How much to add a new circuit? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 05-01-2009, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How much would it cost (general ballpark) to run a new circuit from the breaker box in the basement to the first floor?

It's effecting my home theater experience

Too many devices on this one circuit right now, including the bathroom (blow dryer, exhaust fan) and the air conditioner, the plasma tv... the circuit gets tripped and i don't want to worry about what is on when. especially in the summer when the AC is going to be needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 05-01-2009, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 60
In my previous house I had an electrician come out and install a new 20 amp circuit for my Rotel RMB-1095 amp. The circuit and running the wire cost me about $90.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"

post #3 of 20 Old 05-01-2009, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post

In my previous house I had an electrician come out and install a new 20 amp circuit for my Rotel RMB-1095 amp. The circuit and running the wire cost me about $90.

That's about right. My friend had a dedicated circuit pulled for $100. Pretty cheap. If you are already tripping breakers I wouldn't wait.
post #4 of 20 Old 05-01-2009, 01:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Wow, someone who has an actual problem with circuits tripping. Usually people just come in and start asking questions about adding circuits and power conditioning and uninteruptable supplies and all that, and don't have actual problems

My hat is off to you for not trying to solve problems you don't have

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #5 of 20 Old 05-01-2009, 01:38 PM

wow, those prices sound incredible. electricians here in nyc have quoted me $500 - $1000 for running a new circuit.

one person i called tried to fleece me, maybe thought he'd catch somebody stupid and quoted me $2,500.

these are all licensed electricians by the way. granted the work required a little bit out of the ordinary work but still.

anyone recommend an electrician in nyc that isn't going to try to take me to the cleaners?
post #6 of 20 Old 05-01-2009, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Now wait one minute, you didn't tell us you were in NYC!!

Now I know this guy, Guido, he can run your wire and get you a
good deal on a new plasma tv. He assures me the blood stains will
come off... !
post #7 of 20 Old 05-01-2009, 01:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Yet another good reason to not live in NYC

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #8 of 20 Old 05-01-2009, 01:50 PM

not sure where the OP is but I'm in NYC and recently realized I need to add a new circuit. add the fact that Con Ed, our electric company just raised rates (again) by 6%. electricity and electricians are pretty expensive out here.

seriously, anyone know an electrician in nyc they can vouch for
post #9 of 20 Old 05-01-2009, 08:58 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Learn how, then do it yourself........I am NOT an electrician, but with a little research and I wired my whole house from the box out. Lived here 20 years and not one problem. 90% of the work is just grunt work pulling the wires.
post #10 of 20 Old 05-02-2009, 12:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedO View Post

Learn how, then do it yourself........I am NOT an electrician, but with a little research and I wired my whole house from the box out. Lived here 20 years and not one problem. 90% of the work is just grunt work pulling the wires.

Now Ted, I'm sure you've come to realize that there are people in this world who DO NOT need to be running electrical wires. Blindly recommending this to someone you don't know is dangerous (although evolution has a way of working things out for the rest of us..).

I make no assumptions about the OP, he may or may not be perfectly capable of doing this work. However, if you don't get a permit and city inspection, you could be in big trouble with your insurance company, should you ever need them.
post #11 of 20 Old 05-02-2009, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Electrical work is not a hobby, have it done by a licensed professional.
post #12 of 20 Old 05-02-2009, 07:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post

Wow, what year was that. It costs $60 just to have a master electrician drive to your house now a days. I work with a master electrician and he will charges $150 an outlet, let alone a new dedicated circuit.
post #13 of 20 Old 05-02-2009, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by kciaccio View Post

Wow, what year was that. It costs $60 just to have a master electrician drive to your house now a days. I work with a master electrician and he will charges $150 an outlet, let alone a new dedicated circuit.

It was in 2001. I just picked up the phone book and called a local company.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"

post #14 of 20 Old 05-02-2009, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
That's why I started with LEARN HOW. Once you know the correct and safe way of doing it, it's not that big of a deal.
post #15 of 20 Old 05-03-2009, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwmtv View Post

How much would it cost (general ballpark) to run a new circuit from the breaker box in the basement to the first floor?

It's effecting my home theater experience

Too many devices on this one circuit right now, including the bathroom (blow dryer, exhaust fan) and the air conditioner, the plasma tv... the circuit gets tripped and i don't want to worry about what is on when. especially in the summer when the AC is going to be needed.

As mentioned, prices go along with the terrain. But more importantly, your circle of friends. Certainly you or someone close to you knows an electrician.

Espo77
post #16 of 20 Old 05-03-2009, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

That's why I started with LEARN HOW. Once you know the correct and safe way of doing it, it's not that big of a deal.

TedO is correct.
Some things are not complicated at all. Installing a dedicated circuit is not that difficult in most cases. You can get a book at home depot to walk you through it to make sure you are doing it right. It you are mechanically inclined I would give it a try. If you have never fixed your own car or worked with electronics then I would hire the electrician.
post #17 of 20 Old 05-04-2009, 01:22 PM

FYI, ff you still have warranty left on your house, it would be void if you did it yourself or if the work was done by an unlicensed electrician.
post #18 of 20 Old 05-04-2009, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kciaccio View Post

TedO is correct.
Some things are not complicated at all. Installing a dedicated circuit is not that difficult in most cases. You can get a book at home depot to walk you through it to make sure you are doing it right. It you are mechanically inclined I would give it a try. If you have never fixed your own car or worked with electronics then I would hire the electrician.

It's not the complication as much as it is the liability. If the OP lives in NYC, I'm assuming that he lives in an apartment. Whether its a rental or not, most apt buildings have rules and requirements that work like this needs to be done by licensed electricians. It's one thing to burn down your own house, it's another thing to burn down a building that other people (other than your family) live in.

Electrical work in NYC is extremely expensive to get done and a real PITA. When I upgraded my house, my building's co-op required me to get an electrical engineer to review my complete renovation including draws of all of my expected equipment and appliances. Then, with that in hand, I had to get Con-Ed to send me a determination letter that indicated that the building had enough power from the street to handle the new power requirements. As you can imagine, this whole process wasn't cheap at all. The EE alone cost me $550 an hour.

With that said, I have some electricians that I can vouch for in NYC if the OP (sorry not the OP, but the NYC person) is still interested. I can't vouch for cheap though, I can only vouch for skill and service (and he speaks English, which isn't always the easiest to find). PM me if interested.
post #19 of 20 Old 05-04-2009, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 21
As someone who used to live in NY, I'm glad I got out.

NY prices are ridiculous.

For a new 20 amp run, materials will set you back at most about $40 if the run is long, much less if short.

In the city, you're looking at around $450 and up from most electricians....and that would be prices from 2-3 years ago.

John
post #20 of 20 Old 05-04-2009, 05:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by lessblue View Post

wow, those prices sound incredible. electricians here in nyc have quoted me $500 - $1000 for running a new circuit.

one person i called tried to fleece me, maybe thought he'd catch somebody stupid and quoted me $2,500.

these are all licensed electricians by the way. granted the work required a little bit out of the ordinary work but still.

anyone recommend an electrician in nyc that isn't going to try to take me to the cleaners?

Well, I have done it in NYC and in CT. The two times I had a line drawn in CT, the cost was in the $100 range, although I provided the cable. In NYC, I was quoted over $2K for the new line for a new kitchen appliance and about $400 for a short line for the audio system. Of course, this is a reinforced concrete post-war apartment building with limited conduit space and no basement/attic access, of course. Considering the work involved, I am not so sure the NYC prices were inflated (much).

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page