Amplifier Repair on eBay "computerwala" - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 04-28-2009, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone have any experience with these guys on eBay. There user name is computerwala. They do repairs on High end amplifiers and pre-amplifiers like Levinson, Krell, McIntosh etc. My Proceed HPA3 is broken and i want to send it in to them for repairs. They also do upgrades and tuneups.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:X:RTQ:US:1123

Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-28-2009, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Why not send your amp back to Levinson for the repair? Usually the manufacturer is the best source for repairs on high end or exotic equipment.

"The truth is out there!"
post #3 of 8 Old 04-28-2009, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Levinson repair would be very expensive and it would not be worth to have them fixed.
post #4 of 8 Old 04-28-2009, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmcbean View Post

Levinson repair would be very expensive and it would not be worth to have them fixed.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought I read where Harmon has a bench fee of $500-$600? This guy charges $500. However, computerwala probably does a lot more then Harmon would?

The Audiophile upgrade includes:

Quote:

1. Complete Capacitor replacement in Power, Pre-Amplifier and Signal Path sections with tested high-quality Audio Grade replacements up to 15,000uF 100V (Aerovox, Cornell Dubilier, Sprague, Nichicon, ELNA, Rubycon Capacitors)

2. Speaker RELAY replacement with better quality SILVER-PLATED contact relays of higher current rating

3. Bridge Diode replacement with low distortion Silicon Bridge Diodes in Power and main Amplifier sections if current diodes performs below par (are noisy) under oscilloscope

4. Op-Amp replacement with faster Audio-Certified Op-Amps that have a significantly lower distortion

5. Strategic Zener Diode replacement with higher quality and wattage equivalents

6. Replacement of input signal resistors and Power Resistors with with High Quality and High Precision Vishay / Dale Metal film resistors if current sets do not match

7. Bias Adjustments needed to ensure that your Amplifier runs at it's optimal best

8. Sound quality testing using an Oscilloscope and Signal generator

9. Fuse bypass (optional) to enhance Bass and sound clarity. We recommend using a good quality Surge protector if needed

10. Solid Core Silver Plated cable replacement / complement for Audio outputs

11. General cleaning of the amplifier inside with soft brushing as needed, including RCA and Speaker Sockets cleaning with Professional Cleaning solutions

We will use German Silver Solder used for all Solder work done.

Another manufacturer amp repair question came up last week and I recall months ago there was a thread on AVS where some people shared places where you could send amps out for repair. Darned if I could find it as there were quite a few repair shops in that list.

This computerwala has 212 postives feedbacks with zero neutrals or negatives. It's probably worth a shot unless someone else has a different perspective.

"Man plans, God laughs"
post #5 of 8 Old 04-28-2009, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mozvz, that is what i am thinking and it seems like I would get back a better than new Amplifier. Harmon's bench fee is $500 - $600 just to look at it which does not include any upgrades.

Just wanting to see if anyone has knows this outfit. They do appear to be pretty solid with strong feedback.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-28-2009, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmcbean View Post

Mozvz, that is what i am thinking and it seems like I would get back a better than new Amplifier. Harmon's bench fee is $500 - $600 just to look at it which does not include any upgrades.

Just wanting to see if anyone has knows this outfit. They do appear to be pretty solid with strong feedback.

I am not a guts and blood kinda guy so I am curious if Harmon parts are any different then what this shop would use to recondition and replace the internals where the output would be superior? Reading the ad, this shop is almost like a mod to the original amp? Could be interesting.

"Man plans, God laughs"
post #7 of 8 Old 04-28-2009, 11:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Some of this stuff seems legit, other stuff I question.

Why is he replacing op amps, unless they are bad?
Why silver plated output wire?
They DON"T replace power transistors? What if that's your problem?
They use vague language like 'opening up your sound'

You sound like you need a repair, and they sound like a mod shop. Before doing any business with them, consider what they are offering vs. what you need - repair.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #8 of 8 Old 04-29-2009, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter

My proceed HPA 3 has 1 channel that is bad. They said it could cost anywhere between $150 - $500 to repair depending on parts needed.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page