Onkyo 606 HDMI problems galore - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 254 Old 04-24-2009, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Folks,

My 606 has been slowly crapping out for a couple of months, and I fear the HDMI daughtercard is fried.

I have a Samsung 2500 and a Comcast DCH 3416 both connected through HDMI to the Onkyo, and the damn receiver just can't get it together. Powering on the receiver (cable input) yields no video to my Samsung LN46A550 for upwards of 10 minutes. After a while the handshake comes through and audio starts, and then a few minutes later we get video.

The BD, on the other hand, just wont handshake anymore at all. I've had to completely bypass the receiver and run the HDMI to the tv, and use the TV's digi optical out to feed audio back to the receiver (logistically easier than running right to the receiver).

Anyway, I'm looking for a solution before I have to get on the phone to Onkyo's awful tech support and drop the unit off for neigh-on-forever at their repair/refurb shop near me. I've run through all of the HDMI settings, turned off CEC, disabled HDMI audio output, the video is set to passthrough, and nothing fixes it.

I've reset the Onkyo several times, and the first time it recovered HDMI handshaking ability, but this second time I have had no such luck.

Does anyone have a solution or a set of debug steps I can go through?

Let me state clearly that this just started happening within the last couple of months. I bought it in September and up until February it was running like a champ, no problems at all. I could swap between powered-on components and it would handshake 100% of the time and do what it was supposed to do.

Any help appreciated.
thanks,
Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 254 Old 04-24-2009, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Try proper power on sequence: TV->606->other HDMI devices. Sounds like your receiver does have serious issues.

OTOH, when loop audio back from the TV, you will no get any surround sound. All you will get is PCM 2.0 because majority of the TVs don't output DD 5.1 unless it is from its internal ATSC tunner.
post #3 of 254 Old 04-24-2009, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

Power on sequence has no effect.

As an aside, it really shouldn't. It's not in the HDMI spec, and is completely unacceptable for manufacturers to foist this on us. My cable box is always on. Its a DVR. If I turn it off it will still record, but that doesn't prevent it from stopping me from turning it off when it's recording something. There is no way to shutdown the HDMI output independent of the tuner/DVR short of pulling the HDMI cable, and that is just utter nonsense. I don't want Legos or an Erector set or a goddamn Rube Goldberg machine every time I want to shut off my set. Infuriating.
post #4 of 254 Old 04-24-2009, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I bought it in September and up until February it was running like a champ, no problems at all.

It still should be running 'like a champ'

Next time put the receiver in the shop sooner

My mom works for Sony, and she brought home a copy of "Starhawk BETA"
I quickly slipped it into my trusty PS3, and started playing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 254 Old 07-25-2009, 09:26 PM

mine just started doing exactly what yours is doing

i had an issue about 2 weeks back where i couldnt get my sony BD player to show up on screen. i pissed about with it for 15mins or so. then all of a sudden it worked and i thought, ok what did i do to fix that then?

now i cant get the BD player to show up at all, and now my wd hd player box wont show up either. i get the "no signal" on the OSD. changed cables and all types of things but nothing. pulled the hdmi cables out of the receiver and straight into my sharp 52se94u tv and everything works perfect. 7 months old thats all the receiver is

hoping for some service from onkyo now i suppose...
post #6 of 254 Old 07-30-2009, 06:26 AM

I am having the exact same problem and have tried everything that I could think of. This is my second Onkyo receiver, the first one game me no reason to call their CS. If it had, I probably would not have bout this one because they suck hairy bloody Yak balls. I told the guy I just bought it from Frys Thursday, so he told me to go back and exchange it. Told him I bought the last one in Houston and that it was a demo. That was a mistake. He tried to make it seem like that was the problem, the fact that it was a demo. At this point I'm leaning toward sending it off to be repaired because it does seem to be a great unit. The only draw back looks like I have to pay to have it shipped off, unless I take it to Frys and they send it off. Let me know if you guys figure out what the problem is.
post #7 of 254 Old 07-30-2009, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

Since I wrote that post months ago, I have been fighting Onkyo for decent service. They have very very little to give, I assure you.

I sent the AVR in to United Radio Service of East Syracuse, NY (they are _awesome_, and the lone bright shining star in my saga) on 5/21/09. Today, 7/30/09, I have a new receiver (according to FedEx it will be delivered this afternoon). Between here and there, is a long, arduous saga, involving no fewer than 5 infuriating agents at Onkyo USA in Upper Saddle River, NJ. I have names and numbers, but I don't feel the need to call anyone out on a public forum.

I'm going to snip from a letter I sent to their CS department, post facto, because I do not want to retype it:

[...snip]

In May, after a month or so of hiccups and bugs in the HDMI subsystem of my Onkyo TX-SR606 receiver, I sent it in on a warranty claim for repair. It was received by United Radio Service [the contracted repair house], in East Syracuse, NY on May 22. Parts were ordered for repair on May 29. On June 12, I was informed that Onkyo did not have parts available, and that they were/are backordered until July 21. Six weeks is a long time to have any piece of equipment out for repair, so I called Onkyo to see if we could make another arrangement. I spoke with -name redacted-, in parts, who put me through a few hoops at first, but eventually relented and agreed to do a swap with a new unit because the parts for repair would be so long in coming. Their first position was to extend my manufacturer's warranty by 6 weeks (!!!!!), but I wasn't having that, as the cost of the warranty extension didn't begin to cover my time, aggravation, and opportunity cost of having no receiver for so long. On June 17, URS shipped my receiver directly to Onkyo, and once it was received there, Onkyo would send out a swap unit to me, directly.

That is where I stand today, frustrated, aggravated, and annoyed, 33 days later. Since sometime around June 22, Onkyo has been promising me weekly that a new receiver would be shipped out "next week" only for me to call on a Monday and be told that the receiver is on backorder and there was nothing available for me. Today I called again, and spoke with -name redacted- in order fulfillment, who told me just last Friday that she would ship me a new unit today. Now they are even promising an upgrade, to this year's model of TX-SR607, but this is only because the 606 has been discontinued. I called today, and -name redacted- told me next week at best. She indicated that they should be receiving new unit "the 4th week of July". I didn't tell her that that indicates this week, because I just didn't want to confuse the poor dear.

[end snip]

Fast forward about 10 days, and the receiver is finally in the mail. To sum up, HDMI daughterboard is fried. You will most likely have to follow the exact process I went through. Be persistent and take copious notes while on the phone. Do not necessarily expect to get a brand new unit like I did unless there is a backorder on your parts. Do expect to be frustrated and aggravated by Onkyo's horrible customer service.

Good luck to all.

Matt
post #8 of 254 Old 07-30-2009, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Before blaming the AVR...
Double check with Samsung and Comcast to make sure you have the latest firmware. Both of those products have had alot HDMI/HDCP handshake issues due to dated/incompatible firmware..

Just my $0.025...
post #9 of 254 Old 07-30-2009, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

@M Code:

Fair enough, but URS said the HDMI board (and a transformer) were bad. They also said they have seen other instances of the same, or similar, problems in the x06 models.
post #10 of 254 Old 07-30-2009, 12:38 PM

What do guys mean by the term "handshake"?
post #11 of 254 Old 07-30-2009, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMayface View Post

What do guys mean by the term "handshake"?

Thats the electronic and software process by which two HDMI devices send their capabilities to each other, acknowledge their respective existences, and decide on the best method available to push A/V data. A simple example is BD player to TV. The TV send its resolution capabilities to the BD player, and the BD player sends its list back in exchange, and they decide on what to use based on best available to both.

Its a process that should go smoothly in theory, but there have been multiple revisions to the HDMI spec, and many manufacturers (especially in the beginning of HDMI) were lax in their adherence to the exact spec.

In any case, if the handshake does not go properly, the channel is closed, and no data is transferred.
post #12 of 254 Old 07-31-2009, 10:35 AM

well i am taking mine into the repair shop today and see what they say.... i will report back but i know it wont be for at least 10 days as i am outta town until then to pick it up...

mine will be going to Japan Electronics in vancouver canada...
post #13 of 254 Old 07-31-2009, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbarayhick View Post

well i am taking mine into the repair shop today and see what they say.... i will report back but i know it wont be for at least 10 days as i am outta town until then to pick it up...

mine will be going to Japan Electronics in vancouver canada...

Good luck to you... I hope you get it back within the decade.
post #14 of 254 Old 07-31-2009, 01:46 PM

My 606 started having handshaking issues a few days ago - it can be as frequent as every minute or so to once an hour with my XBOX, and I get no signal to pass through with my PS3. I'll be doing some more troubleshooting, but I'm pretty sure mine is going down the dark path...
post #15 of 254 Old 07-31-2009, 04:02 PM

not sounding too good, i had a quick talk with the tech in the back of the repair shop as i brought my unit in, and he asked what was wrong. as soon as i said hdmi issues he said he has seen lots of these 606 models with this issue and will have to order the hdmi daughter card for it.

the place was packed with electronics, and i will say 70% had onkyo writen on it
post #16 of 254 Old 07-31-2009, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcole View Post

Thats the electronic and software process by which two HDMI devices send their capabilities to each other, acknowledge their respective existences, and decide on the best method available to push A/V data. A simple example is BD player to TV. The TV send its resolution capabilities to the BD player, and the BD player sends its list back in exchange, and they decide on what to use based on best available to both.

Its a process that should go smoothly in theory, but there have been multiple revisions to the HDMI spec, and many manufacturers (especially in the beginning of HDMI) were lax in their adherence to the exact spec.

In any case, if the handshake does not go properly, the channel is closed, and no data is transferred.

There are actually 2 parts of the handshake..
The 1st part as described above where the HDMI components exchange specs and configure themselves accordingly. But the 2nd part is for the crucial HDCP encrypted copy-protection system supplied by Intel, if this data exchange is flawed then the signal path is not completed and/or delayed significantly..

Just my $0.025...
post #17 of 254 Old 09-19-2009, 07:59 AM

I have an Onkyo 667 receiver. The hdmi board has been replaced once by Onkyo. It is going out again. I have owned it 13 months. What a piece of junk. They make me pay shipping to them to have it fixed. About ready to through this piece of crap in the trash. Onkyo has terrible customer service, the worst I have ever had to deal with.
post #18 of 254 Old 09-23-2009, 06:49 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kxlexus View Post

I have an Onkyo 667 receiver. The hdmi board has been replaced once by Onkyo. It is going out again. I have owned it 13 months. What a piece of junk. They make me pay shipping to them to have it fixed. About ready to through this piece of crap in the trash. Onkyo has terrible customer service, the worst I have ever had to deal with.

This is not good....And here i am thinking about upgrading to the new RC180, with the network capability.I just picked up a XBR4 and when i do the connections I hope I dont have these issues waiting for me!
post #19 of 254 Old 10-13-2009, 07:35 PM

Took my Onkyo 667 to get serviced. The owner told me it would probably take two weeks. I pray that it doesn't turn out to a fiasco like mattcole.

SEGA! was seriously injured, but the soul still BURNS!

Fixed my ONKYO HTS-6100\HTR667:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 254 Old 10-19-2009, 05:18 PM

Got my Onkyo HTR667 receiver back today. Pretty quick turn around from Madison Engineering in East Rutherford, NJ. The owner is this quiet Japanese dude named Kaz, very nice guy. Man, was this place stocked with high end Onkyo and Integra equipment, I wanted to leave my tiny receiver and take home the TX-NR905...

So I dropped it off Tuesday the 13th, and was informed that it was ready for pick up on Friday the 16th. Pretty quick! So I picked it up today and was told that the HDMI card had to be replaced. The receipt says the following was changed:
"Part # 22242394R3
SII9134CTU
Q8401"

For a split second, I got super pissed when I noticed that the HDMI was not working. I turned it off, gave it 5 minutes, and tried again. Sure enough, it worked. I am still iffy about it though considering the brief scare. My warranty ends August 2010, so if anything, I'll just take it back.

post #21 of 254 Old 10-20-2009, 06:25 PM

So my Onkyo crapped out again after getting it back from the service center. I posted a video on youtube showcasing the HDMI switching issue..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnHxThGxasQ

When I first connected my AVR yesterday, the inputs did not work for the first 30 seconds. I feared that the problem was still present. I power cycled the unit and then it started to work no problem. Today, 10/20/09, I powered on the unit with the input CBL\\SAT selected and was able to watch a SD channel. I changed it to HBOHD, again the error, "No input selected". UGH!!! I turned on my PS3(input VCR\\DVR), Xbox 360(AUX), and ONKYO DVD player(DVD) and none of them worked! Swapped back to CBL\\SAT, and got sound from my Cablebox, but no picture. I am extremely disappointed in this AVR because I read great things about Onkyo. Mind you, every one at AVSForums agreed that their AVR's ran hot, but that was it. More and more, I am seeing that others are having the same issue. Onkyo better get its act together...

Update, after 30 minutes of leaving the receiver on CBL\\SAT, I finally got an HD picture to work with sound..

post #22 of 254 Old 10-21-2009, 09:53 AM

I was hoping Onkyo would have a reliable fix for this by now. Evidently they don't.
I have sent mine in a couple times and it is messed up again. I have been putting up with it by turning the receiver, tv, and cable box on first thing in the morning. After about 20 to 30 minutes I power everything off, then back on and it works. We just leave everything on until we go to bed at night so we don't have to mess with it. Pain in the ass junk. May send it back to the service center after football season. They will have it for six weeks and if history is any indicator , it will just break again. May just set it out for the trash man and buy another brand.
Strange how much love Onkyo gets on this forum and very few want to talk about the poor quality componets they produce.
post #23 of 254 Old 10-21-2009, 03:56 PM

So if I have a TX SR 606 that I got from a friend, and it will not pass any video through an hdmi connection I am probably looking at the same issue?
post #24 of 254 Old 10-21-2009, 05:47 PM

most likely

post #25 of 254 Old 10-21-2009, 06:12 PM

I knew I shoulda got another Denon
post #26 of 254 Old 10-22-2009, 10:32 AM

Aw crap! My Onkyo HT-R960 is doing the same thing. (9100 HTinBox receiver).

Worked like a charm for the last 10 months and then it wouldn't even see a signal from any device. I even switched out the HDMI cables. I hooked up the optical output for my PS3 to the receiver and it outputs sound. But the video is "no signal detected"...however, I can see the receiver display switching between the different detection settings.
post #27 of 254 Old 10-23-2009, 04:16 PM

I got my TX-SR606 about a year ago and loved it right up until a few months ago when the same problem starting happening to me. The handshake just wouldn't work; it was intermittent at first, then became more and more frequent. Eventually I couldn't get a signal on any HDMI input.

I dropped it off at my local Onkyo authorized repair facility a few weeks ago. I was told that they wouldn't even look at it for about four to six weeks... unless I was willing to pay $30, then they'd get to it in a day or two. Being the idiot that I am I fork over the cash thinking that a few days without surround sound (down $30) would be better than a month and a half without it at no cost.

A week went by and I called them for a status update and was told that the part request they sent to Onkyo was rejected and they were working on resubmitting it. Last week I got the same story (after they misplaced my paperwork for about a day), and this week was told that the cause was, in fact, my AVR's "HDMI board" and that they should have some news for me on Monday.

Hopefully I'll have it back soon, but I'm not counting on it. I'll keep everyone posted if anything worthy of a mention arises.
post #28 of 254 Old 10-24-2009, 08:27 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2K2 LS1 View Post

I knew I shoulda got another Denon

Or maybe not.
post #29 of 254 Old 11-06-2009, 10:53 AM

Arg. Mine is doing the exact same thing. My workaround is the same as an earlier poster where I leave the TV (Olevia 265TFHD) & receiver on for some amount of time. Then power off/on each. Usually this remedies the problem.

I never power off 2 of the 3 inputs
- TivoHD (always on)
- HTPC (the power options do turn the "monitor" off)
- xBox 360 via component/fiber (this *always* has issues syncing)

Except for the 360 once the HDMI connection syncs up between the receiver and TV everything works great. I can switch back and forth as I feel fit.

I do wish this device doesn't have a 2 year warranty as I'm in the last 6 months. Now I have the choice of
  • Pay to ship to repair center, wait 6-8 weeks for return, and then hope it's fixed. Con here is that I've taken all the speakers off the TV and have no way to get sound to my speakers until I have the receiver back.
  • Hope the TX-SR606 works until warranty is expired and then call the credit card that was used for the purchase that automatically doubles any manufacturer warranty. Benefit here is that I'll get a new receiver (or full refund). Con is that the current receiver may completely stop working.

The WAF (Wife Approval Factor) is not high right now....
post #30 of 254 Old 11-06-2009, 01:21 PM

Same problem with my onkyo 875 and htpc. No Signal when connected through the onkyo, but works great when the htpc is connected directly to the sony tv. This setup mostly worked for 3years, until yesterday (the front panel went out twice last year, and needed service).

No more onkyos for me, and I wont recommend it to friends anymore.

-------------------------------------------------------------
My windows 7 media center
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page