Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 5178 Old 06-22-2009, 11:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post

Hmmmm... I've got no problem turning the AVR on/off with the KURO link off.
Both on the regular remote and a Harmony remote.

But there seems to be a couple of different levels of AVR out there because I have had exactly the same experience as chillout. Or maybe there is even another setting that interacts with the Kurolink in some fashion. I am not sure but I know that the only solution for turning on the AVR with the remote (either the original or a harmony) was to have Kurolink on.

Harry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 5178 Old 06-22-2009, 12:17 PM

I picked up the replacement for my DOA remote this weekend. The replacement remote works perfectly. I have to say that I'm really impressed with this receiver. I've tried everything now except the USB for music and the results are fantastic.

I'd recommend this receiver to anyone that asks me.

I'm really enjoying playing Blu-Ray's the new codec's sound are really impressive. I feel like I'm at a theater.

I just wish the manual was a little better but thanks to everyone at AVS, I'm learning more and more everyday.
post #273 of 5178 Old 06-22-2009, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrys11 View Post

But there seems to be a couple of different levels of AVR out there because I have had exactly the same experience as chillout. Or maybe there is even another setting that interacts with the Kurolink in some fashion. I am not sure but I know that the only solution for turning on the AVR with the remote (either the original or a harmony) was to have Kurolink on.

Harry

Strange. What equipment do you have attached to it and how are you connected? Maybe there's a common thread among the people who are having issues.
post #274 of 5178 Old 06-22-2009, 04:11 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Strange. What equipment do you have attached to it and how are you connected? Maybe there's a common thread among the people who are having issues.

I have a Samsung LNxxA850 HDTV and a Comcast motorola DVR. Both connected with HDMI.

I've chosen to live with this issue so I can assign my HDMI inputs, something you cant do with KUROlink ON. Its not a big deal but something very silly non-the-less.
post #275 of 5178 Old 06-22-2009, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillout View Post

I have a Samsung LNxxA850 HDTV and a Comcast motorola DVR. Both connected with HDMI.

I've chosen to live with this issue so I can assign my HDMI inputs, something you cant do with KUROlink ON. Its not a big deal but something very silly non-the-less.

Samsung has its own version of KURO link - Anynet+ ; both are implementations of CEC for multi component control. In the Samsung, can you try shutting this off? It may be interfering somehow.
post #276 of 5178 Old 06-22-2009, 07:51 PM

I purchased the 1019 the other night and hooked it up today. All, I can say is "wow". Everything sounds wonderful including the lossless hd codecs and Directv. The 1019 replaces a Yamaha 463 and at first I was a little skeptical of how much of a difference the sound would be. It's truly better. Much warmer sounding. Even my Harmony One remote seems to work better with the 1019 then the Yamaha. Not to mention, the 1019 looks fantastic too. Very Sharp!

One quick question, when receiving PCM from the PS3, the 1019 does and should say "PCM". Is there anyway to change the display to at least maybe showing the input rather then the code?
post #277 of 5178 Old 06-23-2009, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayinla View Post

One quick question, when receiving PCM from the PS3, the 1019 does and should say "PCM". Is there anyway to change the display to at least maybe showing the input rather then the code?

Sadly, no.
post #278 of 5178 Old 06-23-2009, 11:43 AM

I can wait to go home and play with the receiver!! Wally world was the 1019 for $398. I went to BB and ask for a price match, I had some BB certificates as a result of some previous purchases and after a few minutes the manager made the price match, $398!!!

I'm sure I will have some questions later on, but I taught it was a good idea to share my experience just in case someone is still waiting to make the decision!!!
post #279 of 5178 Old 06-23-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:

I have a Panasonic Plasma G10 series TV (HDMI), Dish 612 DVR (HDMI),Panasonic Blu-Ray BD 35 (HDMI) and a Wii (component).

Hard to believe it is what is connected to the receiver since the issue is power on not hand shaking, etc. after power is on.

Harry
post #280 of 5178 Old 06-23-2009, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrys11 View Post

I have a Panasonic Plasma G10 series TV (HDMI), Dish 612 DVR (HDMI),Panasonic Blu-Ray BD 35 (HDMI) and a Wii (component).

Hard to believe it is what is connected to the receiver since the issue is power on not hand shaking, etc. after power is on.

Harry

True, but the CEC is meant to turn power on / off on other components as one component is turned on or off. The signals are carried by the HDMI cables, and if turned on, may be affecting those on/off functions on other systems. HDMI CEC is meant to have one controller for all of the connected components in an HT system.

The functions may be called by different names by the manufacturers (KURO link, Anynet+...) but they are the same internal function - HDMI CEC. In your TV's case, the name is Viera link, and it provides the same type of control.

Again - this is just troubleshooting advice, it may be that if the Viera link is enabled on your TV, it is interfering with your control of the receiver unless the Viera link is off.
post #281 of 5178 Old 06-23-2009, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgartorres View Post

I can wait to go home and play with the receiver!! Wally world was the 1019 for $398. I went to BB and ask for a price match, I had some BB certificates as a result of some previous purchases and after a few minutes the manager made the price match, $398!!!

I'm sure I will have some questions later on, but I taught it was a good idea to share my experience just in case someone is still waiting to make the decision!!!

Congratulations on your new receiver.

Who would think you could get a VSX-1019 at Wal Mart?
post #282 of 5178 Old 06-23-2009, 04:33 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Samsung has its own version of KURO link - Anynet+ ; both are implementations of CEC for multi component control. In the Samsung, can you try shutting this off? It may be interfering somehow.

Thanks for the tip but turning off Anynet+ doesnt fix the issue. The scientific method of process of elimination tells me this a Kurolink issue.

Or maybe the Fixed/Broken switch on the AVR is set to Broken. Anyone know where I can find this switch?
post #283 of 5178 Old 06-23-2009, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpjnevada View Post

I am having a similar issue with my 919 but it's intermittent. With Kuro off, I can turn the receiver on and off with the remote many times and then all of a sudden it stops working and must be powered on at the receiver.

I just switched Kuro on and will now observe...........BBL.

I was wondering what was going on.............thanks for the tip.

Interesting, I have had my VSX-919 for a couple of weeks (KURO Link off), and so far, the remote has consistently turned it off/on at least 2-3 times a day...
post #284 of 5178 Old 06-23-2009, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillout View Post

Thanks for the tip but turning off Anynet+ doesnt fix the issue. The scientific method of process of elimination tells me this a Kurolink issue.

Or maybe the Fixed/Broken switch on the AVR is set to Broken. Anyone know where I can find this switch?

hilarious. Good luck....
post #285 of 5178 Old 06-23-2009, 10:01 PM

You may add me to the list of people having troubles with the remote not always turning the reciver on. Sometimes it just wont do anything, and I have to get up and manually push the power button.

Kuro Link is Off
Samsung AnyNet+ is Off
post #286 of 5178 Old 06-24-2009, 04:59 AM

Hey guys. I just found this thread and I don't want to read all the pages. I've been having problems with my Pioneer 1019 receiver turning on with the remote as well.

Kuro Link on when I got it: I didn't notice any problems turning the receiver on or off with the factory remote or with my harmony.

Kuro Link off: Constant problems with turning the receiver on with either the factory remote or the harmony. If I unplug the receiver and plug it back it, the remote will work fine for turning the power on by remote for a while.

Any solutions yet???

TC-P50V10 Build Date: April 2009
A-Board replaced on 1/4/2010 w/1.24, updated to 1.28.
Current 0% IRE: 0.034FtL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Putting the 50V10 downstairs. Bought a new Elite 101FD
post #287 of 5178 Old 06-24-2009, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackal2001 View Post

Hey guys. I just found this thread and I don't want to read all the pages. I've been having problems with my Pioneer 1019 receiver turning on with the remote as well.

Kuro Link on when I got it: I didn't notice any problems turning the receiver on or off with the factory remote or with my harmony.

Kuro Link off: Constant problems with turning the receiver on with either the factory remote or the harmony. If I unplug the receiver and plug it back it, the remote will work fine for turning the power on by remote for a while.

Any solutions yet???

i don't even have the receiver (altho probably buying soon) and managed to spend 10 minutes reading the 10 pages that go with this thread.

to the poster who said he got his receiver at a WM: which part of the country are you in? $398 is a great price right now. I'm assuming it was a B&M store and not online?
post #288 of 5178 Old 06-24-2009, 06:09 AM

Hey everyone, bought the 1019 Friday and love it so far.

I'm having some trouble though with sound on my Xbox 360.

I've got one of the original 360's that doesn't have an HDMI option, but I did buy the HD component cables to go with it. So I'm sending my component cables from the Xbox to the component in on the 1019 and the component out to the TV.

The picture is great, but I'm only getting 2.1 sound and can't get the back speakers going.

Can anybody tell me what setup I should use?

Thanks
post #289 of 5178 Old 06-24-2009, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmccleave View Post

Hey everyone, bought the 1019 Friday and love it so far.

I'm having some trouble though with sound on my Xbox 360.

I've got one of the original 360's that doesn't have an HDMI option, but I did buy the HD component cables to go with it. So I'm sending my component cables from the Xbox to the component in on the 1019 and the component out to the TV.

The picture is great, but I'm only getting 2.1 sound and can't get the back speakers going.

Can anybody tell me what setup I should use?

Thanks

The component connection takes care of the video, but how is your sound connected?
post #290 of 5178 Old 06-24-2009, 06:47 AM

Quote:

The component connection takes care of the video, but how is your sound connected?

I'm using the Red/White audio cables from the Xbox to my DVD audio to the 1019.

It just automatically switches to 2.1 sound. Then when I go back to my cable or blu-ray, it goes back to 5.1.
post #291 of 5178 Old 06-24-2009, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aenygma View Post

You may add me to the list of people having troubles with the remote not always turning the reciver on. Sometimes it just wont do anything, and I have to get up and manually push the power button.

Kuro Link is Off
Samsung AnyNet+ is Off

I had the same issue w/ the power button. I had to make sure Kuro link was off and also Viera cast(Panasonic) CEC was off to fix it. I had to leave both TV and reciever off overnight before it would work.

One problem remains though, I cann't select TV/Sat with the receiver dial. It doen't appear at all. I can select it w/ the input select button on the remote. Not a big deal as I use a harmony and it sets the input.
post #292 of 5178 Old 06-24-2009, 06:58 AM

Quote:

I'm using the Red/White audio cables from the Xbox to my DVD audio to the 1019.

It just automatically switches to 2.1 sound. Then when I go back to my cable or blu-ray, it goes back to 5.1.

it's because you are using RCA connectors. If you can, you should switch to optical or digital coaxial and you'll get better sound. If that is not an option and you must use RCA connectors then make sure the AVR is in 'Std Surround' mode. When it senses a 2 channel source (your RCA connectors) it will engage Dolby PLII, Neo:6, or Neural THX (you can choose which of these sounds best to you) to matrix that to 5.1 sound.
post #293 of 5178 Old 06-24-2009, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex94 View Post

it's because you are using RCA connectors. If you can, you should switch to optical or digital coaxial and you'll get better sound. If that is not an option and you must use RCA connectors then make sure the AVR is in 'Std Surround' mode. When it senses a 2 channel source (your RCA connectors) it will engage Dolby PLII, Neo:6, or Neural THX (you can choose which of these sounds best to you) to matrix that to 5.1 sound.

Thanks for the input. Unfortunately the RCA is my only option right now. Unless I trade in my Xbox and upgrade to a newer one so I can get the HDMI capabilities. I'll try switching to 'Std Surround' when I go home for lunch.
post #294 of 5178 Old 06-24-2009, 08:57 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the input. Unfortunately the RCA is my only option right now. Unless I trade in my Xbox and upgrade to a newer one so I can get the HDMI capabilities. I'll try switching to 'Std Surround' when I go home for lunch.

There is a Toslink connection on the old Xbox. It is on the AV plug. I have an old Xbox connected via Component and Toslink and I get 5.1 out of the Xbox. I really brings games to life.
post #295 of 5178 Old 06-24-2009, 10:44 AM

Liked: 14
A month and a half after I bought my 1019, I think I'm close to done tweaking the settings. Let me share my experience for those who care to read it.

I went with this receiver for the following reasons:
- I was hoping the Faroudja would upscale the Wii's 480i and the cable box's 1080i better than my Philips 47pfl7403 TV.
- The CD audio quality was important for me and having heard many HT systems sound horrible for music made me look for an AVR with a big EQ (9 bands for 1019) and being able to adjust the EQ manually. Unless you have a reference to compare, you can't tell how bad music sounds on most HT systems where the calibration is done for a flat response. I have another stereo system that I enjoyed for years without an equalizer and I was stunned when I bought one and cranked it up.
- I wanted to route evething through the AVR so that I would not need to change the input of the TV, because it takes 12s to start accepting commands after power up and that's a hassle is you are using a Harmony remote.
- I wanted an AVR and a blu-ray player that could fit in my TV stand, which was definitely a problem for VSX-1018 and BDP-51FD.
- I wanted the PQLS function and a matching player.

I looked at Denons and Onkyos and found that their blu-ray players were much more expensive with smaller capabilities than Pioneer's so I decided to go with Pioneer.

So I bought VSX-1019 and BDP-320. Initially I kept the speakers of my previous Sony DAV-FC9 home-theater-in-a-box (5 small and a subwoofer), because they seemed well built and I had tried one of the fronts on my other good stereo system and it seemed to have the high range I needed.

I encountered the following problems with the 1019:
- The remote sensor was too sensitive and was being blacked out by the IR interference from the fluorescent backlight of the TV. This happens during maybe 5 minutes after the TV is started while the backlight is warming up. I was upset about that, but found a solution - putting a few layers of some semi transparent tape on the sensor. It doesn't look as ugly as it sounds.
- I gave up on the video scaler - it was not any better than the TV's, it did not upscale the 1080i from the cable box through the DVI interface, the Wii did not look OK - there was some digital noise. I ended up hooking up only the blu-ray to the AVR for video, the rest went to the TV as it was before. Botton line is, don't buy an AVR because of a video scaler.
- Sometimes it would fail to switch on the sound while switching from one source to another. I believe the reason was that if the source was not on when the AVR switched the input, it tried to find signal on other inputs (digital, optical, etc. The solution was to make the Harmony remote switch the source first and also to set the input select on the AVR to the appropriate type of input instead of auto.
- The Kuro link is more of a problem than a feature. The PQLS requires the Kuro link to be on for both the player and the AVR. I have disabled the power on/off feature associated with it, but when the TV comes across the AVR output, the blu-ray player turns on and if I move away from that input on the TV (just getting to the input I need if the remote is out of sync), the AVR complains about HDCP violation. So the solution for me is to stay away from that input. To be honest, I don't see any difference between PQLS on and off and I could not find any quantitative information on how big a distortion this jitter can cause, but now that I have paid for it, I'm keeping it on.

So I hooked it up and did the calibration and was impressed by how much better the 1019 sounded for movies compared with the Sony and the same speakers. I could not say the same thing for music in comparion with my stereo system. It had way too much bass on movies and way too little on misuc with the same subwoofer and I got tired of moving the volume up and down, setting the DRC to max, LFE to something below 0, etc.
Note that for music you really want the STEREO mode, because that's the only mode that supports tone control (+6db both on bass and treble in my case) and the PQLS.
Anyway, the music performance was not good enough for me so I bought new speakers - Polk's TSi400 for the front, TSi300 for the surround and CS10 for the center. These are "large" speakers, i.e. going down to 34Hz. I thought I would be able to retire also the Sony subwoofer with them.
Bottom line is, don't buy small speakers if you can afford big ones and the bigger the better.
So I installed the Polks and calibrated, but the sound was still not good enough and I resoured to the manual MCACC mode. Actually I had tried it with the previous speakers and concluded that it's the only way to get a decent music sound.
Basically I copied the cal data to a new memory and started tweaking the EQ settings. The problem is that it plays a white-noise test tone that doesn't give you a clue how music would sound. After a few trials and errors and comparisons between memories, I ended with the 63Hz and 100Hz bands at +9db and +5db respectively, and for the 8kHz and 16kHz bands I have +4db and +7.5db. This is on the fronts and the surrounds. I did not touch the center. Also I needed to lower the mid range (1kHz and 2kHz to 1dB and 2dB respectively). I tried to keep everything else as established by MCACC, including the TRIM.
The other thing I did was to set the subwoover to PLUS in the manual speakers setup menu, which results into the bass from the fronts being mixed also into the sub. Even though the fronts are rated down to 34Hz, the sub did make a difference. Without that setting the AVR would not turn the sub on for music.

Now it really sounds like a good stereo system and IMHO even the movies sound better, although I'm keeping the original MCACC cal data labeled as MOVIE. The manual setting I labeled MUSIC. I'm no longer wondering if there is anything coming out of the surrounds and the EXT.STEREO advanced surround mode (all channels stereo) sounds much better too.
The tone control is on as before, 6dB treble and bass, loudness is on, DRC is auto, LFE is 0db.

I'm also bi-amping the fronts. I'm new to this and I could not find a good enough explanation of the benefits, but as an engineer, my conclusion is that if the highs and the lows of an 8 Ohm speaker are separated, these should be two 16Ohm loads, which loads the two amps (the front output of each channel (L or R) is used for the highs and the surround back output is used for the lows) much less and the distortion of the amps might be twice as low. The output power should be the same.

Go ahead and get manual on the EQ, otherwise you are listening to a marginal sound unless you only do movies and classical music.
post #296 of 5178 Old 06-24-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecutchins View Post

There is a Toslink connection on the old Xbox. It is on the AV plug. I have an old Xbox connected via Component and Toslink and I get 5.1 out of the Xbox. I really brings games to life.

Thanks for the info, I do have an extra optical cable now that I've got the 1019 and am using HDMI for everything, so I'll look into that.

But I did try switching to standard surround earlier and that did work.

At this rate it'll be a year before I have all this stuff figured out.
post #297 of 5178 Old 06-24-2009, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrredskin View Post

to the poster who said he got his receiver at a WM: which part of the country are you in? $398 is a great price right now. I'm assuming it was a B&M store and not online?

if you go to the walmart website, you'll find it listed there as available online only, not available in stores. furthermore, the price is still listed @$398, however, it's out of stock at this time.

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #298 of 5178 Old 06-24-2009, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsmoker View Post

- The remote sensor was too sensitive and was being blacked out by the IR interference from the fluorescent backlight of the TV. This happens during maybe 5 minutes after the TV is started while the backlight is warming up. I was upset about that, but found a solution - putting a few layers of some semi transparent tape on the sensor. It doesn't look as ugly as it sounds.

I've seen this being discussed in at least one other pioneer thread. People with problems getting their remote to consistently turn off/on their receivers should take note.

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #299 of 5178 Old 06-24-2009, 02:10 PM

Hello 1019 and 919 owners, just wanted to ask you guys an issue on picture quality.

I own an Panasonic bd-35 blu-ray player, Pioneer 5020 plasma, and have purchased an 819h Pioneer receiver.

I am having issues with the picture quality 1080p 24fps through the receiver via HDMI connections. The picture was fantastic without the receiver but when the receiver is connected the picture is duller, less sharp and a slight judder with movement, pans etc.

I have tried two 819's with the same problems. I am not looking for a upscaler just a great pass through of the original signal. Would the 919h or 1019h elimate my problems with picture quality? Have you made a comparison in picture quality, with and without the receiver, and is it worth me upgrading?
post #300 of 5178 Old 06-24-2009, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkerbrown View Post

Hello 1019 and 919 owners, just wanted to ask you guys an issue on picture quality.

I own an Panasonic bd-35 blu-ray player, Pioneer 5020 plasma, and have purchased an 819h Pioneer receiver.

I am having issues with the picture quality 1080p 24fps through the receiver via HDMI connections. The picture was fantastic without the receiver but when the receiver is connected the picture is duller, less sharp and a slight judder with movement, pans etc.

I have tried two 819's with the same problems. I am not looking for a upscaler just a great pass through of the original signal. Would the 919h or 1019h elimate my problems with picture quality? Have you made a comparison in picture quality, with and without the receiver, and is it worth me upgrading?

I have the Panny BD35 too and the 1019 and the HDMI looks great. No tampering with the HDMI signal that I can detect at all. Looks great for all of my other sources too. Much, much better than my old Sony AVR which did degrade the video quality.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page