Need quick opinion on heating - Image included - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 04-30-2009, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Need some quick advice on heating - or cooling, rather.

Just received my Marantz SR5003, stripped everything out of my HT setup, and am setting it back up now. Here's a quick pic of my setup thus far:

There are some specs. There is 4" of clearance from top of AVR to roof of base unit. 1.5" from left of AVR to center speaker. It's a pretty tight squeeze, but I wanted plenty of room for the unit to vent on top, the right, and rear.

My XBOX360 is in the far left lower, with 2" of clearance on top, and little to none on left, plenty rear and right.

A PS3 is enroute and will be in the middle lower, unless it's too tight. I realyl don't want it out of my entire HT unit, but if it needs to be, so be it.

Total of 5" of clearance for anything going in the lower section. And yes, I can move the glass portion up or down approx. 1.5" a section at a time.

Thanks for any input - on the short notice, but this should be an easy fix (if any is even needed).

Marantz SR5003 - Paradigm CC190 with Atom v6 L/R (looking for surrounds)
Mitsubishi WD-57732 DLP (looking to be replaced soon)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-30-2009, 10:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAmericanStig View Post

Need some quick advice on heating - or cooling, rather.

Just received my Marantz SR5003, stripped everything out of my HT setup, and am setting it back up now. Here's a quick pic of my setup thus far:

There are some specs. There is 4" of clearance from top of AVR to roof of base unit. 1.5" from left of AVR to center speaker. It's a pretty tight squeeze, but I wanted plenty of room for the unit to vent on top, the right, and rear.

My XBOX360 is in the far left lower, with 2" of clearance on top, and little to none on left, plenty rear and right.

A PS3 is enroute and will be in the middle lower, unless it's too tight. I realyl don't want it out of my entire HT unit, but if it needs to be, so be it.

Total of 5" of clearance for anything going in the lower section. And yes, I can move the glass portion up or down approx. 1.5" a section at a time.

Thanks for any input - on the short notice, but this should be an easy fix (if any is even needed).

imo, i would try to flip the cable box and the avr... that way the avr bakes the cable box, and not the other way around... move shelf up to give the avr as much room to breathe as possible... who cares if you cook the cable box, it belongs to the cable company, not you...

ymmv...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #3 of 10 Old 04-30-2009, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Ya, I don't care about the cable box, but the reason the center and avr were on top were for convenience and so the center is as high up as possible - (can't go on top of tv unless I duct tape it to it)!

If the XBOX or PS3 generate less heat than the cable box, perhaps I'll set them under the AVR.

post #4 of 10 Old 04-30-2009, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Problably a good idea on the switch recommended. The cable box gets just as hot as that receiver. I know I have a Dish 612 and that damn thing get very hot.
post #5 of 10 Old 04-30-2009, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 56
I might move hot equipment up top, but you should be fine with your gear as it is now, since it looks like your rack has an open back (other than the middle). The PS3 vents a good bit of heat out the right back and side, but you should be OK. My rack is closed on the sides and back, but I do have a fan behind my PS3 to pull heat out the back of the rack.

Other than the fan behind the PS3 I don't have any other fans and I run three amps, a receiver and a lot of other gear with no problems. My amps and other gear gets warm but never hot.
LL

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"

post #6 of 10 Old 04-30-2009, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 View Post

Problably a good idea on the switch recommended. The cable box gets just as hot as that receiver. I know I have a Dish 612 and that damn thing get very hot.

The stand isn't large enough to fit the AVR below the glass and the center channel above, both center and avr have to be on the same level - top or bottom.

post #7 of 10 Old 04-30-2009, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

You got plenty of room above. I might even raise the glass 1.5" to lift the center speaker. There will be less draft above, but also less heat from below.

All AVR's have circuit protection, so it will turn off before damage. If you find it shutting down, then you'll have to figure out a new setup (or get a new stand).
post #8 of 10 Old 04-30-2009, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Also, add a lift to front of the center so it aims at your face.
post #9 of 10 Old 04-30-2009, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 56
Good catch MLK. While it won't improve the heat situation, raising the front of the center channel will improve dialog and other sounds.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"

post #10 of 10 Old 04-30-2009, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the help!

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page