The "Official" Pioneer VSX-1019AH Owner's Thread - Page 174 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #5191 of 5199 Old 03-26-2015, 09:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySudz View Post
I think I can get around this problem by utilizing a SACD decoder when streaming sacd music files on the hard drive
Disregard that statement... Been a long day!

Seriously, Do you have to pass GO to earn editing priveledges .... How do you edit a post ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5192 of 5199 Old 03-28-2015, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Today I changed the hdmi out cable to a new one on the pioneer 919. Now I see receiver - volume osd on the tv when changing the volume.

Never seen that before on this receiver.
post #5193 of 5199 Old 03-28-2015, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 708
Quote:
Greetings,

Figured I would go ahead and get my feet wet with my first post. 9 more to go and I can send messages.. ' hooray ' . I may have that many before I get the system installed as I'm green.. Question for all past and present VSX-1019 owners. First this though....Okay, so it's 2015 now and I have a VSX-1019 brand new, still in the box. Thats right, same goes for my speaker system. Klipsch floor fronts, rears, center, bass and Harmony One remote still in factory sealed boxes/packaging. I bought these end of 09 but they have been in storage ever since... Long story

I am going to be setting up the speakers soon, looking for input as to whether you would use the VSX-1019 or sell it and seek a newer AVR. I would like to be able to use the 1019 if possible
No reason not to use the 1019. I used it for quite a while as my main AVR, it did fine work driving an Energy RC setup. It is now serving as a music mostly receiver in my bedroom, with my old Oppo BDP-83 as the music source. The 1019 is reliable, has more than enough power and works well with the Oppo, a Vizio display and is just chugging along and sounds great.
Quote:
What I am looking for? I want to be able to stream video and music from my mac and external hard drive thru the system. I have a PS3 slim I will be hooking to the system also. I understand I can stream through the PS3 using an app on my mac. However, I do want to be able to play sacd and dvd-a disc also but the slim does not support format. I think I can get around this problem by utilizing a SACD decoder when streaming sacd music files on the hard drive. At the present I've been researching BDP's .... I'm thinking the Pio BDP 62-FD might be an suitable option supporting the sacd and dvd-a formats.

Any recommendations on a reasonably priced BDP to compliment the VSX-1019 that supports sacd and dvd-a ?
Or any other suggestions?

Cheers
If the 62FD is selling at the same price range as the Oppo 103D, I'd go with the Oppo.
post #5194 of 5199 Old 03-30-2015, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Hdmi issues?

I was wondering if this was either a common issue or easily repaired? I found this on CL and figured I would try and haggle it down if it was an easy fix or user error.
post #5195 of 5199 Old 04-02-2015, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
No reason not to use the 1019. I used it for quite a while as my main AVR, it did fine work driving an Energy RC setup. It is now serving as a music mostly receiver in my bedroom, with my old Oppo BDP-83 as the music source. The 1019 is reliable, has more than enough power and works well with the Oppo, a Vizio display and is just chugging along and sounds great.

If the 62FD is selling at the same price range as the Oppo 103D, I'd go with the Oppo.
Thanks for your response. Yeah, I got my eye on the Oppo also, great recommendation as I understand the industry rates bdp performance against the Oppo from all my research. Nice setup in the b/r with the 1019 / Oppo...
At the moment anything that will play my sacd's would work until I can drop some $ on a known reliable unit. It appears I can purchase a software license for a sacd player online that will allow me to play the sacds I have on my hard drive w/o changing format prior to streaming. I shall see soon enough..

I did go ahead and install the 1019 avr combined with Klipsch speakers and a Samsung 55" led tv... All I can say is , WOW... I know many people do not care for the Klipsch and claim the lows suck... I'm gonna have to call em on it, of course I'm no audiophile... However, I'm loving the sound of the combo. I could not believe the batteries were still operational that came with the remote.

It took me a few to get used to the unit and navigate the manual. As for the ipod, the connector would not fit my iPhone but fortunately I had an older iPhone 4 with cracked screen that I can now use as a dedicated ipod player. I was surprised at how well the unit and speakers sounded from the iPhone playing AAC files. Regardless, if I was standing 3 feet in front of the system or on the other side of the house, the music was clear and crisp. Yeah, I;m happy so far withe 1019

I did note the 1019 does get quite warm in the cabinet. I need to purchase a small fan to accommodate the unit. I've ordered online, a optical cable/Toslink and a displayport cable/hdmi so I can stream movies and music from my iMac thru the 1019. Nobody local had a clue as to what the cables were that I was requesting

Makes me wonder how much heat the Pioneer BDP's put out? I'm sure not any where near the amount the AVR does. Any heat issues with the Oppo? Also, since this the AVR had been in storage since it was purchased in 12/08, I'm sure the firmware is outdated. Any need to install updated firmware? Normally, I don't update firmware unless I'm having an issue with a component.
I know this post is unusual, me just now installing a 1019 when many have already upgraded and moved on...
post #5196 of 5199 Old 04-03-2015, 02:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for your response. Yeah, I got my eye on the Oppo also, great recommendation as I understand the industry rates bdp performance against the Oppo from all my research. Nice setup in the b/r with the 1019 / Oppo...
At the moment anything that will play my sacd's would work until I can drop some $ on a known reliable unit. It appears I can purchase a software license for a sacd player online that will allow me to play the sacds I have on my hard drive w/o changing format prior to streaming. I shall see soon enough..

I did go ahead and install the 1019 avr combined with Klipsch speakers and a Samsung 55" led tv... All I can say is , WOW... I know many people do not care for the Klipsch and claim the lows suck... I'm gonna have to call em on it, of course I'm no audiophile... However, I'm loving the sound of the combo. I could not believe the batteries were still operational that came with the remote.

It took me a few to get used to the unit and navigate the manual. As for the ipod, the connector would not fit my iPhone but fortunately I had an older iPhone 4 with cracked screen that I can now use as a dedicated ipod player. I was surprised at how well the unit and speakers sounded from the iPhone playing AAC files. Regardless, if I was standing 3 feet in front of the system or on the other side of the house, the music was clear and crisp. Yeah, I;m happy so far withe 1019

I did note the 1019 does get quite warm in the cabinet. I need to purchase a small fan to accommodate the unit. I've ordered online, a optical cable/Toslink and a displayport cable/hdmi so I can stream movies and music from my iMac thru the 1019. Nobody local had a clue as to what the cables were that I was requesting

Makes me wonder how much heat the Pioneer BDP's put out? I'm sure not any where near the amount the AVR does. Any heat issues with the Oppo? Also, since this the AVR had been in storage since it was purchased in 12/08, I'm sure the firmware is outdated. Any need to install updated firmware? Normally, I don't update firmware unless I'm having an issue with a component.
I know this post is unusual, me just now installing a 1019 when many have already upgraded and moved on...
I had the 1019 in an enclosed area with back venting, I installed a fan array with an internal heat sensor (only turns on when above a target temperature), worked well. Now it's on an open shelf, so gets plenty of venting.

No heat issues at all with the Oppo, had reasonable venting. I never updated the firmware, and it seems to work well. I think updating the firmware on this unit requires sending it to a service location, so it's not simple.

No problem IMO with using older AVR's, I use the Oppo for playing all sorts of media and accessing my network music and video files, so the 1019 is mostly used for room correction, HDMI / other inputs and amplification. It does those very well.
post #5197 of 5199 Old 04-09-2015, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
I had the 1019 in an enclosed area with back venting, I installed a fan array with an internal heat sensor (only turns on when above a target temperature), worked well. Now it's on an open shelf, so gets plenty of venting.

No heat issues at all with the Oppo, had reasonable venting. I never updated the firmware, and it seems to work well. I think updating the firmware on this unit requires sending it to a service location, so it's not simple.

No problem IMO with using older AVR's, I use the Oppo for playing all sorts of media and accessing my network music and video files, so the 1019 is mostly used for room correction, HDMI / other inputs and amplification. It does those very well.
You are correct on the firmware update for the VSX-1019, not available online... I've found some cheap fans online and from reviews they are super quiet so I will be ordering 1 or 2 of them. I did adjust the shelving to allow for more ventilation.

So far, I've put the sound of the VSX-1019 and Klipsch speakers to test since my installation by watching some older movies that I haven't seen in awhile ...Transformers - Revenge of the Fallen, House of Daggers, Pirates of the Caribbean - Dead Mans Chest and a few episodes of Band of Brothers.

Hopefully I can configure my Harmony One remote so I can watch tv using internal speakers late at night w/o losing any ports and adding additional cables when I go to install it. So far the only con to the 1019 I note is ' not having pass through ' and Airplay. I have a lot of data stored on a external hard drive so I may give the $80 WDTV a spin...
post #5198 of 5199 Old 04-09-2015, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You are correct on the firmware update for the VSX-1019, not available online... I've found some cheap fans online and from reviews they are super quiet so I will be ordering 1 or 2 of them. I did adjust the shelving to allow for more ventilation.

So far, I've put the sound of the VSX-1019 and Klipsch speakers to test since my installation by watching some older movies that I haven't seen in awhile ...Transformers - Revenge of the Fallen, House of Daggers, Pirates of the Caribbean - Dead Mans Chest and a few episodes of Band of Brothers.

Hopefully I can configure my Harmony One remote so I can watch tv using internal speakers late at night w/o losing any ports and adding additional cables when I go to install it. So far the only con to the 1019 I note is ' not having pass through ' and Airplay. I have a lot of data stored on a external hard drive so I may give the $80 WDTV a spin...
I'm using a Harmony 670 to control it, used a Harmony One before. I don't think that will be a problem. If you want to only use the TV speakers, have it set to THROUGH and the sound will be passed to the TV without any sound from the 1019.

If you want to pass through the video signal without processing, look at page 67 of the manual, you probably want to select V.CONV to off and RES to PURE. This would let your screen or your source (bluray, WDTV) do the video functions.

I run a NAS drive to my Oppo or to my Vizio TV, since both have DLNA clients. I run an optical line back to the 1019 from the TV and get good sound from it.
post #5199 of 5199 Old Today, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I am having trouble with my Optical input setting.

I bought a new receiver for my Entertainment Center and have moved my VSX-1019 to my office and have it hooked up to my PC. I am running Optical from my PC to the TV/SAT input on the receiver. I have to go into the SETUP menu and turn on the Opt-1 for sound to be delivered. A few days later I had to and reset the TV/SAT input to Opt-1 again. I have had to do this now about three times over the last month.

Does the receiver lose the audio setup settings if the power goes out? That is the only thing I can think of that could be happening...unless there is a known issue with the receiver?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors