The "Official" Pioneer VSX-1019AH Owner's Thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 5184 Old 07-13-2009, 10:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just set up my 1019 on Saturday to work with my PS3, Xbox Elite, and Samsung 6187. Everything worked great right out of the box, has to be the clearest sounding AV receiver I have ever owned.

COD4: FreakishPanda
PSN: FreakishPanda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 5184 Old 07-13-2009, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtpelltier View Post

I'm having the same problem. Set up my 919 a few weeks ago, and I'm really enjoying it. (I previously bought the 819, but quickly returned it and upgraded to the 919.) Anyway, for the first week or so, the remote worked just fine, turning the unit on and off without any problems. However, in the past week, it refuses to work when I try to turn the receiver on. Once I walk over and turn it on by pressing the power button, everything I ask the remote to do works perfectly, including turning the receiver off at the end of the movie. Strange behavior indeed. I'm not getting too freaked out about it, but I would like to figure out a solution.

Somewhere on the forums (maybe in this thread - don't remember), someone suggested that it might be interference from the backlight of the TV. A possible solution was to put a few layers of tape (not sure what kind?) on the IR end of the remote, to "block" some of the backlight. I have no idea if this works or not, but you might want to try this, John. (I haven't tried it yet, mainly because I don't think about the problem until it's movie time, and then I just haven't bothered to find the tape and do it.) Also, others have suggested that it might have something to do with Kuro Link. I have Kuro Link turned off (which is what they suggested), but it has not fixed my problem.

If you search the threads, this remote problem seems to be a fairly common complaint on the 919 & 1019. (One member got his remote replaced by Pioneer, but I think he was having other problems.) I'm hoping that some of the more experienced owners of these sets might be willing to offer ideas to us...

RTP

Thanks for the response RTP. I've set up a Harmony 550 universal remote so this issue isn't such a big deal anymore. I'm more concerned about the Zone 2 usage issue I reported earlier as this capability was a big factor in my purchasing the unit.

To reiterate the problem, I'm trying to use the Zone 2 composite A/V outputs to simultaneously broadcast my DVR input in a second room. In trying this, I get neither audio nor visual being sent though I know that the cables I am using are fine.

To add to my configuration details, I have a secondary set of speakers outside that I have set up as Speaker B on the back surround sound lines. To support this, I have configured these speakers as Speaker B in the System Settings. Is it possible that the Multi-Zone capability is disabled if you are using the back surround speakers as Speaker B?

John
post #543 of 5184 Old 07-13-2009, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodeoclown View Post

Since I am trying to get a feel for sound quality, can you tell me which AVR's you have owned so I can have a context of what you are comparing against?

Thanks

The last two I remember were 1] A SONY [mid-range; not high end] and 2] ONKYO 603X.
This 1019 already makes my mix-mash of speakers SOUND like they NEVER have and never would have before this AVR.
post #544 of 5184 Old 07-13-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swa pilot View Post

I have the 819 now and it seems to be working as it should, but now i starting to think i should have went with the 919 instead. Walmart has the 919 for $348.

My system-
50' plasma Panasonic tv
5.1 speaker setup
PS3
Xbox 360
Wi

My question - Is it worth returning the 819 and upgrading to the 919?

I don't have alot of experience with audio and i'm alittle intimidated with the set up of the 919, but for only $50 bucks, it seems to be worth it.

I'd appreciate your thoughts, Thank you.

If you ever want to set up 7.1 surround then the 819 is no good. Only 919 and 1019 can. I believe the 919 and 1019 also have the more advanced MCACC speaker calibration system. For me the 919 is the way to go.
post #545 of 5184 Old 07-13-2009, 01:02 PM

Liked: 11
Hi,

I've tried searching on avs. it just shows the whole sc-07/05 forum.
can it pinpoint specific postings?

I've contacted pioneer support but their reply is so darn generic.

I understand the Direct Mode is bitstream from the source player with
MCACC/DSP processing. Pure Direct no processing. what exactly
does AutoSurround Mode do? reason I ask is when I use Direct Mode,
I do not get the functions for midnight mode/DCR. They are only
available with AutoSurround.

Thanks for clarifying.
post #546 of 5184 Old 07-13-2009, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jls485 View Post

can I use banana plugs with 1019?

Thanks for clearing the issue of ps3 and 1019; hopefully amazon will have them in stock soon.

Yes you can. I use the closed screw type from monoprice. Very easy to use with nice, clean install.
post #547 of 5184 Old 07-13-2009, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfleming View Post

Thanks for the response RTP. I've set up a Harmony 550 universal remote so this issue isn't such a big deal anymore. I'm more concerned about the Zone 2 usage issue I reported earlier as this capability was a big factor in my purchasing the unit.

To reiterate the problem, I'm trying to use the Zone 2 composite A/V outputs to simultaneously broadcast my DVR input in a second room. In trying this, I get neither audio nor visual being sent though I know that the cables I am using are fine.

To add to my configuration details, I have a secondary set of speakers outside that I have set up as Speaker B on the back surround sound lines. To support this, I have configured these speakers as Speaker B in the System Settings. Is it possible that the Multi-Zone capability is disabled if you are using the back surround speakers as Speaker B?

John

I think you've run into a limitation of the 1019 as compared to, say my previous (and unlamented) AVR.

The choice is one of these:

1. A 7.1 configuration.
2. A 5.1 configuration and a 'B' speaker setup
3. A 5.1 configuration and a Zone 2 configuration.

They are (IMO) mutually exclusive, and if it is configured, the Zone 2 inputs are (cryptically in the manual) limited. An earlier poster noted that the limitation is that any digital input other than USB/iPod (and that only works in the 1019, not the 919) won't be sent to Zone 2.

So you'll have to take the extra step to select between (2) and (3) if I read your intent right. Granted, that can be done fairly easily, but can't be done simultaneously.

I plan on running RCA cables from my HD-DVD (and eventually a BR player) for CD music input to the second Zone, since HDMI feeds won't make it to the second zone. I don't think 'B' speaker setups have this limitation, they get the full panoply of inputs.
post #548 of 5184 Old 07-13-2009, 03:52 PM

hello,

just got my unit in, have a couple questions.

1) im trying to map my components to the inputs. one of my devices is a computer w/ a DVI-to-HDMI cable plugged into the unit's HDMI 1 and an optical out also plugged in. my understanding is i need to go into the "Input Setup" menu and modify one of the existing device mappings (DVR, DVD, TV/SAT, etc) to point to these inputs.

im trying to do this, but the menu item for selecting the HDMI Input is greyed out -- so I can't tell the unit I'd like to use HDMI 1 for the DVD profile.

arrgh. i see somebody else had this problem, does anybody have the solution?

2) until all of my cables get in i need to slum it w/ some mini-phono-to-RCA adapter cables, plugged into various inputs. but i cant seem to get any sound to come out... in fact, the only way i can get audio is using the iPod cable w/ my iPod -- that works great. but plugging ipod into the front "Video" RCA jacks, or the rear "Aux" is doing nothing for me (yep, im switching the receiver to the proper input). whaaa?

any idea what would prevent playback like this? secret buried menu items maybe?

thanks!
matt
post #549 of 5184 Old 07-13-2009, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post

correct on all counts, except for one:

"more aestheticaly pleasing" - false, they are the same case style/layout/materials.

do they both use a dot matrix display? i dont remember which but one of the lesser models i looked at did not, it used vcr-style lettering.
post #550 of 5184 Old 07-13-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdelvecchio View Post

hello,
im trying to do this, but the menu item for selecting the HDMI Input is greyed out -- so I can't tell the unit I'd like to use HDMI 1 for the DVD profile.

arrgh. i see somebody else had this problem, does anybody have the solution?

found it -- one must disable the KURO Link, whatever the hell that is.

Quote:

any idea what would prevent playback like this? secret buried menu items maybe?

while i havent tested everything, i think i figured this out too -- besides having stuff in the correct ports, and having those ports mapped to a device ("DVD"), one must then select which signal to detect -- Analog, Digital, Auto, etc.. this is done w/ the RECEIVER + SIG SEL buttons on the remote. (note: SIG SEL is actually button # 4, not 1).
post #551 of 5184 Old 07-13-2009, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdelvecchio View Post

found it -- one must disable the KURO Link, whatever the hell that is.

while i havent tested everything, i think i figured this out too -- besides having stuff in the correct ports, and having those ports mapped to a device ("DVD"), one must then select which signal to detect -- Analog, Digital, Auto, etc.. this is done w/ the RECEIVER + SIG SEL buttons on the remote. (note: SIG SEL is actually button # 4, not 1).

Yet another benefit of the KURO link. They really should default that to off. Good to see you got it going.
post #552 of 5184 Old 07-13-2009, 09:00 PM
vx2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post

correct on all counts, except for one:

"more aestheticaly pleasing" - false, they are the same case style/layout/materials.

power ratings are also the same.

Well that's nice to hear. Too bad for the non-ipod play on Zone 2 for the 919 though, was really hoping for that.
post #553 of 5184 Old 07-13-2009, 09:41 PM

I went ahead and returned the 819 and ordered the 919. I'm sure you'll be hearing from me over the next several weeks, while i'm trying to set this thing up.

Thanks for the advise, ajoyce.

FYI-I just bought my 919 from Newegg.com. It was 349.99, and with the code i got off of Slickdeals EMCLVLX22 it dropped the price to 319.99.
post #554 of 5184 Old 07-14-2009, 02:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Is there a way to have music or movie sound come through the speakers, instead of the pink noise, when you manually adjust the equalizer settings? If I try to adjust the EQ while listening to music, it switches to pink noise. This is not at all helpful in setting the EQ levels.

Thanks.
post #555 of 5184 Old 07-14-2009, 02:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

FYI-I just bought my 919 from Newegg.com. It was 349.99, and with the code i got off of Slickdeals EMCLVLX22 it dropped the price to 319.99.

Keep in mind newegg is not an authorized Pioneer dealer. Pioneer's website explicitly states they will only honor warranties for products purchased from authorized dealers. See link below:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...ternet+Dealers

While you saved about 10%, when you bought from newegg, you bought a product that has no warranty.

Link to list of Internet authorized dealers:

http://www.pioneer-america.com/PUSA/...n+the+Internet

Suprisingly Walmart is an authorized dealer.
post #556 of 5184 Old 07-14-2009, 02:20 AM

Quote:

I went ahead and returned the 819 and ordered the 919. I'm sure you'll be hearing from me over the next several weeks, while i'm trying to set this thing up.

Thanks for the advise, ajoyce.

As far as I know NewEgg is not an authorised Pioneer reseller, so the warranty will not be valid on this one. Did you know that?
post #557 of 5184 Old 07-14-2009, 05:26 AM

if he purchased with a CC, he should get at least a 90 day warranty through them even if it's not an authorized dealer. $320 is a good price for the 919. tax in TN kills most any decent newegg deal for me, tho.

so did pioneer just decide to stop shipping out more 1019's??? they're OOS EVERYwhere!
post #558 of 5184 Old 07-14-2009, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post

I think you've run into a limitation of the 1019 as compared to, say my previous (and unlamented) AVR.

The choice is one of these:

1. A 7.1 configuration.
2. A 5.1 configuration and a 'B' speaker setup
3. A 5.1 configuration and a Zone 2 configuration.

They are (IMO) mutually exclusive, and if it is configured, the Zone 2 inputs are (cryptically in the manual) limited. An earlier poster noted that the limitation is that any digital input other than USB/iPod (and that only works in the 1019, not the 919) won't be sent to Zone 2.

So you'll have to take the extra step to select between (2) and (3) if I read your intent right. Granted, that can be done fairly easily, but can't be done simultaneously.

I plan on running RCA cables from my HD-DVD (and eventually a BR player) for CD music input to the second Zone, since HDMI feeds won't make it to the second zone. I don't think 'B' speaker setups have this limitation, they get the full panoply of inputs.

Thanks hernanu. So I'm hearing two things here and they're both bad, please correct me if I'm not understanding.

1) The 919 (or 1019) cannot simultaneously support Speaker B audio through back surround speakers and Zone 2 output through an amplified device (in this case a small flat panel television).
2) Zone 2 cannot output audio or video from digital inputs (in this case HDMI and optical input from my DVR).

For number 2, is it possible to run the composite inputs from the DVR in parallel with the digital inputs and will Zone 2 be able to replicate those?

For number 1, I have to see how much of a hindrance this will be in my setup, but is there any comparable receiver in this price range that will support a second zone simultaneously with an auxilliary set of speakers?

Thanks.
post #559 of 5184 Old 07-14-2009, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfleming View Post

Thanks hernanu. So I'm hearing two things here and they're both bad, please correct me if I'm not understanding.

1) The 919 (or 1019) cannot simultaneously support Speaker B audio through back surround speakers and Zone 2 output through an amplified device (in this case a small flat panel television).
2) Zone 2 cannot output audio or video from digital inputs (in this case HDMI and optical input from my DVR).

For number 2, is it possible to run the composite inputs from the DVR in parallel with the digital inputs and will Zone 2 be able to replicate those?

For number 1, I have to see how much of a hindrance this will be in my setup, but is there any comparable receiver in this price range that will support a second zone simultaneously with an auxilliary set of speakers?

Thanks.

I think #1 is correct. You can't have Speaker B AND Zone 2 output simultaneously. I think you can have it sequentially, selecting one or the other.

For #2, I think you can take the composite inputs to have them replicated. If you also have the speaker inputs (L/R), those should be live also (again, not spelled out on the manual).

I have the 1019 and am thrilled with it, even though I did have to give up just what you're talking about. It may be important to people to have this capability, so I think knowing the limitations is much better than not when you're planning a big purchase like this. For me the tradeoff was fine.

I checked the Denon 1910 (a competitor to the 1019) and it has the same limitations. Going to a Speaker Zone 2 takes away the back surrounds (7.1 -> 5.1) and you have either the Speaker Zone 2 or the audio output Zone 2. It also has the limitation of not accepting digital inputs (HDMI, fiber or coax optical) for Zone 2, only analog stereo can be sent. I don't think it will take the iPod connection either, but I could be wrong there.

I didn't see anything in the Denon manual where it supports video to the second zone. So I think it's stereo sound only.
post #560 of 5184 Old 07-14-2009, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by got2go View Post

As far as I know NewEgg is not an authorised Pioneer reseller, so the warranty will not be valid on this one. Did you know that?

No problem, just buy the Extended Warranty, if it goes bad you get a new one! If your so worried about the pioneer going bad, than do not buy it! There are onkyos on neweggs sit that are just as good if not better.
post #561 of 5184 Old 07-14-2009, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlegod View Post

No problem, just buy the Extended Warranty, if it goes bad you get a new one! If your so worried about the pioneer going bad, than do not buy it! There are onkyos on neweggs sit that are just as good if not better.

That's what I did - bought the extended warranty for $30 or so, bringing my total up to about $410 for the whole thing. I didn't buy through Newegg, but it was the same situation.
post #562 of 5184 Old 07-14-2009, 09:30 AM

I regret buying this receiver. This thing gets too hot it's ridiculous. It's like having a space heater on in the summer. wow. Wish I would have known it gets this hot I would have got the Denon 590, which I hear barely gets warm.
post #563 of 5184 Old 07-14-2009, 10:34 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalman42 View Post

I regret buying this receiver. This thing gets too hot it's ridiculous. It's like having a space heater on in the summer. wow. Wish I would have known it gets this hot I would have got the Denon 590, which I hear barely gets warm.

Sorry to hear that. You must have put it in a cabinet.
Here is what the manual says:

VENTILATION CAUTION
When installing this unit, make sure to leave space
around the unit for ventilation to improve heat
radiation (at least 60 cm at top, 10 cm at rear, and
30 cm at each side).

For the non-metric American folks, this is about 24", 4", and 12" respectively. These are ridiculous distances and I doubt that anybody has that much space around their receiver. I have about an inch on top, zero on the right and the left and the back sides are open. Mine is warm to the touch and I have no power dissipation issues.
post #564 of 5184 Old 07-14-2009, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Return it. I haven't had a problem with heat, so I am fine with it; you shouldn't stick with something you don't like. The 590 is less capable IMO, but if you need fewer features than this, return it and get the 590.
post #565 of 5184 Old 07-14-2009, 10:42 AM

Quote:

well, look forward to the winter when you get to save on your heating bill
post #566 of 5184 Old 07-14-2009, 10:48 AM

What speakers are you running? If they are not 8 ohm speakers this might be causing your heat problem. Mine is in a cabinet with about 2" at the top, 4" in the back and 1" on each side and it only gets warm.
post #567 of 5184 Old 07-14-2009, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecutchins View Post

What speakers are you running? If they are not 8 ohm speakers this might be causing your heat problem. Mine is in a cabinet with about 2" at the top, 4" in the back and 1" on each side and it only gets warm.

I am running Polk monitor 50's. And CS1 as center. Says they are 8 ohms. It's installed on my bottom shelf. I have about "2 on top of space, about 10" on side left and right. And back is very open. My friend has this receiver in a completely open area and his gets very hot also using polk monitor 40's and CS1.
post #568 of 5184 Old 07-14-2009, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post

Return it. I haven't had a problem with heat, so I am fine with it; you shouldn't stick with something you don't like. The 590 is less capable IMO, but if you need fewer features than this, return it and get the 590.

Iv'e read other people complain that this receiver gets VERY hot. So I dont think it's a "defective" receiver I have. May just be my speakers, I dunno. I guess my biggest concern is, will it break because it's getting really hot. It's never shutoff as of yet or clipped. But still I dont want a $350 turd because the heat broke it.
post #569 of 5184 Old 07-14-2009, 11:25 AM

Would the fan kickon if it got close to overheating?? or should I still be concerned?
post #570 of 5184 Old 07-14-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:

Would the fan kickon if it got close to overheating?? or should I still be concerned?

I the heat may shorten the life span, If you have your DVD or VCR sitting on top, they will be hurt by the hotter temps that they do not run at.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page