post #451 of 5166 Old 07-05-2009, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irrivirsible View Post

Considering this receiver. Volume setting aside has this got enough oomph for dynamic home theater in a small to medium room with reasonably efficient speakers and decent bass? Whether it be blure ray, regular dvd or music.

Yes, without question. It doesn't take much power to "fuel" a situation like the one you've described. If you end up with "lethargic" bass, make sure you've run MCACC, optimized location of your sub (assuming you have one) or replace it with a larger better sub or add some room treatments to assist with bass optimization.

In other words, you should be fine with this receiver but if you DO find that bass is somehow lacking, the solution is most likely going to be found in some way other than replacing the receiver.

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 5166 Old 07-05-2009, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalman4242 View Post

I really want to buy this receiver. Can someone explain from step 1 to end how to setup a PS3 so it switches the hdmi input smoothly. I heard something about turning the ps3 on first or last. No one really explained it clearly. I have a harmony remote, but it's only RF not bluetooth, some people said there harmony fixed it. I am still confused. Could someone please explain in detail how to get it to switch correctly??

I don't see what the big issue is, or why it's such a big deal.
I can turn my PS3 on and then the 1019, or vice versa, and things are just fine in my setup. You have a ton of PS3 threads going on, and there's got to be something on your setup that's causing all your weird issues, but it's not inherently the PS3/1019 combo.

Or is it that you're just freaking out because you're reading all the various informed and misinformed blog postings as opposed to actually trying it yourself? Just because it's on the internet doesn't mean it's true, or accurate.

Diane
post #453 of 5166 Old 07-05-2009, 10:34 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post

I don't see what the big issue is, or why it's such a big deal.
I can turn my PS3 on and then the 1019, or vice versa, and things are just fine in my setup. You have a ton of PS3 threads going on, and there's got to be something on your setup that's causing all your weird issues, but it's not inherently the PS3/1019 combo.

Or is it that you're just freaking out because you're reading all the various informed and misinformed blog postings as opposed to actually trying it yourself? Just because it's on the internet doesn't mean it's true, or accurate.

Diane

Sorry bro. I lost alot of my stuff in a home fire like 2 years ago, my landlord didn't reimburse me for it. I didn't have renters insurance. I just saved enough money to buy a nice receiver and I just wanted to make sure I got one that would work okay with my PS3.
post #454 of 5166 Old 07-05-2009, 11:10 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalman4242 View Post

Sorry bro. I lost alot of my stuff in a home fire like 2 years ago, my landlord didn't reimburse me for it. I didn't have renters insurance. I just saved enough money to buy a nice receiver and I just wanted to make sure I got one that would work okay with my PS3.

I just don't see why the fixation on looking for problems with the PS3 to 919/1019, it works, and quite well for most people, there really isn't a global conspiracy to hide the fact that they are secretly incompatible.
post #455 of 5166 Old 07-05-2009, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have checked all of the HDMI cables, purchased 3 new hdmi all rated at 1.3. Kuro link is turned off. This seems to be a come and go issue. It happened again a couple of times this morning then nothing for the next several hours. I have no idea, i have tried everything but it is hard to determine what would affect it since the problem appears inconsistantly
post #456 of 5166 Old 07-05-2009, 01:26 PM

I have been messing around with the 919 for awhile now and the only thing i can't seem to do is Matrix either 5.1 PCM or 5.1 DTS-HD Master to 7.1 or even 6.1 surround, i never get the back surround speakers to work. Works great with TrueHD or any other dolby audio just not the other two. Does anyone else here have the same problem or do these pioneer receivers just not have the ability to do this?
post #457 of 5166 Old 07-05-2009, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
the 1019 is warm but i can keep my hand on it without any discomfort so it isn't extremely hot. I checked all of the HDMI connectors and they aren't hot at all. Two of the HDMI cables are GE (they said 1.3 certified) 6ft from target (noticed they are silver connectors not Gold) and the other is something I can't remember.
I have had the tv on all day just looking for this to happen, occurred about 3 times during xmen on cable but none the rest of the day. Very frustrating.
post #458 of 5166 Old 07-05-2009, 03:47 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerwseguy View Post

PS3, VSX-1019, Comcast cable box, LG tv
I have had this receiver for a little over a week now and I am noticing that it loses its picture out of the blue in the middle of a program or movie.

I have experienced this issue a few times. The picture goes black but the sound stays. Lasts for about 5-10seconds then video comes back automatically. It doesnt drop the HDMI signal entirely or my TV would say 'lost source' or something. It has happened on both DVD and HDTV sources.

For me, this is a very infrequent issue and not something that greatly affects me. If it happened on a regular basis, I would consider it intolerable.
post #459 of 5166 Old 07-05-2009, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerwseguy View Post

the 1019 is warm but i can keep my hand on it without any discomfort so it isn't extremely hot. I checked all of the HDMI connectors and they aren't hot at all. Two of the HDMI cables are GE (they said 1.3 certified) 6ft from target (noticed they are silver connectors not Gold) and the other is something I can't remember.
I have had the tv on all day just looking for this to happen, occurred about 3 times during xmen on cable but none the rest of the day. Very frustrating.

How much clearance do you have on the back of the receiver? The weakest physical part of the HDMI connectivity is the actual connection point. The plugs themselves are not designed to lock into place, or to be secure. It may be that the HDMI cable is not flexible enough and may be losing connection intermittently.

You could give a bit more room (and watch the bend on the HDMI cable) or get an HDMI cable that has more flexibility) Ex: http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/...bles/index.htm
post #460 of 5166 Old 07-06-2009, 09:13 AM

I've been having the intermittent 1019 receiver problem of not powering on from Pioneer remote control or the universal remote control I also use for my Samsung HDTV and DVD player. KURU link is disabled on the Pioneer, and HDMI-CEC (Anynet+ on Samsung) are also disabled. I want to conclude, before it's too late to send back to the dealer I purchased from, that this is due to the issue gunsmoker alluded to above - "remote sensor was too sensitive and was being blacked out by the IR interference from the fluorescent backlight of the TV".

Or should I return the 1019 for a replacement - before it's too late? Everything else is working fine and I really like this receiver.
post #461 of 5166 Old 07-06-2009, 10:02 AM

Thanks, for all the insight!!! All the info provided has made my installation experience relatively easy...except for setting the video parameters. Everytime I try to access the video paramaters I get "UNAVAILABLE" accross the display. I've got my At&t Uverse Box connected via HDMI 1, with it set to TV/SAT. Is there something that I'm forgetting to do? Thanks.
post #462 of 5166 Old 07-06-2009, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eSos5 View Post

Thanks, for all the insight!!! All the info provided has made my installation experience relatively easy...except for setting the video parameters. Everytime I try to access the video paramaters I get "UNAVAILABLE" accross the display. I've got my At&t Uverse Box connected via HDMI 1, with it set to TV/SAT. Is there something that I'm forgetting to do? Thanks.

After, writing this post I went back in the posts to see if anybody had instructed on how to correct this problem, and indeed I found it. I noticed that being connected by HDMI has kept the up-scaler set at 1080p, with no option of adjusting the parameters. Once, I get home I'll swap out the cable to a component, and see if this fixes the problem.

Thanks anyways!!! Keep up the great work!!!
post #463 of 5166 Old 07-06-2009, 12:35 PM

No, haven't tried that - "assumed" Kuro Link HDMI-CEC isn't compatible with Samsung's (my HDTV), or my Phillips DVD player which also supports HDMC-CEC.
post #464 of 5166 Old 07-06-2009, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinomad View Post

I have FIOS as my tv provider and the 1019 works fine with it except for the following: when I pull up the tv Guide, it does not fill the full screen like it did before hooking up the 1019. Have the below setup.

FIOS set top -- HDMI -- 1019
1019 -- HDMI -- Samsumg 5054

Any suggestions on how to fix?

I have FIOS and never had the guide fill the screen before. I always have bars down both sides, since the guide is 4:3. I think one of the requested changes in the FIOS discussions on Verizon's site is to have a 16:9 guide.

Did you have 4:3 stretched before?
post #465 of 5166 Old 07-06-2009, 01:12 PM

Maybe I did but I do not recall stretching previously -- unless I did it by mistake -- always a possibility.
post #466 of 5166 Old 07-06-2009, 03:43 PM

When I got my 1019 I thought it would upconvert my standard dvds to 1080p. I hooked my pioneer elite dvd player up to the 1019 reveiver by component input and out from my receiver to the TV by HDMI. I didn't see any difference in picture quality.
I looked in the pioneer 1019 manual and my receiver setting for 1080 upconversion is set to auto. I also tried setting it to yes or whatever the setting was. Still no difference in picture quality.
Am I doing something wrong or does the receiver not really upconvert the signal and just a marketing ploy?
Right now I have nothing going into my 1019 receiver other than audio via fiber optic cables. I only have a DirectTV receiver and my HTPC. Both of them are going HDMI directly to my TV. I did this because I didn't see any difference in picture quality going into my receiver and then out to the TV.

TC-P50V10 Build Date: April 2009
A-Board replaced on 1/4/2010 w/1.24, updated to 1.28.
Current 0% IRE: 0.034FtL
My SM Factory Numbers
Putting the 50V10 downstairs. Bought a new Elite 101FD
post #467 of 5166 Old 07-06-2009, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackal2001 View Post

When I got my 1019 I thought it would upconvert my standard dvds to 1080p. I hooked my pioneer elite dvd player up to the 1019 reveiver by component input and out from my receiver to the TV by HDMI. I didn't see any difference in picture quality.
I looked in the pioneer 1019 manual and my receiver setting for 1080 upconversion is set to auto. I also tried setting it to yes or whatever the setting was. Still no difference in picture quality.
Am I doing something wrong or does the receiver not really upconvert the signal and just a marketing ploy?
Right now I have nothing going into my 1019 receiver other than audio via fiber optic cables. I only have a DirectTV receiver and my HTPC. Both of them are going HDMI directly to my TV. I did this because I didn't see any difference in picture quality going into my receiver and then out to the TV.

What is your DVD player set to output? If it is 480p then the 1019 should upconvert that to 1080p if you configured that in the Video Parameter menu. If your DVD player is outputting 720p or 1080i then the 1019 won't do anything with those signals - it will pass them through as is.

Why not just let your TV do it? Generally speaking, most HDTVs will do a better job upconverting than any AVR. There are exceptions, especially for older TVs so it is worth playing around to see what works best for you.
post #468 of 5166 Old 07-06-2009, 08:20 PM

Quote:

What exactly are you expecting to see? Up converting 480p video to 1080p is not going to magically make it look like a Blue Ray. The only reason to have your receiver up convert your DVD's, is if your TV doesn't do a very good job of it.
post #469 of 5166 Old 07-07-2009, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aross99 View Post

What exactly are you expecting to see? Up converting 480p video to 1080p is not going to magically make it look like a Blue Ray. The only reason to have your receiver up convert your DVD's, is if your TV doesn't do a very good job of it.

Like I said, I didn't see any difference, so I was wondering why they even advertise it. I don't know. It is my first experience with a receiver that has HDMI on it.
I don't have a stand alone bluray player, but a lot of those also advertise 1080p upconversions from standard dvds as well. Do they do the same thing? Only advertise it and not actually do anything that you can see???

I'm just curious.

My SM Factory Numbers
post #470 of 5166 Old 07-07-2009, 06:41 AM

Can this receiver's firmware be updated like denon and yamaha receivers?
post #471 of 5166 Old 07-07-2009, 06:42 AM

Quote:

Like I said, I didn't see any difference, so I was wondering why they even advertise it. I don't know. It is my first experience with a receiver that has HDMI on it.
I don't have a stand alone bluray player, but a lot of those also advertise 1080p upconversions from standard dvds as well. Do they do the same thing? Only advertise it and not actually do anything that you can see???

I'm just curious.

Unless it's just my eyes. I bought a Oppo dvd player, about the best you can get for upconverting, and I still cant see a difference.
post #472 of 5166 Old 07-07-2009, 07:17 AM

Quote:

I'm just curious.

My thought is that this feature is really only of value if you don't have a decent TV.

I think it is really over rated...
post #473 of 5166 Old 07-07-2009, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalman42 View Post

Can this receiver's firmware be updated like denon and yamaha receivers?

Good question!

-
Rodrigues
post #474 of 5166 Old 07-07-2009, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:

.......I don't have a stand alone bluray player, but a lot of those also advertise 1080p upconversions from standard dvds as well. Do they do the same thing? Only advertise it and not actually do anything that you can see???

I'm just curious.

Welcome to the world of marketing. Promises of wonder and grandeur, lots of disappointment.

Basically what has already been stated, i.e., you're not often going to notice a difference unless one device is significantly better than another at performing the upscaling. And that's just it.. most devices will do a comparable job at upscaling; no matter whether the receiver, blu-ray player or tv does the upscaling. Doesn't matter which, they'll all usually look about the same when performing this upscaling task, unless one of those three devices is garbage relative to the others.

Of course the closer you sit and the bigger your tv and the more discerning your eyes might reveal subtle differences between each. If you have a 40"-ish tv and you're seating 10ft.+ away, probably won't matter much even if one of those upscaling devices is significantly better than another.

Best thing to do is try letting each do the upscaling and see if one does it better than the others. If they all look about the same, just choose the easiest most convenient way for you, if there is one.

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #475 of 5166 Old 07-07-2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigues_Brazil View Post

Good question!

Hmm, no one is responding, guess that means no, thats pretty bad.
post #476 of 5166 Old 07-07-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalman42 View Post

Hmm, no one is responding, guess that means no, thats pretty bad.

or none of us have any experience with it
post #477 of 5166 Old 07-07-2009, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm just curious.

The video chip in the 1019 is the Faroudja chip, which was the state of the art as of two or three years ago. The electronic world proceeds apace, so the new chips that are out now (OPPO BDP-83 Blueray player and Denon 1910 AVR both using the ABT chip comes to mind) are better.

The upconversion from dedicated devices, like vanilla DVD players that can do upscaling to 1080p, or high quality HDTV's are bound to be better than a general purpose device that is mostly geared to do sound processing, as the 1019. I think that the 1019 does a good job at upconversion, but there are others that do better in the video chain.

Even when the 1019's upconversion is better, the difference may not be enough to merit notice. If you're used to a $70 DVD player that does a mediocre job of upconversion, the 1019 may do it much better, but not to the degree that we'd pay an extra $300 just for that.

It is also dependent on what you are viewing it on. If you have a smaller screen (42" or below), the difference may not be that visible, since any kind of upscaling will be pretty good. Even 480p will look good. The other effects of good upscaling (color, etc.) may make a difference here, but again, in a smaller screen, the difference may not make much difference to you. On a larger display, the better processing both of the chip and the software that a good company comes into play. People who have larger displays or projectors really benefit.

I have a middling display (47" first generatio Vizio 1080p) that does benefit from upscaling (I have an HD-A35 that does this well), but the latter versions of Vizios may be better at this. I know that now the reigning king of upconversion is OPPO, so I am awaiting my BDP-83 for blueray and upscaling.

When I bought the 1019, the upscaling was not important to me. The only thing that could benefit from it is my wii game box - the most important was good sound processing, especially the advanced codecs from Blueray and HD-DVD (True-HD, DTS-HD-MA).

The important thing, I think is to pick what you value. I could live without any upconversion in the 1019, but it is part of the package, so....
post #478 of 5166 Old 07-07-2009, 01:51 PM

I got a brand new Panasonic 50" V10 plasma and got the 1019 to go along with it. My old receiver was a pioneer 608 so that lasted me 10 years. Like I said, I see 1080p upconversion all over the place, but I guess it is misleading.

My SM Factory Numbers
post #479 of 5166 Old 07-07-2009, 02:53 PM

I am new to the av world and need some advice. I just bought a Pioneer 111 and need a receiver and speaker setup. I want to be able to use the speakers that came with the tv some of the time. Mainly so it will be easy for others to watch the tv and not mess around with the tv or av equipment.. I have a dish 722 satellite receiver and that turns on the tv. I have read this entire thread and just starting to pick up on the technical jargon. There was some discussion about pass thru sound.
I quess my question is will the Pioneer 1019 be the best receiver for me or should I be looking at something else. I thought since I had a Pioneer tv is would make things easier.
post #480 of 5166 Old 07-07-2009, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newriver99 View Post

I am new to the av world and need some advice. I just bought a Pioneer 111 and need a receiver and speaker setup. I want to be able to use the speakers that came with the tv some of the time. Mainly so it will be easy for others to watch the tv and not mess around with the tv or av equipment.. I have a dish 722 satellite receiver and that turns on the tv. I have read this entire thread and just starting to pick up on the technical jargon. There was some discussion about pass thru sound.
I quess my question is will the Pioneer 1019 be the best receiver for me or should I be looking at something else. I thought since I had a Pioneer tv is would make things easier.

I guess you can take a couple of routes:

1. Strip the system down so you can use the TV without the AVR involved (using the TV speakers only).

You can do this either by using the "THROUGH" option, but this still requires you to turn the AVR on, or by using two connections: one to the TV directly from the satellite receiver, then a second from the satellite to the AVR. The second bypasses the AVR entirely, but would require one connection (HDMI?) to the receiver and a second (component?) to the TV.

2. Simplify the management of the entire setup so that it's easy for anyone in your household to use. I've done this by using a reasonably priced Universal remote. I have several people in my house who want nothing to do but push a button and watch TV. I bought several Logitech Harmony 670's refurbished and set them up (easy) for three different areas in the house. Now all can use these to do what they want with one or two buttons.

I prefer the second, since you get full use of your system without any hassle.
Universal remotes are the magic bullet in AVS, in my opinion.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page