6. Sync with ATI/NVIDIA no problems - my 5870 bitstreams blu-rays to my 606 before it blew up. No "hacking" your HTPC monitor files.

Why can't Yamaha or Denon be this compatible....
post #113 of 254 Old 04-19-2010, 08:44 PM

I have 667 that with HDMI failures. I think we need to pursue class action on this issue to reimburse owners for repairs, shipping, time etc. Does anyone know the name of the law firm that successfully sued Sony for the XBR class action on their green blob, light engine fiasco? Maybe they would take the case.
post #114 of 254 Old 05-01-2010, 07:34 AM

Liked: 21
For those facing an OOW unit I thought you might be interested in my repair 'blog-thread'. It hasn't been verified at the moment but given enough time....

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1246078
"How to DIY ; TX-SR576/TX-SR606/etc HDMI daughterboard repair"

This however doesn't make me feel any less a victim .
post #115 of 254 Old 05-01-2010, 07:44 AM

Forget this piece of crap. The nearest service center, according to Onkyo's site, is in friggin Denver, CO. I'm in Round Rock, TX. Not sending it to Denver, sorry. Suck it, Onkyo.

I just bought a Denon AVR2310 on Amazon. I'm waiting for it to come in.

I'm done with this.
post #116 of 254 Old 05-01-2010, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronzorelli View Post

Forget this piece of crap. The nearest service center, according to Onkyo's site, is in friggin Denver, CO. I'm in Round Rock, TX. Not sending it to Denver, sorry. Suck it, Onkyo.

I just bought a Denon AVR2310 on Amazon. I'm waiting for it to come in.

I'm done with this.

Would you send it to Canada instead - collect ?

Hmmmm, offering impractical warranty conditions is supposed to motivate us to not break it - or in this case, not turn it on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack1974 View Post

Work Performed
Replaced C8072, C8096, C8602, C8609 and added 4 TF caps on HDMI board per Onkyo tech bulletin #10012702. Checked operation with a Blu-Ray player and a 1080p TV monitor.

Wow, I'd kill to see what and where caps were added....my DIY seems lacking now. Can you see anything useful by peering through the vent holes ? TIA
post #117 of 254 Old 05-01-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZ_the_DAY View Post

Would you send it to Canada instead - collect ?

I wouldn't wish this thing on anyone. I've resolved to simply leave it on at all times so I don't have to worry about it not handshaking when I turn it on. And now, it's flipping out intermittently because of that too... let's not forget that I can't listen to stuff loud because it turns itself off at 40 when there's a loud noise on the tube. *BANG* it goes out.

It's a piece of garbage.

Onkyo, you lost me for life... and I'm not the only one, I'm sure.
post #118 of 254 Old 05-03-2010, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronzorelli View Post

Forget this piece of crap. The nearest service center, according to Onkyo's site, is in friggin Denver, CO. I'm in Round Rock, TX. < snip >
I'm done with this.

FWIW, a member of another A/V site , apparently from Dallas, makes mention of using an unnamed repair depot that's 'the only authorized repair center in Texas'

http://www.highdefforum.com/1013404-post31.html
post #119 of 254 Old 05-03-2010, 12:05 PM

Thanks, CZ. I'll be joining that forum now. Might just post on the thread too.
post #120 of 254 Old 05-03-2010, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

My warranty expires in 1 month.. I have not had any of the mentioned problems yet, but now I am worried. Has anyone NOT had problems with these receivers? FYI have used it nearly everyday exclusively through HDMI for the past 23 months.

Michael

Collection: DVD | High-def
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page