post #391 of 5178 Old 06-30-2009, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tintaffiny View Post

First post and lots of questions, so I apologize ahead of time. Just got all brand new equipment for my home theater (after 8 years of nothing new). I "think" I really like my pioneer VSX919 but have some questions.

My equipment

Sony Blu-Ray BDP-S350
Samsung DVD player
Pioneer VSX-919 AH (receiver)
Panasonic TC-P50C1 (50 inch plasma vierra)

My set up is pretty simple. HDMI from Blu-ray to receiver, and HDMI from receiver to TV. DVD is set up by optical audio to receiver and component for video to receiver.

Questions

1 - How do I know what audio is being input to the receiver from the Blu-Ray disc (or DVD even)?
2 - How do I know what audio is being output from the receiver (given the above). Do these things show on the screen?
3 - I have "issues" with the receiver turning itself off once I turn on the Sony blu-ray player. Also, when I turn off the TV, the receiver turns off? Why?
4 - Why, in my ignorance, is the volume showing negative dB values....and then it can go to 12dB?
5 - What is Kuro Link and it's purpose?
6 - What is this "handshaking" with HDMI that you are all talking about? I don't see mention of handshaking in the manual anywhere.

As to:

1. - The Audio is identified on the AVR screen (stereo, TrueHd, Digital...) that tells you the kind of sound decoding happening in the 919.
2. - The receiveer always outputs to the speakers, so there is no need to note that.
3. - This I think is due to an HDMI feature called HDMI CEC, which lets you send control signals from one component to another through HDMI cables, like "turn on" or "turn off". The problem is that this is implemented in different ways and can interfere if you don't have components from the same manufacturer. In the case of Pioneer, this feature is called "KURO link", in the Sonys it is called "Bravia Sync". My advice is to turn both off, hopefully that stops the turn on / turn off.
4. - I think someone mentioned this earlier, but it is metered to reflect the volume at a movie theater (0), so in a home you go negative. But your guess is as good as mine if that's not so.
5. - KURO link is Pioneer's implementation of HDMI CEC. I have it shut off.
6. - HDMI is a software protocol that runs on top of the actual physical connection. Once you plug a cable in, and it realizes you have power, an interface on one component (let's say the 919) talks to the component at the other end (let's say your TV) and has a back and forth dialogue with it, sharing information with it and finding out the best way to communicate with it. If both ends of the connection are satisfied after this conversation, data starts to flow and you see picture and sound. If for some reason, one side is not happy (or both), the handshake has failed and you see things like blue screens on the TV or error messages on the 919.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 5178 Old 06-30-2009, 12:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post

1. - The Audio is identified on the AVR screen (stereo, TrueHd, Digital...) that tells you the kind of sound decoding happening in the 919.
2. - The receiveer always outputs to the speakers, so there is no need to note that.

Regarding the above, page 9 of the manual says that section 2 of the display indicates what audio signal are being input to the receiver, but NOT what is being output. So I would assume that there is some kind of output but can't tell where the receiver tells me what is being output to the speakers.

Quote:

6. - HDMI is a software protocol that runs on top of the actual physical connection. Once you plug a cable in, and it realizes you have power, an interface on one component (let's say the 919) talks to the component at the other end (let's say your TV) and has a back and forth dialogue with it, sharing information with it and finding out the best way to communicate with it. If both ends of the connection are satisfied after this conversation, data starts to flow and you see picture and sound. If for some reason, one side is not happy (or both), the handshake has failed and you see things like blue screens on the TV or error messages on the 919.

Oh, and hear I thought there was a symbol showing up on the receiver that I just couldn't find. Thanks for clearing that up. And I'm going to turn off the Bravia sync (on the blu-ray player) and the KURO link on the receiver....hopefully that solves the turn on/off issues.

Thanks again.
post #393 of 5178 Old 06-30-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aross99 View Post

Welcome to the Forums!

I have a VSX-919 as well, and I am sure you will enjoy it. It is a great receiver!

Thanks!

I've been lurking around, reading, learning, etc, for a while but now that I have more than just a TV and BD player I figure I'd sign up because I'm bound to need help setting the whole thing up.
post #394 of 5178 Old 06-30-2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisz View Post

Thanks!

I've been lurking around, reading, learning, etc, for a while but now that I have more than just a TV and BD player I figure I'd sign up because I'm bound to need help setting the whole thing up.

You will find that these forums are a GREAT resource. You can learn more about this stuff than you ever thought possible.

Feel free to ask away, that what many of us are here for. After a while, you will fee comfortable answering other people's questions too. It is a great feeling to be able to give back some of what you have learned here too...
post #395 of 5178 Old 06-30-2009, 02:29 PM

Got a question regarding the iPod cable that comes with the 1019.

Since the included iPod cable connects via the 30 pin connector on the bottom of the iPod would this be a pre-amp output from the iPod? I believe the 1/8" headphone jack on the iPod is amp'd internally, correct?
post #396 of 5178 Old 06-30-2009, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnydz View Post

Got a question regarding the iPod cable that comes with the 1019.

Since the included iPod cable connects via the 30 pin connector on the bottom of the iPod would this be a pre-amp output from the iPod? I believe the 1/8" headphone jack on the iPod is amp'd internally, correct?

Even better, the connector bypasses the iPod DACs and uses the AVRs instead. Much better quality sound is the result. It also uses the AVR amp but it would do that even if you used the headphone jack as you'd be passing line level sound into the AVR via RCA L/R jacks.
post #397 of 5178 Old 06-30-2009, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I just got notice that my NEW VSX 1019 wii be delivered on or about the 7th of July - just in time for my 70th B. Day on the 8th.
So am reading ALL these posts and learning what i can and started looking thru the Manual on line..........I have a question I'd like HELP with after seeing the section in the Manual about the HDMI I/Os and connecting up to them. I was surprised to see one HDMI Input actually named for your BD Player.
THIS is my present system Connection setup.....TV: Samsung 61A750 HDTV; present AVR - Onkyo 603X; HTPC with LG BD Player. I replaced my OPPO DVD Player with the HTPC and it's BD/DVD/CDROM Player.....when i did that change I just left the DVD feed HDMI in HDMI 1 and plugged that INTO my HDMI OUT of my HTPC.........so when I use my Harmony the way it is now setup, I choose Play a DVD and it turns on my Onkyo AVR and the TV, and I turn on the HTPC by hand.
Seeing that "special" BD INPUT on the 1019 has me scratching me head and asking here.........when I get this 1019, considering what you now know I have and need to connect the BEST way......how would or should I connect these up. I am thinking that I would connect up the HTPC with the built in BD Player into the BD IN.....and then just go wiith another HDMI cable from the OUT to the IN of the HDTV....and IF I put that into HDMI 1....my Harmony would still wake up the PIO and HDTV at same time [after I re-program the 550 Harmony to the 1019]. RIGHT?

TKS michael
post #398 of 5178 Old 06-30-2009, 04:43 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Samsung has its own version of KURO link - Anynet+ ; both are implementations of CEC for multi component control. In the Samsung, can you try shutting this off? It may be interfering somehow.

Thought I would give an update. About a week+ after I turned off Anynet+ on my Sammy TV, the remote started working to turn ON the AVR.
It didnt happen right away after I turned OFF Anynet+ but for some reason the remote now turns ON the AVR consistently.

I guess if anyone is having remote control problems turning ON the AVR with KURO-Link OFF, they should try turning off their TV's multi-component control software.
post #399 of 5178 Old 06-30-2009, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberized View Post

I just got notice that my NEW VSX 1019 wii be delivered on or about the 7th of July - just in time for my 70th B. Day on the 8th.
So am reading ALL these posts and learning what i can and started looking thru the Manual on line..........I have a question I'd like HELP with after seeing the section in the Manual about the HDMI I/Os and connecting up to them. I was surprised to see one HDMI Input actually named for your BD Player.
THIS is my present system Connection setup.....TV: Samsung 61A750 HDTV; present AVR - Onkyo 603X; HTPC with LG BD Player. I replaced my OPPO DVD Player with the HTPC and it's BD/DVD/CDROM Player.....when i did that change I just left the DVD feed HDMI in HDMI 1 and plugged that INTO my HDMI OUT of my HTPC.........so when I use my Harmony the way it is now setup, I choose Play a DVD and it turns on my Onkyo AVR and the TV, and I turn on the HTPC by hand.
Seeing that "special" BD INPUT on the 1019 has me scratching me head and asking here.........when I get this 1019, considering what you now know I have and need to connect the BEST way......how would or should I connect these up. I am thinking that I would connect up the HTPC with the built in BD Player into the BD IN.....and then just go wiith another HDMI cable from the OUT to the IN of the HDTV....and IF I put that into HDMI 1....my Harmony would still wake up the PIO and HDTV at same time [after I re-program the 550 Harmony to the 1019]. RIGHT?

TKS michael

Does your HTPC support sound as well as video via HDMI out? If yes, then you can just use the BD input like you used the HDMI in on your old AVR. HTPC --> HDMI --->1019 BD In --->HDMI out ---> TV.

If it doesn't support sound then I think you would need to use another HDMI in and then reassign that input and a digital audio input to 'DVD' or some other input name.

Your Harmony will still be able to turn the TV and 1019 on and set everything to the right input.

Enjoy - and Happy Birthday.
post #400 of 5178 Old 06-30-2009, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

TKS michael

So right now you have (I think):

the HTPC DVD feed -> HDMI1 of the Onkyo -> Onkyo HDMI out -> HTPC input -> Samsung HDTV

There's no other feedback to the Onkyo, right? So on the 1019, just redo the same. The BD input is just like any other HDMI input, the only difference is that it can't be re-assigned to a function (like TV/SAT ... ). So you could use the BD input. In this case, you can connect:

the HTPC DVD feed -> BD of the 1019 -> 1019 HDMI out -> HTPC input -> Samsung HDTV

Just tell the harmony what the inputs are that you use in the 1019.

I have the Harmony 670, all it took was to define the 1019 as a new device, assign it to the usual actions (like Play DVD) and away I went. I redid the sequence so my display gets turned on first and the 1019 later, but haven't played around with it more.
post #401 of 5178 Old 06-30-2009, 04:57 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I really needed whatever they were [my Sammy HDTV does a GREAT job a upscaling]. Is there a difference in the Auto Setup Program between the 2? I know I am going to LOVE this baby.....but probably should of saved the $ and went for the cheaper model. DAT's Life!

I have a Sammy A850 TV that has a built-in upscaler but I believe SD video looks better going thru the AVR.

I do not know if the AVR has a better upscaler, or if there is any advantage to upscaling twice but watching SD DVD's thru the AVR is better IMO.
post #402 of 5178 Old 06-30-2009, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you.

Regarding the above, page 9 of the manual says that section 2 of the display indicates what audio signal are being input to the receiver, but NOT what is being output. So I would assume that there is some kind of output but can't tell where the receiver tells me what is being output to the speakers.

Thanks again.

I think if you look at the Display description page on the manual (pg.9) it may help. Section 2 of the display gives you the type of format being fed in through PCM, and the speaker configuration expected by the input signal. In the case of an input PCM 5.1 signal, it will light the L C R SL SR signals. If you are watching a BD, it may see an LFE signal to be processed. This is still part of the input, just what is expected to be output.

In section 18 of the same display, it shows whether you're using speaker setup A, B or (A and B)

The actual output is not shown, AFAIK, since the input is translated by the 1019 and output to the defined speakers by an A/D converter and an amplifier. At the end it's totally analog, so unless you have a meter, that's all we know IMO.
post #403 of 5178 Old 06-30-2009, 08:25 PM

Okie dokie, I am going to bring up the volume thing again. (I know)

I have pretty much set up everything now, including our Harmony remote, and everything is working o-tay.

I would think a "somewhat" comparable listening experience for all of us would be the Tuner.
When I listen to the tuner it becomes audible at approximately 63, and I find normal listening volume to be approximately 34.

This seems a bit low to me. I mean why put in the ability to go below say 70 if you can't even hear it... Or, is it just my 1019 doing this?

I know different speakers will of course be more or less efficient. My Polk speakers are rated at 90dB.

Thanks for any input.
post #404 of 5178 Old 06-30-2009, 09:14 PM

This seems dumb to me also, but that seems to be the way the Pioneer receivers work. I had a VSX-914 (5 models ago), and it was the same way.

When I first got it, I thought it was defective, because I didn't turn the volume up enough to hear anything...
post #405 of 5178 Old 07-01-2009, 07:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tex94 View Post

Does your HTPC support sound as well as video via HDMI out? If yes, then you can just use the BD input like you used the HDMI in on your old AVR. HTPC --> HDMI --->1019 BD In --->HDMI out ---> TV.

If it doesn't support sound then I think you would need to use another HDMI in and then reassign that input and a digital audio input to 'DVD' or some other input name.

Your Harmony will still be able to turn the TV and 1019 on and set everything to the right input.

Enjoy - and Happy Birthday.

THANKS ALOT!
YES about the dual feed via HDMI OUT from my HTPC - I have a NEW HIS ATI 4670 card which supports HDMI 1.3 etc. Looks/sounds great.....was a little "confused" about this BD INPUT....when I read someone here say IF you use that then everytime you want to use it you have to push a BD Button on 1019 or remote and did not like the sound of that.
Going to start unhooking all the speakers from my present AVR to get ready for this BIG UPGRADE [lookout neighbors!]
post #406 of 5178 Old 07-01-2009, 06:29 PM

I got the 1019 today...Just want to let everyone know that it does not have the "relay click" issue like the Onkyo 605.

Nice machine! It's a keeper!
post #407 of 5178 Old 07-01-2009, 11:26 PM

I just purchased both the VSX-1019 and a new PS3 in the last two weeks. Both the PS3 and the 1019 work great individually - just not together using HDMI. I can't get the 1019 to accept either audio or video from the PS3 and direct the video to a Samsung LCD HDTV (two years old) - all using HDMI. No video - no sound - anywhere. I've tried all the 1019 HDMI input ports with the same result.

Troubleshooting steps so far:
The PS3 plays perfectly connected via HDMI directly to the Samsung HDTV. Full 1080p resolution with no sound issues. So it would appear that the PS3 HDMI port and the Samsung HDMI input ports are working and both are playing together just fine.

The VSX-1019 displays its OSD menu properly on the Samsung - so the 1019 HDMI out appears to be OK.

I've tested all of the 1019's 4 HDMI inputs (including the BD input) using my DirecTV DVR HDMI out. All work properly and the 1019 routes the video via HDMI out to the Samsung HDTV, so the 1019 HDMI input ports all check out.

The PS3 was set to output full 1080p resolution with LPCM audio and HDMI selected for output of both audio and video. I experimented by trying different output resolutions on the PS3, and one thread suggested turning off 1080p/24 frame rate -didn't work.

KuroLink is turned off on the 1019.

Temporarily, I've connected the PS3 HDMI out directly into a third HDTV port (bypassing the 1019) and have routed PS3 audio directly to the 1019 via digital optical cable, but the PS3 only outputs 5.1 audio via the dig out, rather than the 7.1 I would get via HDMI LPCM. Not a big loss, and I can live with the results, but I would be grateful if anyone can point out what I'm doing wrong. Others on this thread seem have no problems with the PS3 and HDMI. Thanks.

UPDATE:
As suggested in other posts, it appears that the HDMI handshake is affected by power on sequence. Powering up the VSX-1019 before the PS3 seems to have resolved the problem. Will have to see if that consistently works.
post #408 of 5178 Old 07-02-2009, 09:20 AM

Hi everyone, thinking about getting a 1019. i have my speakers in the family room and speakers outside on the patio, is there a setting to allow me to operate the individually or both at the same time.

Thanks for the help.
post #409 of 5178 Old 07-02-2009, 10:00 AM

I want to buy the 919ah ( realize this is upgraded version ) but I heard the new pioneer receivers have delayed HDMI switching, one review I read made it sound like it delays and doesnt switch ALOT. Is it really that bad?? how well does the hdmi switching work with the PS3??? many issues??
post #410 of 5178 Old 07-02-2009, 10:01 AM

Anyone using this receiver with hdmi over cat 5 or 6 (ethernet) cable? Just want to make sure that it's gonna work prior to purchasing.
post #411 of 5178 Old 07-02-2009, 10:36 AM

Is it possible to plug 2 woofers into this machine?

If so, how?

Thanks,
Kyle
post #412 of 5178 Old 07-02-2009, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swa pilot View Post

Hi everyone, thinking about getting a 1019. i have my speakers in the family room and speakers outside on the patio, is there a setting to allow me to operate the individually or both at the same time.

Thanks for the help.

The 1019 will let you set up either separate speakers (A, B, A+B) configuration, where A would be your 5.1, and B would be stereo. This loses you a 7.1 configuration if you were planning on that.

Separate speakers would let you feed one signal into your main area (A), or your alternate area (B) while not sending anything to your main area, or to both areas (A+B). It is the same exact source, though.

You can also set it up as a separate zone, (which also loses you the 7.1) so you can use your main area for HT (5.1) and the separate zone for music (and video I think) simulatenaously. You could have two separate sources playing in the two separate areas.

As one of our posters has found, though - the second zone can't receive broadcasts from digital inputs, so if you have a CD or DVD player connected via HDMI or optical, and you play a CD, it won't get there. To get it to work, you'd have to run RCA cables from it to the 1019, then use that as your input to Zone 2. You can, however use the iPod or USB input for music to that zone, so it depends on how you want to use it.

I've got this set up with a separate zone (main 5.1 is family room, zone 2 is living room) and I want only music in the second zone, so I have no problem running extra cables from my HD-DVD player or (soon to be here) OPPO BD player in case I want to feed that music to my living room.
post #413 of 5178 Old 07-02-2009, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalman42 View Post

I want to buy the 919ah ( realize this is upgraded version ) but I heard the new pioneer receivers have delayed HDMI switching, one review I read made it sound like it delays and doesnt switch ALOT. Is it really that bad?? how well does the hdmi switching work with the PS3??? many issues??

Don't know about the PS3, but I have several sources including an HD-DVD player, and a FIOS box connected via HDMI, I haven't found any issues in switching at all. What problem did they find?
post #414 of 5178 Old 07-02-2009, 11:51 AM

Thanks hernanu....you helped.

I turned off Bravia Sync, Kuro Link, AND Viera link and have no more issues of one thing turning on and another off, and then switching etc... How annoying that companies don't work together for a standard system.

I also ran the MCACC with the mic set up and it all looks good to go.
post #415 of 5178 Old 07-02-2009, 11:51 AM

I recently purchased and installed the 919 AH-K Audio Video Receiver, but am unable to get the Graphical User Interface to come up on my Sony Bravia evision. I have a Comcast cable box, and an Insignia blue-ray dvd player. The blue player is hooked up to receiver's BD input via HDMI cable, and the cable box is hooked up to the receiver's HDMI I input also via HDMI. The tv is hooked up to the receiver via an HDMI cable from the HDMI output port. The tv and blue ray player work fine (so does my ipod with the input on the front of the receiver, and the ipod interface displays on the tv). Any suggestions on how I can access the GUI?

I did call Pioneer tech support and they suggested that I run a component cable from the yellow "monitor out" to the tv. No luck. I even tried hooking up a different tv (also a Sony), but nada.
post #416 of 5178 Old 07-02-2009, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks hernanu....you helped.

I turned off Bravia Sync, Kuro Link, AND Viera link and have no more issues of one thing turning on and another off, and then switching etc... How annoying that companies don't work together for a standard system.

I also ran the MCACC with the mic set up and it all looks good to go.

Glad to hear that - it's too bad that we have to overcome a "feature" like that on multiple components to get a great receiver to work. Enjoy.
post #417 of 5178 Old 07-02-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:

Don't know about the PS3, but I have several sources including an HD-DVD player, and a FIOS box connected via HDMI, I haven't found any issues in switching at all. What problem did they find?

http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/Pi...SX-919AH.shtml
post #418 of 5178 Old 07-02-2009, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acemon View Post

I recently purchased and installed the 919 AH-K Audio Video Receiver, but am unable to get the Graphical User Interface to come up on my Sony Bravia evision. I have a Comcast cable box, and an Insignia blue-ray dvd player. The blue player is hooked up to receiver's BD input via HDMI cable, and the cable box is hooked up to the receiver's HDMI I input also via HDMI. The tv is hooked up to the receiver via an HDMI cable from the HDMI output port. The tv and blue ray player work fine (so does my ipod with the input on the front of the receiver, and the ipod interface displays on the tv). Any suggestions on how I can access the GUI?

I did call Pioneer tech support and they suggested that I run a component cable from the yellow "monitor out" to the tv. No luck. I even tried hooking up a different tv (also a Sony), but nada.

So you hit the "receiver" button on the lower right part of the remote (surrounded by a little box) and then the small house logo (Home / Menu) on the lower left corner of the wheel (that has "enter" at its center)?

I had a problem with this at first, since I thought the "receiver" button on the top left (which kept on turning the receiver on and off, surprisingly). This kept on until I realized there were two receiver buttons on the remote.
post #419 of 5178 Old 07-02-2009, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, I don't do exactly what he did, since I have a Harmony 670 remote, which probably uses the sequence to trigger new HDMI handshakes, where he just switched inputs, I think. Oh well - pretty good review overall, though.
post #420 of 5178 Old 07-02-2009, 12:54 PM

This is my first post so I hope I'm following the correct procedure.

I set up my 1019 with auto MCACC and it located and calibrated my speakers so I thought all was fine. But when I unplugged the microphone and tried to listen to two different sources (either Blu-Ray or TV) the receiver would show "1. SETUP" as if it wanted to start the auto MCACC again???

I tried several attempts with varying outcomes. Once the TV sound came from the receiver for about 15 seconds, then the reciever would either turn off or the "1. SETUP" prompt would reappear. I would have to turn off the receiver to get rid of the prompt, but then after a few seconds of receiver sound, it would happen again.

Another time with DVD in the BD player, there was no sound through the receiver at all for a few minutes, then all of a sudden the sound came out, but only in stereo? I'm confident of the BD player hookup as it is only the HDMI cable.

So bottom line is I get intermittent, stereo only sound after MCACC setup and also a prompt to run MCACC setup again even when the microphone is not plugged in? I hope I'm missing something simple and any help will be greatly appreciated.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page