The "Official" Pioneer VSX-1019AH Owner's Thread - Page 103 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3061 of 5181 Old 01-25-2010, 03:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm still (im)patiently waiting for J+R to get more stock on the 919, so I can complete (at least until my next round of upgrades) my system.

J+R still says they don't have an estimated date, but as I said previously Pioneer direct said they were getting more stock late last week and retailers usually get stock shortly thereafter.

I want my AVR!!!!! >)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3062 of 5181 Old 01-25-2010, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairfaxgator View Post

Thanks this worked...

Looks like the Dweeb Squad did not test the individual speakers to confirm settings...

It seems to be a valid configuration from MCACC's perspective to have LARGE speakers that can't do well on low frequencies and not turn the sub for stereo.

I wouldn't blame it on the Dweeb Squad, but on Pioneer, because MCACC should be able to measure the response of your speakers in the 30Hz-40Hz range and determine if they are good for stereo or not.
post #3063 of 5181 Old 01-25-2010, 07:52 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainhouse View Post

I think that's the Kuro-link. I turned it off, and the rec'r is no longer controlling TV audio on my Sony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vttom View Post

What I've done is connected my HD sat. receiver to the 1019 using HDMI, and the 1019 to the HDTV via HDMI, but also directly connected the sat. receiver to the TV with component video + L/R audio. Let's me choose to use the TV with or without the AVR.

I have been reviewing this thread searching for a solution to this as I am considering the purchase of a 1019 and surround speakers, but only want to use it for movies and music. Also, as my wife will often have the TV on for most of the day, I would rather not have the AVR running unnecessarily.

I am curious, though, if there are any compromises with these alternative connections with regards to A/V quality, or problems with lip-sync, etc. Thanks in advance, and also for all the great info shared here.
post #3064 of 5181 Old 01-25-2010, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr335tr View Post

I have been reviewing this thread searching for a solution to this as I am considering the purchase of a 1019 and surround speakers, but only want to use it for movies and music. Also, as my wife will often have the TV on for most of the day, I would rather not have the AVR running unnecessarily.

I am curious, though, if there are any compromises with these alternative connections with regards to A/V quality, or problems with lip-sync, etc. Thanks in advance, and also for all the great info shared here.

I adjusted the audio delay to account for the video processing in my TV and it was great.

My pace dvr(cable company) hdmi out is connected to my TV. The color leaves a lot to be desired. I found that running the component video to my receiver and letting it do the upconversion was MUCH better. I had to do this because the wife and kids can't figure it all out when I am not at home.

I even routed the tv out to one of the receiver inputs so I could have sound for anything else connected to the TV.
post #3065 of 5181 Old 01-26-2010, 01:05 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr335tr View Post

Both compromises will give you stereo audio through the TV and 5:1 (optical) or 7:1 (HDMI) through the receiver. If your cable box has component output, vttom's compromise is prolly the better option. Since your wife will be watching TV most of the day, I'm guessing she'll be more than happy with 1080i res through the component. Most HD broadcasts are 720p or 1080i anyway.

Denon X4000: Yamaha AS500;TS500;CDS300: Pioneer BDP62FD;BDP23FD;DV58AV;DV610: Panasonic DMP-BDT500; Sony BDP-S790; Samsung PS60E6500
post #3066 of 5181 Old 01-26-2010, 04:57 AM

Hi folks.

I just encountered this problem last night: I have a Bell HD-PVR connected to my 919 via HDMI (also a Sony S360 BD player via HDMI which seems to be fine). The HDMI out is connected to a Sony 52W3000 TV. The problem is that the audio from the PVR is fine but the video keeps "winking" out every 2 seconds.

I did a quick search on this thread but did not see anything similar.

So far, I've tried the following, with no results:

1. Changed out HDMI cables
2. Connected PVR to another HDMI in
3. Manual reset of PVR and AVR
4. Left components unplugged overnight
5. Kuro link set to off

I did connect the PVR direct to the TV (via HDMI) and it works fine. Also, if I connect the PVR via optical for audio and component for video, the winking stops, but the picture and sound are not as good as with HDMI.

If any of you have encountered this and found a solution, I'd appreciate a response.

I've only had the AVR since December 3, 2009.

And, yes, I'll be contacting Pioneer later today.

Thanks very much.

Rich
post #3067 of 5181 Old 01-26-2010, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post

A couple of things:

1. Do you get any video from the 1019?
2. Make sure you select HDMI 1 on the Vizio - you're probably already doing this, but to be complete.
3. Make sure the HDMI out of the 1019 is connected to the Vizio. I made this mistake for a bit.
4. The GUI only comes up if you push the button on the lower right side of the remote, then the Home button on the area on the lower left of the central disc.

That should get you up. Your OTA antenna should not interfere with the HDMI selection (I have the same Vizio).

Followed your advice and I was able to get the GUI onscreen. I have completed the MAACC calibration but now I have no sound. Since you have the same Vizio, are there settings on the TV itself I need to adjust? audio? Also, when I select my PS3 in the BD slot I get video but no sound. I know there is a specific setting for this but I could not find it in the threads....would you know this as well???? thanks again
post #3068 of 5181 Old 01-26-2010, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowgothemo View Post

Followed your advice and I was able to get the GUI onscreen. I have completed the MAACC calibration but now I have no sound. Since you have the same Vizio, are there settings on the TV itself I need to adjust? audio? Also, when I select my PS3 in the BD slot I get video but no sound. I know there is a specific setting for this but I could not find it in the threads....would you know this as well???? thanks again

Hmmm.... I assume you heard the calibration happening, with all speakers being exercised. If you get video, the TV settings (as far as it concerns the 1019) are fine.

Check whether you get sound from any speakers (including the sub). You may have some bad connections. Otherwise, you might try mapping your inputs to functions to make sure you have the connections selected correctly (see pg. 39, 40). This will map your inputs (HDMI1, for example) to functions on the remote (TV/Sat, etc.).

Have you tested other sources besides the PS3? See if this lack of sound is common to all inputs, not just the PS3. Just for completeness, check if the mute button is on, sometimes we overlook the obvious.

I don't have a PS3, but is there a setting there to select HDMI or digital as the sound output? maybe it's selected to output video through HDMI and sound in another manner. Other members with PS3's can help you better with that.
post #3069 of 5181 Old 01-26-2010, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPicard_1963 View Post

Hi folks.

I just encountered this problem last night: I have a Bell HD-PVR connected to my 919 via HDMI (also a Sony S360 BD player via HDMI which seems to be fine). The HDMI out is connected to a Sony 52W3000 TV. The problem is that the audio from the PVR is fine but the video keeps "winking" out every 2 seconds.

I did a quick search on this thread but did not see anything similar.

So far, I've tried the following, with no results:

1. Changed out HDMI cables
2. Connected PVR to another HDMI in
3. Manual reset of PVR and AVR
4. Left components unplugged overnight

I did connect the PVR direct to the TV (via HDMI) and it works fine. Also, if I connect the PVR via optical for audio and component for video, the winking stops, but the picture and sound are not as good as with HDMI.

If any of you have encountered this and found a solution, I'd appreciate a response.

I've only had the AVR since December 3, 2009.

And, yes, I'll be contacting Pioneer later today.

Thanks very much.

Rich

HDMI has notoriously bad physical connection characteristics (not tight). Does your HDMI cable have a stressed (bend or tight ) connection to the AVR? You might consider either a cable with an angled connection or a locking connection if that's the case. Or maybe create some space to let the cable run straighter in.
post #3070 of 5181 Old 01-26-2010, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post

HDMI has notoriously bad physical connection characteristics (not tight). Does your HDMI cable have a stressed (bend or tight ) connection to the AVR? You might consider either a cable with an angled connection or a locking connection if that's the case. Or maybe create some space to let the cable run straighter in.

Not really. All my components are out in the open on a rack.

I made sure that the dreaded Kuro link was disabled, too.

I'll double-check the actual cable connections when I get home, though.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Rich
post #3071 of 5181 Old 01-26-2010, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

Also, if I connect the PVR via optical for audio and component for video, the winking stops, but the picture and sound are not as good as with HDMI.

There should be no difference in the quality of sound on HDMI vs optical coming from your PVR other than maybe a slight volume change as they are both carrying the same digital audio signal. In addition there should be almost no video difference using component since it supports 1080i just fine.

Now if we were talking about a Blu-Ray player its a different story as HDMI is better since you'll then get full 1080p and HD audio.

My equipment list is here. Playstation Network ID = jmii ...that's JM roman numeral 2
post #3072 of 5181 Old 01-26-2010, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

I have completed the MAACC calibration but now I have no sound. Since you have the same Vizio, are there settings on the TV itself I need to adjust? audio? Also, when I select my PS3 in the BD slot I get video but no sound. I know there is a specific setting for this but I could not find it in the threads....would you know this as well???? thanks again

No sound on the Vizio? If so this is the expected result as your AVR is now handling all audio duties, thus the TV's speakers will be silent.

As for the PS3 check the audio options and make sure its set to output audio over HDMI. The newest firmwear allows you to output audio over multiple outputs.

Last item, make sure Kuro Link is off before trying to reassign inputs, it could be the cause of the no sound issue as well.

My equipment list is here. Playstation Network ID = jmii ...that's JM roman numeral 2
post #3073 of 5181 Old 01-26-2010, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smack518 View Post

I'm still (im)patiently waiting for J+R to get more stock on the 919, so I can complete (at least until my next round of upgrades) my system.

I want my AVR!!!!! >)

Any idea if the 1019 will come in at the same time? I caan't find it in stock anywhere!!
post #3074 of 5181 Old 01-26-2010, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMII View Post

No sound on the Vizio? If so this is the expected result as your AVR is now handling all audio duties, thus the TV's speakers will be silent.

As for the PS3 check the audio options and make sure its set to output audio over HDMI. The newest firmwear allows you to output audio over multiple outputs.

Last item, make sure Kuro Link is off before trying to reassign inputs, it could be the cause of the no sound issue as well.

No sound on the Vizio? If so this is the expected result as your AVR is now handling all audio duties, thus the TV's speakers will be silent. - Any idea's as to why my speakers are silent as well??? They did emit sounds during the calibration, so I am assuming then they are hooked up correctly......

As for the PS3 check the audio options and make sure its set to output audio over HDMI. The newest firmwear allows you to output audio over multiple outputs. - I have it set to output audio via HDMI....still no sound....I have also seen the multiple audio option as well....should this be turned on?

I will double check that they Kuro link is turned off....thanks for your help
post #3075 of 5181 Old 01-26-2010, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leetch2 View Post

Any idea if the 1019 will come in at the same time? I caan't find it in stock anywhere!!

I imagine so, though I can't really be sure, as I didn't ask.
post #3076 of 5181 Old 01-26-2010, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by leetch2 View Post

try best buy
post #3077 of 5181 Old 01-26-2010, 11:30 AM

Hi again.

I just contacted Pioneer Canada and the service rep told me I was the 6th person calling with the same issue. Aparrently, Bell (my satellite provider), has released some sort of FW upgrade which has affected others with this AVR (I assume the 1019 is also affected).

Anyhoo, looks like a call to Bell is in order.

Thanks for the suggestions, folks.

Rich
post #3078 of 5181 Old 01-26-2010, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No sound on the Vizio? If so this is the expected result as your AVR is now handling all audio duties, thus the TV's speakers will be silent. - Any idea's as to why my speakers are silent as well??? They did emit sounds during the calibration, so I am assuming then they are hooked up correctly......

As for the PS3 check the audio options and make sure its set to output audio over HDMI. The newest firmwear allows you to output audio over multiple outputs. - I have it set to output audio via HDMI....still no sound....I have also seen the multiple audio option as well....should this be turned on?

What is the volume setting at? (on the 1019)
post #3079 of 5181 Old 01-26-2010, 02:34 PM

I recently (1/14/2010) bought the Pioneer VSX-1019 AHK at BB. Set it up with Def Tech ProCinema 800 and Sony PS3. Used auto MCACC to set up speakers and the AVR sounds great. No problem with PS3 either. Have HDMI from Comcast set-top to AVR then HDMI out of AVR to Sony KDL-40XBR. Unfortunately I should have read this thread first. My unit, which was built in October 2009 (from sticker on back), experiences what others have complained about from early 2009 where it will not stay in the 'standby" mode after it is turned off. It basically falls asleep just like it was unplugged. In the process the remote is rendered useless as the unit will not recognize it or any properly coded remote. In order to turn the unit on you have to manually push the power button. After that the remote(s) work fine. I have tried Kuro Link on and off and it makes no difference. I have rerouted the HDMI from the set-top directly to the TV with a digital audio cable to the AVR and it makes no difference. It still shuts down from the standby mode. (the unit runs very cool so this is not an overheating issue). I have spoken to Pioneer 3times and they acknowledge the problem and state "the engineers are working on it" but, while polite, they offer no assurances that it will be fixed and, if so, when. My concern is that they have known about this for at least a year and they continue to sell the product with the problem unfixed. I would encourage folks to avoid this unit until they get it fixed unless you are OK manually operating the receiver. Has anyone experienced this same problem? Has anyone determined an owner fix? Has anyone been given any reasonable reassurance from Pioneer that they are actually on top of this issue?
post #3080 of 5181 Old 01-26-2010, 05:35 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:

Check also the speakers button on the front panel - it switches between A, B, and OFF.
post #3081 of 5181 Old 01-27-2010, 04:49 AM

I have the vsx-919 with PS3 (the old one). Everything is connected with HDMI.
The PS3 is set to output Linear PCM.
The speakers are 5.1.

We just purchased the George Michael Live in London BD.

We started the BD and selected the DTS-HD track.
Now I and my girlfirend find that the sound isn't as good when I switch the PS3 to bitstream output, wich I find very strange. I know that when switching to bitstream DTS-HD is not possible becease the old PS3 cannot do that.
So IMO the reason that the DTS-HD track doesn't sound as good as Dolby Digital has got something to do with the receiver.

What option should I choose to get the best sound for a DTS-HD track from a live concert? I have tried Auto Surround, ALC, Direct and Pure Direct. But i'm not sure what to choose. Can there be somethin wrong with te setup?

I tried different setups with MCACC, but I find the manual very confusing and I'm not an audio expert. Maybe someone has some good tutorials for setting up the VSX-919 with a 5.1 setup?

Thanks
post #3082 of 5181 Old 01-27-2010, 05:07 AM
Advanced Member

^ ^ ^ ^
The old PS3 does NOT bitstream the DTS-HD MA soundtrack as you rightly mentioned. Instead the PS3 just streams the "core" DTS soundtrack, which in itself is quite good. However, to enjoy the DTS-HD MA soundtrack, your setup is right i.e. you have to select LPCM as output and let the PS3 do the decoding of the DTS-HD MA soundtrack.
post #3083 of 5181 Old 01-27-2010, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper31 View Post

Has anyone given the 919/1019 a listen while using headphones? If so, how does the Phones Surround mode work? I'm mostly interested in its performance while gaming (on the PS3, specifically, but ANY impressions would be appreciated!).

Going a bit further, how does it compare to Dolby Headphone, or Yamaha's Silent Cinema mode (if anyone has experiences to compare)?

Thanks so much for the help, it seems the internet is void of any information pertaining to this Phones Surround mode!

Sorry to repeat myself, but I really am curious about the how the Phones Surround mode works.

Anyone? If not I'll post my impressions once I finally decide on some headphones. And I'll make sure to copyright my post, as it will be the first time anyone has put their impressions of this feature in writing
post #3084 of 5181 Old 01-27-2010, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zervinb View Post

^ ^ ^ ^
The old PS3 does NOT bitstream the DTS-HD MA soundtrack as you rightly mentioned. Instead the PS3 just streams the "core" DTS soundtrack, which in itself is quite good. However, to enjoy the DTS-HD MA soundtrack, your setup is right i.e. you have to select LPCM as output and let the PS3 do the decoding of the DTS-HD MA soundtrack.

Do you know what should be the best option for DTS-HD on the receiver?
I sounds pretty oke for now, the vocals are very clear, but I find the instruments and bass to soft. I have the feeling that his voice is really in the room, but I do not have that feeling with the instrumentual music.
post #3085 of 5181 Old 01-27-2010, 06:45 AM

Thanks for any replies/help! I'm a relative newbie to av stuff but I'm confident i have all the connections setup correctly. I just don't know how to setup the receivers settings.

Specifically, I only have 2 front speakers, a center channel, and a powered sub. I was using focused surround (not wide) but no audio is coming from the center channel.

Is there a way to have optimum settings for this speaker setup when watching cable, DVDs, etc? I have no HD source, no bluray, NO HDMI requiring connections.

Thanks so much everyone.

jt
post #3086 of 5181 Old 01-27-2010, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt1998 View Post

Thanks for any replies/help! I'm a relative newbie to av stuff but I'm confident i have all the connections setup correctly. I just don't know how to setup the receivers settings.

Specifically, I only have 2 front speakers, a center channel, and a powered sub. I was using focused surround (not wide) but no audio is coming from the center channel.

Is there a way to have optimum settings for this speaker setup when watching cable, DVDs, etc? I have no HD source, no bluray, NO HDMI requiring connections.

Thanks so much everyone.

jt

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't focused surround an enhanced stereo setting? So you would only get sound from your mains. Possibly the sub too, if you've set the sub to "plus" during the MCACC calibration. That's my understanding from the owner's manual, anyway.

Hope that helps.
post #3087 of 5181 Old 01-27-2010, 07:45 AM

Hi folks,

Since I could not find an "offical" thread, for the VSX-919AH-K, I decided to post here - since these models are very similar and according to Pioneer, the HDMI switching is exactly the same...

I've owned a Pioneer VSX-919AH-K for about 8 months now and since Christmas I finally got fed-up with the HDMI switching problems between my HTPC and my other components - namely my X-Box 360, TV and HTPC. When I switch from a source to HTPC, I often get a black screen for 5-10 seconds... sometimes staying black indefinitely. In the latter case, I have to restart the machine or bring up the Task Manager and force quite Vista Media Center. Often in those cases, I've noticed that the video resolution has changed from 1920x1080/32bit to 1280x800/16bit. VMC does not like that mode, and so the screen stays black. Force quitting, resetting the display settings and restarting VMC does the trick that's the part that I've lost all patience with

My HTPC is based on a popular HTPC motherboard - the Gigabyte GA-MA69GM-S2H. Initially, I thought this problem was because my ATI drivers were out of date. So I tried to update the drivers and because of ATI's incredibly bad driver installation packages, I ended up rebuilding the entire system from scratch - that's another story. But the good news is I have a newly built OS, from scratch with the latest ATI driver and Catalyst Control Center software working properly however the HDMI switching problem continues.

The ATI re-installation/rebuilding process was with Gigabyte's service people involvement. At the end, my original problem was not fixed, so Gigabyte say that it is because of Pioneer's HDCP handshaking and that it forces the video card to a low resolution that HDCP does not protect.

Pioneer of course says its Gigabyte's problem.

My post is to collect information for those that have a VSX-919AH-K and an HTPC to see if this receiver can switch nicely from one source to the HTPC input without these kinds of issues. I would really appreciate if those that run an HTPC with this receiver weight-in - and identify what motherboard you have (or video card, if you are suing a separate video card) - and of course most importantly, how the HDMI switching is working

If moderators don't mind, I'd like to make a similar post in the HTPC area asking people to come to this post and make comments
post #3088 of 5181 Old 01-27-2010, 07:56 AM

Quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't focused surround an enhanced stereo setting? So you would only get sound from your mains. Possibly the sub too, if you've set the sub to "plus" during the MCACC calibration. That's my understanding from the owner's manual, anyway.

Hope that helps.

You're right, that's what happens and it is a stereo setting. I just don't know what setting to put it on to optimize the speakers I currently have.

Suggestions/recommendations?

Thanks!
post #3089 of 5181 Old 01-27-2010, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rporetti View Post

I've owned a Pioneer VSX-919AH-K for about 8 months now

My HTPC is based on a popular HTPC motherboard - the Gigabyte GA-MA69GM-S2H.

HDCP non-compatibility issues have plagued quite a few owners. There are quite a few handshake issues with many cable boxes as well.

I have ordered the VSX-919AH-K and I shall be getting it in the middle of February. I too intend connecting my PC to it via HDMI. My motherboard is somewhat similar to yours. It's model no. is GIGABYTE MA78GM-S2H. I shall be glad to post my experiences connecting the PC to the receiver when I set it up. There may be some setting needed to be changed somewhere or something. I won't be totally dependent on the PC-Receiver connection as I intend setting up my cable box as well as a PS3 Slim.

Shall keep you informed. Right now, am patiently waiting for my receiver and HDTV.
post #3090 of 5181 Old 01-27-2010, 08:52 AM

Something occurred to me. I'm wondering if the reason the 919 and 1019 have been sold out for so long everywhere is that Pioneer has slowed production because they're trying to solve the HDCP and remote issues many on this thread have been discussing. As they said "they're aware of the problem and working on it" but as these units are not firmware upgradable, perhaps they're just fixing the issue on newly produced units.

That said... I STILL WANT MY AVR!!!!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page