Receiver with powered sub out? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 05-12-2009, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an HK AVR35 in the shop that i picked up with a blown center channel but im wondering now if i want to use it.

Ive been using an old Aiwa with just prologic but my brother moved recently and brought some junk over to store. One of the items was a 5 disk DVD Kawasaki receiver that had pro logic II on it and i wanted to try it.

I have my own speakers that i like alot so i didnt want to go with a Theatre in a box thing but i want a receiver similar to that with a power sub out.

The control of this little DVD player unit is great with the seperate front, rear, center and sub levels helps alot. My last receiver was so boomy the bass was just overwhelming at times.

Is there any decent receivers out there with front, rear, center and a sub powered out thats around $250-$300.? I just dont want to go with a powered sub if i didnt need to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsantos
How can you tell a point is a reflection point?
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxcooper
sit in normal spot
have friend slide mirror on wall
see speaker? bingo!-Max
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-12-2009, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

A sub either has it's own power or you need to attach a passive (non-powered) sub to the L and R speaker connections. There is no powered sub output.

You can get a new model HK refurb for that price.
post #3 of 13 Old 05-12-2009, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Maybe i didnt post my question clear?

I want to know what are some good receivers that have the sub output that is powered by the receiver amp like the front, rear and center channel. I have some nice sub speakers in their own cabnets but rather then get a power amp and run from the sub pre out ide rather have the power come from the receiver.

I know there is some out there because i have one but i want to pick my own DVD player not use the one that comes with the receiver as a unit.

I thought maybe if i asked on this forum some one might know of one off the top of their head or maybe have a receiver already with the outputs im wanting.

See image.
LL

Quote:
Quote:
sit in normal spot
see speaker? bingo!-Max
post #4 of 13 Old 05-12-2009, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLKstudios View Post

or you need to attach a passive (non-powered) sub to the L and R speaker connections.

Ive tried using the my sub on the left and right (i have 2) and you cant control the level of the sub and its really boomy.

I know i could get a powered sub but i havnt found one i like yet and they are all way over priced IMO.

It does have the control i want using a powered sub but right now im using 2 10"s one hidden in my closet and one im using as an end table so its perfect now i just dont have the right receiver that i want yet.

Quote:
Quote:
sit in normal spot
see speaker? bingo!-Max
post #5 of 13 Old 05-12-2009, 09:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 92
I have never heard of a receiver with a speaker level output for a passive subwoofer.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #6 of 13 Old 05-12-2009, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
BowerR64, we do understand your question, but the fact is that there are no nice receivers that are designed to power a sub available on the market today. Today's subs are all self-powered (or intended to be used with a separate, dedicated sub amp), so all the receivers have line-level (= not power-amplified, RCA connector) sub outputs.

Note that you can probably use the line-level sub output on a modern receiver and connect it to an input on one of your spare receivers to power your passive subs. For example, you could connect the line-level sub signal to the L input on the spare receiver and use the L speaker outputs of the spare receiver to power one sub. Or use a y-cable to feed the line-level sub signal to both the L and R inputs on the spare receiver, and run one sub off the L speakers outs, and the other sub off the R speaker outs.

-Max
post #7 of 13 Old 05-12-2009, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, you do have a receiver with its own powered sub connection. I've never seen that before. Usually, you connect the sub to the L&R speakers, it does the crossover and sends the higher frequencies to the L&R connected to it.

In higher end systems, you need a separate powered sub (with a level you control). Lower end subs, have the L&R speaker in and L&R speaker out, using speaker wire. Some of them do have a bass management control knob.
post #8 of 13 Old 05-12-2009, 09:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

You can of course connect a sub to the L/R speaker outputs as long as your don't drop the impedance too much. In other words the L/R speakers and the sub would need to be 8 ohms and your receiver would have to be ok with a 4 ohm load.

But the sub would have to have a low pass crossover built into it.

post #9 of 13 Old 05-12-2009, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

The inexpensive BIC subs have L/R in and L/R out. Needn't worry about impedance.
post #10 of 13 Old 05-12-2009, 10:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLKstudios View Post

The inexpensive BIC subs have L/R in and L/R out. Needn't worry about impedance.

Not if they are powered, no Which I believe is what you are implying?

I was talking about the OP's desire to not use powered subs.

post #11 of 13 Old 05-13-2009, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah see thats what i like about this little 5 disk receiver thing is that it has a built in cross over so when i hook the front and center channels they are cross over so that they dont get alot of bass and blow. It works perfect hooking my bose SE5 directly to it without going threw the sub cabnet first wich has the cross over in it.

The setup sounds great its just way under powered and doesnt have really good seperation. It sounds great for now but i think its only 15 wattsX5 wich ive had it cranked before and its just a tad low.

Ive looked into a seperate power amp to send from the "pre sub out" and then use that to power my subs i have hidden but i thought ide atleast check around here first and see if you guys have an idea before i went that route.

I just a want a small 50watt mono amp i can hook a mono 8 ohm set of subs to and ill be set. I prefer a small 1 rack space (thin) amp but i doubt i can find one.

Quote:
Quote:
sit in normal spot
see speaker? bingo!-Max
post #12 of 13 Old 12-11-2012, 06:20 AM

The simple answer is get a powered sub, the complicated one is get a rheostat an a so you can adjust the sub output, and a filter to block out the mid and highs, if you're using the regular speaker output.
post #13 of 13 Old 12-11-2012, 06:21 AM

oops, old thread...oh well, maybe someone will use this...lol:D
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page