The "Official" Pioneer VSX-1019AH Owner's Thread - Page 145 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4321 of 5165 Old 07-28-2010, 11:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am thinking about building my own subs and hooking up a beringer amp to power them and was wondering if anyone is using separate amps (not plate amps) for their subs. I am worried about the receiver not sending a strong enough signal to the amp. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4322 of 5165 Old 07-28-2010, 11:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
^^^

that's like asking "how long is a rope"?

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #4323 of 5165 Old 07-28-2010, 11:42 AM

subscribed
post #4324 of 5165 Old 07-28-2010, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsmoker View Post

The problem is that the calibration standard is intended for home theater and part of that is the room response to be equalized to appear flat at the listening position. Don't understand me wrong - that's a good standard. The lack of such a standard in the music recording and reproduction seems to be the reason why we are having problems with the music listening. Most of the music I own varies from too little bass to too much mids. I don't know if in the recent years the sound engineers have started to adopt the flat EQ response as a base. All I know is that my music that comes mostly from the 80's and the 90's does not sound right with the MCACC result. It is noticeable that concerts recorded or mastered in blu-ray do sound right with MCACC. So I ended up modifying the EQ curve and the sub level and saving it in two different memories for music listening. It was mostly about increasing the sub level, the 120Hz band and lowering the 4kHz one.

Thanks for the input. I was starting to doubt my own ears. I probably won't bother much with MCACC for music, just do a couple of manual tweaks here and there since I already enjoy it nicely "uncalibrated"
post #4325 of 5165 Old 07-28-2010, 05:58 PM

Nevermind, finally got it working. Apparently this is a common problem. I had to uninstall my current driver and install an older driver and now it works like a charm.

Trying to hook my laptop up via HDMI to my Pioneer 919 and can't get audio. The Laptop is a Dell Inspiron 1525 and is about two years old. The video part works fine. The Audio I'm trying to play is stuff like YouTube videos and the like. I can get audio to work fine via HDMI directly through my HDTV, but would rather have it come through my receiver. What don't I have turned on, or doesn't the receiver accept audio signals via a Laptop? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
post #4326 of 5165 Old 07-29-2010, 09:59 PM

Hi all,

I have a question regarding if it is possible to apply Pro Logic IIx to the DTS HD Bitstream audio. I know that the receiver does apply PLIIx to True HD and the reciever shows this (HD+Pro Logic IIx MV). Can that also happen to show DTS+Pro Logic IIx MV in the display?

I have the player set to PCM at present so that Pro Logic IIX can be applied to the PCM output of DTS HD...thus only PCM+Pro Logic IIX MV shows...can it be applied directly to the DTS HD bitstream in order to have the display show DTS+Pro Logic IIx MV in the display...I realize that this is what is happening now, just want to have the receiver display showing DTS HD (silly I know..)

My appoligies if this has been answered already, and if it has can someone direct me to the answer?

Muchly appreciated.
post #4327 of 5165 Old 07-30-2010, 05:37 PM

I just got a new TV with Viera Cast. I would like to be able to listen to the internet source on the A/V receiver. I ran the digital audio out from my Panasonic 50G25 to the TV digital in on the receiver, but I cannot seem to find a setting that plays that signal. What input should the receiver be on to play the digital audio in from the TV?

Thanks.
post #4328 of 5165 Old 07-30-2010, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centexhokie View Post

I just got a new TV with Viera Cast. I would like to be able to listen to the internet source on the A/V receiver. I ran the digital audio out from my Panasonic 50G25 to the TV digital in on the receiver, but I cannot seem to find a setting that plays that signal. What input should the receiver be on to play the digital audio in from the TV?

Thanks.

Hi Centexhokie, did you go into Tv menu and set TV Speaker to "Off"?

On the receiver Input Select should be "TV/SAT".
post #4329 of 5165 Old 07-30-2010, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi Centexhokie, did you go into Tv menu and set TV Speaker to "Off"?

On the receiver Input Select should be "TV/SAT".

I've set the TV menu to Speaker on and off and the receiver to TV/SAT with no luck. I did notice that the TV/SAT seems to only let me select Analog and I wondered if that might be the problem.

I guess it's possible that my cable could be bad, but it does have a red light on the input to the receiver. Any other ideas?

Thanks.
post #4330 of 5165 Old 07-30-2010, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've set the TV menu to Speaker on and off and the receiver to TV/SAT with no luck. I did notice that the TV/SAT seems to only let me select Analog and I wondered if that might be the problem.

I guess it's possible that my cable could be bad, but it does have a red light on the input to the receiver. Any other ideas?

Thanks.

On the receiver remote, press "Receiver" and then "Signal Sel" and cycle it to digital.

On my Panasonic Tv under Viera Link menu there is a setting for Speaker Output, try setting this to Theater (not sure if this will help).
post #4331 of 5165 Old 07-30-2010, 07:40 PM

Quote:

On the receiver remote, press "Receiver" and then "Signal Sel" and cycle it to digital.

On my Panasonic Tv under Viera Link menu there is a setting for Speaker Output, try setting this to Theater (not sure if this will help).

I set the Viera Link to Theater, no change. I can get the receiver to cycle between SIGSELDIGITAL and SIGSELAUTO, etc. but not under TV/SAT. Whenever it goes to TV/SAT it will not cycle but stays on SIGSEL ANALOG.

I've tried another cable, and I tried to use the DVD optical input to see if that made any difference. No luck. Any other ideas?

Thanks.
post #4332 of 5165 Old 07-30-2010, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I set the Viera Link to Theater, no change. I can get the receiver to cycle between SIGSELDIGITAL and SIGSELAUTO, etc. but not under TV/SAT. Whenever it goes to TV/SAT it will not cycle but stays on SIGSEL ANALOG.

I've tried another cable, and I tried to use the DVD optical input to see if that made any difference. No luck. Any other ideas?

Thanks.

I'm guess you meant DVR OPT-2.

Try this as a test, run one of your source (cable box, etc..) using optical out to receiver OPT-1 or OPT-2 and see if you get audio.

Another test, connect a source (cable box, etc...) using HDMI connection to Tv HDMI Input and see if you get audio from Tv "Digital Audio Out" to receiver. If you get audio now then maybe it can not output internet audio (just guessing here). Or try posting this question in the Plasma or G25 owners thread.
post #4333 of 5165 Old 07-31-2010, 05:46 AM

Quote:

I'm guess you meant DVR OPT-2.

Try this as a test, run one of your source (cable box, etc..) using optical out to receiver OPT-1 or OPT-2 and see if you get audio.

Another test, connect a source (cable box, etc...) using HDMI connection to Tv HDMI Input and see if you get audio from Tv "Digital Audio Out" to receiver. If you get audio now then maybe it can not output internet audio (just guessing here). Or try posting this question in the Plasma or G25 owners thread.

Thanks for the suggestions. What I discovered was the following:

1. If I take the signal directly from the DVR to the TV and use the OPT-1 to take the sound back to the receiver, I get no sound with receiver on TV/SAT which is an analog setting.

2. If I turn off the DVR and utilize a VieraCast signal (Pandora in this case) and use OPT-2 to take the sound back to the receiver, I get the sound as long as the receiver is set to DVR which is a digital setting.

Therefore my conclusions are that the TV sends out an internet sound signal. I still don't know why I can't get the receiver to take a digital signal on TV/SAT. I would still like to figure this out, but at least I have a work around using OPT-2. Any ideas on this?

You have been extremely helpful and I am appreciative of your troubleshooting skills.
post #4334 of 5165 Old 07-31-2010, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

So conclusion is that TV/SAT OPT-1 is analog and can't set it to digital. Since this input is possible tie with HDMI-CEC feature, I wonder if turning OFF Kuro Link will allow TV/SAT OPT-1 to change to digital?
post #4335 of 5165 Old 07-31-2010, 06:52 AM

Quote:

So conclusion is that TV/SAT OPT-1 is analog and can't set it to digital. Since this input is possible tie with HDMI-CEC feature, I wonder if turning OFF Kuro Link will allow TV/SAT OPT-1 to change to digital?

I figured it out. I had to go into the Receiver setup and setup the TV/SAT input to digital. Now it works. Thanks for helping with this. Now all of my content, Cable, Vieracast, and the signal from my laptop goes through the receiver.

Thanks again. By the way I am about 100 miles south of you in Woodway, TX so you helped a fellow Texan.
post #4336 of 5165 Old 07-31-2010, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Glad to help out, enjoy.
post #4337 of 5165 Old 07-31-2010, 12:48 PM

Hi -

Wonder if anyone here could help. I have a VSX-1019AH receiver and a macbook pro (2009) that I'm trying to connect via HDMI and either optical or analog audio. I've reached the point where I can get either audio, or video but not both at the same time!

Kurolink is off. I have mapped the DVR input to HDMI and Opt-1, where the macbook is connected. I get sound until I attach the HDMI cable via a dongle to the laptop, and then I see video but the audio stops. I've tried cycling through all the signal selection options but it seems like the receiver detects audio through the HDMI input (even though there is none from this model of laptop) and refuses to process any other inputs.

I have managed - once! - to get a signal from an analog connection to the DVR analog inputs but that no-longer seems to work and I'm not sure what I did to change it :/ The laptop is still generating audio when HDMI is attached - I checked this with headphones.

Any ideas? Would really appreciate the help - I'm sure this can be fixed...

Henry
post #4338 of 5165 Old 07-31-2010, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryR View Post

Hi -

Wonder if anyone here could help. I have a VSX-1019AH receiver and a macbook pro (2009) that I'm trying to connect via HDMI and either optical or analog audio. I've reached the point where I can get either audio, or video but not both at the same time!

Kurolink is off. I have mapped the DVR input to HDMI and Opt-1, where the macbook is connected. I get sound until I attach the HDMI cable via a dongle to the laptop, and then I see video but the audio stops. I've tried cycling through all the signal selection options but it seems like the receiver detects audio through the HDMI input (even though there is none from this model of laptop) and refuses to process any other inputs.

I have managed - once! - to get a signal from an analog connection to the DVR analog inputs but that no-longer seems to work and I'm not sure what I did to change it :/ The laptop is still generating audio when HDMI is attached - I checked this with headphones.

Any ideas? Would really appreciate the help - I'm sure this can be fixed...

Henry

Hi Henry, you didn't mention but in the Input Setup under DVR set "Input Skip" to ON and may also have to press 'SIGNAL SEL' on the remote to cycle to DIGITAL.
post #4339 of 5165 Old 07-31-2010, 11:38 PM

Hi guys,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, been away for work.

Quote:

Hi Aussiebrad79, go into your Tv menu setting and check if HDMI-CEC feature is turned On (Samsung HDMI-CEC feature is call AnyNet+). If this is turned On, disable this feature.

Thanks JChin, this fixed the switching inputs problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurray716 View Post

One last thing, have you run MCACC? This is critical to getting a balanced sound field from your system. See the MCACC thread on how to get the most of that program as it is really one of the big features of the avr.

I have run the MCACC a couple of times already. Haven't delved into that thread yet, but will give it a go when I next return home.

Unfortunately, I still have the following problems from my original issues. Any more ideas folks?
  1. The sound quality coming out of the PS3 when playing Blu Rays is, quite frankly, balls... Games seem to be ok, but BR's are very soft and you constantly have to keep juggling the volume level to hear conversations and then turning back down again for action. To be fair, I did have this problem with my old AVR, an Onkyo, and have not yet figured it out. It's currently set to PCM.
  2. The AVR will not pass through 1080P video. Every time I change the xbox or PS3 to 1080P output, the TV comes up with a "mode not supported" message. I thought it was the TV and had the Samsung guy out but it is definitely a receiver issue, as when the consoles are plugged directly into the TV via HDMI, both do 1080P with no problems.
  3. When playing PS3 games, there are often white flickers on the screen during dark or black screens, followed by white flickering lines and occasionally, a full screen of static. This doesn't happen all the time though and I haven't yet been able to pinpoint an apparent trigger. Recently I've started having the problem with the xbox as well. UPDATE - this problem is now getting worse in severity and happens more regularly.
  4. There is no sound when trying to view preview videos or play game demos on the xbox. Once you hit play or load a demo, the little speaker icons on the AVR's LCD go dark and you get no audio. Video is fine though. As soon as I go back to the dashboard, the speaker icons come back and audio is fine again.

Thanks again!
post #4340 of 5165 Old 08-01-2010, 12:13 AM

Hi JChin -

Certainly appreciate the help. I tried setting Input Skip to On (I misunderstood what that option was for!), with no success - I cycled through several Signal Select options.

If I set the receiver to HDMI Through, I get the optical output through the tv's speakers. When I have music playing the PCM symbol lights up on the receiver's display. It's very weird that the HDMI (from DVI) input appears to be overriding the signal no matter what signal is selected. I wonder if something with my HDMI cable or dongle might be confusing the receiver by indicating that there's audio when there in fact is none?

cheers,
Henry
post #4341 of 5165 Old 08-01-2010, 07:03 AM

Quote:

# The sound quality coming out of the PS3 when playing Blu Rays is, quite frankly, balls... Games seem to be ok, but BR's are very soft and you constantly have to keep juggling the volume level to hear conversations and then turning back down again for action. To be fair, I did have this problem with my old AVR, an Onkyo, and have not yet figured it out. It's currently set to PCM.

I have noticed that as well. I figured it's just the "dynamics" of the movie...soft quiet scenes vs loud action scenes. But the fluctuations seem more intense than they need to be.
post #4342 of 5165 Old 08-01-2010, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi JChin -

Certainly appreciate the help. I tried setting Input Skip to On (I misunderstood what that option was for!), with no success - I cycled through several Signal Select options.

If I set the receiver to HDMI Through, I get the optical output through the tv's speakers. When I have music playing the PCM symbol lights up on the receiver's display. It's very weird that the HDMI (from DVI) input appears to be overriding the signal no matter what signal is selected. I wonder if something with my HDMI cable or dongle might be confusing the receiver by indicating that there's audio when there in fact is none?

cheers,
Henry

Hmm, that should have worked. Is there any audio output setting on the macbook pro? And just to make sure the optical cable is connected to the macbook pro headphone jack, correct? Maybe try using OPT-2 instead.
post #4343 of 5165 Old 08-01-2010, 11:08 AM

Anyone that got a great EQ setting to share? i'm using a 5.0 setup. Think i'm lacking some bass. I'm Using AudioPro Black Pearl V.2 front setup with AudioPro Black Vectorl V.2 center.

Thanks!
post #4344 of 5165 Old 08-01-2010, 11:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

"sharing" someones eq settings will not help you in the slightest....

run mcacc... go from there...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #4345 of 5165 Old 08-01-2010, 01:31 PM

JChin -

Thanks - I checked and the connections are definitely made correctly. I tried OPT-2 as well, with no success.

However, if I use another HDMI source such as my cable box I can use signal select to hear optical in from my laptop while watching video from the box. So I'm thinking the problem must lie with the dongle / connection from the macbook somehow asserting that it has audio (note that I've had headphones connected to the macbook while it was doing HDMI video, so it's not the case that it stops putting sound out of the optical / analog jack when HDMI is connected). Maybe time to try another dongle...

cheers,
Henry
post #4346 of 5165 Old 08-01-2010, 06:29 PM

I used to have an LG BD 390 for my blu-ray and just got a ps3. It says that I have the newest firmware installed, but I still can't get any DTS - Master Audio. Everything is PCM.

While I'm at it with the PS3, how do I change the video output to full screen? I played a regular dvd on my xbox and it stretched to the full screen. But then I put it in the ps3 and I had the bars on the sides of the screen.

Thank you for the help, I never had any of these issues while using the LG blu-ray player.
post #4347 of 5165 Old 08-01-2010, 09:09 PM

...bah, a new dongle bought directly from Apple does nothing to help the situation. Still can't get both audio and video from my macbook

Henry
post #4348 of 5165 Old 08-02-2010, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...bah, a new dongle bought directly from Apple does nothing to help the situation. Still can't get both audio and video from my macbook

Henry

Sorry to hear that, I'm running out of idea but maybe check that the macbook pro have the lastest driver updates.
post #4349 of 5165 Old 08-02-2010, 07:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

@henry... a thought...

how are your inputs defined? for example, if you are using a defined hdmi input, you cannot do what you are trying to do (can't over-ride audio in that way)...

however, if you pick an input (i use an aux input for my mac mini) and then assign the hdmi input to it (as well as the spdif input you want to use), it should work by using the "sigsel" option on the remote...

- chris

post #4350 of 5165 Old 08-02-2010, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Henry

first off, input skip is going to do nothing for you. All that does is allow you to skip over a particular input when using the toggle inputs on the remote.

Looking over what you have posted up to now I think you are trying to do the following. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Macbook(dvi) => dvi to hdmi(video)=>avr(Hdmi1)
Macbook(optical)=>optical(audio)=>avr(ln-2)

You never indicated how your avr is connected to your tv so I will assume that you are using a hdmi as such.

avr(hdmi-out)=>hdmi=>tv(hdmi-in)

Make sure your tv input is set to the correct input (i.e., hdmi-1), or which ever one you chose to connect the hdmi to.

With this setup, and the avr set to Amp, you are getting picture, but no audio out of your speakers which are connected to your avr.

Make sure you have correctly mapped your inputs under "Input Setup" on pg 39 of your owners manual. Select the Input, whatever, but I think you said you chose DVD. Fine. Make sure Kurolink is off, as I am pretty sure you said you have already done. Now assign the digital in to whatever you plugged your optical into (Opt-1 or Opt-2), doesn't matter which one you used as long as you correctly identify it here. Now, assign the HDMI Inout to whatever HDMI input that you plugged the DVItoHDMI from your Macbook to (HDMI 1-3). Again, doesn't matter which one you use as long as you correctly identify it here.

Now when you select DVD as your input source on your avr, it will know from which input the audio and video is coming from. Use the sigsel to select "digital". If this still gives you problems, you could always patch the video from your Macbook directly into your tv if it has hdmi input, and just send the audio to the avr from your Macbook via optical.

Post back when you tried this and what results were. Thanks

Sony Bravia KDL32S3000 HDTV | Pioneer VSX-1019AH-K AVR | Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300 HDC HD Cable Box | Sony BDP-S390 BD | Harmony 700| Logitech Squeezbox Classic | Squeezebox Radio | Polk T15 (front - L/R) | Polk OWM 3 (rear) | DefTech ProCenter1000 (center) | Polk DSW Pro 400 Sub
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page