post #121 of 254 Old 05-06-2010, 12:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan123 View Post

My warranty expires in 1 month.. I have not had any of the mentioned problems yet, but now I am worried. Has anyone NOT had problems with these receivers? FYI have used it nearly everyday exclusively through HDMI for the past 23 months.

I have had no problems with my 606 since I bought it. It was purchased the first week they were released. "Knock on wood."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 254 Old 05-10-2010, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWG707 View Post

I have had no problems with my 606 since I bought it. It was purchased the first week they were released. "Knock on wood."

Same here, except I got mine refurbished from Accessories4less a little over a year ago. My warranty expired just last month

Have a PS3 and Comcast Motorola box hooked up. My receiver has always been completely out in the open, so it's always had good ventilation. But after hearing about all these HDMI problems, I ordered a component fan from coolerguys for it about a month ago. Now it feels as cool to the touch as when it's off, even after a couple of hours. Hopefully, that keeps it alive.

Anyone else with refurbished units? What have been your experiences? Was wondering if it was usually a capacitor problem too. Just changed the caps in my Samsung TV following instructions on this board and that was fairly simple. Guess I've had bad luck with the reliability of my electronics, first the TV now I have to worry about this thing possibly dying on me.
post #123 of 254 Old 05-15-2010, 02:07 PM

My 606 just crapped out on me because of this HDMI issue (or I presume that's what's up). Tried to hook up my M11x laptop via HDMI, which has worked flawlessly at 1080p in the past, laptop screen went dark like normal, but no signal on HDTV. Odd, I figured it was probably a driver issue.

Decided to watch a blu-ray instead. Turned on my BD590 and switched input on 606. HDMI flashed forever on the Onkyo, then it finally spit back no signal. Meanwhile I look at the display on the front of the BD590 and it's flashing back and forth between 1080i/1080p. Odd again, hooked it up using 480i single RCA to the front of the Onkyo - BD player menu shows up just fine. Forced the HDMI port to use 720p, hooked it back up to the Onkyo and it finally connected. Apparently I can't use 1080p on any sources at all anymore via the 606. Works great direct to the HDTV, but then I get no surround.

Called up Onkyo, they gave me two service centers. Called the local one first, they informed me that the HDMI boards are on back-order from Onkyo and the estimated time to get the part would be 6-8 weeks. That sucks. Called Onkyo's "USA Regional" service center, they couldn't give me a repair estimate time at all.

Called Onyko service & support again to request they expedite the process and the CSR chuckled at me and said "Sir, we have nothing to do with the speed of our repair centers".

So I think I'm done with Onkyo, I really don't want to be without a receiver for 8 weeks.

What's the recommended replacement for the 606? I've been looking at a Denon 1910 or maybe one from Yamaha.
post #124 of 254 Old 05-15-2010, 02:23 PM

Look for a Pioneer VSX-9040TXH. You won't be disappointed in much, possibly including the price, though the remote is very poorly designed and not user-friendly. The set-up is also very different but the end results are sonically impressive, with never an HDMI hitch when you switch!
post #125 of 254 Old 05-15-2010, 04:56 PM

I'm having the same problem with my 606. If I leave all my components turned on, I can get an HDMI signal from my DVR. This used to work with my Blu-ray player but it seems to have finally died. Does anyone know if the 608 or RC-180 will have the same problems?
post #126 of 254 Old 05-21-2010, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macks1974 View Post

Well, hopefully this will be my last post on the topic. I just got finished hooking everything up, and my TX-SR606 seems to be working perfectly again. I haven't heard TrueHD in months, and am really enjoying it.

Anyway, in case anyone is interested here is what they did (copied from the work order):

Hopefully this is the end of my journey and I will be able to enjoy TrueHD audio and actually be able to turn off my receiver at night from now on.

Good luck to others dealing with this issue.

As I'm experiencing the same issue with my 667.. I just got off the phone with a auth. service center in North Carolina which is the closest one I could find. I started off with "have you been repairing many Onkyo receivers lately?" and his answer was "every day." I then asked him what Onkyo's current procedure was for repairing these.. he told me that they will first replace the caps, and if that doesn't work replace the board. He also told me that the cap replacement is "working about 80% of the time"... that statement just didn't sit well with me at all for whatever reason.

I also asked if they were simply putting in the exact same components that were failing in the receivers already and he said "no, these are upgraded/updated components". So.. take that for what it's worth.

I just wonder... how are they testing to see if the cap replacement works? I worry that they'll slap it onto a blu ray player and the caps will appear to work and they'll ship it back to me.. and then it will fail shortly when the hdmi board replacement is really what was needed. I don't really understand the innards of these things, so my uneducated understanding is that the hdmi board replacement is a more thorough fix than merely replacing the caps.. I could be way off base there, though. I just want this thing fixed.
post #127 of 254 Old 05-21-2010, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Mine's in for service now. Brought it in last Saturday. Repair guy had 3 more 606's on the floor waiting for new HDMI boards form Onkyo. He told me they were shipping new and improved boards that cost almost as much as my 606 cost new almost 2 yrs ago @ $350.

Anyway he said if they had them in stock It would be ready by today. Called him up and was told "should" be fixed by next week just waiting for the parts to come in.
post #128 of 254 Old 05-22-2010, 06:59 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I've had my 606 for 2 years with zero issues. However, my plasma is an old school 480p LG. I'm expecting to upgrade to a 1080p Panny soon.

Based on what I'm reading in this thread, is it safe to say that I should be fine with my 606 as long as I don't run 1808p through it? I'm happy to watch 720p or 1080i or whatever until I get a new receiver.

Is 1080p the real cause of all the problems?

Upgraditis Anonymous
post #129 of 254 Old 05-22-2010, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlpearman View Post

I've had my 606 for 2 years with zero issues. However, my plasma is an old school 480p LG. I'm expecting to upgrade to a 1080p Panny soon.

Based on what I'm reading in this thread, is it safe to say that I should be fine with my 606 as long as I don't run 1808p through it? I'm happy to watch 720p or 1080i or whatever until I get a new receiver.

It starts with the higher signals but then spreads it's way down. Eventually you don't get any picture with any signal. If you are good so far, maybe it won't affect you, but if it does and you are out of warranty, I would press your case with Onkyo since this is now a very well known defect. Good luck.
post #130 of 254 Old 05-22-2010, 07:22 AM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlpearman View Post

Like most other computing tasks it goes to reason that if you need to process more bits per period of time, you consume more power, produce more heat. In addition, more throughput becomes more sensitive to errors which seem to be caused by noise in the various power supplies located on the HDMI board. It does appear then that 1080p is 'the canary in the coalmine' if not also contributor to the degradation.
post #131 of 254 Old 05-23-2010, 10:30 PM

Liked: 13
Thanks badger and CZ!

Upgraditis Anonymous
post #132 of 254 Old 05-24-2010, 09:44 AM

My Onkyo HT-R667 has been experiencing the same common problem. Gets worse and worse over time. Sometimes I can get it to recognize the HDMI coming in from the PS3 and sometimes it just won't see it. Same problem with it not recognizing my Comcast Motorola DCX3400 HD-DVR. Really a pain when you're trying to watch an NBA playoff game or drop in a Blu-Ray movie. Bought mine from Circuit City on 12/15/2008, so it's about 18 months old now. Guess it just deteriorates over time from the excessive heat. The new 608 has built in fans, as do most of the new equipment, so Onkyo obviously recognizes they had a problem and did something to keep their receivers running at a cooler temp.

Anyway, I called Onkyo and they told me I had to ship it to the repair center on my dime and they would repair it. Asked them if I could just pay to upgrade to the 608 with the fan (and 3-D pass-through) and they told me only if it didn't get corrected after 3 repairs. So I'm sending mine off to to Denver (I'm in Portland OR) as Onkyo told me that Denver would have the quickest turnaround time. I'll see how it goes.

Very tempted to just put down $500 at Best Buy for the 608.
post #133 of 254 Old 05-24-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimoChristy View Post

My Onkyo HT-R667 has been experiencing the same common problem. Gets worse and worse over time. Sometimes I can get it to recognize the HDMI coming in from the PS3 and sometimes it just won't see it. Same problem with it not recognizing my Comcast Motorola DCX3400 HD-DVR. Really a pain when you're trying to watch an NBA playoff game or drop in a Blu-Ray movie. Bought mine from Circuit City on 12/15/2008, so it's about 18 months old now. Guess it just deteriorates over time from the excessive heat. The new 608 has built in fans, as do most of the new equipment, so Onkyo obviously recognizes they had a problem and did something to keep their receivers running at a cooler temp.

Anyway, I called Onkyo and they told me I had to ship it to the repair center on my dime and they would repair it. Asked them if I could just pay to upgrade to the 608 with the fan (and 3-D pass-through) and they told me only if it didn't get corrected after 3 repairs. So I'm sending mine off to to Denver (I'm in Portland OR) as Onkyo told me that Denver would have the quickest turnaround time. I'll see how it goes.

Very tempted to just put down $500 at Best Buy for the 608.

Just shipped mine off to a repair center in Charlotte, NC. Really hope they've got the problem nailed down by now.

I was becoming deeply concerned upon reading people who were getting their device back only to have the same issues persist. But seems like those occurred back in 2009, so my hope is Onkyo has a better handle on the issue now.

I guess it's in their hands unfortunately, being still under warranty I have to at least give the repair a try.
post #134 of 254 Old 05-25-2010, 08:00 AM

Good luck Vinnie. I'm going to try and get mine shipped out to the Denver regional service center in the next day or two. Half the problem is coming up with a suitable container to ship it in since the receiver originally was part of an HTIB and that box is 4 feet tall! Don't want to do any further damage to the unit. Please let us know how it goes on the warren repair (meantime to repair and resolution). As you've said, maybe the new parts are correcting the problem at this late date. I will probably add a fan to mine as other members have. I will keep everyone posted on my resolution also.
post #135 of 254 Old 05-25-2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:

Good luck Vinnie. I'm going to try and get mine shipped out to the Denver regional service center in the next day or two. Half the problem is coming up with a suitable container to ship it in since the receiver originally was part of an HTIB and that box is 4 feet tall! Don't want to do any further damage to the unit. Please let us know how it goes on the warren repair (meantime to repair and resolution). As you've said, maybe the new parts are correcting the problem at this late date. I will probably add a fan to mine as other members have. I will keep everyone posted on my resolution also.

Kimo, as far as shipping goes I just took my receiver to the local UPS store. They supplied the box and all packing material for around $12. Also, I let them pack it so that if it it somehow damaged in transit they're responsible for it. (Pack and Ship Promise) Total cost to me (shipping insurance and all) was $33 shipping via UPS ground. Looks like Portland has plenty of these, just plug in your address to find the one closest to you: http://go.mappoint.net/ups/PrxInput.aspx

I tried to call Onkyo today to get someone with ANY technical knowledge in an attempt to assuage my fears of the problem arising again after awhile of use after repair, but no luck.. all I got out of them was "the repair center won't ship it back to you until it works". Grrr.. yeah, maybe works NOW but there have been plenty of reports of the issue popping back up over time and if that happens after your warranty expires...

Then I found this posted on another forum (Dated 3/12/10):

"I got my unit back today (finally). While he was finishing the paperwork, I asked about the rumors that the new part (HDMI board) was bound to break over time just like the original had. He stated that while that was true a few months ago, Onkyo and/or the part supplier has rectified the problem and should not pose any additional breakdowns. He stated that the problem was some of the capacitors were going bad. They have changed the capacitors that are known to be faulty, and this has supposedly fixed the problem."

*fingers crossed*
post #136 of 254 Old 05-26-2010, 09:32 AM

Thanks for the shipping info Vinnie. $33 to buy a piece of cardboard and ship it is a bit pricey. F#%!ed up warranty when the consumer has to come out of pocket to ship a defective product. Nonetheless, I've got an old DVR box with styrofoam that this should fit in to save a few bucks. I would hope that at this stage in the game the parts being used to repair this problem are of superior quality. But the #1 enemy to these parts frying is HEAT! Keep that baby cooled when you get it back and you may get 2 more years of service out of it.
post #137 of 254 Old 05-26-2010, 12:24 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the shipping info Vinnie. $33 to buy a piece of cardboard and ship it is a bit pricey. F#%!ed up warranty when the consumer has to come out of pocket to ship a defective product. Nonetheless, I've got an old DVR box with styrofoam that this should fit in to save a few bucks. I would hope that at this stage in the game the parts being used to repair this problem are of superior quality. But the #1 enemy to these parts frying is HEAT! Keep that baby cooled when you get it back and you may get 2 more years of service out of it.

I wasn't happy about paying to ship it to them either, but it's alot cheaper than buying a new receiver.

Anyway... I've also been thinking of ways to keep it cool. I've seen some mods where some have installed pc fans inside the case. But they had to cut slots on the case itself and if you did that you'd have no hope of getting Onkyo to repair it. So I'm thinking of ways to cool it but not void the warranty... I think laying a pc fan on top with airflow directed out would at least help some to suck some of the heat out. Thoughts?

Still, I've read posts from people who had their Onkyo sitting out in the open, totally ventilated and it still crapped out. I know heat is the enemy, but I'm not sure one could've prevented the failing of the initial build of this line of Onkyos.
post #138 of 254 Old 05-28-2010, 03:51 PM

Liked: 11
Welp.. I found this thread because lo and behold the HDMI is crapping out on me too all of a sudden. It's ONLY with the Xbox 360 input/output (so far?) and it takes a good 3 or 4 reboots, and even an actual unplug of the HDMI and plug back in, for it to get the handshake figured out. Extremely annoying and pretty much a show stopper.

I was wondering.. there was a new "security" update on the 360 this week.. could the HDMI code been messed with which is causing this problem or do you guys think I'm hit with the failing HDMI daughter board?

My Onkyo 606 is sitting out in the open, totally ventilated like the previous poster said.
post #139 of 254 Old 05-29-2010, 10:56 AM

I've found a temporary fix for my problem. Run the HDMI from the 360 to my TV and then a TOS optical link out to the Onkyo 606.

Until the next HDMI port fails at least.. what a piece of ****.. Onkyo lost a customer here. I'm never buying another one.
post #140 of 254 Old 05-29-2010, 08:25 PM

Got mine back today but have not had a chance to hook it back up. When I told the repair guy that I bought some USB fans for it to keep it cool he told me not to worry that Onkyo had replaced the HDMI with a better, cooler board less prone to heat issues.
post #141 of 254 Old 05-30-2010, 10:59 AM

Anyone know the phone number to find a local authorized repair center? I got mine at Amazon in 08'. I hope there is a 2 year factory warranty.
post #142 of 254 Old 05-31-2010, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluvious View Post

Anyone know the phone number to find a local authorized repair center? I got mine at Amazon in 08'. I hope there is a 2 year factory warranty.

Check here: http://www.us.onkyo.com/locator.cfm

Be sure to select "Authorized Service Centers". Good luck to you.
post #143 of 254 Old 05-31-2010, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnieVol View Post

Check here: http://www.us.onkyo.com/locator.cfm

Be sure to select "Authorized Service Centers". Good luck to you.

Thanks..looks like the closest is in Mountain View.. yikes.

update.. looks like I got VERY lucky. My 2 year warranty expires on July 14th this year. I made it with a month to spare. Should take a little over a week to get it fixed. Whew..

Btw: American Express doubles the warranty so actually I had 4 years. heh.
post #144 of 254 Old 06-02-2010, 03:04 PM

I've been browsing the AVS forum for many years now and the time has finally come for me to create an account. I purchased the HT-R667 back in September '08 and just picked it up from the repair shop. I read a bunch of posts throughout the internet over the past 6 months or so regarding similar problems with other users. I had all of the typical symptoms of the faulty HDMI pass-through. It started about a year ago with my Wii (component in > receiver > HDMI out > TV). Everything worked perfectly fine at 1st, but it seemed to slowly deteriorate. I also lost the HT-R667's on-screen display. I did end up figuring out a method that seemed to get the Wii to work correctly. It had to do with the order I turned on all of the equipment. Well, that trick eventually failed and I was unable to view the video display on my TV, but audio was always fine. I never gave the receiver a chance to "warm up" to see if that would fix the video issue.

Slowly but surely, the symptoms began to appear with my other hardware - Xbox, Blu-ray and cable box. It seemed to be luck that got anything going. I finally gave up and contacted Onkyo support through their web site in order to start the service process. They told me to reset the receiver back to factory defaults. The reset actually helped in one area of the pass-through problem since some of the hardware started to work consistently, but all in all, the reset ended up breaking a majority of my HD cable channels! Some channels were perfectly fine while others would be extremely choppy and/or not appear on-screen at all. I thought it may have been an issue with my cable provider, but I took the receiver out of the equation and all channels then displayed without a problem. I took it in for repair the next day. Parts had to be ordered after the problem was diagnosed. The total turnaround from when I dropped it off to when it was ready for pickup was a little under 3 weeks.

Here's a summary of the parts that were used for the repair:

Part: PLASTIC 1MF50V
Part #: 374721044T
Quantity: 4
Ref.: NA
Inv #: W475646
Ordered from: Onkyo
Price ea: $1.67

Part: Capacitor
Part #: 3981G1017R2
Quantity: 4
Ref.: C8072,80
Inv#: W475646
Ordered from: Onkyo
Price ea: .89
post #145 of 254 Old 06-03-2010, 10:56 AM

My repair guy said the board costs $400 to replace. Funny.. I spent $400 ON the tx606!! Crazy.
post #146 of 254 Old 06-04-2010, 01:47 PM

I'm like Micca, been using the Forum for years for my research. I had to join as this Onkyo 606/667 problems is just wrong for us consumers. I have the HT-R667 receiver that came with the HTIB (6100) I purchased in January 2009. My problems are not quite what I'm reading in the posts from this thread and others. My receiver started popping & crackling in the front and surround speakers about 4 weeks ago while watching TIVO. I could get the sound back by turning the receiver off and back on. Several video dropouts about this time. None of the lound gunshot type pops that other threads talk about while watching certain DVD/BD discs. Then the sound totally stopped (thru HDMI) but the video was OK. So I switched to input #3. Good for a week & same thing started w/both audio & video dropouts. Sent the 667 off to Denver repair center (closest auth for Portland), for $40.00 UPS (33 shipping & ins 7 for the box).

Now it is wait & see with fingers crossed
post #147 of 254 Old 06-04-2010, 01:57 PM

We'll got mine back and hooked up finally. What a PITA. Disconnecting is some much easier then setting it back up. Those issues aside it is working like a charm. I'd forgotten what it is supposed to be like when you switch from one activity to another (Harmony 1) smooth as silk. Here's hoping the new improved HDMI board lasts.
post #148 of 254 Old 06-07-2010, 07:57 AM

Well today makes two weeks since I shipped my 667 off to the local repair center in Charlotte, NC. I called them this morning for an update. I was told that the cap replacement didn't resolve my hdmi issues, which makes sense because I had let the problem go on for a long, long time and I figured the damage had spread further than the caps.. if my understanding of the progression of the issue is correct.

So, they're waiting on boards to arrive. Oddly enough, he told me that they hadn't had very much trouble in getting the boards in lately.. perhaps this is another indication that Onkyo is getting a handle on the issue. He said he'd received email confirmation of a couple of boards arriving this morning and that if mine was one of them I could have my 667 as soon as Friday, but I won't get my hopes up quite that high.

All I know is I'm about to go crazy without my surround sound.
post #149 of 254 Old 06-08-2010, 01:15 PM

Just got the call from the repair center, my 667 is shipping back to me today. So...just a day short of two weeks.

Hope they truly fixed it!
post #150 of 254 Old 06-09-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnieVol View Post

Just got the call from the repair center, my 667 is shipping back to me today. So...just a day short of two weeks.

Hope they truly fixed it!

Talk about fast shipping... just got my 667 back from the shop. (Had it shipped here to work). Here is what was done:

Part# 22242581R2 IC, EEPROM Qty: 1 Cost: $.0.70
Part# 374721044T CAPACITOR Qty: 4 Cost: $.0.80
Part# 3981G1017R2 CAPACITOR Qty: 4 Cost: $0.28

So needless to say, I'm anxious to get out of the office today. I hope everything works fine. I'm amazed at how such inexpensive components could cause so much heartache.

---EDIT---
Got it home, hooked it up and everything worked like a charm. Let's just hope it lasts. I'm going to add a small desk fan today to try and move some hot air out of the cabinet compartment where the 667 is setting. It was sort of strange to see the hdmi inputs recognized immediately.. had almost forgot what that was like. :-/
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page