Onkyo 606 HDMI problems galore - Page 9 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #241 of 254 Old 10-09-2011, 08:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Pluvious...thanks for the input...I guess I'm jaded with my 606. If the heating issue is fixed, hdmi is working 100% in a later model I'd consider buying it.

If this is true...what Onkyo model is good to get based on my requirements? I'd like to stay $300 and less.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 254 Old 10-09-2011, 08:43 PM

Liked: 12
To be honest, for me to recommend one to you I would feel the need to research the latest models and compare them. You know, do the full research (isn't that half the fun of buying a new unit though?.. )

I guess I would start at the replacement model for the 606 and check out the models up and down from that. Start at Onkyo's offical website, google search reviews of each model number and MOST important do what I do. I found a VERY useful research tool, the Amazon comment section. You can glean valuable information from actual owners of the product. You learn of little quirks and detail you can't get from the spec sheets on websites and sadly even reviews.
Keep in mind to take everything said on those users reviews with a grain of salt though. Some are mad for some stupid feature it has or doesn't have and have a grudge and talk $hit about it and they are just down voting it. But average out the stars and you can really get a handle on what you are buying and the options/features you have with each model. That was what I meant about buying up one level.. find the best features for YOU and then to future proof yourself, buy the model that has a few extra inputs or whiz bang features you don't even know you will need or want. Within budget of course.

Good luck and have fun. New 'toys' are always a blast to shop for. Heh
post #243 of 254 Old 10-30-2011, 10:44 AM

First off, I am not as tech savy as many posters here.

But I started having delays in video on my TV about a month ago. I thought it was the TV, then the DirecTV HDPVR. Never realized that the Onkyo 606 could be the problem. Drove myself crazy investigating the other two options.

Finally, a friend suggested the receiver and I found this thread last night. I have the same symptoms as many have described. Bought my 606 in Oct 2008 from Amazon and have had no problems until this progressive 'delay' in video. But I think I will go back to Yamaha.

Thanks to all the posters who started this thread and contributed. It saved my sanity!
post #244 of 254 Old 12-03-2011, 11:55 AM

Just go to your ps3 setup and put in 1080i not 1080p and that it !!!and your onkyo gona roconize your ps3 trust me it work !!!
post #245 of 254 Old 01-21-2012, 01:27 PM

time revive the dead...

For the longest time, I've thought my Dish Network Dish had been bumped and was giving me weird blackouts.

Well, I just had my DVR replaced by them because of a bad input, and they said while checking things out that my signal was ok. They said I might get the drops outs because of dust on the hdmi cables. I didn't buy it...but figured I'd look into things later.

Well, today i was thinking....i've seen the problem in dvr recordings. if the problem repeats in the same spot, and I can rewind/fast forward and always see it... I can assume it's signal loss... if it ain't there... then it's a connection or something else.

Well... as you've guessed it didn't always pop in the same place in a recording.

Then I did a quick search and ended up here.

I only see my problem with the dvr run into the Onkyo... dvd doesn't do it, and my htpc only uses audio in the receiver...video is direct to tv.

I get video blackouts for what seems like 1 sec or less, then the signal comes back.

whoops, forgot to say, also not seeing on screen setup anymore

Trying to figure out when I got this thing, and where, and if there's any hope in hell of warranty.
post #246 of 254 Old 01-21-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carphunter View Post

Trying to figure out when I got this thing, and where, and if there's any hope in hell of warranty.

Buried in the official Onkyo 606 Owners thread, there are several people (including myself) who have called them up and received a free one-time out-of-warranty repair.

Definitely give them a call.

oh hi.
post #247 of 254 Old 01-22-2012, 03:29 PM

problem is, in my initial digging, i can't find the receipt... and not real certain where i picked it up
post #248 of 254 Old 03-23-2012, 08:39 AM

Mine's currently in for repair, and waiting for parts. Anyone know if they are using a new/modified repair part/board, and not the original style that's prone to failure?
post #249 of 254 Old 05-11-2012, 10:05 AM

I'm starting to get some HDMI flakiness with my 606, but not in the way that most people do, and I'm wondering if it's related to the HDMI issues other 606 owners have experienced.

I recently moved my setup to another room, and decided to change things around a bit. I used to have a DirecTV box running directly to my TV via component, but decided I was tired of that and just ran it to the 606, which outputs to my TV via HDMI. Now I have to turn the 606 off and on (sometimes I don't, sometimes once, sometimes 5 times) to get a picture.

I have never experienced any problems with HDMI into the 606, however.

Is this the beginning of the end? I've had the receiver since early 2008.
post #250 of 254 Old 05-11-2012, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracer_Bullet View Post

I'm starting to get some HDMI flakiness with my 606, but not in the way that most people do, and I'm wondering if it's related to the HDMI issues other 606 owners have experienced.

I recently moved my setup to another room, and decided to change things around a bit. I used to have a DirecTV box running directly to my TV via component, but decided I was tired of that and just ran it to the 606, which outputs to my TV via HDMI. Now I have to turn the 606 off and on (sometimes I don't, sometimes once, sometimes 5 times) to get a picture.

I have never experienced any problems with HDMI into the 606, however.

Is this the beginning of the end? I've had the receiver since early 2008.

It probably is. Do you have any other HDMI sources that it happens to?
post #251 of 254 Old 05-11-2012, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerpilot View Post

It probably is. Do you have any other HDMI sources that it happens to?

Nope. It doesn't happen via HDMI sources, period. Just on component into the receiver, HDMI out.
post #252 of 254 Old 05-12-2012, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Not sure then. I don't remember anyone having that issue and I didn't since I was using HDMI only. You might give Onkyo a call and see what they say. You might get lucky with a one time out of warranty repair if it is the HDMI board issue.
post #253 of 254 Old 01-30-2013, 07:44 PM

This issue has been bugging with mine for quite some time.. worked perfect newly and slowly started crapping out over the last few years.. It'll only find my ROKU signal and that's after about 2 min of being on and saying "no signal."

The link below shows a guy who came up with a fix and apparently a few others have done it also and it worked.. I just bought a pack of 10 capacitors from ebay for about 4 bucks w/shipping....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj0x5S9ez5U

THIS MAY BE THE ANSWER!!!!
post #254 of 254 Old 02-03-2013, 12:34 PM

I have SAME exact problem..will a firmware update fix it or is there even one ?

thx
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page