post #4801 of 5152 Old 11-01-2011, 10:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzupeman View Post

Just wanted to clarify something and share my findings:

The Pulp Fiction blu disc has an audio calibration thing on it. I remove my rear speakers, told the receiver I no longer had the surrounds (which is a vital step for this), and wallah... the sounds that were being shown as rear sounds in the 5.1 test were playing through the front speakers. So they will mix up to the front. Just make sure you program the receiver to know you only have thw front speakers though... as opposed to merely disconnecting your rear speakers from the unit physically. It doesnt know if the speakers are in or not so if you leave the setup programmed for 5.1, its still going to route sounds to the back.

yeah, by why would you want to? The whole idea of the rear surround channel is to provide delayed audio signal to create an effect. If the sound is just sent to the fronts, then the effect is not achieved. But if you like it that way, I guess that's all that matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by machineghost View Post

First off, thanks to both of you for taking the time to help. As bmurray716 suggested, I did have kuro link on, so I disabled that. However, I'm still stuck.

Currently I have the video output of the computer going in to HDMI 1 on the receiver, while I have the audio (which is just a mini-phono => ... whatever those red and white cables are called ... RCA?) plugged in to DVD on the receiver. Both of them work if I switch to their respective inputs (ie. I can see video when I have it on HDMI 1, and I can hear audio when I put it on DVD).

However, despite doing my best to play with MCACC, signal selection, and input setup, I'm still stuck. 4b.Input Setup seems like the right way to do this, but:

A) When I try and configure the HDMI 1 input, the bottom three options are unreachable
B) When I try to configure the DVD input, I can change the HDMI Input line to Input-1, and then I do get video when I'm on DVD ... but I no longer get audio. I tried every value for the other two lines (Digital In and Component In), but no matter what I set them to I still don't get audio.

So, as before, any (further) help anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated.

sounds like your option B) has you almost there. Don't worry about the Digital In and Component In lines; leave them alone as that is not where your audio is comming in. But because you have the HDMI Input set to HDMI-1, it is looking for the audio from there as well as the video. You have to use sigsel to change the the audio to Analog. Use your Pioneer remote and hit the Receiver button (lower right) and then the number 4 a couple times till the diplay indicates "analog". You should then have picture and sound.

Sony Bravia KDL32S3000 HDTV | Pioneer VSX-1019AH-K AVR | Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300 HDC HD Cable Box | Sony BDP-S390 BD | Harmony 700| Logitech Squeezbox Classic | Squeezebox Radio | Polk T15 (front - L/R) | Polk OWM 3 (rear) | DefTech ProCenter1000 (center) | Polk DSW Pro 400 Sub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4802 of 5152 Old 11-01-2011, 07:55 PM

First off, thanks again bmurray716 and nikknightt; while you didn't directly solve my issue, your suggestions led to me finally figuring out the problem.

As it turned out, my computer's graphics card was sending some sort of audio signal through the DVI port ... or at least that's what I think must have been happening, because when I switched to using the motherboard graphics card (and disabled Kuro link and customized my inputs, as suggested) I finally had both video and sound! Thanks AVS forum!
post #4803 of 5152 Old 11-03-2011, 07:03 AM

^^^
Your welcome and glad to hear it. Enjoy!

Sony Bravia KDL32S3000 HDTV | Pioneer VSX-1019AH-K AVR | Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300 HDC HD Cable Box | Sony BDP-S390 BD | Harmony 700| Logitech Squeezbox Classic | Squeezebox Radio | Polk T15 (front - L/R) | Polk OWM 3 (rear) | DefTech ProCenter1000 (center) | Polk DSW Pro 400 Sub
post #4804 of 5152 Old 11-03-2011, 08:29 PM

Ok, after all that I'm now ready to throw out the receiver, over the stupidest of things ... but I'm hoping maybe someone can help me (again). My problem is this: if I hook up the HDMI to the DVD input then I have one less input to use (and I need all of them). So I hooked up the HDMI to the multi-channel input, and that works great (plus it will be even better once I have more than two speakers, which I intend to add soon)

... except that the remote that came with the receiver has no button for the multi-channel input. It has a row of 11 buttons, with a space for the multi-channel input button, but no such button.

So my question is, before I have to shell out for a new receiver, is there any way to:

A) magically go to the multi-channel input using a button I somehow missed
B) re-configure the remote to use one of the other input buttons for multi-channel
C) buy a universal remote and somehow configure it to select multi-channel
?

This seems so basic I can't understand how Pioneer didn't think of it ....
post #4805 of 5152 Old 11-04-2011, 01:24 PM

A) No. You didn't miss anything. The Pio remoted does not have a single button to select the Multi Channel Analog Input

B) Can't do that. The only way to select the Multichannel Input with the Pio remote is to use the Input Select button. Keep pushing till you get to Multichannel Input. You can also do this from the front pannel.

C) Yes. I use the Harmony 700, but most of the Harmony remotes allow you to automatically go to the Mutichannel Input. Basically the Harmony gives you the ability to press one button for an activity (i.e., watch tv) and it does all the rest (powers on the components needed for that activity, sets the correct input for each component, etc.). Highly recommended.

post #4806 of 5152 Old 11-06-2011, 12:45 PM

bmurray716 you seriously rock; a new Harmony remote is going to be a lot cheaper than a new receiver. Thanks again!
post #4807 of 5152 Old 11-09-2011, 01:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I have the 919AH paired up with a Panasonic BD-65. My speaker configuration is 5.1. I never have seen the XC (Back Center) channel indicator light up until just recently purchasing the BD-65 and playing Star Wars Ep III BD.

I looked at my settings on the BD65 and I dont see how or why that XC indicator is lit up.

Does anyone know why this would be on?
Is this a reduction in sound quality for me since I dont have that center channel (are my surrounds getting robbed of any audio signal or any other speakers)?

Edit: I am playing the DTS HD track from Star Wars and am feeding the signal as Bitstream over HDMI.
post #4808 of 5152 Old 11-09-2011, 06:37 AM

^^
Those are the status indicators of the signals going into your receiver, not what is being output. Should not be a reduction in sound quality afaik. All of your speakers (5.1) are being fed the signals that are intended for them. As you have no sixth rear speaker, that signal just doesn't go anywhere.

post #4809 of 5152 Old 11-09-2011, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurray716 View Post

^^
Those are the status indicators of the signals going into your receiver, not what is being output. Should not be a reduction in sound quality afaik. All of your speakers (5.1) are being fed the signals that are intended for them. As you have no sixth rear speaker, that signal just doesn't go anywhere.

Thanks!
post #4810 of 5152 Old 11-11-2011, 07:08 AM

About 2 weeks ago I added the BDP-430 to my 1019 and doesn't matter what play from CD to BD, NO PQLS at all.
It's already enabled on the receiver by puting PQLS to auto but nothing changes. Please help
post #4811 of 5152 Old 11-11-2011, 07:33 AM

So I'm having an issue with my receiver and I'm wondering if I'm the only one, and if maybe someone out there might have a solution - before I pull my hair out.

I have an HTPC hooked up to my reciever via HDMI. On the HTPC I'm using a special cut of XBMC to play movies with full HD audio. My problem is that when the movie plays, my reciever constantly switches between PCM (not desired) and HD-MA, and outputs no sound at all. True HD works fine, but no HD-MA. Also, I can use other software players (PowerDVD) and it plays HD-MA just fine. I'd just rather not have to use an external player with XBMC.

I've even gone so far as to use an Nvidia graphics card to bitstream the audio instead of my i5 processor, but the same thing happens.

Yes this is a special cut of XBMC and, at first, I just chalked the problem up to a software glitch. But I've discovered that there are indeed many folks out there that have this working flawlessly. And I've also heard that this is most likely an issue with my Pioneer 919.

Has anyone out there run into this issue? And if so, did you solve the problem?

I'd love to hear from anyone on this.

Thanks so much!
post #4812 of 5152 Old 11-13-2011, 04:32 AM

hi

i have a question, i own a pioneer 919. Is it possible to get on screen (on my tv) volume control cause my receiver would take place in a closet.

thx
post #4813 of 5152 Old 11-14-2011, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehrdadr View Post

About 2 weeks ago I added the BDP-430 to my 1019 and doesn't matter what play from CD to BD, NO PQLS at all.
It's already enabled on the receiver by puting PQLS to auto but nothing changes. Please help

You have to have Kuro Link enabled as well as have them connected via hdmi. you may also have to enable kuro link and pqls on the bdp-430 (check manual).

Quote:
Originally Posted by skank View Post

hi

i have a question, i own a pioneer 919. Is it possible to get on screen (on my tv) volume control cause my receiver would take place in a closet.

thx

nope

post #4814 of 5152 Old 11-20-2011, 07:13 AM

Hi Everyone, been a long time lurker but I need your help now. My wife and I were watching a bluray the other night via the PS3 and she commented that the picture quality didn't seem that much better than a DVD. I thought about it and I did an experiment, I unplugged the PS3 hdmi cable from the AVR and plugged it directly into the TV...the picture was at least 10x more clear...what I would have expected from a bluray.

I've searched the thread for anyone else noticing this but haven't found anything. At first I thought it might be the video upscaling but it seems that doesn't apply to hdmi inputs based on my search. Has anyone experienced this before?

Current Setup:
55" Samsung 1080p 120Hz LED
Pioneer 1019 AVR
PS3 (BD HDMI)
Xbox 360 (HDMI 2)
Uverse cable box (HDMI 3)
Wii (Component Video)

Why is the video quality so much better when I connect my components directly to the TV via HDMI than running through the AVR via HDMI? Thanks in advance for your help! :-)
post #4815 of 5152 Old 11-21-2011, 06:24 AM

Quote:

You have to have Kuro Link enabled as well as have them connected via hdmi. you may also have to enable kuro link and pqls on the bdp-430 (check manual).

nope

Well, I have done them all! Kuro link is enabled on 1019 and PQLS on the BDP-430!! Also there is no other connection than the HDMI however the cable is marked as HDMI 1.3 high speed. Could the cable be the problem?
On the other side the 1019 itself supports 1.3 not 1.4 so I don't know what else should I do!!!
post #4816 of 5152 Old 11-21-2011, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blmartin View Post

Hi Everyone, been a long time lurker but I need your help now. My wife and I were watching a bluray the other night via the PS3 and she commented that the picture quality didn't seem that much better than a DVD. I thought about it and I did an experiment, I unplugged the PS3 hdmi cable from the AVR and plugged it directly into the TV...the picture was at least 10x more clear...what I would have expected from a bluray.

I've searched the thread for anyone else noticing this but haven't found anything. At first I thought it might be the video upscaling but it seems that doesn't apply to hdmi inputs based on my search. Has anyone experienced this before?

Current Setup:
55" Samsung 1080p 120Hz LED
Pioneer 1019 AVR
PS3 (BD HDMI)
Xbox 360 (HDMI 2)
Uverse cable box (HDMI 3)
Wii (Component Video)

Why is the video quality so much better when I connect my components directly to the TV via HDMI than running through the AVR via HDMI? Thanks in advance for your help! :-)

Try setting the V. Conv. to "off" under Video Options. Just a thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehrdadr View Post

Well, I have done them all! Kuro link is enabled on 1019 and PQLS on the BDP-430!! Also there is no other connection than the HDMI however the cable is marked as HDMI 1.3 high speed. Could the cable be the problem?
On the other side the 1019 itself supports 1.3 not 1.4 so I don't know what else should I do!!!

Ususlly the hdmi standard is backward compatible, but I don't know that for sure. Other than enabling Kuro Link and PQLS on both ends and connecting with hdmi, I don't know what else to suggest as I don't use that function myself. Maybey someone else on the forum could offer a suggestion, but I have notice that this thread has slowed down considerably as of late.

post #4817 of 5152 Old 11-22-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:

Try setting the V. Conv. to "off" under Video Options. Just a thought.

Thanks bmurray. I've tried scrolling through the available video parameters/options while on the input connected to the PS3 and this isn't a setting that appears in the list. I thought I had read that v. conv. doesn't apply to hdmi inputs. Anyone confirm what I read?
post #4818 of 5152 Old 11-26-2011, 02:57 PM

Does anyone know where to find a current firmware update for the VSX1019AHK? Thanks.
post #4819 of 5152 Old 12-01-2011, 06:06 AM

^^^
This was answered a few pages back.

Go here
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=20684651

post #4820 of 5152 Old 12-03-2011, 04:00 PM

I have a question and I apologize if it has been asked before. Just got the lg 55lw5600 and want to update to a 3d Blu-Ray player and don't necessarily want a dual hdmi player as the 1019ah does not support 3d (want to keep operation as simple as possible for kids and fiancee). I also don't want to update the receiver as it is less than 18 months old. I have watched some 3d from Comcast through the receiver and seems to work fine. So the question is whether the receiver will pass the 3d content from a 3d player. Thanks for your help.
post #4821 of 5152 Old 12-04-2011, 11:03 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pats & Sox fan View Post

I have a question and I apologize if it has been asked before. Just got the lg 55lw5600 and want to update to a 3d Blu-Ray player and don't necessarily want a dual hdmi player as the 1019ah does not support 3d (want to keep operation as simple as possible for kids and fiancee). I also don't want to update the receiver as it is less than 18 months old. I have watched some 3d from Comcast through the receiver and seems to work fine. So the question is whether the receiver will pass the 3d content from a 3d player. Thanks for your help.

It will not pass 3D, as HDMI 1.4 is required for this to work. Fortunately, there is a workaround with a 3D player with dual HDMI output to bypass the AVR for video.
post #4822 of 5152 Old 12-05-2011, 04:36 PM

Thanks for the response. I was hoping not to go that route to simplify operation, but can do that. My question is why will it pass 3d content from Comcast HD box (lower resolution?)?

Thanks
post #4823 of 5152 Old 12-05-2011, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pats & Sox fan View Post

Thanks for the response. I was hoping not to go that route to simplify operation, but can do that. My question is why will it pass 3d content from Comcast HD box (lower resolution?)?

Thanks

Are you referring to SBS (side-by-side) material? If that is the case, I would suppose that it would pass it, as it is just like any video signal from the cable box. You should set your TV in 3D SBS and see what happens. Good luck.
post #4824 of 5152 Old 12-07-2011, 12:03 PM

Currently have a 5.1 set-up:
- Front L, C, R and 2 Surround Back/rear speakers

Just noticed last night that I had hooked-up my rear surround speakers cables into "Surround L & R" in back of receiver. Not sure who did it, anyways i moved them to Surround Back.

Now, when i launch the MCAAC for a manual set-up (too lazy to hook-up mic and do auto-set-up), under Manual SP list i see the following options:
1. Front L, R and C set to "Small" - expected with satellite speakers
2. Now, I see a "Surr" setting set to 'Small' and "SurrB" set to 'No'.

So, with the new set-up (cables hooked to SurrB), I set Surr to NO, but now it won't let me set SurrB to Small. I don't get the option, it's greyed out.

Do we have to set Surr to Small and SurrB to Small x2 even if its a 5.1 setting?

Thx!
post #4825 of 5152 Old 12-07-2011, 01:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
^^^

you can't have backs without surrounds.... those come first...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #4826 of 5152 Old 12-07-2011, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^

you can't have backs without surrounds.... those come first...

Thx! I feel like a complete 'tard now
post #4827 of 5152 Old 12-09-2011, 06:30 AM

Undertandable but we've all been there. Error is similar to many others connecting their sub to the multi-channel in sub connection instead of the sub pre out and wondering why nothing is coming out of it. glad you got it straightened out

post #4828 of 5152 Old 12-09-2011, 07:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

I know someone who might have done that... more than once...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #4829 of 5152 Old 12-11-2011, 07:55 AM

Question first:

Is there a simple way to toggle speaker B on? Preferably by remote so I can program my Harmony 700, but at least on the front panel? My quick and dirty fix of plucking out one RCA lead from each outside speaker to kill the sound is not a long-term workaround.

Now context:
Through trial, error, cursing and more error I have finally gotten my speakers set up pretty much how I want:

5.1 sound in my living room -- for movies and music
2.0 sound on my deck (using Speaker B to play the same source as in LR) -- for music

Where I'm stuck is in being able to easily toggle off the deck sound when I'm not out there. As it is now, my neighbors will hear the 2.0 down mix of whatever I'm watching inside. They probably won't mind when I'm watching Kieslowski, but when "America, F*ck Yeah" comes on during Team America... Uh, well...

Much thanks in advance, folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by egr13 View Post

I'm fairly sure that, at least when they wrote the user's manual, the pre-outs were supposed to carry audio when in the "Speaker B" setting. Might not have made it into the actual receiver design though...or a copy/paste typo....
From P. 69 of the UM:

Switching the speaker system
If you selected Speaker B in Surround back
speaker setting on page 94, three speaker
system settings are possible using SPEAKERS.
If you selected Normal, Front Bi-Amp or
ZONE 2, the button will simply switch your
main speaker system on or off. The options
below are for the Speaker B setting only.

o Use SPEAKERS on the front panel to
select a speaker system setting.
As mentioned above, if you have selected
Normal, the button will simply switch your
main speaker system (A) on or off.

Press repeatedly to choose a speaker system
option:

o SP?A - Sound is output from speaker system A and the same signal is output from the pre-out terminals.
o SP?B - Sound is output from the two speakers connected to speaker system B. Multichannel sources will not be heard. The same signal is output from the surround back channel pre-out terminals.
o SP?AB - Sound is output from speaker system A (up to 5 channels, depending on the source), the two speakers in speaker system B, and the subwoofer. The sound from speaker system B will be the same as the sound from speaker system A (multichannel sources will be down mixed to 2 channels).
o SP? (off) - No sound is output from the speakers. The same sound is output from the pre-out terminals (including from your subwoofer, if connected) as when selecting speaker system A (above).

Dunno....would love for it to work as advertised....

post #4830 of 5152 Old 12-11-2011, 09:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

no, there is no ir command to do what you want...

- chris

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page