post #4861 of 5178 Old 01-01-2012, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by element192 View Post

Although, turning the volume to the max definitely wasn't very loud at all. Not sure if this is normal or the fact that it wasn't bass heavy music... Is this a good sign?

As a side note, the higher I turned the frequency knob, the louder the sound got.

Thanks again for getting back to me.

Appears the sub may be bad. Know a friend with a sub to test? Or another option is to take your sub to an audio store and see if they can test it for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4862 of 5178 Old 01-01-2012, 08:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Appears the sub may be bad. Know a friend with a sub to test? Or another option is to take your sub to an audio store and see if they can test it for you.

Man, that sucks... unfortunately, I don't think I do know anyone with a sub I could use. I guess I can look into a shop but this is only a $150 sub so I don't know how much I want to spend on it. Although maybe it could be covered by the warranty? Well thanks again for getting back to me.
post #4863 of 5178 Old 01-01-2012, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by element192 View Post

Man, that sucks... unfortunately, I don't think I do know anyone with a sub I could use. I guess I can look into a shop but this is only a $150 sub so I don't know how much I want to spend on it. Although maybe it could be covered by the warranty? Well thanks again for getting back to me.

Another suggestion is post your sub problem in the sub forum, here.
post #4864 of 5178 Old 01-02-2012, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PioneerOne View Post

gunsmoker,

Hkan's firmware update worked great for me. You didn't provide much detail for the process you used. Did you unzip the file from Hkan and read the instructions? To prepare the thumb drive, you need to format it as FAT32 and have no other files on it except the firmware image (i.e., the "AVR_09_1056.mem" file which is 24,706 KB in size). Then perform the following steps:

1. Power down your AVR and insert the thumb stick.
2. Push and hold the TUNE+ button and power up the AVR.
3. Once the AVR powers up, release the TUNE+ button.
4. You should see your current version displayed on the AVR display.
Note: The next step must occur within 10 seconds, or the update mode will time out and you will need to start over.
5. First, push the TUNE+ button again.
6. You should see the word UPDATE on your AVR display.
7. Press ENTER and the display will say UPDATE ? .
8. Press the PRESET+ button to change the display to read UPDATE ? , then press ENTER.
At this point, the AVR display should say PLEASE WAIT while it detects the firmware image.
Next, the AVR display will change to read UPDATE and a bar graph will begin to appear after a couple of minutes to show the update progress. After a few minutes, the AVR display will say COMPLETE, and after 5 seconds, the AVR will power down.
9. With the AVR powered down, remove the thumb stick.
10. Power the AVR up and verify the updated firmware version using the instructions in Hkan's earlier post.

If you have done all of the above, then you didn't miss anything. Otherwise, try this method and let us know if it works for you...

PioneerOne

I have done the update to V1.056 and it updated correctly, but I think it lost some of the HDMI 1080p clarity. it is not as clear as before the update. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Tyler
TheTVProducer@gmail.com
post #4865 of 5178 Old 01-02-2012, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler5921 View Post

I have done the update to V1.056 and it updated correctly, but I think it lost some of the HDMI 1080p clarity. it is not as clear as before the update. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Tyler
TheTVProducer@gmail.com

I'm not even sure that updating the firmware would change the output from 1080p to something less... but maybe. Anyone have any answers?

Thanks!

Tyler
post #4866 of 5178 Old 01-04-2012, 02:59 PM

I've had the 1019 for a couple of years now. It's good, but not great. I'm wondering if I need to upgrade to the 1121 or move to the Denon 1912. Frankly, I'd rather not spend the money if someone can help me out with a few issues I've been having.

#1: I very rarely hear any sound out of the rear speakers. I feel like the old Sony HTIB I used to have produced more sound from the rear speakers.

#2: When I'm listening to the Tuner, I can hear everything just fine in the 40-50db range. When I'm watching the DirecTV, I have to crank the 1019 up to 25-30. Is this normal? Do I have it hooked up correctly?

#3: I just bought a PS3 to play 3D movies on my TV. For some reason, it works fine when it's hooked directly to the TV. When I try running it through the 1019, nothing.

Not sure if these are basic questions, or things that have already been answered. I'd really appreciate any help anyone can give me. I think this could be a truly great receive if I just learned how to use the features it has.
post #4867 of 5178 Old 01-04-2012, 03:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
^^^

1) because your setup is correctly balanced now, you are likely hearing the surrounds as they "should be" now.

2) yes normal... different sources have different input levels....

3) check your resolution settings on the ps3... are you doing any processing in the 1019?

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4868 of 5178 Old 01-09-2012, 11:00 AM

Chris,

Thanks for the response.

If I prefer to hear the surrounds a little more often rather than as they "should be", is there a setting I can change?

How would I find out if I'm doing any processing on the 1019? Again, is there some kind of setting?

Thanks again for the help.
post #4869 of 5178 Old 01-09-2012, 01:02 PM

Liked: 46
1 - Can anyone tell me if the vsx-919 has updated firmware ? The website doesn't indicate anything, but I've read somewhere that there is firmware to fix issues with the OSD and ipod integration (it doesn't work for me usually).

2 - My crossover settings only allow for 80hz and then 50hz. I'd like to cross over at 60hz for my center channel and 40hz for my right and left. Is there a way to get individual control ?

3 - MCACC is setting my right and left speakers to -10db when doing the db/spl leveling of the channels. Is -10 the lower limit ? I'm using Klipsch RF3's and I'm curious if they're efficient enough that maybe mcacc cant pull them back down enough to match the center (rc3).
post #4870 of 5178 Old 01-12-2012, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
1- Its been asked and the firmware is floating around here somewhere. Search pls
2- no
3 - if it's applying -10 then it is the other way around. It's lowering them to match the other speakers and I believe -10 is as far as it goes. what is it setting the center/surrounds?

Sony Bravia KDL32S3000 HDTV | Pioneer VSX-1019AH-K AVR | Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300 HDC HD Cable Box | Sony BDP-S390 BD | Harmony 700| Logitech Squeezbox Classic | Squeezebox Radio | Polk T15 (front - L/R) | Polk OWM 3 (rear) | DefTech ProCenter1000 (center) | Polk DSW Pro 400 Sub
post #4871 of 5178 Old 01-12-2012, 10:19 AM

Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurray716 View Post

1- Its been asked and the firmware is floating around here somewhere. Search pls
2- no
3 - if it's applying -10 then it is the other way around. It's lowering them to match the other speakers and I believe -10 is as far as it goes. what is it setting the center/surrounds?

I was under the impression that it tries to match speaker levels to a 75db test tone so that 0db on the display is reference volume.
post #4872 of 5178 Old 01-13-2012, 05:54 AM

I have an annoying problem with my VSX1019... When my Panasonic plasma (hooked up via HDMI) is turned on, the receiver's blue standby power light comes on for a second and then goes out. This basically puts it back into the power off state and I have to turn it on manually.

Once it's on, turning the TV off will turn off the receiver which is great, but right now, the power on procedure requires me manually turning on the TV and then the receiver. Anyone have any idea how to fix this? Thanks!
post #4873 of 5178 Old 01-13-2012, 12:33 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseline View Post

I have an annoying problem with my VSX1019... When my Panasonic plasma (hooked up via HDMI) is turned on, the receiver's blue standby power light comes on for a second and then goes out. This basically puts it back into the power off state and I have to turn it on manually.

Once it's on, turning the TV off will turn off the receiver which is great, but right now, the power on procedure requires me manually turning on the TV and then the receiver. Anyone have any idea how to fix this? Thanks!

Turn off Kuro Link on the receiver and Viera link on your TV.
post #4874 of 5178 Old 01-19-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJAMESTX View Post

#3: I just bought a PS3 to play 3D movies on my TV. For some reason, it works fine when it's hooked directly to the TV. When I try running it through the 1019, nothing.

The AVR won't handle 3D movies. When I play 3D movies I have to connect the PS3 to the display (Mits DLP through 3D adapter) and use TOSLINK for sound. (I have a 919 but it should be the same for the 1019). It can handle 3D games without problems, though.
post #4875 of 5178 Old 02-07-2012, 11:50 AM

Ok here is a list of all the components:

Pioneer - KRP-500M Monitor
Pioneer - VSX-1019AH-K Receiver
PS3
ATT Uverse Box

Here is the way I currently have it set up:

HDMI out from Uverse box to HDMI 1 IN on Receiver
HDMI out from PS3 to BD HDMI slot on Receiver
HDMI out from Receiver to Monitor
Speakers wired directly to/from Reciever

I've been using this set up for about 2 years now. No issues until yesterday. Everything is working except sound from the Uverse box (HDMI 1). I've swapped this box out with other TVs in the house and the other TV's produce audio without issue. So it's not Uverse box itself. I even had someone from ATT come check the box out this morning and they said the same thing "not our box, its something else of yours causing the issue".

Sound works fine when listening to the radio through the receiver and sound works fine when watching a movie (PS3 - BD)

Based on that, I would have to assume that the HDMI cable that is running out from the Receiver to the TV is working properly.

What could be causing the sound outage with the Uverse box? Could it be that the HDMI 1 port on the back of the reicever has burned out? If that was the case would the video still come through? The Video from Uverse works just fine, no audio.

Any suggestions out there?

Thanks,

Mike
post #4876 of 5178 Old 02-07-2012, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvitek21 View Post

PS3
ATT Uverse Box

I've been using this set up for about 2 years now. No issues until yesterday. Everything is working except sound from the Uverse box (HDMI 1). I've swapped this box out with other TVs in the house and the other TV's produce audio without issue. So it's not Uverse box itself. I even had someone from ATT come check the box out this morning and they said the same thing "not our box, its something else of yours causing the issue".

Sound works fine when listening to the radio through the receiver and sound works fine when watching a movie (PS3 - BD)

Based on that, I would have to assume that the HDMI cable that is running out from the Receiver to the TV is working properly.

What could be causing the sound outage with the Uverse box? Could it be that the HDMI 1 port on the back of the reicever has burned out? If that was the case would the video still come through? The Video from Uverse works just fine, no audio.

Thanks,

Mike

Perhaps I'm stating the obvious here, but have you tried connecting your Uverse box to a different HDMI input on your receiver? Good luck.
post #4877 of 5178 Old 02-07-2012, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks,

Mike

Hi Mike, you might try cycling audio input by using the "Signal Sel" button.
post #4878 of 5178 Old 02-07-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightrope View Post

Perhaps I'm stating the obvious here, but have you tried connecting your Uverse box to a different HDMI input on your receiver? Good luck.

I didn't try that last night as I thought it was the uverse box that was cutting out on me. Now that their technician has ruled that out, I will definitely try another HDMI outlet when I get home after work.

Quick question, can just the sound "go out" on an HDMI port? I assumed that it would just shut down entirely (video and audio) if it went out.

Thank you for the suggestion. Any further ideas/help would be greatly appreciated.

Mike
post #4879 of 5178 Old 02-07-2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:

Hi Mike, you might try cycling audio input by using the "Signal Sel" button.

Hi JChin -

Thanks for the suggestion. Forgive me for what is probably a dumb request but can you tell me exactly what cycling the audio input would do?

Just want to understand what I'm attempting so I can learn for the future.

Thanks again,

Mike
post #4880 of 5178 Old 02-07-2012, 07:14 PM

****update****

Tried another HDMI outlet - no different result
Swapped out all cables and verified that cables are not an issue. Everything is working as it should.
Tried the signalsel button but was only given one option and it didn't change anything.

Now here is the kicker.... I went into the Audio Output settings in the Uverse Box and changed the digital output setting from "stereo" to "surround sound". After saving that change, certain channels will have audio and certain channels won't. The sound on these channels only work if I have the 1019 on anything other than a "stereo" setting. When the sound is working on these few channels, it comes and goes. Almost as if it only works when certain channels/shows/commercials are broadcast in a certain format.

There must be a setting that has been inadvertently changed on the 1019 that is causing all of these problems.

I don't have surround sound set up so the "stereo" setting in the UVERSE box is the correct one. I have never changed that setting until now.

I need someone with some experience to help me trouble shoot this problem. I'm sure it's a setting within the 1019 that can be toggled and all is solved. I've never had a problem with my setup until yesterday. So I know my components and the hardwire setup work.

I would truly appreciate anyone that can help me troubleshoot this issue.

Please and thank you in advance.

Mike
post #4881 of 5178 Old 02-07-2012, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

[quote=mvitek21;21613184I would truly appreciate anyone that can help me troubleshoot this issue.

Please and thank you in advance.

Mike[/QUOTE]

Strange that its only Uverse box. Check if receiver Control HDMI is set to "on", if so turn it "off". Another test is try using optical cable from Uverse box to receiver.
post #4882 of 5178 Old 02-07-2012, 08:02 PM

Quote:

Strange that its only Uverse box. Check if receiver Control HDMI is set to "on", if so turn it "off". Another test is try using optical cable from Uverse box to receiver.

How would I go about checking to see if the control HDMI is set to ON? Is there a sub-menu that I need to access?

Thanks again.
post #4883 of 5178 Old 02-07-2012, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How would I go about checking to see if the control HDMI is set to ON? Is there a sub-menu that I need to access?

Thanks again.

Should find this by going into System Setup -> Other Setup -> Kuro Link Setup
post #4884 of 5178 Old 02-07-2012, 08:13 PM

Quote:

Should find this by going into System Setup -> Other Setup -> Kuro Link Setup

Thanks, when I go to System Setup -> Other Setup -> Kuro Link Setup ---- the only options that I see are KURO LINK with an on/off toggle and DISPLAY POWER OFF with a yes/no toggle.

Is there something that I'm missing? I don't see HDMI control anywhere??

Thanks,

Mike
post #4885 of 5178 Old 02-07-2012, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^ sorry, Control HDMI is Kuro Link (turn Kuro Link to "off").
post #4886 of 5178 Old 02-08-2012, 04:26 AM

KURO Link is off. Still have same audio issues.

Any other suggestions out there? This is maddening.
post #4887 of 5178 Old 02-09-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:

PS3
ATT Uverse Box

Thanks,

Mike

Mike, sorry I did not respond sooner, but this thread has been quite for a while.

Your problem is widely known and had you searched you would have come across this issue with cable boxes and hdmi connection to the avr. it's got something to do with the handshake that the hdmi connection does between components even with Kuro link "off". This is the reason that cycling sources and then going back to the cable box can sometimes fix it. The best solution is to connect the cable box to the avr with a digital cable such as optical to carry the audio signal. You can still use the hdmi to carry the video, or even component. You aren't going to lose any quality in either audio or video as the cable box can only provide up to 5.1 (which the optical can handle). This is how I have my cable box set up and never have audio drop out. Make sure you go in the Input Setup Menu and indicate where the audio is coming from. You'll also have to go into the setup menu for the cable box and indicate the audio out as "digital" or "dolby" or something like that, but not hdmi or else your not going to get audio.

Sony Bravia KDL32S3000 HDTV | Pioneer VSX-1019AH-K AVR | Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300 HDC HD Cable Box | Sony BDP-S390 BD | Harmony 700| Logitech Squeezbox Classic | Squeezebox Radio | Polk T15 (front - L/R) | Polk OWM 3 (rear) | DefTech ProCenter1000 (center) | Polk DSW Pro 400 Sub
post #4888 of 5178 Old 02-11-2012, 04:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Hi, I need a refresher on my receiver (actually a 919, but thought to post here as this gets a little more traffic since its now as old).

I am stumped on the purpose of Auto Surround, A.L.C., Direct and Pure Direct. I have setup MCACC and it is on but I just dont know which of the above I want to set my Receiver up with.

I want to take advantage of what MCACC has done and I want the best sound as it was intended without any further artificial additives.

Please advise and thanks in advance.

Doug
Where there's a beer, there's a way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4889 of 5178 Old 02-14-2012, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Bump ^^^

Doug
Where there's a beer, there's a way.

post #4890 of 5178 Old 02-14-2012, 06:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by kezug View Post

Hi, I need a refresher on my receiver (actually a 919, but thought to post here as this gets a little more traffic since its now as old).
I am stumped on the purpose of Auto Surround, A.L.C., Direct and Pure Direct. I have setup MCACC and it is on but I just dont know which of the above I want to set my Receiver up with.
I want to take advantage of what MCACC has done and I want the best sound as it was intended without any further artificial additives.
Please advise and thanks in advance.

I got this from the manual.
Auto surround automatically detects what your source sound is and plays back accordingly in surround or stereo.

ALC is auto level control. It uses your EQ settings. I think I read somewhere it doesn't process delays for surround - All speakers output equally.

Direct applies all of your mcacc settings. speaker distance, EQ etc.
Pure direct - Analog sources are heard without any digital processing.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page