Help with seperating audio from HDMI - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-24-2009, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am buying a Dell G2410 1080p monitor to replace my aging HDTV. It only has DVI and VGA inputs, here is the problem, I have a Blu Ray Player, my PC, an Xbox 360 and a Samsung HDTV tuner, ALL use HDMI as the best interface. I can easily get an HDMI to DVI converter and I have a HDMI switchbox so I have video taken care of but what do I do for audio? I was just planning to buy 'Cheapo' two way computer speakers,(I am not looking for super Hi Fi) but HDMI seems to be an 'all in one solution' so where can I tap to get some basic stereo? I don't have a receiver that can handle HDMI? I have seen HDMI splitters that will take the HDMI and 'Split' HDMI and DVI(So I have the video taken care of) now all I have to do is figure the cheapest way to get the audio out of the remaining HDMI port? is there any CHEAP logitech or such speaker systems that take HDMI? or a better solution?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-24-2009, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

As far as I know, any device that will do what you're looking for, like http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=3939 will cost about as much as a cheap receiver.

You'd honestly be better off just buying a low-end HDMI receiver and a couple of small bookshelf speakers, rather than computer speakers and a kludge of splitter boxes. Look at older-model HDMI 1.1 receivers. You can get them pretty cheap, as everyone wants HDMI 1.3 now, but 1.1 will probably meet all of your needs. The Yamaha 661 and Onkyo 604 come to mind as possibles, especially if you're buying used.

Cheap receivers may not have enough HDMI inputs for all of your devices, but in that case you can still use your HDMI switch to feed one of the receiver inputs.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-24-2009, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

I have a REALLY good receiver right now, so buying a new one is out of the question. how about using a PC sound card with hdmi in out? Like the Asus Xonar HDAV 1.3 Deluxe Sound Card
post #4 of 7 Old 04-24-2009, 05:19 PM

kingofthenet what application are you using your PC for?
post #5 of 7 Old 04-24-2009, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

I need HDMI for the good quality video, and can care less about audio as long as its at least Dolby Digital stereo. the monitor is video only with no audio capability, I don't want to buy a new receiver, I primarily am going to use this monitor for my PC with some Xbox 360/TV/ Blu Ray on the side. I would imagine a PC sound card with HDMI In/Out would allow me to go from my HDMI Switch box in to the PC Card, the card would then multiplex/decode the audio onto the phono plug outputs(allowing me to hook up to cheap amplified speakers or even my regular amp) and the HDMI out would allow me to hook to the monitor for video(Passthru)? yes?
post #6 of 7 Old 04-24-2009, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

If you've got a "REALLY good receiver" you don't want to upgrade, the Gefen box I linked above is probably the simplest (and therefore the most reliable and easy to use) solution. It doesn't cost that much more than the Xonar card you're considering, either.

I haven't used this particular Gefen device, but I've been happy with their other products I've tried.
post #7 of 7 Old 04-24-2009, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboRay View Post

If you've got a "REALLY good receiver" you don't want to upgrade, the Gefen box I linked above is probably the simplest (and therefore the most reliable and easy to use) solution. It doesn't cost that much more than the Xonar card you're considering, either.

I haven't used this particular Gefen device, but I've been happy with their other products I've tried.

I hear what you are saying, I bought a Yamaha Rx-N600 a couple years ago and don't upgrade receivers in less than 5 years MIN. The thing with a PC sound card though is I have an easier justification and kill two birds(I have onboard sound on my pc right now) I was hoping the Auzen X-Fi Home Theater 7.1 would come out already but it appears to keep getting pushed back.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page