AVS Forum banner

The "Official" Pioneer VSX-1019AH Owner's Thread

751K views 5K replies 906 participants last post by  bmurray716 
#1 ·
This unit has been available for a month or two but I haven't seen a thread for it yet, so here we are.

From the Pioneer website:

This hub for your home entertainment center allows you to enjoy your favorite movies on Blu-ray Disc®, DVD or VHS on your flat-panel television like never before. With standard features that include a phenomenal ability to upscale and convert analog video signals to1080p when transmitted through HDMI® to your high definition television, the VSX-1019AH-K's video scaler presents you with nothing but the best quality possible today - regardless of what video source it receives.

And as portable audio devices are now becoming a primary source of entertainment, it's also why the VSX-1019AH-K is Works with iPhone® certified. With this certification comes a myriad of benefits for enjoying your iPhone on the VSX-1019AH-K: easy connectivity with the front USB port and included cable - even charging the device while connected; music and movies are automatically muted with incoming calls (no longer requiring you to put the phone in Airplane Mode); compressed music files are greatly enhanced by Pioneer's exclusive Advanced Sound Retriever technology; Auto Level Control maintains a consistent volume from to song to song and all this control is still possible from the palm of your hand through the iPhone® itself or the VSX-1019AH-K's remote.

Add the VSX-1019-AH-K's brand new color Graphical User Interface (GUI) and the ability for 2nd zone A/V distribution, and enjoying a Blu-ray Disc movie in the living room while someone else scrolls through iTunes® album art while listening to music in a bedroom is all but effortless.

But the benefits certainly don't stop there. With 4 HDMI inputs and 2 component video inputs the potential to expand your HD entertainment experience even further is not only a dream come true but also a technical reality.

See less See more
#4,035 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcheng122 /forum/post/18625494

Have you tried wiggling the wires at the receiver connects while playing something to see if the sound changes volume?

jkcheng122, thanks for the reply. yes, I tried wiggling the wires at both the speaker and the connection to the receiver with no luck. Again, thanks for the suggestion.

#4,036 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurray716 /forum/post/18626256

jkcheng122, thanks for the reply. yes, I tried wiggling the wires at both the speaker and the connection to the receiver with no luck. Again, thanks for the suggestion.

Hi bmurray716, have you try resetting the receiver back to factory default? If not give that a try, but then again if this has happen already two times I would think it will happen again, call Pio.

#4,037 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestrokneer /forum/post/18520604

Hey all,

Building up my home theatre system from an old Samsung HTIB that I had before, and just bought the VSX-1019.

I was planning on just using my current speakers (5.1 1000 Watt system w/ unpowered sub) because they were already wired under the house, etc. However, the sub that I have is unpowered, and just has regular positive/negative speaker wire connectors, and I just noticed the only option for inputing the sub is a RCA-type direct input plug.

My question is this:

If I plug my sub into one of the "extra" Back Surround Sound inputs, is it going to either A) Fry my speaker and receiver, B) Recognize my speaker as a subwoofer, C) calibrate appropriately?

Any help you could provide so that I don't have to drop another few hundred dollars to complete my setup would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Sorry I'm a bit late on this, but it seems that something may have been overlooked here. Forgive me if this was discussed already and I missed it.

Usually passive subs have speaker wire inputs and outputs. That is because they are meant to be used in-line. You would simply connect the sub inputs to the two main channel speaker outs from the receiver, then connect the two speaker outs on the sub to the L & R speakers. This is the design of passive subs.

Again, forgive me if this has already been mentioned...or if I am entirely too late.

#4,038 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin /forum/post/18626282

Hi bmurray716, have you try resetting the receiver back to factory default? If not give that a try, but then again if this has happen already two times I would think it will happen again, call Pio.

Thanks JChin,

I have a call (e-mail) in to Pioneer and have dropped the unit off at an authorized dealer. He did a quick test on the channel and low and behold it was out. I am awaiting his call as to what needs to be done. Ugghhhhh.

#4,041 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurray716 /forum/post/18624848

hey guys,

I have been having an on again off again problem with my 1019 now since I got it back in Feb. I thought it was solved, but has returned with a vengance. My left front cannel is barely audible. I can't do much with the level function as I have to turn the left all the way up and left all the way down and the right is still louder. I have checked my speaker wire connections and they seem fine. I'm using Polk OWM3's up front and have switched the front L and R and the lft channel is still barely audible. I tried to rerun MCACC and it gives me an error for my lft front (no surprise). This happened when I first got the receiver but after I fiddled around with checking speaker wire connections, and rerunning MCACC and screwing around with the levels it "fixed" itself. Anyone have any other things I can try. I have an e-mail in to Pio Support, but I'd like to try and fix myself if I can.

Thanks in advance,

Bill

When you checked the speaker connections, did you double check the polarity?

#4,042 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPopely /forum/post/18613520

Not yet ... good to know I'm not the only one having this problem

I'm having the same problem as well.

Additionally, voice will typically drop from HD channels quite often. Other times, I'll go a few days without voice dropping. I don't think it is a volume issue as voices will be heard totally fine then just totally drop while background sounds/music remain.

I'm thinking my issue is related to my SA 8300 HD DVR box but my searches haven't given me a definitive answer.

#4,043 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsmart /forum/post/18627999

When you checked the speaker connections, did you double check the polarity?

unsmart,

Yes, and thanks. The authorized repair shop also checked the left front channel and it was a no go. So I unfortunately think its something more serious. Guys, thanks for all the suggestions. As I have it in the shop now I'll post back when I know what the trouble is. Good news is that its still under warrenty.

#4,044 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurray716 /forum/post/18627328

Thanks JChin,

I have a call (e-mail) in to Pioneer and have dropped the unit off at an authorized dealer. He did a quick test on the channel and low and behold it was out. I am awaiting his call as to what needs to be done. Ugghhhhh.

Sorry to hear that, please report back with your end result with Pio and good luck.

#4,045 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by walts1 /forum/post/18628248

I'm having the same problem as well.

Additionally, voice will typically drop from HD channels quite often. Other times, I'll go a few days without voice dropping. I don't think it is a volume issue as voices will be heard totally fine then just totally drop while background sounds/music remain.

I'm thinking my issue is related to my SA 8300 HD DVR box but my searches haven't given me a definitive answer.

The firmware update from hkan fixed this for me.

#4,047 ·
^^^

to get the sub to play...

assuming your mains are set to small, as long as you aren't using "pure direct", the avr will send the frequencies below the xover to the sub...

to get the center to play...

use one of the "standard surround" modes...

#4,048 ·
thanks for the reply hernanu,

fronts are fisher model # st410 the rest are sony with following #'s My center is model #cn5000p and rears are model # b1000. they are cheap but until budget allows they are what i'll be using. Again thanks in advance.

#4,049 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtmedic /forum/post/18641206

thanks for the reply hernanu,

fronts are fisher model # st410 the rest are sony with following #'s My center is model #cn5000p and rears are model # b1000. they are cheap but until budget allows they are what i'll be using. Again thanks in advance.

Couldn't find your fronts, but the center and rears have a 80 - 50KHz range, so I would set them to small and cross them over at 100 Hz. I assume the Fishers are large speakers, but I would also set them to small, (the crossover would apply to all speakers).

The center and rears are not that efficient (87 db - 89), so be aware that the 1019 will need to work harder to produce higher volume. It won't be a big problem unless you want to blast your speakers. I can't speak for your fronts.

Obviously, the crossover only means something if a sub is attached, otherwise you are going to be missing most of the range of sounds under the crossover.

#4,050 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurray716 /forum/post/18624848

hey guys,

I have been having an on again off again problem with my 1019 now since I got it back in Feb. I thought it was solved, but has returned with a vengance. My left front cannel is barely audible. I can't do much with the level function as I have to turn the left all the way up and left all the way down and the right is still louder. I have checked my speaker wire connections and they seem fine. I'm using Polk OWM3's up front and have switched the front L and R and the lft channel is still barely audible. I tried to rerun MCACC and it gives me an error for my lft front (no surprise). This happened when I first got the receiver but after I fiddled around with checking speaker wire connections, and rerunning MCACC and screwing around with the levels it "fixed" itself. Anyone have any other things I can try. I have an e-mail in to Pio Support, but I'd like to try and fix myself if I can.

Thanks in advance,

Bill

Just received word from the service shop that my circuit board was kaput, and am waiting for a replacement from Pio (CA). Should be ~week. Limping along with the display speakers for now.

#4,051 ·
Ok,so can anyone tell me at what db level in the receiver does the sub start getting a distorted signal? I want to turn up the receivers sub level to as close to 0 db as possible without going any higher but i have heard that anything above -2 on other pioneer receivers sends like 2.9% distortion to the sub.What is an acceptable sub channel level for this receiver where i am getting a stong signal with minimum distortion??

#4,052 ·
^^^

where did you hear that?

no, you can go to 0 if you like...

you can adjust your sub "volume" in 2 different ways...

- change the sub trim level on the avr...

- change the gain on the sub's amp...

actually, a third way too... move the sub to whereever it "wants" to be in the room... proper positioning will improve perceived volume, as it will flatten the response...

generally speaking, it's usually a good idea to start around 11 o'clock on the sub's gain knob and work from there with the trim...

#4,053 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj /forum/post/18653672

^^^

where did you hear that?

actually, a third way too... move the sub to whereever it "wants" to be in the room... proper positioning will improve perceived volume, as it will flatten the response...

generally speaking, it's usually a good idea to start around 11 o'clock on the sub's gain knob and work from there with the trim...

Basically my sub is an SVS.SVS says that your receiver should not be set any higher than -3 due to distortion being sent to your sub.I have seen it all over the forums and the net.I also read a post somewhere that was in reply to a similair question.The OP had a different pioneer receiver but at any rate one person that answered him told him that at 0 db on the AVR the signal had a distortion of 2.9% and it was recommende that the level not be set any higher than -2 to avoid this. SVS cautions against setting the AVR sub level too high due to distortion being sent to the sub.

#4,054 ·
believe what you like...

#4,055 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj /forum/post/18653672

^^^

where did you hear that?

I have mine at 0db right now and just under 1/3 gain which seems to be doing the trick.My only concern is the distortion of signal from the AVR.I have seen others with SVS subs that have their gains at less than half and the sub level in the AVR at like -9.I don't know how they get adequate bass like that at all.I know i wouldn't with this AVR.

#4,056 ·
^^^

do you have any idea what level of distortion would be necessary in order for you to perceive it at that low of a frequency?

they likely have their subs positioned correctly, and have at least some trapping...

have you tried graphing your response?

#4,057 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj /forum/post/18653845

^^^

do you have any idea what level of distortion would be necessary in order for you to perceive it at that low of a frequency?

they likely have their subs positioned correctly, and have at least some trapping...

have you tried graphing your response?

you have a point,never though of that.I think my position is pretty good.I have messed with it alot and it is now close to but not right in the left corner.It is not adjacent to any openings on the opposite wall.Like i said,i am now getting enough output although i know for sure that it is well above reference.I bought an analog SPL and i used it to set my other speakers to 75db.The sub however just doesn't have the punch i want at a few db above reference.I am also curious though.I have the meter on the right settings,but when i measure my sub,the needle bounces all over the place.It has like a 4 db swing between the low point and high point.When i measure the other speakers the needle stays still.Do i measure the peaks or the lows as the correct db??

#4,058 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj /forum/post/18653802

believe what you like...
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...37143&page=178

This is what myself,SVS tech support,and lots of other people all over the web believe.Look at the bottom of the page where they discuss turning the level up too high on the AVR and sending a clipped signal to the sub.Therefore causing distortion when the sub trys to play the clipped signal.From my research many AV heads never put their AVR sub level above 0,much less -2 or -3 because setting it higher clips the signal.