upscale through dvd or denon avr? - AVS Forum
Receivers, Amps, and Processors > upscale through dvd or denon avr?
ericos's Avatar ericos 01:42 PM 05-06-2009
I'm looking for a cheapie dvd player to tied me over. I have the denon 2809ci which does nice upscaling. My question is... should I get a standard dvd player and run component and toslink into the denon and let the denon upscale it, or should I get an inexpensive upscaling dvd player with hdmi.

I like the simpler install of the single hdmi cable, but are any of these units with the hdmi outputs capable of sending a 480 signal over the hdmi cable so I can allow the denon to do the upscaling, or... if I use the hdmi out, am I forced to allow the inexpensive dvd player to do the upscaling?

Thanks!
Eric

MichaelJHuman's Avatar MichaelJHuman 01:49 PM 05-06-2009
There is one way to find out. Get a test disc like HQV.

The stickied AVR FAQ may help.
SkiSmuggs's Avatar SkiSmuggs 01:51 PM 05-06-2009
An HDMI DVD player will still have settings for output resolution. However, I don't believe HDMI sources are upscaled in the AVR, only analog, so you should verify. There are some fine upscaling DVD players in the $100 range. I'm not sure saving $40 over a $60 one is worth it. Avoid Sony for upscaling and check the DVD forums for recommendations.
ericos's Avatar ericos 02:17 PM 05-06-2009
you are right... the avr doesn't upscale through the hdmi inputs... good point.

Thanks for the advice.
samsurd2's Avatar samsurd2 03:12 PM 05-07-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post

An HDMI DVD player will still have settings for output resolution. However, I don't believe HDMI sources are upscaled in the AVR, only analog, so you should verify. There are some fine upscaling DVD players in the $100 range. I'm not sure saving $40 over a $60 one is worth it. Avoid Sony for upscaling and check the DVD forums for recommendations.

Not sure why you say this. I have a 2 year old Sony DVP-NC85H (5 disc carousel) that does the job very nicely. JMO
Up
Mobile  Desktop