AVR Purchase criteria: Advice please - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 Old 04-27-2009, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
LabLuvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Georgia
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am ready to buy a new AVR. After reading many posts, the Onkyo 876 looks to be a great option. However, I had seen it selling for around 1K new and now it's evidently gone up several hundred dollars. Would the 806 be a good alternative given the difference in video processors? I will be using this with a Pioneer Elite Pro 111FD and also plan on buying a Blue Ray player as well. Would either of these units negate the need for the AVR's processor?What I want to know is should I pay the premium for the 876 "Reon" processor and whatever other upgrades the 876 offers? Please note that I am also very concerned with the audio performance of whatever unit I buy. I listen to 2 channel CDs a lot as well as vinyl. FWIW, my speakers are also a new addition for me: Revel Concertas F12, C12, B12, and M12 surrounds. I have also read that NAD has great sounding AVRs, but they seem to lag in the video department and perhaps in the "bells and whistles" department. BTW, I have never used anything like Audessy, but from what I've read this should be a very helpful addition and as such I want this or some equivalent technology if possible. Thanks for any help you can offer this "newbie" to HT.
LabLuvr is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 39 Old 04-27-2009, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
phantom52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: TX
Posts: 7,085
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by LabLuvr View Post

I am ready to buy a new AVR. After reading many posts, the Onkyo 876 looks to be a great option. However, I had seen it selling for around 1K new and now it's evidently gone up several hundred dollars. Would the 806 be a good alternative given the difference in video processors? I will be using this with a Pioneer Elite Pro 111FD and also plan on buying a Blue Ray player as well. Would either of these units negate the need for the AVR's processor?What I want to know is should I pay the premium for the 876 "Reon" processor and whatever other upgrades the 876 offers? Please note that I am also very concerned with the audio performance of whatever unit I buy. I listen to 2 channel CDs a lot as well as vinyl. FWIW, my speakers are also a new addition for me: Revel Concertas F12, C12, B12, and M12 surrounds. I have also read that NAD has great sounding AVRs, but they seem to lag in the video department and perhaps in the "bells and whistles" department. BTW, I have never used anything like Audessy, but from what I've read this should be a very helpful addition and as such I want this or some equivalent technology if possible. Thanks for any help you can offer this "newbie" to HT.

If the 876 is the one you want, get it. Don't go by the advertised price. Call whomever and get the real price. Everyone is showing MSRP and its not true by a longshot. You can problably get that very receiver for the price you saw
last time "before" the prices shot up. The prices did not go up, the advertising thats posted for them is required by Onkyo and others.
phantom52 is offline  
post #3 of 39 Old 04-27-2009, 12:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
batpig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 24,111
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 1072
with a top notch TV like a Pio 111FD, you should essentially IGNORE the video processing in receivers (as long as they don't make the video WORSE) and buy a receiver that has the features, inputs, and sound quality you need.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
batpig is online now  
post #4 of 39 Old 04-27-2009, 12:20 PM
Senior Member
 
bandphan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: FL
Posts: 399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
^+1 Unless the signal is unaltered id bypass the avr

“Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff.”
bandphan is offline  
post #5 of 39 Old 04-27-2009, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
LabLuvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Georgia
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the clarification regarding the advertised prices. I understand. However, I don't quite understand "bandphan's" reply. Either it is a typo or an acronym I don't know. would you please explain this a little more for me. Again, I'm a newbie to HT, but a fairly knowledgeable 2 channel guy. Thanks again!
LabLuvr is offline  
post #6 of 39 Old 04-27-2009, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
MLKstudios's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hollywood, CA
Posts: 1,986
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
With those Revels, wait for this to hit the shelves...

http://www.dolby.com/consumer/techno...an-kardon.html

... a perfect match.
MLKstudios is offline  
post #7 of 39 Old 04-27-2009, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
MLKstudios's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hollywood, CA
Posts: 1,986
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A second option (available now)...

http://www.sunfire.com/productdetail.asp?id=1
MLKstudios is offline  
post #8 of 39 Old 04-27-2009, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
phantom52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: TX
Posts: 7,085
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 83
With that display you certainly don't need an AVR with the "higher end video processor". Your display will do better than anything in an AVR. I told you to go for the 876 because it seemed to me thats what you wanted. With the speakers you have you thought about maybe going for separates or a less expensive AVR and additional amp? And NAD is catching up with their offerings out now or about to hit the market soon. What size room is all this going into? You can give the Pioneer Elites SC05/07 a look and read the dedicated thread here, seems to be many happy owners. Also will give you the possibility of adding external amps later if you feel you need or want them. You can also get an AVR with the connections you need and want and add the amp of your choice as long as it has pre-outs. There are some members here that are waiting for the Emotiva UMC-1 to arrive. Its a pre-pro that appears to offer a lot for a little money. With that you would also have to purchase an amp or amps. There are a lot of options for you to consider. I wouldn't rule out NAD. A member here(penngray) is doing a comparison between the Onkyo 885 pre-pro and a NAD piece of equipment, sorry don't remember model #. Good luck.
phantom52 is offline  
post #9 of 39 Old 04-27-2009, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
phantom52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: TX
Posts: 7,085
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Also thought of one that deserves a good look into. Yamaha RX-V7. Plenty of options and power, only thing is it uses YPAO instead Audessey. It also works well though. It got an excellent review from Audioholics, but they also sell Yamaha, maybe a little biased but don't know for sure.
phantom52 is offline  
post #10 of 39 Old 04-27-2009, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
LabLuvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Georgia
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well...as usual these decisions are more difficult than they would appear on the surface. It took quite some time before I ended up with the Pro-111FD! I have gotten the impression that for viewing SD content either from cable, satellite, or DVD you needed to "upscale" the image and that that is where the better video processors in your AVR earned their keep. Are you saying that my KURO can do this for me and probably better than the various processors in an AVR? How (if at all) does the video processing from either the display or the AVR affect the HD viewing from various sources?

Several friends have suggested the Pre-Pro option much like you would with "seperates" for 2 channel sound. Maybe that's the way to go. I used a British integrated amp for many years and loved it. It was the poor man's alternative to true seperates. I wouldn't have considered a receiver for my audio interests until I started down this HT path. I will say that I have gotten the impression that AVr's have come a long way in the sound department. I would like to keep the costs under control and the complexity as simple as possible, but I also would like to be able to utilize the full potential of my display and my speakers. The NAD line is familiar to me as far as their audio engineering goes. They have always been a good/great value.

The room I have is essentially 15 1/2' wide and 26' long. The KURO display and LFC speakers are on the long wall with our seating opposite. There is a door entry to our kitchen on this long wall and a 7 1/2' opening into our DRM as well. This family room also has a vaulted ceiling so there is a good deal of cubic feet to cover with sound. Hopefully, the Audessy or some such will help me with the set up for this room.
LabLuvr is offline  
post #11 of 39 Old 04-27-2009, 02:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
batpig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 24,111
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 1072
Quote:


Are you saying that my KURO can do this for me and probably better than the various processors in an AVR?

yes, that is exactly what we are saying.

your TV is fixed at 1080p -- the ONLY thing it can display is 1920x1080 pixels. Any source you feed it MUST be scaled to 1080p by the display.

you spent all that cash on the best plasma in existence, and it has fabulous video processing. use it! don't waste money paying for redundant features in the AVR.

Quote:


I have gotten the impression that for viewing SD content either from cable, satellite, or DVD you needed to "upscale" the image and that that is where the better video processors in your AVR earned their keep.

they "earn their keep" by selling units because they can splash "1080p upscaling!!!!" on the marketing literature. the confusing marketing creates people in your situation, who have been duped into thinking that their TV isn't doing this already, so you need an "upscaling" DVD player and an "upscaling" receiver etc.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
batpig is online now  
post #12 of 39 Old 04-27-2009, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
LabLuvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Georgia
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Whew! AVS Forums to the rescue once again. I almost got mislead into thinking that plasma displays were "out" too! So, from what I'm reading here I can put my money into audio capabilities and as you say let the KURO do the video as it was so well designed to do.
LabLuvr is offline  
post #13 of 39 Old 04-27-2009, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
MLKstudios's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hollywood, CA
Posts: 1,986
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You won't beat H/K for sound. If the two above are too $$$, they have a new lower priced unit (also available now)...

http://www.amazon.com/Harman-Kardon-.../dp/B001EZ4EQ6

Revel and H/K are both part of Harman Int'l.
MLKstudios is offline  
post #14 of 39 Old 04-27-2009, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
LabLuvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Georgia
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry for the delayed reply, dinner time arrived ! I have owned 2 HK products in the past. Both were landmarks in their day. The 1st was a Dolby B cassette recorder that Nakamichi made for them, the other was a turntable that I found out about through my subscription to The Absolute Sound. Of the 2, the turntable is still in service and would cost quite a bit of $$$ to replace in terms of performance. The point is that I have reason to trust the HK organization even with the changes in ownership. So, I'll definitely check out the HK sugestions! Thanks to everyone for your considerable help. I'll be signing off now, but I'll check for additional posts before I "pull the trigger".
LabLuvr is offline  
post #15 of 39 Old 04-27-2009, 06:53 PM
Senior Member
 
Gene DellaSala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 383
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:


It also works well though. It got an excellent review from Audioholics, but they also sell Yamaha, maybe a little biased but don't know for sure.

Yes Audioholics is so pro-biased for Yamaha which is why we write articles like these in hopes the Audioholics E-store sells more Yamaha products

http://www.audioholics.com/education...nology/trading

sorry I couldn't resist

Best Regards;

Gene DellaSala (GDS)
President, Audioholics.com
Gene DellaSala is offline  
post #16 of 39 Old 04-27-2009, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Jakeman02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 6,463
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene DellaSala View Post

Yes Audioholics is so pro-biased for Yamaha which is why we write articles like these in hopes the Audioholics E-store sells more Yamaha products

http://www.audioholics.com/education...nology/trading

sorry I couldn't resist

I for one appreciate the time and effort you and others put in to bringing us this information and insights.

Some people just like to pull rabbits out of hats.
Jakeman02 is offline  
post #17 of 39 Old 04-27-2009, 09:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
MichaelJHuman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 18,773
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene DellaSala View Post

Yes Audioholics is so pro-biased for Yamaha which is why we write articles like these in hopes the Audioholics E-store sells more Yamaha products

http://www.audioholics.com/education...nology/trading

sorry I couldn't resist

Look, Gene admits it! lol



I heard the 665, and it sounded pretty good. I heard the 565, and it was seriously lacking in power as I have mentioned about five times. It's possible there was a setup problem at Ultimate electronics on the 565, but they claim the 665 and 565 were setup the same way.

"But this one goes up to 11"
MichaelJHuman is online now  
post #18 of 39 Old 04-28-2009, 03:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
phantom52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: TX
Posts: 7,085
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene DellaSala View Post

Yes Audioholics is so pro-biased for Yamaha which is why we write articles like these in hopes the Audioholics E-store sells more Yamaha products

http://www.audioholics.com/education...nology/trading

sorry I couldn't resist

I have written this in several post. I visit your site daily and rely on it for many articles written. It and Secrets are my favorite sites besides this one. However, has a test on a Yamaha product from your site ever been negative? I may be mistaken but the ones I've read are all raves with a "gotta have it" at the top. This is not a knock on Yamaha because it is my favorite AVR. Its what I always look into first. But I also look at other equipment also, and your sites review on the Pioneer SC model cast a shadow over it that no other reviewers did. And as far as the using this as a ploy to sell more Yamaha products why would anyone buy Yamaha products from your E-store when they can get the same models you sell for less money from virtually anywhere else. Sorry I couldn't resist either. Let's see what your test results will actually show for the X65 series out now from Yamaha. Also what was THE modification to the article that you linked too. Since it was modified last night.
phantom52 is offline  
post #19 of 39 Old 04-28-2009, 04:50 AM
Advanced Member
 
Southern Spy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 823
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Talk about confusing a self described "newbie". On the 1 hand, someone correctly posts "you spent all that cash on the best plasma in existence, and it has fabulous video processing." Then others jump in with AVR suggestions that have a big chunk of $$ invested in video circuitry.

There is a reason that most reviewers of the Concertas hook them up to higher end electronics such as Classe. If this were the '70s, reviewers would classify these speakers as "Rock" speakers. Compared to competing speakers from companies such as Paradigm and PSB, the Concertas are not as strong in the upper mid bass and lower treble ranges and have a smaller soundstage.

That's why they sound better with better electronics. I would be auditioning electronics with more of the $$ spent on the audio - NAD, Rotel, Cambridge Audio, Sunfire and Parasound for example.
Southern Spy is offline  
post #20 of 39 Old 04-28-2009, 05:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
penngray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 26,779
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:


Then others jump in with AVR suggestions that have a big chunk of $$ invested in video circuitry.

Generally, people are going to post their favorite AVRs regardless of the OP specific needs.

In this case though top end AVRs come with pretty good video processing by default so I would all the discussion about video processing is a moot point since the goal is still to buy the best AVR period.

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
penngray is offline  
post #21 of 39 Old 04-28-2009, 05:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
penngray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 26,779
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Spy View Post

Talk about confusing a self described "newbie". On the 1 hand, someone correctly posts "you spent all that cash on the best plasma in existence, and it has fabulous video processing." Then others jump in with AVR suggestions that have a big chunk of $$ invested in video circuitry.

There is a reason that most reviewers of the Concertas hook them up to higher end electronics such as Classe. If this were the '70s, reviewers would classify these speakers as "Rock" speakers. Compared to competing speakers from companies such as Paradigm and PSB, the Concertas are not as strong in the upper mid bass and lower treble ranges and have a smaller soundstage.

That's why they sound better with better electronics. I would be auditioning electronics with more of the $$ spent on the audio - NAD, Rotel, Cambridge Audio, Sunfire and Parasound for example.

You are describing speakers that are built improperly if you ask me

Many, many, many blind tests do not show the above statement is not true (Sound better with different electronics). Also, AVRs, pre/pros should never be purchased with specific speakers in mind. They process sound and should be purchased based on how well they process sound and the features they offer.

Amps, drive speakers and if speakers are difficult to drive then people need to buy amps that are rated to drive harder speakers. Even that does not cost and arm in a leg. I have measured sub $1K amps vs $4K amps so I know the truth that $$$ does not equate to performance in the Audio world.

I do currently own NAD and Sunfire products and people tend to let name brand, reputation control their impressions.

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
penngray is offline  
post #22 of 39 Old 04-28-2009, 08:16 AM
Senior Member
 
Gene DellaSala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 383
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:


I have written this in several post. I visit your site daily and rely on it for many articles written. It and Secrets are my favorite sites besides this one. However, has a test on a Yamaha product from your site ever been negative? I may be mistaken but the ones I've read are all raves with a "gotta have it" at the top. This is not a knock on Yamaha because it is my favorite AVR. Its what I always look into first. But I also look at other equipment also, and your sites review on the Pioneer SC model cast a shadow over it that no other reviewers did. And as far as the using this as a ploy to sell more Yamaha products why would anyone buy Yamaha products from your E-store when they can get the same models you sell for less money from virtually anywhere else. Sorry I couldn't resist either. Let's see what your test results will actually show for the X65 series out now from Yamaha. Also what was THE modification to the article that you linked too. Since it was modified last night.



I went back into the article last night and added subliminal messages in hopes you and others would buy Yamaha products from the Audioholics E-store. You're obviously too perceptive to fall for my ploys but according to the Audioholics Store Admins, Yamaha sales are up on the store as of last night and things couldn't have worked out better!

As for negative criticisms. If you cannot pick out the numerous negative criticisms in my RX-Z7 review as well as the review links below to some of the products the Audioholics E-store either sells or is an advertiser of our site, then I fear there is no amount of convincing on my part to help dissuade you from your beliefs about my site.

Infinity Review:
http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/s...y-classia-c336

Axiom Review:
http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/a...-audio-a1400-8

Ironically the Pioneer SC-07 received higher marks than the 2 reviews listed above for our advertisers and e-store partners, yet your complaining that our reviews aren't negative enough

To that end you may be better served reading other A/V publications that aren't as commercially successful as Audioholics whom review Yamaha equipment. Though, it is doubtful they will note the operational issues I found and the resolutions I worked with Yamaha for the benefit of those who purchased this receiver with operational bugs.

Best Regards;

Gene DellaSala (GDS)
President, Audioholics.com
Gene DellaSala is offline  
post #23 of 39 Old 04-28-2009, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
fyzziks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Altadena, CA
Posts: 1,512
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If you are interested in Audyssey, none of the AVRs suggested so far have it. Not the HK, not the Pioneers, not the Yamahas, and not the Sunfire. The Onkyo you started with and the big NAD have MultEQ XT, and of course so does almost the entire Denon line. I would gently suggest that the room correction will probably make a much bigger difference than the sound quality differences between well-designed AVRs. As previously suggested, your display has excellent video processing, so the video capability of the AVR is less critical to you than for someone with a less capable display.
fyzziks is offline  
post #24 of 39 Old 04-28-2009, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
phantom52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: TX
Posts: 7,085
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene DellaSala View Post

I went back into the article last night and added subliminal messages in hopes you and others would buy Yamaha products from the Audioholics E-store. You’re obviously too perceptive to fall for my ploys but according to the Audioholics Store Admins, Yamaha sales are up on the store as of last night and things couldn’t have worked out better!

As for negative criticisms. If you cannot pick out the numerous negative criticisms in my RX-Z7 review as well as the review links below to some of the products the Audioholics E-store either sells or is an advertiser of our site, then I fear there is no amount of convincing on my part to help dissuade you from your beliefs about my site.

Infinity Review:
http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/s...y-classia-c336

Axiom Review:
http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/a...-audio-a1400-8

Ironically the Pioneer SC-07 received higher marks than the 2 reviews listed above for our advertisers and e-store partners, yet your complaining that our reviews aren't negative enough

To that end you may be better served reading other A/V publications that aren’t as commercially successful as Audioholics whom review Yamaha equipment. Though, it is doubtful they will note the operational issues I found and the resolutions I worked with Yamaha for the benefit of those who purchased this receiver with operational bugs.

I am not complaining at all about your "negativity". And as far as your success I hope it continues and even goes through the roof. I stated that your site IS one of the few that I do trust. What's negative about that? If you were offended about my feelings that your'e site is biased toward Yamaha it is also a feeling that has been expressed by others here and elsewhere. That's just the way I feel and everyone has a right to their opinions. There's no doubt in my mind that your site and Secrets give the best test data available today. Its the most comprehensive and factual to be read on the net. As for buying from your site for any of your products that are advertised, yes I would buy if and when I can't find a better price. In the cases where I bought I did indeed find better prices. This is not a knockdown of your site or testing, because I know you've forgotten more than I'll know about either. My quote was concerning a bias toward Yamaha perceived or otherwise. And I will continue to use the data you and your staff provide. I'm not a hardass, just a hardhead. Thank you for the responses and continued success to you and your site. Now back to what the OP actually was questioning. If you can offer suggestions that would be helpful to him and others here as it would be most appreciated.
phantom52 is offline  
post #25 of 39 Old 04-28-2009, 09:20 AM
Senior Member
 
Gene DellaSala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 383
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:


I am not complaining at all about your "negativity". And as far as your success I hope it continues and even goes through the roof. I stated that your site IS one of the few that I do trust. What's negative about that? If you were offended about my feelings that your'e site is biased toward Yamaha it is also a feeling that has been expressed by others here and elsewhere. That's just the way I feel and everyone has a right to their opinions. There's no doubt in my mind that your site and Secrets give the best test data available today. Its the most comprehensive and factual to be read on the net. As for buying from your site for any of your products that are advertised, yes I would buy if and when I can't find a better price. In the cases where I bought I did indeed find better prices. This is not a knockdown of your site or testing, because I know you've forgotten more than I'll know about either. My quote was concerning a bias toward Yamaha perceived or otherwise. And I will continue to use the data you and your staff provide. I'm not a hardass, just a hardhead. Thank you for the responses and continued success to you and your site. Now back to what the OP actually was questioning. If you can offer suggestions that would be helpful to him and others here as it would be most appreciated.

Thanks. Based on the specs of the Onkyo 876, I'd probably buy it over any of its competiton, including Yamaha, in its price class. I am biased more towards amp and audio performance over features which the Onkyo seems to have in droves. It also has Audyssey which I've found far more useful than Yamaha YPAO. We need to get a sample in for review but I need to finish a few other reviews before I can take on a large project such as a top end A/V receiver.

Best Regards;

Gene DellaSala (GDS)
President, Audioholics.com
Gene DellaSala is offline  
post #26 of 39 Old 04-28-2009, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
LabLuvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Georgia
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well now I guess I've opened up a can of worms for sure! I didn't intend to bring the troops to the line. I simply hoped to get some experienced advice to help me make a decision. I guess in fact that's what has happpened, I just hope I haven't started a feud somewhere. The Concertas that I have were an attempt to appease my wife. She hated my Magnapan SMG speakers! These were the original SMG version not the "a" or "b" or "c" models. My speakers are closer to the newer MG 12 in size. BTW, these are not "rock" speakers. They excel in soundstage and midrange like no other speaker in (or anywhere near) their price range. I bought the Concertas without the opportunity of an audition! I do however still have another couple of weeks to decide if I'll keep them. Basically, I ordered them after extensive reading of the various reviews on them. I wanted a full range floor standing speaker and after the reviews I'd read they seemed to be one of the best values out there. I will admit that I certainly considered the PSB series (45,55,65) and even the "Imagine" series. I also cosidered the Monitor Audio Silvers as well as several of the Paradigms. The biggest problem I have is that there is no local or even nearby location that I can audition these speakers. I ultimately got the Concertas from a classifed ad here on the AVS site! They were dealer demos and I thought that the price was reasonable considering. The one thing that I've found missing so far is the soundstage that I had with my Maggies. Otherwise the fact that this is a true 3 way design is noticible. They are very articulate and have a very nice low end too. So, back to an amplifier. I'll certainly look further at the NAD lineup, butI am also concerned about the other offerings out there. So please feel free to weigh in. Again I'd like to stay in the $1-2K ranfge.
LabLuvr is offline  
post #27 of 39 Old 04-28-2009, 06:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
penngray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 26,779
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
I just hope I haven't started a feud somewhere.

Ha! its just a daily event.

But seldom do we have someone like Gene posting, its kind of cool to read

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
penngray is offline  
post #28 of 39 Old 04-28-2009, 06:54 PM
Member
 
heyheyhey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
for some reason $1000 seems to a good price point for picking up value for money components
heyheyhey is offline  
post #29 of 39 Old 04-29-2009, 03:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
phantom52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: TX
Posts: 7,085
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray View Post

Ha! its just a daily event.

But seldom do we have someone like Gene posting, its kind of cool to read

Thank you penngray, it seems I'm able to bring out the big guns sometimes with some of my comments and yes it is interesting to read what they have to say. I just wish more of them would come around more. They have a lot to offer here and I still have a lot to learn. As for the OP please forgive me for taking your thread off topic for a few comments.
phantom52 is offline  
post #30 of 39 Old 04-29-2009, 05:38 AM
Advanced Member
 
Filthy McNasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


I bought the Concertas without the opportunity of an audition! I do however still have another couple of weeks to decide if I'll keep them.

I'd send them back along with the wife and bring back the maggies
Filthy McNasty is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off