The "Official" Pioneer VSX-1019AH Owner's Thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 5187 Old 07-23-2009, 03:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone with the new AV-R also have a Pioneer 5080 Kuro? I don't think the TV does the Kuro Link, but I understand there is an additional cable that can connect the 2 so that the volume control of the reciever is broadcast on the TV. It's a big deal for me, so if anyone has done it, or knows it can't be done, please let me know. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 5187 Old 07-23-2009, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarBowl View Post

The harmony remotes have a bunch of commands that start with Usb (UsbNext, UsbPrevious, etc). But those commands didn't work for the ipod. So I re-learned them from the original Pioneer remote and it works fine. Make sure you push Ipod on the pioneer remote before beaming the commands to the harmony.

I was able to get it to work quite well be setting up a "phantom" iPod dock. I then taught the 880 a few commands from the 919 remote.
post #723 of 5187 Old 07-23-2009, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by killahb36 View Post

Quick question been trying to gather from searching but will the 1019 and 919 pass audio and video to the tv while in standby over hdmi if i want to watch tv using the tv speakers, without having to turn the avr on?? Thx all.

anyone have a yes or no for me??
post #724 of 5187 Old 07-23-2009, 07:38 PM

Quote:

Quick question been trying to gather from searching but will the 1019 and 919 pass audio and video to the tv while in standby over hdmi if i want to watch tv using the tv speakers, without having to turn the avr on?? Thx all.

No passthrough through HDMI when powered off or in standby. AVR must be powered on for audio/video passthrough. I believe there are posts concerning this issue on the first page of this thread. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post16552351

By the way, I received my cooling unit (120mm fan, thermoswitch, and wall wart) I purchased through ebay for my VSX-919AH, and it works wonderfully.
post #725 of 5187 Old 07-23-2009, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post

Ok - I believe you're being bitten by the HDMI CEC implementations on both the TV and the receiver. This is an HDMI feature that lets one component control multiple other components via HDMI. It is meant to let you use one remote to turn on / control other devices. In Pioneer components, it's called "KURO Link" and in Mitsubishi components it's called "NetCommand for HDMI " (I think).

What you want to do is to turn these off. The main problem is that while it does function, it doesn't usually work that well if your components come from different companies.

So turn off KURO Link on the Pioneer receiver, then turn off the "NetCommand for HDMI " on the TV. This should avoid at least some if not all the issues you're seeing.

Disabling Kuro Link was pretty straightforward on the Pioneer. But I couldn't find anywhere that I could disable the Net Command on my display. The manual says that the xx733 doesn't even support Net Command, only the xx734 does. I called Mitsubishi, explained the issues I was having. The support representative asked me what firmware version my display was (it's 009.03). He then requested the serial number, and Mitsubishi is going to send me a USB flash drive with a firmware update for the problem.

I will post my findings after I update (incase anyone else runs into this problem).

Thanks for the help.
post #726 of 5187 Old 07-24-2009, 12:42 AM

Hi,

I was wondering if there is way to disable subwoofer when listening to ipod in the vsx919? If yes, will the receiver remember this preference?

Thanks
post #727 of 5187 Old 07-24-2009, 01:15 AM

Ok, problem not solved, not entierly.

If my TV is not turned on the 919 gets a DHCP Error that flashes on the display constantly. It doesn't matter if I'm playing a CD from my BD player or listening to an iPhone, if the TV is off then the error is displayed, if the TV is on then there is no problem.

Any thoughts? Thank you.
post #728 of 5187 Old 07-24-2009, 03:21 AM

Hi,

I ordered an vsx-919. I am just wondering if the AVR will play video's/pictures that are recorded on a Iphone?

How is the interface, is it quite the same as itunes? In itunes your are not able play recorded video's from your iphone, you have to go to Windows Explorer (or iphoto on Mac) and open the files(video's/pics) there.
I'm wondering if the AVR can handle this, otherwise you have to convert the recorded video's to an iphone format before you can play them on the AVR.

Regards,

bas
post #729 of 5187 Old 07-24-2009, 07:25 AM

I have the 1019 connected via HDMI to a Panasonic 54-G10 Plasma. All inputs work fine (including cable box on HDMI) except that I get no picture when the Blu-ray (BD80) is hooked up via HDMI (works fine through component but whats the point!). I have disabled Kurolink, made sure the receiver is powered on before the TV and Blu-ray but I get a quick picture of what should come up, some flicker then nothing.

Anyone else with this problem? Can anyone recommend a blu-ray player (samsung, LG) that works for them without fail through the 1019?

Thanks.
post #730 of 5187 Old 07-24-2009, 07:33 AM

I tried searching through the 25 pages of this thread but couldn't find an answer, I apologize if it's already been asked.

I have my setup programmed through my Harmony universal remote and my DirecTV cable box connected via the HDMI 1 port. When I press the "watch tv" button my remote, my receiver powers on and switches to HDMI 1, but then a few seconds later it automatically switches over to TV/SAT. How do I change the default channel to HDMI 1?
post #731 of 5187 Old 07-24-2009, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSecovnie View Post

I tried searching through the 25 pages of this thread but couldn't find an answer, I apologize if it's already been asked.

I have my setup programmed through my Harmony universal remote and my DirecTV cable box connected via the HDMI 1 port. When I press the "watch tv" button my remote, my receiver powers on and switches to HDMI 1, but then a few seconds later it automatically switches over to TV/SAT. How do I change the default channel to HDMI 1?

Go into the System Setup, Input Setup, and assign the HDMI-1 input to your TV/SAT. The Kuro Link feature must be turned off in your receiver to assign HDMI sources like this. Are you using Kuro Link ?

Otherwise, your remote may be programmed incorrectly. It should not be switching to HDMI-1 and then to TV/SAT unless you somehow told it to do that.

Try using your pioneer remote to turn your system on and select HDMI-1. If your system doesn't switch to TV/SAT in a few seconds, then that command must be coming from your harmony remote.
post #732 of 5187 Old 07-24-2009, 08:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

anyone have a yes or no for me??

from page 58:
"When the HDMI option in Setting the Audio options on page 64 is set to THROUGH, the sound will be heard through your TV, not from this receiver."

Of course, it doesn't say if the receiver needs to be on or off.
post #733 of 5187 Old 07-24-2009, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemoss1@gmail. View Post

Anyone with the new AV-R also have a Pioneer 5080 Kuro? I don't think the TV does the Kuro Link, but I understand there is an additional cable that can connect the 2 so that the volume control of the reciever is broadcast on the TV. It's a big deal for me, so if anyone has done it, or knows it can't be done, please let me know. Thanks![IMG]http://*****************/image.php[/IMG]

I'd like to know this too, anyone?
post #734 of 5187 Old 07-24-2009, 09:08 AM

Quote:

Go into the System Setup, Input Setup, and assign the HDMI-1 input to your TV/SAT. The Kuro Link feature must be turned off in your receiver to assign HDMI sources like this. Are you using Kuro Link ?

Otherwise, your remote may be programmed incorrectly. It should not be switching to HDMI-1 and then to TV/SAT unless you somehow told it to do that.

Try using your pioneer remote to turn your system on and select HDMI-1. If your system doesn't switch to TV/SAT in a few seconds, then that command must be coming from your harmony remote.

It's not the Harmony remote, it was doing that before I set it up. When I use the receiver remote to power on, it switches to TV/SAT after about 5 seconds. I'll try disabling Kuro Link and changing the system setup when I get home from work.

This is my setup:
Pioneer 919 (HDMI out to tv)
Samsung 58" Plasma
DirecTV HD box (HDMI out to HDMI 1 input)
Samsung BD-P1600 (HDMI out to BD input)
2x Klipsch XB-10 bookshelf speakers

Another dumb question, I'm currently using a 2 channel setup with my two Klipsch bookshelf speakers, I ran the MCACC and my receiver automatically sets itself to STEREO. What setting should I set the receiver to? TrueHD?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to help a beginner like myself
post #735 of 5187 Old 07-24-2009, 09:24 AM

Quote:

from page 58:
"When the HDMI option in Setting the Audio options on page 64 is set to THROUGH, the sound will be heard through your TV, not from this receiver."

Of course, it doesn't say if the receiver needs to be on or off.

Does anyone know if the receiver has to be on, will it pass through while in standby mode??
post #736 of 5187 Old 07-24-2009, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I've been looking at this receiver and it seems pretty good. My question to you knowledgeable folks is; I have a Pioneer Elite 54tx which doesn't have HDMI (only analog 7.1 inputs). Would I have a drop in sound quality if I were to buy the VSX1019 ? Is it worth the change ?
post #737 of 5187 Old 07-24-2009, 09:45 AM

Wondering if there is way to disable subwoofer when listening to ipod in the vsx919? If yes, will the receiver remember this preference?

Thanks
post #738 of 5187 Old 07-24-2009, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSecovnie View Post

It's not the Harmony remote, it was doing that before I set it up. When I use the receiver remote to power on, it switches to TV/SAT after about 5 seconds. I'll try disabling Kuro Link and changing the system setup when I get home from work.

This is my setup:
Pioneer 919 (HDMI out to tv)
Samsung 58" Plasma
DirecTV HD box (HDMI out to HDMI 1 input)
Samsung BD-P1600 (HDMI out to BD input)
2x Klipsch XB-10 bookshelf speakers

Another dumb question, I'm currently using a 2 channel setup with my two Klipsch bookshelf speakers, I ran the MCACC and my receiver automatically sets itself to STEREO. What setting should I set the receiver to? TrueHD?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to help a beginner like myself

I'm using a Harmony 670 without a problem. I did the following to avoid any clashes with the Harmony:

1. Set the KURO Link to off.
2. Set any other HDMI CEC implementations for other components to off.
3. Check your Power on sequence, make sure your components are powering on the way you want them to. I have my TV on first, the 1019 second, other components follow depending on your activity - Ex: "Watch FIOS" (renamed) does:

a. - TV on.
b. - 1019 on.
c. - FIOS HD DVR on.
d. - (On 1019) Select TV/SAT
e. - (On TV) - selct HDMI Port 1

so on. I also mapped the HDMI-1 port to TV/SAT.

As to the setting, it should have detected your speakers, stereo applies to your sound processing, so you must have a stereo signal coming into the 919.

TrueHD and other Hi def codecs are part of the input signals, and are not settings controlled by the 919/1019. If you have a BluRay player, for example, you might pop in "The Dark Knight". If you look at its sound settings (in languages), you may see several choices - TrueHD, DTS-HD-MA, Dolby Digital, etc. (I'm not sure which choice is available). If you select one of these, the movie will play using that sound selection.

The reason you might want to do this is that some of these (DTS-HD-MA, TrueHD) are lossless codecs. This means that all of the sound that was in the original movie master was caught when copied to the disk and will be replayed when it's fed to the 1019, which is responsible for decoding the sound. So selecting these is good, because all of the sound from the original movie is being replayed. The alternative is using the "lossy" codecs like Dolby Digital, etc. which are still very good, but lose some of the sound as they are being played off the disk.

The good thing is that the 919 and 1019 are capable of decoding these advanced sound codecs and will handle all (lossy and lossless) very well.

These codecs will be generated by your player and will be detected automatically by the receiver and decoded. The use of codecs is not limited to BluRay or HD-DVD, all media sources use them, so you may see your TV broadcast switch from STEREO to DIGITAL when it detects a commercial and then switches to an HD broadcast that supports multichannel 5.1 or some other configuration.

In your case, you will still see the TrueHD if you have a player that can generate it - for instance, my HD-DVD player supports this, so I set it up to bitstream its data to the 1019 and the TrueHD notice lights up.

Since you have a two channel system, the lossless TrueHD signal will downmix to a two channel signal and you'll get that sound.
post #739 of 5187 Old 07-24-2009, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Jeepers!, a barrage of sooooooo many questions! I wouldn't even know where to begin with answers (not that I have many of the answers anyway.. still too new myself to the convoluted mysteries of these vsx family of receivers and modern codec/interface issues in general).

It's times like this that make me appreciate insanely charitable members such as batpig (denon guru) or macfan24 (pioneer guru) who answer question after question after....

post #740 of 5187 Old 07-24-2009, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by QGGeneric View Post

By the way, I received my cooling unit (120mm fan, thermoswitch, and wall wart) I purchased through ebay for my VSX-919AH, and it works wonderfully.

Good to hear. I've been contemplating the 80mm fan pair setup, with thermostat permanently set at 82 (or similar) degrees. It's a cheaper option and I'm surmising that he chose a reasonable temperature for this permanent fan setting, so why not save some money.

If you settle upon a particular temperature, please let us know what it is, after you've had a chance to experiment, etc.

post #741 of 5187 Old 07-24-2009, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post

Good to hear. I've been contemplating the 80mm fan pair setup, with thermostat permanently set at 82 (or similar) degrees. It's a cheaper option and I'm surmising that he chose a reasonable temperature for this permanent fan setting, so why not save some money.

If you settle upon a particular temperature, please let us know what it is, after you've had a chance to experiment, etc.

With my 120mm, and adjustible thermoswitch, in the instructions he recommended setting it at 86 or slightly lower to start, then adjust as warranted. The fan is so quiet, I can barely hear it running even when the receiver is off. I was cranking Rush - Moving Pictures at 0 to +5 (Peaks on my SPL meter topped 104db from my listening position) through all 5 channels (Neo:6 Music setting) for 30+ minutes....receiver got warm, but not hot. It works.
post #742 of 5187 Old 07-24-2009, 10:49 AM

Quote:

Does anyone know if the receiver has to be on, will it pass through while in standby mode??

Check post #724...
post #743 of 5187 Old 07-24-2009, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by first_bas View Post

Hi,

I ordered an vsx-919. I am just wondering if the AVR will play video's/pictures that are recorded on a Iphone?

How is the interface, is it quite the same as itunes? In itunes your are not able play recorded video's from your iphone, you have to go to Windows Explorer (or iphoto on Mac) and open the files(video's/pics) there.
I'm wondering if the AVR can handle this, otherwise you have to convert the recorded video's to an iphone format before you can play them on the AVR.

Regards,

bas

bas-
Nevermind, I was confused. It sounds like you cannot playback videos using the controls of the receiver but have to use the controls on the iphone/ipod. (See post #201)
post #744 of 5187 Old 07-24-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by profitman View Post

bas-
Nevermind, I was confused. It sounds like you cannot playback videos using the controls of the receiver but have to use the controls on the iphone/ipod. (See post #201)

You CAN use the receiver's controls (via GUI) to playback audio and video from ipod/iphone. It's on page 43 of the owner's manual, Note 1: It says functionality depends on what generation IPOD you have and what version of Ipod software it is running. Ipod shuffle is not supported. Note 2 also states that the controls of the Ipod will not function when connected to the receiver.
post #745 of 5187 Old 07-24-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by profitman View Post

Check post #724...

sorry thank you
post #746 of 5187 Old 07-24-2009, 05:19 PM

Quote:

I have the same issue, also using a harmony, and turning off the kuro link worked for me.
post #747 of 5187 Old 07-24-2009, 11:03 PM

Just went out and purchased mine tonight. So far I am very impressed with the upgrade from my Sony STR-DE697. Surround sound always sounded very unrealistic with the sony, things just didn't seem to mate up. However the 1019 makes my cheap speaker setup sound like a whole new system, I couldn't be more impressed. Now I just can't wait for my Jamo E680's and S60 center to show up, hopefully they are as much of an improvement as this upgrade.
post #748 of 5187 Old 07-25-2009, 11:18 AM

Does this receiver does upsampling of audio anymore? Because on the front display, I always sees 96khz. if I could upsampling this to 192khz, how do I do that? Is there a option of something? Thanks in advance.

Pioneer 49txi receiver, Pioneer 969avi DVD player, Focus Audio classic series FC-70*5, Focus Audio classic series center*1
post #749 of 5187 Old 07-25-2009, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Wrong Section
post #750 of 5187 Old 07-25-2009, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have had my 1019 probably for around a month and since my ATI 4670 does not handle Bitstream I have learned to live with a pretty "plain Jane" Display on the 1019. I would have a small "pcm" on the display and mainly kept it on "AUTO SURROUND" which would display STEREO - all the time. That was about it ...... UNTIL yesterday..........I don't know exactly what WOKE the 1019 up but maybe it had something to do with installing the NEW ATI 9.7 Drivers.....that is the only thinng that I had changed that i know of.....and I noticed last night that instead of STEREO as the "main front display" it had changed to larger PCM and my 7 speakers were/are displayed no in the upper left as in the manual......and it would tell me, like my old Onkyo, what the TV station was broadcasting in......COOL!!!!

Anybody have any ideas as to WHY now? Think it was the 9.7 drivers that triggered something?

An unrelated, I think, problem, after the new drivers my Widows Media Center Audio goes KOO KOO, starts stuttering and repeating and then shuts down and tells you to check Video drivers and/or restart WMC....BUT - sound fine using ATI Media Center or anything else for that matter????

michael
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page