The "Official" Pioneer VSX-1019AH Owner's Thread - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 5172 Old 08-02-2009, 05:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Will spades fit on the back of the binding post for pioneer VSX-1019AH-K i was looking at the owners manual and it only shows a plain wire setup or bannana plugs? I dont have the unit yet and i am picking it up at the end of the week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 5172 Old 08-02-2009, 06:48 PM

How does everyone like the video processing with this receiver?
I'm thinking of picking it up tonight or sometime tomorrow ..
post #903 of 5172 Old 08-02-2009, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
hey i have finished set up but i cant get my receiver to show LPCM that is being output byt the PS3 could someone give me the link or tell me what settings i need to have the PS3 on?

i know it's in the audio settings but i dont know which boxes to check....i am running a 5.1 system at the moment.
post #904 of 5172 Old 08-02-2009, 08:54 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAPOLUCA View Post

Will spades fit on the back of the binding post for pioneer VSX-1019AH-K i was looking at the owners manual and it only shows a plain wire setup or bannana plugs? I dont have the unit yet and i am picking it up at the end of the week.

Not without a lot of work, if at all.
I'd highly recommend banana plugs, or if you've got yourself convinced to use just wire, solder tin the ends.

Diane
post #905 of 5172 Old 08-02-2009, 10:09 PM

I have just a TV and this receiver.

The cable line (no cable box, just the cable line) is connected to the TV coaxial input.

The receiver is connected to TV with HDMI (receiver's HDMI "assignable" to one of TV's HDMI in - not sure why pioneer manual says "assignable", what does that mean) and optical cable (I connected optical cable based on reading the manual, it says to connect one of the following to get sound: analog, digital coax or optical - not sure why the manual says this, since HDMI carries video and audio).

I set my TV's input to the HMDI #, and turn on the receiver, however, when I try to get the On-Screen_Display on my TV it doesnt work. Any ideas why???
post #906 of 5172 Old 08-03-2009, 01:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 175
So are you sending audio out from the tv via it's optical "out" and into one of the receiver's optical inputs?

If this is the case, the hdmi cable back into the tv is doing nothing for you in terms of supplying either audio or video: the video is already being supplied to your tv via the cable line. Then the audio is being supplied to your receiver from the tv (originating from the cable line), so there is no need to route audio back to the receiver by use of an hdmi cable.

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #907 of 5172 Old 08-03-2009, 02:31 AM

Hi everyone.

Just purchased a Pioneer vsx-919.
I've past my week-end tunning my new amp !!!
Grate results

I'm using the amp with "surround back" mode to "5.1 + speaker B".

But I've got a question :
Is it possible to adjust the volume, tone of the 2 speakers B ?

When I select "5.1 + speaker B" I can't modify anything on speakers B !!!

Thanks in advance,
Olivier (from Paris)
post #908 of 5172 Old 08-03-2009, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnstown View Post

I have just a TV and this receiver.

The cable line (no cable box, just the cable line) is connected to the TV coaxial input.

The receiver is connected to TV with HDMI (receiver's HDMI "assignable" to one of TV's HDMI in - not sure why pioneer manual says "assignable", what does that mean) and optical cable (I connected optical cable based on reading the manual, it says to connect one of the following to get sound: analog, digital coax or optical - not sure why the manual says this, since HDMI carries video and audio).

I set my TV's input to the HMDI #, and turn on the receiver, however, when I try to get the On-Screen_Display on my TV it doesnt work. Any ideas why???

The connection you want (I think) is Cable Box/Satellite Box -> HDMI1 or HDMI2 on 1019 -> HDMI out of the 1019 -> Whatever HDMI input on the TV you want.

As you've noted, and is mentioned above by CruelInventions, since HDMI carries both video and sound, you don't need any other cabling. The digital signals (coax, optical) don't provide better sound than the HDMI, so there's no benefit to an extra connection.

Assignable means that there is the concept of functions that the 1019 uses, as an example, the TV/SAT function can be assigned to the HDMI1 input, so if you have a cable or satellite box, you can connect it to the HDMI1 input and it automatically is identified with the TV/SAT function, so if you hit TV/SAT on the remote, it knows that you mean the HDMI1 input. It's for convenience, and it lets you do some tricks like - I renamed the TV/SAT function to "FIOS" since that's the TV service I have. Pg 40 on the manual describes the functions and which ones can be assigned to HDMI inputs or other inputs.

I had a problem at first getting the OSD up, mainly because the button settings on the remote confused me. Getting to the OSD requires you to hit and then the house icon on the lower left corner of the wheel in the middle of the remote. There are two buttons, the first is the round one on the top left of the remote, which turns the power on/off. The second one is surrounded by a rectangle and is on the lower right side of the remote - this is the one you want to use first, then hit the category/home menu/ipod control button (the house) and that should bring the OSD up.
post #909 of 5172 Old 08-03-2009, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogou View Post

Hi everyone.

Just purchased a Pioneer vsx-919.
I've past my week-end tunning my new amp !!!
Grate results

I'm using the amp with "surround back" mode to "5.1 + speaker B".

But I've got a question :
Is it possible to adjust the volume, tone of the 2 speakers B ?

When I select "5.1 + speaker B" I can't modify anything on speakers B !!!

Thanks in advance,
Olivier (from Paris)

Congratulations on your new receiver and welcome.

There is a slide (left and right) switch on the bottom of the remote. It selects the main (5.1) area on the left and Zone 2 on the right. If you slide it to the right and use the volume, I think that will work for you.
post #910 of 5172 Old 08-03-2009, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post

I had a problem at first getting the OSD up, mainly because the button settings on the remote confused me. Getting to the OSD requires you to hit and then the house icon on the lower left corner of the wheel in the middle of the remote. There are two buttons, the first is the round one on the top left of the remote, which turns the power on/off. The second one is surrounded by a rectangle and is on the lower right side of the remote - this is the one you want to use first, then hit the category/home menu/ipod control button (the house) and that should bring the OSD up.

Thank goodness you mentioned this. Im laughing now, but it wasnt so funny last night. That second receiver button on bottom right is what did it. Needless to say, I was turning on/off and getting nowhere, by continually trying to get OSD using the reciever button on top left. I feel kinda dumb now.
post #911 of 5172 Old 08-03-2009, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimwyn View Post

hey i have finished set up but i cant get my receiver to show LPCM that is being output byt the PS3 could someone give me the link or tell me what settings i need to have the PS3 on?

i know it's in the audio settings but i dont know which boxes to check....i am running a 5.1 system at the moment.

please help....
post #912 of 5172 Old 08-03-2009, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The connection you want (I think) is Cable Box/Satellite Box -> HDMI1 or HDMI2 on 1019 -> HDMI out of the 1019 -> Whatever HDMI input on the TV you want.

As you've noted, and is mentioned above by CruelInventions, since HDMI carries both video and sound, you don't need any other cabling. The digital signals (coax, optical) don't provide better sound than the HDMI, so there's no benefit to an extra connection.........................................

Yes, but the thing is.. he's (or she's) not connecting to a cable or satellite box. Johnstown's going right from the wall jack with the coax cable and attaching that directly to the tv, which I take to mean that they have standard analog cable service. Therefore, unless I am missing some obvious detail here, your recommended connection sequence above would not nor cannot apply to this situation. The only benefit to 'hdmi cable out to tv' in this situation is for managing receiver settings (crossovers, inputs, mcacc, etc.)

Then again, since johnstown hasn't specifically replied to either of our posts with respect to this issue, maybe this is a moot point, especially if only using a pair of speakers (since optical out from the tv limits audio options).

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #913 of 5172 Old 08-03-2009, 09:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:

please help....

have you tried the ps3 subforum?

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #914 of 5172 Old 08-03-2009, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post

Yes, but the thing is.. he's (or she's) not connecting to a cable or satellite box. Johnstown's going right from the wall jack with the coax cable and attaching that directly to the tv, which I take to mean that they have standard analog cable service. Therefore, unless I am missing some obvious detail here, your recommended connection sequence above would not nor cannot apply to this situation. The only benefit to 'hdmi cable out to tv' in this situation is for managing receiver settings (crossovers, inputs, mcacc, etc.)

Then again, since johnstown hasn't specifically replied to either of our posts with respect to this issue, maybe this is a moot point, especially if only using a pair of speakers (since optical out from the tv limits audio options).

Ah - completely overlooked that. My bad. This means that he will only get stereo through the digital inputs, isn't that correct?
post #915 of 5172 Old 08-03-2009, 09:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnstown View Post

Thank goodness you mentioned this. Im laughing now, but it wasnt so funny last night. That second receiver button on bottom right is what did it. Needless to say, I was turning on/off and getting nowhere, by continually trying to get OSD using the reciever button on top left. I feel kinda dumb now.

don't feel dumb... that "mistake" is right up there with the "plug the subwoofer into the pre-in instead of the pre-out" as a mistake we've all made...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #916 of 5172 Old 08-03-2009, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

have you tried the ps3 subforum?

i was trying to find the link but cant. where is it?
post #917 of 5172 Old 08-03-2009, 09:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

if i knew where the frikkin link was, i would have given it to you... don't be so frikkin demanding...

edit: there's a million posts on the ps3 subforum... i'm sure you will find your answer there...

- chris

post #918 of 5172 Old 08-03-2009, 09:55 AM

I've been using the VSX-919 for the two days and am quite happy with it. Thinking of upgrading to the 1019 which costs $700 or $170 more than what I paid for the VSX 919.

Is the VSX 1019 worth the extra money?
post #919 of 5172 Old 08-03-2009, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkyq View Post

I've been using the VSX-919 for the two days and am quite happy with it. Thinking of upgrading to the 1019 which costs $700 or $170 more than what I paid for the VSX 919.

Is the VSX 1019 worth the extra money?

Unless you need the additional HDMI port, or video upscaling, or Zone 2 features, there is no point to upgrading...

Overall the performance of the two receivers is the same...
post #920 of 5172 Old 08-03-2009, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ah - completely overlooked that. My bad. This means that he will only get stereo through the digital inputs, isn't that correct?

Yes, that is my understanding though I'm not a 100% certain. Definitely a lot more limited in terms of audio options, we can say at least that much.

But if he/she is only using stereo speakers or the speakers built into the tv, I don't think it doesn't matters a whole lot anyway.

post #921 of 5172 Old 08-03-2009, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The manual for my 1019 does NOT show using HDMI to connect a Cable Box to the 1019..............PLEASE advise.............wouldn't I just run HDMI OUT of Cable Box to basically ANY HDMI IN on the 1019............and the HDMI OUT to my HDTV will do the rest????

TKS michael
post #922 of 5172 Old 08-03-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:

1. So the 1019 -> TV HDMI connection is fine, since it works well with the BD and HD-DVD players. Yes

2. The Handshake issues you have are with the Tivo unit -> HDMI 1 input. Here is where you get the problem? Yes. I also cannot route my HTPC (DVI) thru the 1019.

3. Can you make a connection that you know works (BD?) and after the connection is stable, turn the Tivo on and switch to that input? Does that cause issues. No. That approach seems to work and while a work around, I don't believe I should have to live with it long term.

4. Have you tried connecting from the Tivo to the HDMI2 or BD input to see whether you get problems. No. But it's worth a shot.

5. Have you tried a different HDMI cable from the Tivo to the HDMI1 input? No. But since it works sometimes I've kinda ruled out the cable - perhaps prematurely.

I will say that this does not happen all the time. Last week however, I was able to lock up the AVR and nothing short of pulling the plug worked. Not even the front panel switch, or remote. This was the first time ever I've locked up a modern-day AVR.

BTW, this may all be moot as I might decide to upgrade another level to the Elite Series anyway. I'm looking very longingly at the SC-05.

Thanks for your suggestions.

rickybob
post #923 of 5172 Old 08-03-2009, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberized View Post

The manual for my 1019 does NOT show using HDMI to connect a Cable Box to the 1019..............PLEASE advise.............wouldn't I just run HDMI OUT of Cable Box to basically ANY HDMI IN on the 1019............and the HDMI OUT to my HDTV will do the rest????

TKS michael

All you need is the HDMI connections. You can use any HDMI connection, but for some reason Pioneer chose to lock in the BD function to the BD input, so it's not reassignable. This leaves the remaining three HDMI1-3 that are assignable to the TV/SAT, DVD and DVR functions. The HDMI out to your TV should be the only connection from the 1019 needed so that any source that connects to the 1019 can send its signal through.

You want to run an HDMI cable to one of these, assign the function to the HDMI port and you are set. See pg. 40 on the manual for instruction on assigning the ports. Turn the KURO link off to allow reassignment.

Some unsolicited advice: buy HDMI cables from Monoprice, Blue Jeans, even BJ's or Home Depot has reasonable prices ( < $25, more like < $6) I bought ten 6 ft cables about two years ago from Monoprice for about $30 total (about $3 each) at the time and not one has failed. Avoid high priced HDMI cables, unless you get to more than fifteen feet.
post #924 of 5172 Old 08-03-2009, 03:11 PM

So if I connect my cable box via HDMI to the 1019, will it automatically upscale non-HD channels?

I'll be hooking it up to a 720p projector and would like to be able to watch some non-HD channels (Fox soccer channel) on it without looking like crap.

Thanks.
post #925 of 5172 Old 08-03-2009, 03:14 PM

Quote:

Here's a useful video settings link: http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10022389-1.html

This is the Master PS3 FAQ thread. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=931796
post #926 of 5172 Old 08-03-2009, 03:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sailor View Post

So if I connect my cable box via HDMI to the 1019, will it automatically upscale non-HD channels?

I'll be hooking it up to a 720p projector and would like to be able to watch some non-HD channels (Fox soccer channel) on it without looking like crap.

Thanks.

no... hdmi has no video processing applied to it... you would have to hook up analog (i.e. component) to do so...

it's gonna look like crap anyway....

- chris

post #927 of 5172 Old 08-03-2009, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

no... hdmi has no video processing applied to it... you would have to hook up analog (i.e. component) to do so...

it's gonna look like crap anyway....

Sorry, got to disagree here, you are right if this were the 919, but one of the things that differentiates the 1019 from it is the ability to do HDMI upscaling.

see the comparison here (HDMI is mentioned halfway down):

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/po...ction=overview

It uses the Faroudja chip, which should be good, and might be better than a cable box. More likely, as ccotenj says, though is that something else along the chain (cable box, TV?) may do a better job.

Good luck, though - I also like to see good SD as well as HD, but am lucky in having FIOS which gives you killer HD and SD.
post #928 of 5172 Old 08-03-2009, 06:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

hernanu, see page 67 of the manual, specifically the "RES" option that states:

"when analog video signals (emphasis mine) are output at the HDMI connector"....

- chris

post #929 of 5172 Old 08-03-2009, 09:19 PM

You might also check the settings on your Cable box. Some have an option to always output 1080i, which upscales the SD channels in the box...
post #930 of 5172 Old 08-04-2009, 05:10 AM

Quote:

Congratulations on your new receiver and welcome.

There is a slide (left and right) switch on the bottom of the remote. It selects the main (5.1) area on the left and Zone 2 on the right. If you slide it to the right and use the volume, I think that will work for you.

Thanks for this, but it doesn't work
I've test every things, but it seem that I can not change any setting when I select "5.1 + Speaker B". All of the settings are for "Zone 2".

Other point : I can not enable/disable speakers A / A+B / B with the remote

Olivier
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page