AVS Forum banner

The "Official" Pioneer VSX-1019AH Owner's Thread

751K views 5K replies 906 participants last post by  bmurray716 
#1 ·
This unit has been available for a month or two but I haven't seen a thread for it yet, so here we are.

From the Pioneer website:

This hub for your home entertainment center allows you to enjoy your favorite movies on Blu-ray Disc®, DVD or VHS on your flat-panel television like never before. With standard features that include a phenomenal ability to upscale and convert analog video signals to1080p when transmitted through HDMI® to your high definition television, the VSX-1019AH-K's video scaler presents you with nothing but the best quality possible today - regardless of what video source it receives.

And as portable audio devices are now becoming a primary source of entertainment, it's also why the VSX-1019AH-K is Works with iPhone® certified. With this certification comes a myriad of benefits for enjoying your iPhone on the VSX-1019AH-K: easy connectivity with the front USB port and included cable - even charging the device while connected; music and movies are automatically muted with incoming calls (no longer requiring you to put the phone in Airplane Mode); compressed music files are greatly enhanced by Pioneer's exclusive Advanced Sound Retriever technology; Auto Level Control maintains a consistent volume from to song to song and all this control is still possible from the palm of your hand through the iPhone® itself or the VSX-1019AH-K's remote.

Add the VSX-1019-AH-K's brand new color Graphical User Interface (GUI) and the ability for 2nd zone A/V distribution, and enjoying a Blu-ray Disc movie in the living room while someone else scrolls through iTunes® album art while listening to music in a bedroom is all but effortless.

But the benefits certainly don't stop there. With 4 HDMI inputs and 2 component video inputs the potential to expand your HD entertainment experience even further is not only a dream come true but also a technical reality.

See less See more
#4,009 ·
also, keep something in mind...

you aren't necessarily going to increase the spl a lot at the frequencies you were already getting out of your old sub... what your new sub will primarily do is extend the frequency range (and hopefully be more linear across it)...

#4,011 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddysnake /forum/post/18598752

Does anyone use the EQ Professional and Advanced EQ in MCACC? I've had this receiver since November and just realized that I've never messed around with anything past the Auto MCACC. I'm looking at the guide in the MCACC thread and it has me completely lost, I'm not even sure if that's the same process for the 1019?

I finally updated my speakers and have a new sub, so I figured it would be wise to get the most out of this, but I'm completely 100% lost on this. If it wouldn't be a problem, could anyone explain the exact process you use with the 1019/919 and MCACC past the regualar MCACC (sound level, distance, crossover) I'm trying to follow the instructions on the 1st page and it's not helping... I realize this is asking a lot, but I'd really appreciate any help I could get!

Thanks

I tried to but like you got lost. I ended up having ChadB come out and calibrate everything. It definitely helps when you have someone come out who knows what they are doing. I couldn't be happier with the outcome. It does make a big difference when you get things dialed in correctly

#4,012 ·
Hey all,

I've been lurking for awhile. I have bought the pio 1019 recently and must say she is a welcome addition. I'm not new to the ht experience. I just never payed so much attention to detail. I Had an hk 254 and she was nice. Gui was better than my 1019 and the sound was warm, I thought. She then went down for unknown reason and I sent her back, hk would not honor the warrenty. But I got a check from them for her cost. I was supprised as all get out. Now I'm researching and find this site amazingly helpfull. Just thought a small intro was in order. My question is about cross overs. My front speakers are old fishers. The woofers are like 10 " the mids are lke 4" and tweets are like 2". My center is sony and so are the rears. The center and rears are new and 8 ohms the fishers are also 8 ohms. How should my crossovers be set. I have no sub as of yet. Not sure what to buy on a 300 dollar budget. I come to 300 due to fact I don't feel like I need to spend more fo a room that is roughly 22 by 18. And I gaurentee the sound field is really messed up as most family rooms are a complete nightmare. My floor is wood by the way. Thanks for all the giudance in advance.

#4,013 ·
I have a sound question.

My HD DVR is connected to the VSX-1019AH-K via a HDMI cable. There are no other cables connected between the DVR and the VSX-1019AH-K.

When the DVR is switched between channels broadcasting digital programs (digital format indicator on the VSX-1019AH-K's front display shows digital) there is no sound problem.

If I switch to a channel on the DVR and that program results in the digital format indicator on the VSX-1019AH-K's front panel to be blank then there is no sound just the picture.

To remedy the sound loss I switch the VSX-1019AH-K away from the DVR input source and then back again and then there is sound.

Is there a way to always have sound without having to switch the VSX-1019AH-K away and then back ?

#4,015 ·
^^^^

When you are listening to a 5.1 source, you have six speakers putting out sound. When you listen to a 2-channel source, you only have two speakers putting out sound. Guess which one sounds louder?

Yes, it is normal.

#4,016 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtmedic /forum/post/18607142

Hey all,

I've been lurking for awhile. I have bought the pio 1019 recently and must say she is a welcome addition. I'm not new to the ht experience. I just never payed so much attention to detail. I Had an hk 254 and she was nice. Gui was better than my 1019 and the sound was warm, I thought. She then went down for unknown reason and I sent her back, hk would not honor the warrenty. But I got a check from them for her cost. I was supprised as all get out. Now I'm researching and find this site amazingly helpfull. Just thought a small intro was in order. My question is about cross overs. My front speakers are old fishers. The woofers are like 10 " the mids are lke 4" and tweets are like 2". My center is sony and so are the rears. The center and rears are new and 8 ohms the fishers are also 8 ohms. How should my crossovers be set. I have no sub as of yet. Not sure what to buy on a 300 dollar budget. I come to 300 due to fact I don't feel like I need to spend more fo a room that is roughly 22 by 18. And I gaurentee the sound field is really messed up as most family rooms are a complete nightmare. My floor is wood by the way. Thanks for all the giudance in advance.

On the sub, I'd go to the subs forum for some guidance for that price range, but IMO, depending on the use (%HT, %music, gaming...) there are some good choices you could get. I'd look at the HSU stf-2 , the elemental designs as3-250 or the premier acoustics PA-120 . The PA is the most economical, the ED or HSU are better overall, but more expensive.

You want to provide us with the frequency range for your speakers. In particular the new center and surrounds. The crossover will be determined mostly by those, since I assume your older speakers are full range. Most of the dialogue will be carried by your center speaker, so that needs to be supported the most.

As to the sound field, running MCACC will go a long ways to overcoming that, but you can do some things. Bare wood floors are the nemesis to good sound, most particularly for sub frequencies, so one thing that may help is some good area rugs if that's a possibility.

#4,018 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by alejopelaez /forum/post/18610725

Lately when I'm watching TV the sound drops for a second and the receiver will show Dial Norm and a number on the screen.

Does anyone else have this? How can I turn it off? I was watching ESPN this morning and it happened like 4 times in a couple of minutes. It is very annoying.

This is a source problem, not receiver.

#4,019 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by alejopelaez /forum/post/18610725

Lately when I'm watching TV the sound drops for a second and the receiver will show Dial Norm and a number on the screen.

Does anyone else have this? How can I turn it off? I was watching ESPN this morning and it happened like 4 times in a couple of minutes. It is very annoying.

I guess what its telling you is to raise the volume level to whatever the number its displaying to get it back to calibrated reference level.

#4,020 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcheng122 /forum/post/18610803

This is a source problem, not receiver.

correct, or cabling, or something that is causing it to lose the audio sync...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin /forum/post/18610948

I guess what its telling you is to raise the volume level to whatever the number its displaying to get it back to calibrated reference level.

nope, that's not what dial norm is...

#4,021 ·
Can anyone suggest how I adjust the EQ, because it still sounds bright to me. With 0-20 ms for accoustic cal eq with symmetry settings:

Cross over @ 150 because my satellites for 3' inch

Fronts : 125 /250/500/1k/2k/4k/8k/16k/TRIM

0 /+6 /-2.5/-6/-3/-0.5/0/+2/+5

Center: 125/250/500/1k/2k/4k/8k/16k/TRIM

-2.5/-5/-2/0/2/-0.5/3/2

Surround: 125 /250/500/1k/2k/4k/8k/16k/TRIM

-6.5/0.5/1.5/1/-3/1.5/1.5/-0.5

#4,022 ·
To anyone with a TivoHD connected via HDMI:

When I switch from a digital TV channel, to a recording that was not on a digital channel, I do not get any sound. I have to cycle the inputs on the receiver. I've tried also hooking up a toslink cable, but that doesn't help. Has anyone else noticed this ?

#4,023 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPopely /forum/post/18608331

I have a sound question.

My HD DVR is connected to the VSX-1019AH-K via a HDMI cable. There are no other cables connected between the DVR and the VSX-1019AH-K.

When the DVR is switched between channels broadcasting digital programs (digital format indicator on the VSX-1019AH-K's front display shows digital) there is no sound problem.

If I switch to a channel on the DVR and that program results in the digital format indicator on the VSX-1019AH-K's front panel to be blank then there is no sound just the picture.

To remedy the sound loss I switch the VSX-1019AH-K away from the DVR input source and then back again and then there is sound.

Is there a way to always have sound without having to switch the VSX-1019AH-K away and then back ?

I just posted the same problem. Have you gotten a solution yet ?

#4,024 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin /forum/post/18610948

Yea but I get a drop off on sound and I don't think this was happening before. So when I was watching and it happened, I re winded to see if it would happen again and it happens at the same place??

Any solutions on how to turn this off. I don't care if it adjusts the volume but the drop off every time it does it is annoying.

#4,027 ·
Maybe a firmware update will help!

If you are willing to do it on your own risk!

Contact me via PM!

#4,028 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hkan /forum/post/18614609

Maybe a firmware update will help!

If you are willing to do it on your own risk!

Contact me via PM!

The firmware update seems to have worked! I upgraded my 919 last night, and played around with the receiver for about 15 mins afterwards. I was not able to reproduce the problem. I'll try some more tests tonight.

#4,029 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarBowl /forum/post/18620762

The firmware update seems to have worked! I upgraded my 919 last night, and played around with the receiver for about 15 mins afterwards. I was not able to reproduce the problem. I'll try some more tests tonight.

Whoa. Are you saying you did your own firmware upgrade? I though these receivers had to be sent to an authorized service center to get new firmware. How'd you do it?

#4,031 ·
hey guys,

I have been having an on again off again problem with my 1019 now since I got it back in Feb. I thought it was solved, but has returned with a vengance. My left front cannel is barely audible. I can't do much with the level function as I have to turn the left all the way up and left all the way down and the right is still louder. I have checked my speaker wire connections and they seem fine. I'm using Polk OWM3's up front and have switched the front L and R and the lft channel is still barely audible. I tried to rerun MCACC and it gives me an error for my lft front (no surprise). This happened when I first got the receiver but after I fiddled around with checking speaker wire connections, and rerunning MCACC and screwing around with the levels it "fixed" itself. Anyone have any other things I can try. I have an e-mail in to Pio Support, but I'd like to try and fix myself if I can.

Thanks in advance,

Bill

#4,032 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurray716 /forum/post/18624848

hey guys,

I have been having an on again off again problem with my 1019 now since I got it back in Feb. I thought it was solved, but has returned with a vengance. My left front cannel is barely audible. I can't do much with the level function as I have to turn the left all the way up and left all the way down and the right is still louder. I have checked my speaker wire connections and they seem fine. I'm using Polk OWM3's up front and have switched the front L and R and the lft channel is still barely audible. I tried to rerun MCACC and it gives me an error for my lft front (no surprise). This happened when I first got the receiver but after I fiddled around with checking speaker wire connections, and rerunning MCACC and screwing around with the levels it "fixed" itself. Anyone have any other things I can try. I have an e-mail in to Pio Support, but I'd like to try and fix myself if I can.

Thanks in advance,

Bill

Have you tried wiggling the wires at the receiver connects while playing something to see if the sound changes volume?