Receiver goes into Protect mode - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 05-13-2009, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My Sony STR-DE485 receiver has been going into Protect mode more and more frequently lately. It all started several months ago when the right speaker began making a cracking/popping noise, and it occurred mostly just after the receiver is turned on. I recently put new pins on the speaker wires but the cracking noise still occurred. The noise also occurred when a different set of speakers were attached. The receiver now goes into Protect mode when I play music at high volume (but not all the time) and now it goes into Protect mode even when music is played at moderate volumes. When it does this there is a loud crack/pop from the speakers before it goes into Protect. The receiver recently went into Protect mode when something was dropped near it.

I am guessing the receiver is causing the cracking/popping sounds and something inside it (rather than the speaker cables or speakers) is responsible for it going into Protect mode.

Could something else besides the receiver be causing these problems?

If the receiver is the culprit, should I get it fixed or invest in a new one? I've had the receiver since either 2002 or 2003.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-13-2009, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy999 View Post

My Sony STR-DE485 receiver has been going into Protect mode more and more frequently lately. It all started several months ago when the right speaker began making a cracking/popping noise, and it occurred mostly just after the receiver is turned on. I recently put new pins on the speaker wires but the cracking noise still occurred. The noise also occurred when a different set of speakers were attached. The receiver now goes into Protect mode when I play music at high volume (but not all the time) and now it goes into Protect mode even when music is played at moderate volumes. When it does this there is a loud crack/pop from the speakers before it goes into Protect. The receiver recently went into Protect mode when something was dropped near it.

I am guessing the receiver is causing the cracking/popping sounds and something inside it (rather than the speaker cables or speakers) is responsible for it going into Protect mode.

Could something else besides the receiver be causing these problems?

If the receiver is the culprit, should I get it fixed or invest in a new one? I've had the receiver since either 2002 or 2003.

Thanks

Time to replace the receiver before it does cause damage to speakers.
post #3 of 10 Old 05-13-2009, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice.

What receiver would fit well with a set of Polk Monitor 40 speakers (125 W/channel, 8 ohms)? The speakers used to list for $300, so I want to get a receiver that is in the same price scale for receivers.

Thanks
post #4 of 10 Old 05-13-2009, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
any receiver will drive those speakers, just find one within your budget and that has the bells and whistles your looking for. I would look at something from Denon, Onkyo, Yamah, HK, etc. , I'm not a Sony fan, sorry. I would also carefully check all your wire connections, even "one" strand touching the other terminal, or bad speaker wires will set a receiver into protect mode.

My Website
post #5 of 10 Old 05-13-2009, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Also, if you just moved it into a stand, you could've blocked its ventilation. Amps need room to breathe. Glass front equipment racks, look good, but are bad for electronics.
post #6 of 10 Old 05-13-2009, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

The receiver was well-ventilated.

Any thoughts on Harman/Kardon AVR 154? It has gotten good reviews, but I am totally confused about its 30 W/channel. Is this receiver powerful enough, and can it handle 100+ watt speakers?
post #7 of 10 Old 05-13-2009, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
did you check the wiring, even one strand can set the receiver into protect mode? An efficient speaker only requires 1-2 watts to play at pretty loud levels with brief peaks "maybe" requiring 80-100 watts. HK rates their receivers very conservatively, so it would most likely be fine if that is what your interested in.

My Website
post #8 of 10 Old 05-13-2009, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

I have two HK's. Go to their eBay store and get a 254 or 354 refurb. No problem with the power. HK gives you a lot more than other amps with twice the rating.
post #9 of 10 Old 05-14-2009, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses. I reconnected all the cables/wires on the back of the receiver and moved my red, yellow, and white cables for my cable box from the Video 1 slot to the Video 2 slot. I also disconnected the AM antenna (I don't know why, but I didn't like the flimsy bare wire that was connected to the receiver). As far as I can tell, there isn't any cracking/popping, and, I do know that the receiver has not gone into PROTECT mode (even at high volumes).

Could I actually have fixed the problem? Could using the Video 1 slot incorrectly have caused the problem?

Thanks
post #10 of 10 Old 05-15-2009, 04:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy999 View Post

Thanks for the responses. I reconnected all the cables/wires on the back of the receiver and moved my red, yellow, and white cables for my cable box from the Video 1 slot to the Video 2 slot. I also disconnected the AM antenna (I don't know why, but I didn't like the flimsy bare wire that was connected to the receiver). As far as I can tell, there isn't any cracking/popping, and, I do know that the receiver has not gone into PROTECT mode (even at high volumes).

Could I actually have fixed the problem? Could using the Video 1 slot incorrectly have caused the problem?

Thanks

Yes it sounds like you fixed it. And its not unusual for a particular input to "just" quit working as it should. How do you know that you were using Video 1 incorrectly? Were some cables crossed? Have you gone back and tried it with the AM antenna disconnected? Try doing this and see if that input acts as it should and you have pin-pointed your actual problem. Good luck and glad you found the problem, although the economy does need the stimulus you could have provided buying a new AVR.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors