Forum Jump: 

post #571 of 5159 Old 07-14-2009, 11:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by googlegod View Post

I the heat may shorten the life span, If you have your DVD or VCR sitting on top, they will be hurt by the hotter temps that they do not run at.

thers 2-3 inches of space from top of receiver to shelf above it, and the shelf if I feel it ontop the receiver only gets luke warm so I dont think thats a big issue. If I put my hand above the receiver I only feel warm air above it. I think the ventilation is not too bad. It's just the metal top of the receiver that gets really hot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 5159 Old 07-14-2009, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wboffthelake View Post

While you saved about 10%, when you bought from newegg, you bought a product that has no warranty.

dealer networks are lame.

imo, the 1-year warranty from Pio is not worth very much -- better to purchase a warranty from SquareTrade. costs about 10% of the purchase, lasts for 3 years.

i never used to look at 3rd-party warranties because they didnt seem worth it, but the mainstream press is giving ST good feedback and the price (10%) is hard to argue against.

http://www.squaretrade.com
post #573 of 5159 Old 07-14-2009, 02:05 PM

I just bought the 1019 as a replacement for an Onkyo A/V receiver that failed. In the old setup, the receiver was used for sound only and all video sources were routed through a DVDO processor to an NEC overhead projector that has component inputs only and 720p maximum resolution.

To set up the 1019 using MCACC I now need to route the video signal through the new receiver, but won't need to use the 1019's digital video processing capabilities -- at least until I buy a 1080p projector with HDMI inputs. Question is: can I simply use component in/component out on the 1019 as a passthrough by turning off the "v.conv" function to see the MCACC interface yet retain the DVDO scaling/processing capabilities?
post #574 of 5159 Old 07-14-2009, 02:47 PM

Quote:

No problem, just buy the Extended Warranty, if it goes bad you get a new one! If your so worried about the pioneer going bad, than do not buy it! There are onkyos on neweggs sit that are just as good if not better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post

That's what I did - bought the extended warranty for $30 or so, bringing my total up to about $410 for the whole thing. I didn't buy through Newegg, but it was the same situation.

I didn't think it was possible to get extended warranties for warranties you don't have. Where'd you guys get your coverage from?
post #575 of 5159 Old 07-14-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnrick View Post

I just bought the 1019 as a replacement for an Onkyo A/V receiver that failed. In the old setup, the receiver was used for sound only and all video sources were routed through a DVDO processor to an NEC overhead projector that has component inputs only and 720p maximum resolution.

To set up the 1019 using MCACC I now need to route the video signal through the new receiver, but won't need to use the 1019's digital video processing capabilities -- at least until I buy a 1080p projector with HDMI inputs. Question is: can I simply use component in/component out on the 1019 as a passthrough by turning off the "v.conv" function to see the MCACC interface yet retain the DVDO scaling/processing capabilities?

When I tried turning off the "v.conv" function I wouldn't get an image (Component in/Hdmi Out...that might be what I'm doing wrong). Assuming the unit didn't act as a passthrough I just connected directly from my cable box to the tv, and used a toslink from the box to the receiver.

If you do get it to work, please, let me know what you did. I feel like I covered everything when trying.....but maybe I didn't
post #576 of 5159 Old 07-14-2009, 03:24 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halichopter View Post

My wife is always telling me to turn down the volume during explosions but then dialog is hard to hear. I prefer not to use ALC but sometimes I have to. I'd like to be able to switch back and forth easily and I'd like the ALC or Dynamic Volume to minimally degrade the sound while satisfying my wife without me constantly turning volume up and down.

The ALC works fairly well lowering and raising the volume level between commercials and different channels but will not auto-level a movie to reduce 'loud scene's'.

You may want to try increasing the volume to your center channel to get louder dialog and quieter explosions.
The speaker calibration setup really sets the center too low for average TV viewing.
post #577 of 5159 Old 07-14-2009, 03:28 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post

Yet another benefit of the KURO link. They really should default that to off. Good to see you got it going.

LOL,
If Pio shipped the units with default Kuro OFF, 95% of the people would be returning their systems because they couldnt turn ON the AVR with the remote.
post #578 of 5159 Old 07-14-2009, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
[quote=mrredskin;16821330]if he purchased with a CC, he should get at least a 90 day warranty through them even if it's not an authorized dealer. /QUOTE]

Which CC is that? CC (Visa and MC) extend manufacture's warranties up to an additional year. You might be thinking of accidental damage coverage, which is over and above any other coverage, such as homeowners or auto insurance you may have in force at the time of the damage. If you try to make a claim with your CC under accidental damage and you have other insurance that would cover it, the CC company will deny your claim.
post #579 of 5159 Old 07-14-2009, 05:07 PM

Quote:

No problem, just buy the Extended Warranty, if it goes bad you get a new one! If your so worried about the pioneer going bad, than do not buy it! There are onkyos on neweggs sit that are just as good if not better.

Relax. No one made any comment on the quality of the receiver or that they were "worried" it would go bad. Even the highest quality merchandise can suffer from manufacture-related defects. It would stink if someone bought a receiver for several hundred dollars, only to have something go wrong and not have any coverage. Your post and comment is a perfect example of what serves to hurt an otherwise helpful forum. This is a Pioneer owner's thread. If you want to extol the virtues of Onkyos, do it elsewhere.

An extended warranty can be a great purchase if the price is right. That said, with respect to electronics without a lot of mechanical parts, like an amplifier, if they are going to fail, they tend to fail early on.
post #580 of 5159 Old 07-14-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdelvecchio View Post

dealer networks are lame.

I agree, but it is what it is.

From reading the squaretrade site, it says that if you purchase an item from a store where the manufacturer won't honor the warranty, "Pricing and coverage for these items may be different." They call this their "ebay users" coverage, but it covers all graymarket/non-authorized dealer purchases, not just ebay. Just something to keep in mind, that with graymarket/non-authorized dealer items, the warranty cost may be more that the 10-15% approximation the site advertises.

Good info on squaretrade though. I highly recommend all our forum members read up on this site. I will keep them in mind for my future purchases.
post #581 of 5159 Old 07-14-2009, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnrick View Post

I'm very curious to know. Does the Pioneer get hotter or cooler than the Onkyo did? and which sounds better?
post #582 of 5159 Old 07-15-2009, 04:02 AM

Just setup the 919 with my 14 year old Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble II Sub/Sats bi-amped. Setup with MCACC was a breeze and the speakers sound better then ever. The amount of bass coming from the little dual 6" passive subwoofer is suprising. The 919 did an excellent job of blending the speakers. The way MCACC set the equalizer really brought my little speakers to life. I would prefer less bass and stronger dialog, but I will leave the tweaking for another time.

I am replacing an old Kenwood AVR. The Pioneer 919 can drive the speakers much loader and sounds much clearer at higher volumes.

The FM tuner seems very capable. I didn't check the senstivity of the tuner in the manual, but it is able to get a clean signal from my favorite station when other FM radios I own have much trouble. (The senstive FM tuner is the reason I selected Pioneer for my car stereo, but I was thinking to check the spec for the AVR)

For less then $350 shipped, I am extremely happy.

Now to have a friend come over with an SPL to compare MCACC vs manual adjustment.
post #583 of 5159 Old 07-15-2009, 04:33 AM

[quote=wboffthelake;16825567]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrredskin View Post

if he purchased with a CC, he should get at least a 90 day warranty through them even if it's not an authorized dealer. /QUOTE]

Which CC is that? CC (Visa and MC) extend manufacture's warranties up to an additional year. You might be thinking of accidental damage coverage, which is over and above any other coverage, such as homeowners or auto insurance you may have in force at the time of the damage. If you try to make a claim with your CC under accidental damage and you have other insurance that would cover it, the CC company will deny your claim.

haha, well don't accidentally damage it! read your CC terms. it varies. i know MC once doubled 30-day warranties or at least took it to 90 days if something happened to certain items
post #584 of 5159 Old 07-15-2009, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighairnee7 View Post

I'm very curious to know. Does the Pioneer get hotter or cooler than the Onkyo did? and which sounds better?

I'll let you know when I get it hooked up, but the Onkyo ran pretty warm. The reason I replaced it was intermittent muddiness on movie soundtracks when it was on any of the "enhanced" modes (Dolby, THX, etc.). Four years of relatively light use and it was trash. I bought the 1019 based on its sound performance -- we'll see.
post #585 of 5159 Old 07-15-2009, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eSos5 View Post

When I tried turning off the "v.conv" function I wouldn't get an image (Component in/Hdmi Out...that might be what I'm doing wrong). Assuming the unit didn't act as a passthrough I just connected directly from my cable box to the tv, and used a toslink from the box to the receiver.

If you do get it to work, please, let me know what you did. I feel like I covered everything when trying.....but maybe I didn't

Since HDMI out is digital and you're inputting a component analog signal, I'm guessing that turning off "v.conv" would defeat a passthrough. I'm hoping component to component will allow a passthrough. If not, there'll be a slightly used DVDO unit for sale
post #586 of 5159 Old 07-15-2009, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wboffthelake View Post

I agree, but it is what it is.
Good info on squaretrade though. I highly recommend all our forum members read up on this site. I will keep them in mind for my future purchases.

cool. i came across them when buying a blu-ray player from ebay. it is new in box but i am certain its not an authorized dealer. after the sale, i received an automated message from SquareTrade (must be partnered w/ sellers) w/ a custom ebay warranty offer for my player, complete w/ offer code. it was $31 for a $305 player.
post #587 of 5159 Old 07-15-2009, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalman42 View Post

I am running Polk monitor 50's. And CS1 as center. Says they are 8 ohms. It's installed on my bottom shelf. I have about "2 on top of space, about 10" on side left and right. And back is very open. My friend has this receiver in a completely open area and his gets very hot also using polk monitor 40's and CS1.

I don't think it's your speakers. I'm running Polk monitor 60's, cs1 and monitor 40's for sides and rears. I'll put a thermometer in the cabinet tonight and post my temp.
post #588 of 5159 Old 07-15-2009, 09:46 AM

Thanks for the headsup!

I called Pioneer, they did in fact say that Newegg is not an authoried dealer, and will not honor the warranty. So I canelled the order at Newegg and placed an order for the 919 at Walmart $348 plus tax delivered to the store for pickup no shipping cost. Should be here on the 30th.
post #589 of 5159 Old 07-15-2009, 10:11 AM

if WM wouldnt be adding nearly 10% tax (TN) i might go ahead and get the 919, but i'll just keep waiting for the 1019 from v's i got for $425. i think it's worth the extra $50, IMO
post #590 of 5159 Old 07-15-2009, 10:55 AM

The 919 is 350 from Amazon... For $50 I'd probably go with the 1019, but for $100 I'd go for the 919 unless you know you need the extra HDMI
post #591 of 5159 Old 07-15-2009, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swa pilot View Post

Thanks for the headsup!

I called Pioneer, they did in fact say that Newegg is not an authoried dealer, and will not honor the warranty. So I canelled the order at Newegg and placed an order for the 919 at Walmart $348 plus tax delivered to the store for pickup no shipping cost. Should be here on the 30th.

Just thinking , What if pioneer is using outlets like newegg to dump their B and C stock , just lower the price give no warranty and pioneer dumps its less than prefect units, with no retail store to go to and its shipped hundreds or thousands of miles away.. I just was thinking this and I am not saying this is fact , just thinking what if ..This could go for any brand and any seller !! It is a fact that newegg is a great place to shop, I have ordered many times with 100% all good. I also own a pioneer cd changer and that has also worked out good..
post #592 of 5159 Old 07-15-2009, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leewkelley View Post

Hey y'all,

New here to the AVS Forum and need a little advice concerning getting a new receiver. Here is the following list of what I am running and then getting to run through the receiver....using it mainly cause there is only ONE HDMI in the Sony TV...

Currently have:
---Sony 50 inch LCD Back Projection TV w/ONE HDMI IN (1080i Max.)
---Onkyo TX-DS474
---Phillips DVD711 (Run Component Cable into Sony 50inch TV
---Comcast HD DVR Cable Box (Only thing running HDMI to TV)
---Nintendo Wii (Running standard cables into TV and current Onkyo)
---Speakers are....Mains-Bose 302
Sub - JBL Powered (AC Power needed) 10"
Center&Surrounds - JBL Trio System

New Set Up Plan to get the Pioneer VSX-1019AH-K and a DVD Recorder (Panasonic DMR-EA18K) replacing the old Onkyo Receiver & Phillips DVD711 and run them all like this.

Into the new Pioneer VSX-1019AH-K (5.1Speaker Set up remains the same)
---Comcast HD DVR Cable Box (Out HDMI into Pioneer HDMI)
---Panasonic DMR-EA18K (Out HDMI into Pioneer HDMI)
---Nintendo Wii (Get a component cable to upconvert through Pioneer --Will that really make a difference since Wii output is currently 480p???)
---iPod (into Pioneer CD in...or Use the front USB in)
Using all the video sources to go OUT from the Pioneer VSX-1019AH-K HDMI into the ONE HDMI on the Sony 50" LCD TV while using the audio to the upmost ability for all audio sources.

--I also have a Logitech Harmony 520 to runthe old set up....or the new one.

--Looks like I will end up getting a Smart Strip Power Strip from Bits LTD so the powered JBL sub will shut down when then main piece (The receiver) will be shut off.

--DVD Note....I don't see us upgrading to BD anytime soon since I don't want to replaced a lot of our DVD collection, but you never know...might one day.

The question is....what improvements should I expect (or not) with this new Pioneer??
I have been searching for a while looking for a new receiver to handle all my HD needs.

Please answer all questions within to your best ability. I look forward to hearing what all you have to say for my current/changing AV situation.

Thanks,
Lee

The only response I got was "it'll sound better."

I know that I would benefit from cable management..

MY Main Question IS----Will i benefit from any upconversion video?!?!?!?

Please post any other benefits that might come to mind too??

Thanks,
Lee
post #593 of 5159 Old 07-15-2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leewkelley View Post

The only response I got was "it'll sound better."

I know that I would benefit from cable management..

MY Main Question IS----Will i benefit from any upconversion video?!?!?!?

Please post any other benefits that might come to mind too??

Thanks,
Lee

Its easy, NO not really , the HD comcast box is 1080i , the panasonic dvd has 1080p output and you won't want to use the pioneer upscale or/and upconversion when gaming cause of the LAG in control inputs ..All you need is a HDMI switching and you can buy a good one for 20 bucks. If you needed HD audio for Bluray than that would be another story..
post #594 of 5159 Old 07-15-2009, 12:16 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the headsup!

That is CRAZY. They wont warranty Newegg? They are one of the biggest retailrs in the world and offer great products and service. Sounds like a way to get out of warranting the product period.
post #595 of 5159 Old 07-15-2009, 12:33 PM

FYI, I called J&R and asked them to pricematch newegg (after coupon), and they gladly did. I got my 919 for 319$.
post #596 of 5159 Old 07-15-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:

Just thinking , What if pioneer is using outlets like newegg to dump their B and C stock , just lower the price give no warranty and pioneer dumps its less than prefect units, with no retail store to go to and its shipped hundreds or thousands of miles away.. I just was thinking this and I am not saying this is fact , just thinking what if ..This could go for any brand and any seller !! It is a fact that newegg is a great place to shop, I have ordered many times with 100% all good. I also own a pioneer cd changer and that has also worked out good..

Pioneer said they don't know where Newegg gets thier Pioneers, and that's the reason they won't honor the warranty.
post #597 of 5159 Old 07-15-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:

Pioneer said they don't know where Newegg gets thier Pioneers, and that's the reason they won't honor the warranty.

That really doesn't make any sense, They where made in the pioneer factory and pioneer knows what those units are all about and won't give them a warranty . Unless they are counterfeit, which by now they would of been taken off the market since pioneer knows about neweggs pioneer units for sale. I would guess that those units must be B class stock or less at carries no warranty. I know newegg is a good place for good deals , but sometimes you have think about it.. There are many retailers who sell pioneer without a warranty.
post #598 of 5159 Old 07-15-2009, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by got2go View Post

FYI, I called J&R and asked them to pricematch newegg (after coupon), and they gladly did. I got my 919 for 319$.

wow. is that shipped? that's $106 cheaper than what I'm waiting for with the 1019 from vann's. can someone explain what the zone 2 ipod difference between the two is? also, my tv is only a 720p/1080i, so i wouldn't be able to upconvert sd to 1080p anyway. the 1019 upconverts to 1080p, right? does the 919 just do 1080i or am i completely clueless and have no idea what im talking about? any difference in codecs supported, either?
post #599 of 5159 Old 07-15-2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by got2go View Post

The 919 is widely known as the best A/V receiver buy right now, period. That's why I bought it. Really, $319 (based on the above price match post) for an "almost" elite receiver. Can you say recession pricing? I knew you could. My initial impressions are, after about two weeks, that the unit sounds great.
post #600 of 5159 Old 07-15-2009, 02:16 PM

I'm sure Newegg sells new pioneer products where ever they get them, but I wanted the pioeneer manufactures warranty, that's the only reason i cancelled my order.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page