The "Official" Pioneer VSX-1019AH Owner's Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 5176 Old 07-18-2009, 08:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just received my Pioneer 919 and hooked it up last night. I have a Panasonic Blu Ray BD35 player, DirecTv HD Box hooked in via HDMI and a Wii hooked in with component cables. I also have a pair of Polk Monitor 60s hooked in.

I have my Blu Ray player set to PCM and the Pioneer displays PCM on the GUI. Is this right? Should it be True HD or something like that too? Or is that the best possible setting to have?

So far have been really impressed with this receiver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 5176 Old 07-18-2009, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Does your Unit heat up a lot? I purchased one a week ago and after 15 minutes of usage I found the Receiver (top) almost too hot to touch. I returned to Future Shop and the Returns Dept said this was the second Unit returned today for the same reason. Pity cause I liked it.
post #633 of 5176 Old 07-18-2009, 11:08 AM

It does get warm to borderline hot to the touch. But I don't think it gets too hot.
post #634 of 5176 Old 07-18-2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insync44 View Post

Does your Unit heat up a lot? I purchased one a week ago and after 15 minutes of usage I found the Receiver (top) almost too hot to touch. I returned to Future Shop and the Returns Dept said this was the second Unit returned today for the same reason. Pity cause I liked it.

How hot is to hot? I don't need anymore heat in my small room, with a large LCD and a 200watt sub, this could be a problem for me. I just returned a onkyo 607 for that same reason.
post #635 of 5176 Old 07-18-2009, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insync44 View Post

Ohh it gets real hot. People in this forum tried to make me think I was crazy saying theirs only got warm. But honestly it doesnt get much hotter than my little satelite receiver. If you look inside it, it has a huge heatsink. And that is actually where the heat is coming from I think. If thats the case I doubt it's going to break due to the heat. And it does video & audio processing, so I imagine it would get hot, any receiver that does both is going to get hot. I doubt your going to find one that doesnt.
post #636 of 5176 Old 07-18-2009, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlegod View Post

How hot is to hot? I don't need anymore heat in my small room, with a large LCD and a 200watt sub, this could be a problem for me. I just returned a onkyo 607 for that same reason.

How hot did the 607 get?
post #637 of 5176 Old 07-18-2009, 12:33 PM

I didn't like that is was very warm in stand-by , In use it was hot enough to warm up a 20x30 bedroom with 12ft ceiling. The lcd and the sub also get warm but the AVR got hot! It felt it when I went from the room to the hall way it was at lease 10 degrees hotter in the room.
post #638 of 5176 Old 07-18-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:

I didn't like that is was very warm in stand-by , In use it was hot enough to warm up a 20x30 bedroom with 12ft ceiling. The lcd and the sub also get warm but the AVR got hot! It felt it when I went from the room to the hall way it was at lease 10 degrees hotter in the room.

What did you replace it with?
post #639 of 5176 Old 07-18-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecutchins View Post

Okay, I just checked by temp inside my cabinet. The temp was 100 degrees and the 1019 is hot to the touch. I've opened my doors and turned on my cooling fans now. The official max operating temp is 95 degrees.

how do you turn the fans on/off?
post #640 of 5176 Old 07-18-2009, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Time to turn up the AC! A few years back I had to install a small air conditioner in my office/media room where all the new equipment was ending up. I try and keep it comfortable now ~70 degrees, but when everything is on and we're watching a movie it still gets upwards to 73-75 degrees in the room. I have an Onkyo 604 and they run hot to begin with, never mind any video processing going on. They are just a hot AVR

redjr...

redjr...
Pioneer Elite - A-20, DV-79AVi, BDP-HD1, SC-05

post #641 of 5176 Old 07-18-2009, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I need some advice. I had to replace my JBL PB12 sub today. Based on the reviews on this forum and the web, I went with the JBL L8400P. With the increase of wattage, 250w to 600w on the new sub I expected some earth shattering sound. Unfortunately, it doesnt sound any better then the 5 year old sub that went out. I reran the receivers calibration and it set the new sub at -7 db. It helped a little when I changed it to -2 db but it still isnt what I expected. Any advice or comments are appreciated.

Here is my setup
This is what I have :
Pioneer VSX-1019AH-K
Sony Playstation 3
JBL S312 II - front speakers
JBL S-Center II
JBL L8400P subwoofer
JBL S36II surround sound speakers (2 pair)
post #642 of 5176 Old 07-18-2009, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalman42 View Post

What did you replace it with?

I'm back to my old sony which is only DD, when life was simple. Now many BR movies are in DTS , so I need to go HD audio.
post #643 of 5176 Old 07-18-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjr View Post

Time to turn up the AC! A few years back I had to install a small air conditioner in my office/media room where all the new equipment was ending up. I try and keep it comfortable now ~70 degrees, but when everything is on and we're watching a movie it still gets upwards to 73-75 degrees in the room. I have an Onkyo 674 and they run hot to begin with, never mind any video processing going on. THey are just a hot AVR

redjr...

The house has central ac and only one stat in the center of the house. My AC costs are high as is. Getting new AVR should not be this hard. Panasonic got a cool AVR but no where to hear it locally. I may sound cheap but my costs are going up and my income is staying the same
post #644 of 5176 Old 07-18-2009, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpjnevada View Post

Just wait until that cooling fan fails inside your AVR digitalman. Meltdown!

Actually the cooling fan inside the AVR never kicks on in my living room. I think the receiver has to hit about 110 degrees or something first.
post #645 of 5176 Old 07-18-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalman42 View Post

how do you turn the fans on/off?

I'm using usb powered fans and they are connected to a powered usb hub that is plugged into a remote controlled receptacle. I use the same receptacle for my bias lighting. I'm currently running 1 fan but Monday night I'll have 4 fans in the cabinet. I orginally purchased the fan for my DirecTV DVR but the receiver is more important.
post #646 of 5176 Old 07-18-2009, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 20
[quote=googlegod;16847799]... I may sound cheap but my costs are going up and my income is staying the same[/QUOTE.
Yeah, I hear ya. Mine too. I couldn't believe how hot my Onkyo got(still does), when I first got it. I was warned that it was a hot running AVR. My rack is well ventilated, with 5" clearance on the sides, and about 3" on top, and the back fully exposed, so I don't have any real 'trapped' heat. But the top is still hot to the touch. This is the first AVR I've owned that gets this hot.

redjr..

redjr...
Pioneer Elite - A-20, DV-79AVi, BDP-HD1, SC-05

post #647 of 5176 Old 07-18-2009, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrl@ltDel View Post

I need some advice. I had to replace my JBL PB12 sub today. Based on the reviews on this forum and the web, I went with the JBL L8400P. With the increase of wattage, 250w to 600w on the new sub I expected some earth shattering sound. Unfortunately, it doesnt sound any better then the 5 year old sub that went out. I reran the receivers calibration and it set the new sub at -7 db. It helped a little when I changed it to -2 db but it still isnt what I expected. Any advice or comments are appreciated.

Here is my setup
This is what I have :
Pioneer VSX-1019AH-K
Sony Playstation 3
JBL S312 II - front speakers
JBL S-Center II
JBL L8400P subwoofer
JBL S36II surround sound speakers (2 pair)

It is my understanding that the extra wattage on the sub does not make it sound better than the 250W sub at reasonable play level. It just allows the sub to play much louder without distorting and/or bottoming out (like you would need to do when using sub in large open concept room).
post #648 of 5176 Old 07-18-2009, 07:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajoyce View Post

It is my understanding that the extra wattage on the sub does not make it sound better than the 250W sub at reasonable play level. It just allows the sub to play much louder without distorting and/or bottoming out (like you would need to do when using sub in large open concept room).

Thank you! I also didnt have it hooked up correctly

Now its thumping
post #649 of 5176 Old 07-18-2009, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjr View Post

Yeah, I hear ya. Mine too. I couldn't believe how hot my Onkyo got(still does), when I first got it. I was warned that it was a hot running AVR. My rack is well ventilated, with 5" clearance on the sides, and about 3" on top, and the back fully exposed, so I don't have any real 'trapped' heat. But the top is still hot to the touch. This is the first AVR I've owned that gets this hot.

redjr..

The hardware running hot and life span is not the big problem, heating up the room is. You really wouldn't think that little box would , but it does and add that to the lcd panel and the sub , wow, you can really feel it. If the vcr was parked on top of it , the tape life would be shortened for sure. Fans just move the heat away afew feet, but its still in the room. The LCD is just as bad if not worse, but I have to have that and all LCDs give off heat , plasmas are ten times worse! The old sony is cool and only gets hot when pushed hard. The new Denons, their threads never say a thing about heat, I'll have to check it out.
post #650 of 5176 Old 07-18-2009, 10:31 PM

Okay guys. I have a slight problem with my setup. When im watching movies when people are talking low. I can barely hear it unless I turn the volume to around 20-17. Then some actions scenes are really loud. I tried turning the center channel up. Didn't help much because half the actions scenes come from there also. Anyone have any good recommendations? Can anyone recommend best settings to level this out more,, ALC?? DRC??? Direct??? which are best for this to turn on and off?? Thanks in advance!!!!!! Or any other settings I didn't mention?
post #651 of 5176 Old 07-19-2009, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
i dont get it, for the past 3-4 pages 2 dudes (digitalman42 and googlegod) have totally dominated this thread with nothing but negative remarks towards this AVR. i usually see these forums as being the most helpful there is on the internet but now this one has 2 whiners in here who are probably turning off everyone who wanted to buy this AVR. as said before could you guys just leave the negativity out and let the uneducated ones like me benefit from the more than useful information being posted. Thanks

I've had the 919 for a week now but havent set it up as yet. I am waiting for my Kuro KRP 500M to arrive so i can set up everything at once. will definitely be back with any queries i have.
post #652 of 5176 Old 07-19-2009, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimwyn View Post

i dont get it, for the past 3-4 pages 2 dudes (digitalman42 and googlegod) have totally dominated this thread with nothing but negative remarks towards this AVR. i usually see these forums as being the most helpful there is on the internet but now this one has 2 whiners in here who are probably turning off everyone who wanted to buy this AVR. as said before could you guys just leave the negativity out and let the uneducated ones like me benefit from the more than useful information being posted. Thanks

I've had the 919 for a week now but havent set it up as yet. I am waiting for my Kuro KRP 500M to arrive so i can set up everything at once. will definitely be back with any queries i have.

I would have to disagree. People should hear both sides the negatives and the positives. Unless you are saying they are making statements about the receiver that are untrue. In that case I agree with you. But I think the receiver is great. The features are amazing for the price. Sound quality is very good. It's not without it's faults though and people should know them to make a informed buying decision.....
It does get very hot I would agree with them on that. Also I dont think it handles the auto level control very well. From what I understand some people say Denon does it alot better. Do you think that if the receiver is lacking in some areas people shouldnt know????
post #653 of 5176 Old 07-19-2009, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimwyn View Post

If you don't want to see the posts from specific people, go to your UserCP and edit your ignore list. You can block posts from specific users that way...
post #654 of 5176 Old 07-19-2009, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsmoker View Post

The dynamic range is my biggest gripe with the home theater concept and I'm sure most people that have wives and babies are dealing on daily basis with the issue of how to control this thing. The 1019ah gives you a lot of options and I keep experimenting every night, but after a month of tweaking I have not been able to find the setting that will not wake up my family at every gunshot and let me hear the dialogs at the same time.
Here are the controls I'm aware of:
- DRC setting on my BD source - I leave that on Auto and let the 1019ah do that job
- DRC setting on the 1019AH - tried that, but was not completely satisfied. I keep it on Auto.
- The LFE attenuator on the 1019AH. I used to have this on -10dB and the good thing is that it does not affect the bass on stereo sources. I changed my speakers and the dynamics changed and it's on 0db now.
- The dialog enhancement of the 1019AH. Tried that, but it seemed somewhat unnatural at times. It's off now.
- The midnight setting on the 1019ah. I think that works in conjunction with the DRC Auto mode, but it's not a total solution. I keep switching between loudness on and midnight on, leaving it most of the time on loudness.
- The ALC mode. In that mode the dialog enhancement is disabled, but you can program the effect level (50 by default). The perception is that the effect moves more or less of the signal from the side speakers to the center channel. I decided to keep it at 50. The drawback is that this is an autosurround function and if the source is two-channel as from some TV programs, it switches to stereo as opposed to the Dolby prologic II that I prefer and I have to keep switching between ALC and standard surround.
It seems like the ALC does the best job.
- The volume on my subwoofer - I resort to that when I'm tired of playing with the other knobs.

I watched Transformers 2 last weekend and I paid attention to the sound in the theater. It seemed that the dynamic range was not great, there wasn't much bass and treble, but the dialogs were very legible. That's great for the dialog, but the effects sounded worse than I expected and I'm sure for such a movie Michael Bay has put a lot of work into that. At home the effects in general sound great especially with my manual tweaking of the EQ, but the dialog is not nearly as legible as in the theater.
Just haven't found the golden setting yet.

I wish you had found the golden setting, I have the same problem. I am about to experiment with my 1019 and DRC and Midnight. My wife complains when I have the sound 'legible' for dialog and explosions happen. I would like a simple A/B switch to go from compressed to full dynamic range. Seems I have to program some multi-sequence macro into my remote to turn DRC and Midnight on and off, correct?

Anyone else with insight into the DRC and how to turn it on and off easily please post.
post #655 of 5176 Old 07-19-2009, 09:27 AM

I have a 1019 and a harmony 520 remote. Everything seems to work seemless with the remote except for the USB ipod GUI functions such as selecting playlists, changing songs, etc... I seem to have to use the remote that came with the receiver to navigate with the ipod GUI. Has anyone else had this problem or have a possible solution?
post #656 of 5176 Old 07-19-2009, 09:50 AM

Will this Pioneer upconvert any signal needing it to 1080i??
post #657 of 5176 Old 07-19-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halichopter View Post

I wish you had found the golden setting, I have the same problem. I am about to experiment with my 1019 and DRC and Midnight. My wife complains when I have the sound 'legible' for dialog and explosions happen. I would like a simple A/B switch to go from compressed to full dynamic range. Seems I have to program some multi-sequence macro into my remote to turn DRC and Midnight on and off, correct?

Anyone else with insight into the DRC and how to turn it on and off easily please post.

I hear you guys. This is the worst thing about HT systems. It almost makes me regret even getting one. Some people in the Denon forums say that the 1610 handles this much better. Do you guys think theres that much of a difference between the pioneer and the denon?? I would imagine all the receivers are pretty similiar when it comes to this. So far ALC seems to work best for me. But it seems to take all the oomph out of my sound. If you guys make any headway on this please let me know. Has anyone heard the denons?? is there that much of a diff?? I'm still within my 30 day return, even though I think BestBuy will charge me restocking fee.
post #658 of 5176 Old 07-19-2009, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighairnee7 View Post

I hear you guys. This is the worst thing about HT systems. It almost makes me regret even getting one. Some people in the Denon forums say that the 1610 handles this much better. Do you guys think theres that much of a difference between the pioneer and the denon?? I would imagine all the receivers are pretty similiar when it comes to this. So far ALC seems to work best for me. But it seems to take all the oomph out of my sound. If you guys make any headway on this please let me know. Has anyone heard the denons?? is there that much of a diff?? I'm still within my 30 day return, even though I think BestBuy will charge me restocking fee.

All AVRs with Audyssey work about the same way. Pioneer has their way of doing this as does Yamaha . DD and DTS compression also works the same in all AVRs. I seems the menu is the place to set it up. Its not 100% clear to me , but if you change something like the EQ , it will also change other settings, Their seems to be noway to lock just one setting with some settings , they all work as system. Don't feel bad this would make most carzy. You just have to ask and play with the units, most manuals are good but far form telling you everything you need to know. You may need to read the manual a few times. Not so easy!
post #659 of 5176 Old 07-19-2009, 10:30 AM

Quote:

All AVRs with Audyssey work about the same way. Pioneer has their way of doing this as does Yamaha . DD and DTS compression also works the same in all AVRs. I seems the menu is the place to set it up. Its not 100% clear to me , but if you change something like the EQ , it will also change other settings, Their seems to be noway to lock just one setting with some settings , they all work as system. Don't feel bad this would make most carzy. You just have to ask and play with the units, most manuals are good but far form telling you everything you need to know. You may need to read the manual a few times. Not so easy!

So your saying if I sold this and got a denon 1610/590 the issue with explosions being loud when dialogue being up is going to be very similiar?? I'm just wondering if theres a noticable improvement on this with the Denon. This is probably the single most important issue to me. You say all AVR's with Audyssey work the same, but pioneer doesnt use Audyssey it uses the MCACC or whatever.
post #660 of 5176 Old 07-19-2009, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halichopter View Post

Its like a small boat in rough seas. I've tried most of them , they all work some of the time , none of them worked all the time as I wished they would. Most due to the input. TV is by far the worse and getting more uncontrolable very day. The DRC settings in DVD players can be changed and DD and DTS compression to max . These settings can be locked
This works well with TV , But when it switchs to non DD ,you get blasted out of the room! That were the ALC come in, But they are easly fooled by some guy on cable who wants to sell you something you don't want.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page