Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 5173 Old 06-01-2009, 05:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tex94 View Post

I've been reading here and in other places about issues with power on. I noticed from the manual that the KuroLink feature interacts with how this device gets powered. For those of you with issues can you try turning Kuro Link off and see if the issues still happen?

I tried turning off KuroLink and have had all sorts of problems turning the amp back on. After a period of time being off, the amp will not respond to the remote to power on. The only way to power on then is to go up and hit power on the box. If you turn it off and then turn it on shortly after, it will power on. It is like there is some "green" function that takes it out of standby after x time. I put the Kurolink back on but have not had a chance to really test the behavior since then. Very strange. Anyone else seen this sort of thing?

Harry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 5173 Old 06-01-2009, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrys11 View Post

I tried turning off KuroLink and have had all sorts of problems turning the amp back on. After a period of time being off, the amp will not respond to the remote to power on. The only way to power on then is to go up and hit power on the box. If you turn it off and then turn it on shortly after, it will power on. It is like there is some "green" function that takes it out of standby after x time. I put the Kurolink back on but have not had a chance to really test the behavior since then. Very strange. Anyone else seen this sort of thing?

Harry

I haven't experienced anything like that. I've been setting up my Harmony One and so have been testing the remote (including on/off) many, many times but have had no issues (I have KuroLink off). Are you using the Pio remote or a different one to turn it on/off? Perhaps you have a bad unit or remote? If you have a universal remote or can reprogram one of your other remotes (my BD player, TV and cable remote all do this) to turn on/off the AVR then I would try that. I would guess the remote is more likely to be the issue than the AVR but you never know.

I did notice on my Harmony that I need to increase the delay settings slightly. When I first tried it the remote would send the power on and input change signals too close together and the AVR did not have time to respond to both commands. Increasing it by a few hundred milliseconds made the difference there though.
post #33 of 5173 Old 06-01-2009, 09:08 AM

I'm at the precipice. Ready to pull the trigger on the 1019. But no HDMI pass-through? Aghh. Not a complete dealbreaker, but I am a little bit hesitant now.
post #34 of 5173 Old 06-01-2009, 12:44 PM

This is my first home receiver, as I just moved into my first home. So far so good. I do have one question I hope someone can answer. Is it possible to get the volume to display on the screen when adjusted? I am unable to read the numbers on the receiver because of its location. It would also be awesome to see what input is selected. I hope this is possible
post #35 of 5173 Old 06-01-2009, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
comaknight, how do you mean pass-through? I know the 1019 has an option of decoding the audio or passing it off to the TV. And in the video department, the built in scaler has no effect at all on 1080p images off the cable box or BluRay.

Aibohphobia: The fear of palindromes
post #36 of 5173 Old 06-01-2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comaknight View Post

I'm at the precipice. Ready to pull the trigger on the 1019. But no HDMI pass-through? Aghh. Not a complete dealbreaker, but I am a little bit hesitant now.

You can pass the audio through the unit to the TV from an HDMI source but the AVR has to be on. The latest Yamaha receivers are the only ones I know of that let you do pass through when the AVR is in standby.
post #37 of 5173 Old 06-01-2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlilmikeyx View Post

This is my first home receiver, as I just moved into my first home. So far so good. I do have one question I hope someone can answer. Is it possible to get the volume to display on the screen when adjusted? I am unable to read the numbers on the receiver because of its location. It would also be awesome to see what input is selected. I hope this is possible

I don't think so but it would be a nice feature.
post #38 of 5173 Old 06-01-2009, 02:11 PM

Too bad that it doesn't have volume display.

Does anyone know of a way to use two inputs at once? I basically want to use the ipod/usb and play videogames. Trying to listen to music while playing wii and in the Fall listen to the radio broadcast of the Eagles game while watching.

possible?
post #39 of 5173 Old 06-01-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:

Too bad that it doesn't have volume display.

Does anyone know of a way to use two inputs at once? I basically want to use the ipod/usb and play videogames. Trying to listen to music while playing wii and in the Fall listen to the radio broadcast of the Eagles game while watching.

possible?

I don't know how it could. It would have to mix 2 different sources into the speakers simultaneously. The only way I could think of to do it would be to hook up the iPod via usb and your Wii directly to the TV with an RCA out into the AVR. Then set up a 2nd pair of speakers as Zone 2. You could then tune either the iPod or the Wii on via Zone 2, turn the other on in Zone 1 and tune the TV to the Wii input. Should work but you'll need an extra set of speakers.
post #40 of 5173 Old 06-02-2009, 05:12 AM

Liked: 12
I recently contacted pioneer about the power on problem.their reply to me was to make sure the main zone 2 switch on remote was set to main!?The problem happened again since I contacted pioneer,7 times now since I`ve had this avr. My urc 100 remote won`t turn avr on either.I can put up with this because of the avrs performance,but should`nt have to.If any of you out there are still in your return time I would return the unit,perhaps if enough people return their units pioneer will do something about? This is happening to too many owners to be a random problem.
post #41 of 5173 Old 06-02-2009, 11:11 AM

Chillout, you have to turn the KuroLink off to assign the HDMI inputs to TV/SAt ect.

Mine works fine, assignment is possible.

Hope it works out
post #42 of 5173 Old 06-02-2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:

I haven't experienced anything like that. I've been setting up my Harmony One and so have been testing the remote (including on/off) many, many times but have had no issues (I have KuroLink off). Are you using the Pio remote or a different one to turn it on/off? Perhaps you have a bad unit or remote? If you have a universal remote or can reprogram one of your other remotes (my BD player, TV and cable remote all do this) to turn on/off the AVR then I would try that. I would guess the remote is more likely to be the issue than the AVR but you never know.

I did notice on my Harmony that I need to increase the delay settings slightly. When I first tried it the remote would send the power on and input change signals too close together and the AVR did not have time to respond to both commands. Increasing it by a few hundred milliseconds made the difference there though.

I have tried with the supplied remote and with a Harmony 880 and the results are the same. I have put the Kurolink back on and changed the suboption under the Kurolink that talks about powering off when the TV powers off to no and now when I turn it off the little blue power light stays on but everything else turns off on the receiver. I think it is going into standby and it now responds to the Harmony remote. I can't for the life of me think why the Kurolink should have that impact of the functionality of the power with the remote but it seems to for me.

Harry
post #43 of 5173 Old 06-02-2009, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrys11 View Post

I have tried with the supplied remote and with a Harmony 880 and the results are the same. I have put the Kurolink back on and changed the suboption under the Kurolink that talks about powering off when the TV powers off to no and now when I turn it off the little blue power light stays on but everything else turns off on the receiver. I think it is going into standby and it now responds to the Harmony remote. I can't for the life of me think why the Kurolink should have that impact of the functionality of the power with the remote but it seems to for me.

Harry

KuroLink creates all sorts of weird dynamics (and I think the equivalent by other manufacturers occurs as well). I'm not sure how all of these things are programmed but it seems like a few years back someone thought this would be a 'hot' feature and everyone rushed to slap it on the units. It's clear that it was not implemented or tested well and - especially when you have a harmony or similar - it offers zero value (at least to me). Glad to hear your unit is responding to at least the Harmony.
post #44 of 5173 Old 06-03-2009, 05:54 AM

Hi all,

I'm new in this i just bought the pioneer vsx-919ahk with the polkaidio rm6880 and set it up the polkaudio way(figure 6 in the manual) using philips 14 gauge wire. After this i used the automatic setting up for surround sound (auto mcacc)than went well but the two back speaker indicated reverse phase (i checked the wires and red was on red and black too) then went to go next. After i was done might as well try this baby out but man where is the sound i have to put it at 20 db to enjoy a movie i have a sony bdp s350 set up in hdmi. when i turn on the volume from 80 db i only start hearing sound at 50 db man there has to be something wrong? my ipod touch is the same i have to put the volume pretty high to enjoy music.
could it be because i used 14 gauge wire or is it just that my pioneer is busted?
post #45 of 5173 Old 06-03-2009, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger101 View Post

Hi all,

I'm new in this i just bought the pioneer vsx-919ahk with the polkaidio rm6880 and set it up the polkaudio way(figure 6 in the manual) using philips 14 gauge wire. After this i used the automatic setting up for surround sound (auto mcacc)than went well but the two back speaker indicated reverse phase (i checked the wires and red was on red and black too) then went to go next. After i was done might as well try this baby out but man where is the sound i have to put it at 20 db to enjoy a movie i have a sony bdp s350 set up in hdmi. when i turn on the volume from 80 db i only start hearing sound at 50 db man there has to be something wrong? my ipod touch is the same i have to put the volume pretty high to enjoy music.
could it be because i used 14 gauge wire or is it just that my pioneer is busted?

That doesn't sound quite right. I get decent sound on my 1019 which should be exactly the same as your 919. For me, I get reasonable room level sound at about -35dB but I will typically pump it up to -27dB or so for a movie. Here are a few options:

1) Check the source - some BDs are just authored differently and need to be pumped up more. I've noticed considerable differences from disc to disc and between TrueHD, DTS-HD MA, and PCM. Try them all out.
2) Check the soundfield settings. Do you have any of the advanced surround options on? I try and turn all of these off when I can. They shouldn't attenuate the volume but you never know.
3) It could be your speakers. I've never owned Polks before but I understand they have low sensitivity which means you need more power to drive the same volume level. Do you know the sensitivity ratings of your speakers? You need considerably more power to run a set of 87dB speakers than you would a set of 90dB speakers.

One tip - if you find a volume level that works for you, you can set the 'Power On Volume Level' to that figure or something close to it. I think I have mine set to -45dB.
post #46 of 5173 Old 06-03-2009, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You can pass the audio through the unit to the TV from an HDMI source but the AVR has to be on. The latest Yamaha receivers are the only ones I know of that let you do pass through when the AVR is in standby.

The Denon XX9 series appear to do this as well which is awesome. Wish the PIO's had this feature.

PSN: okfireman
XBL: okfireman38
post #47 of 5173 Old 06-03-2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:

Did you set the HDMI input to the THROUGH option?
Sometimes my wife likes to just watch Directv through the TV with just the TV speakers. So you are saying the video and audio signal won't pass through the Pioneer to the TV, if the 1019 is off? I guess I could split the hdmi coming out of the Directv box, but have heard a lot of people have problems with a weak signal when doing this.
post #48 of 5173 Old 06-03-2009, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycore View Post

Did you set the HDMI input to the THROUGH option?
Sometimes my wife likes to just watch Directv through the TV with just the TV speakers. So you are saying the video and audio signal won't pass through the Pioneer to the TV, if the 1019 is off? I guess I could split the hdmi coming out of the Directv box, but have heard a lot of people have problems with a weak signal when doing this.

I haven't tested this feature at all so I'll let others comment. I made an assumption (yes, very dangerous) that in order to get the audio and video through the AVR to the TV that the AVR would need to be on and the AVR set to THROUGH. Perhaps not but that is how my old Sony worked.
post #49 of 5173 Old 06-03-2009, 04:00 PM

Quote:

According to another poster the new Onkyo 607 can pass through the audio/video in standby. you have to pick Enabled in the HDMI output menu.

On another note does the 1019 have Volume menu overlay on the video when using the AVR?
post #50 of 5173 Old 06-03-2009, 04:28 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sycore View Post

On another note does the 1019 have Volume menu overlay on the video when using the AVR?

no
post #51 of 5173 Old 06-03-2009, 06:39 PM

I'm having issues with it locking my ipod after a while...no sound but the display on the receiver reads that it's playing while the ipod screen goes black with a faint "pioneer" even after unplugging it. The ipod eventually unlocks so I recharge it and same thing...I have another pioneer receiver with an ipod hookup and no issues. Any suggestions?
post #52 of 5173 Old 06-03-2009, 07:13 PM

I have the power on issue when the unit sits for a while. Once I turn it on from the receiver itself all is fine. I have not messed with the KURO link on or off yet to test that. I will give that a try tomorrow.

I also use a harmony one remote and that will not work aswell. Untill I push the power button of course. Then that remote will work too. So I don't think it is a remote issue. It has to be something in the receiver that is messed up and not powering on after sitting.
post #53 of 5173 Old 06-04-2009, 04:03 AM

I was able to power on this morning after being off over night. I changed the KURO LINK (ON) and the DISP OFF (ON) not sure if it is both of those that got it to work or just one. Either way I will test again when I get home from work and see if it turns on.
post #54 of 5173 Old 06-04-2009, 01:18 PM

I sent an email to Pioneer CS asking if it will pass through an hdmi signal when off and with the THROUGH option selected. If anyone that has one can try it to confirm, I would appreciate it. I have it down to the 1019 or the onkyo 607, and this will help me decide.
post #55 of 5173 Old 06-04-2009, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vimont_j View Post

Chillout, you have to turn the KuroLink off to assign the HDMI inputs to TV/SAt ect.

Mine works fine, assignment is possible.

Hope it works out

Thanks a ton! I assumed it was set OFF by default so never even read that part of the manual.
post #56 of 5173 Old 06-04-2009, 04:44 PM

Quote:

My 12y/o Yamaha displayed volume on my TV but not this AVR. I guess Pioneer never expected someone to have this in a cabinet.
post #57 of 5173 Old 06-04-2009, 04:48 PM

Quote:

possible?

I dont think this is possible but if you find out, let me know.

When watching sports on the TV, I preffer to listen to the play by play on AM radio. When I switch to tuner, I loose the video signal.
post #58 of 5173 Old 06-04-2009, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillout View Post

I dont think this is possible but if you find out, let me know.

When watching sports on the TV, I preffer to listen to the play by play on AM radio. When I switch to tuner, I loose the video signal.

Don't know if this has been suggested before but you could do this by using Zone 2. You can either use Zone 2 pre outs or Amp assign and then turn the main zone to the video source (and turn volume down or mute it in zone 1) and zone 2 to your music/radio source. You won't get surround sound but it is not truly needed with radio or music anyway.

If you have a 7.1 setup already this could be pretty easy. Whenever you want to listen in this format switch AMP assign to zone 2 and then switch back when you want 7.1 sound. You could also just set up an extra set of speakers and leave them always set to zone 2 or use the zone 2 pre outs with a separate amp.
post #59 of 5173 Old 06-05-2009, 07:53 AM

Hello,
I need some help with the setup of a 919 (which I think uses the same manual as the 1019). I am replacing an 8yr old inexpensive Sony. I currently have a Sony KDS-60A3000 HDTV, 5.1 speakers, an older zenith DVD player (upgrading to PS3 this yr) and DirecTV standard (upgrading to HDTV Uverse next week). I have only worked with the setup briefly (will have more time this weekend) and did not get very far - the manual seem to have gaps.

Anyway, I currently have the DVD hooked directly to the TV via Component with a digital coax to the receiver. I hooked up a HDMI cable from the receiver to HDMI port #1 on TV. I used the FM antenna off the old receiver - it had a plastic male adapter. Right now, the old satellite box hooked up to the receiver via composite. I have only had time to try speaker setup with the tuner, but seem to be having some issues.

1 - For some reason he speaker setup has defaulted to multizone and I am not sure that is the right setup. From the manual, I could not determine which setup should be used for 5.1. Normal seemed like for 6.1 or 7.1, I have no need for a zone 2, and I don't think I need bi amp or B. Which should I use and how do I change it to the right setup (if not mulit)?

2 - I tried to use the tuner (pressed the tuner input button near the top of the remote) and the display would show 87.5 FM briefly. But, I could not adjust the stations using the tuner +/-. I also never got any sound. Am I using the wrong button to set to tuner? I also plugged in the setup mic and got nothing.

3 - I never got the graphic setup display to work. I thought I could using the tuner (have not tried DVD yet). I tried pressing the home menu and got nothing. I also assumed that since I have the HDMI going to #1 on TV that I would need to change the TV to HDMI #1 to view the setup display. Is that correct? I did get have to get the speaker setup off zone 2 (the manual said it prevents some things from working).

4 - Should I run the DVD player video thru the receiver or leave it straight to the TV (TV seems to upscale ok).

5 - I have not heard any sound yet. What is a good volume to start since I am not familiar with db volume control?

6 - Anything I should know about setting up Uverse during the install and connecting to the receiver?

These may be some very basic questions and maybe I am doing something wrong, but I did not have too much trouble setting up my Sony. Thanks in advance for any help.
post #60 of 5173 Old 06-05-2009, 11:02 AM

So I have been trying out the THROUGH option on my 1019. I can confirm the following:

1) You can transmit both a video and an audio signal to the TV when the AVR is set to THROUGH.
2) The TV speakers will produce all of the sound and no sound is output from the AVR speakers.
3) The AVR has to be on to get both video and audio.

I know many of you have mentioned that the Onkyo 607 may have this capability. I strongly encourage you to verify that with an Onk 607 owner first. I've read the manuals and it does not appear you can watch video or hear audio if the unit is off. Again, just like the Pio, the speakers will be off but the unit will need to be on, AFAIK. If this feature is really important to you then check out the new Yamaha line as the AVR does not need to be on. For me, I plan on always using either AVR speakers or headphones for late night viewing so it is not an important feature to me.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page