Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 5178 Old 08-09-2009, 07:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDL_SM View Post

I'm looking to put together a fairly inexpensive (sub $1k) a/v system for my Kuro display and have read good things about the vsx-1019AH. In doing my research, I noticed that the only differences between the 1019 and 919 models are 1080p upscaling and an extra HDMI input. If the only sources that I plan to input are a Directv HD DVR and PS3, is the 1080p upscaling worth the extra $100 (as I don't envision a scenario that would need upscaling with these two devices)? Also, does the Energy Take Classic 5.1 speaker set make a good pairing with this receiver? Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

I don't think you will even use the upscaling. Your PS3 will output 1080p, and your DTV HD box will output 1080i.

Since you don't need the additional HDMI port, save some money and get the VSX-919 - that is what I did...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 5178 Old 08-09-2009, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

howie, the wii you can run through the avr... it will transcode the analog video to digital and send it out over the hdmi out...

i'm gathering by the fact you said "coax direct" to tv that you don't have a cable box... if that's so, you are still going to have to go to the tv...

if you do have a cable box, you can hook that up either by hdmi or component to the avr...

if you did have a cable box, your final set up should probably look something similar to this...

bluray --> hdmi --> avr
xbox --> hdmi --> avr
wii --> component/composite and analog audio --> avr
cable box --> hdmi or component+spdif --> avr
avr --> hdmi --> tv

hope that helps... post back if it's not clear or you need further info...

Ok 1 other question, so it looks like I have to either connect the Component Cables from the Wii to either the DVD or DVR ports on the back of the receiver, this might be nit picking but it annoys me that I need to press the dvd or dvr button on the remote to switch to the Wii, I know I can relabel the display (which I did) but is there no way to map it to like Aux button or the video button on the remote? Also I have a Harmony One remote I'll be setting up so if there is a way to do it on that instead I'm all for it.

Thanks
post #993 of 5178 Old 08-09-2009, 08:22 PM
MXV

I have a quick question about this receiver...

Can you hook up 7.1 surround sound AND have your speakers wired for bi-amping? I can't find this info in the manual.
post #994 of 5178 Old 08-09-2009, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aross99 View Post

uVerse recently sent out a software update that effects the way HDMI audio is handled. Before the update, you could only get Stereo audio from HDMI, and you had to use the optical output to get 5.1.

After the update you can get 5.1 vis HDMI, but you have to enable it in the menus. I'm not at home right now, so I can't tell you exactly where, but there is an Audio setting that allows you to select Stereo or Dollby Digital, or something like that.

If you haven't received the update yet, you will need to use the Optical connection to get 5.1 sound. If you did get the update, you need to find the menus and enable Dolby Digital.

You can tell if you have the update by pressing the button that selects the wide/zoom modes. If you get a menu to select the zoom, then you have the update. If you just cycle through the zoom options, then you don't have the update yet.

Thanks I will look into that.

I am not home at the moment but am I to take it that I would have to re-do everything concerning the Uverse box then? Meaning, I would run the HDMI to the AVR and then the Optical to the TV? (We always want to have the ability to listen to tv from the TV speakers or through the whole sound system.)

Do you think this is why the audio was out of sync when I just ran the HDMI to the TV and left optical going to AVR?

Thanks again.
post #995 of 5178 Old 08-09-2009, 10:19 PM

Thanks so much for starting this forum Chroma601, and Tex94 (fellow Bay Area resident) you have been very helpful as well. Trust me, I am a total novice when it comes to audio/video. I am much more comfortable with computer tech stuff. BUT... here I am, and I'm going to maintain my "can-do spirit" and tackle this daunting task.
I got this monster hooked up to my Sharp 42" 1080p LCD TV, Oppo Blue Ray, Comcast DVR cable box, a Definitive Pro 1000 center speaker and Definitive Pro 800 surround speakers (L-R) w/ a subwoofer. That took forever.
Now I am ready for the fine tuning.
When I have the surround on I have to turn the volume way up on the avr. If I switch back to using the TV's volume it is blaring. Baby steps, first things first, when I get that figured out, I'll shoot you all my other 1000 & 1 questions. THANK YOU!! Your help is sincerely appreciated.
PS I have 2 seperate outdoor speakers I want to operate separately. I put them as a zone 2. Was that correct?
post #996 of 5178 Old 08-09-2009, 10:52 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlshaman View Post

How did you get that? The VSX-1019 doesn't even show up on their website anymore. I just bought mine less than a week ago, but would love to go back and get a credit.

I have a PDF of the printout from when it was in stock which I used. You might try taking it in to see if they'll give you the price match. I ordered mine originally back in early July, but it never came in when it was supposed to, so I canceled the order. Then they saw it available in their system two weeks ago so we placed the order again (it took a week to arrive from their warehouse). :P

Here is the PDF, print it out and try it. =)

Pioneer VSX-1019 @ Wal*Mart for $398 (pdf)

Fight mediocrity: Insist on BD50 discs for all movies longer than 100 minutes, optimized video encodes that fully utilize the available space, lossless audio track, and new masters for catalog titles!
post #997 of 5178 Old 08-10-2009, 04:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie411 View Post

Ok 1 other question, so it looks like I have to either connect the Component Cables from the Wii to either the DVD or DVR ports on the back of the receiver, this might be nit picking but it annoys me that I need to press the dvd or dvr button on the remote to switch to the Wii, I know I can relabel the display (which I did) but is there no way to map it to like Aux button or the video button on the remote? Also I have a Harmony One remote I'll be setting up so if there is a way to do it on that instead I'm all for it.

Thanks

lol... this is avs... no nit will remain unpicked...

once you set up the harmony, you won't have that worry anymore... you'll select the "play wii" activity, and as part of that activity the remote will tell the avr which input to switch to...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #998 of 5178 Old 08-10-2009, 04:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXV View Post

I have a quick question about this receiver...

Can you hook up 7.1 surround sound AND have your speakers wired for bi-amping? I can't find this info in the manual.

no. that would require 14 separate channels of amplification... which doesn't exist in any avr that i'm aware of...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #999 of 5178 Old 08-10-2009, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonGinWV View Post

Just set up the mcacc and when going back to watching tv the SW isn't doing anything at all. In the settings it shows that it's set to -8.0 db but there is no signal going to the sub what so ever. Any idea's on what I need to do to get the sub some action? I've also cycled through all the different outputs, dobly music, dolby movie, pure direct, ect. still no sub action. Thanks.

JasonG

Edit- works fine watching a DVD it's set to pcm and adjusts it to dolby and sounds great, go to regular tv and it adjusts to stereo and no sub action.

If you're getting stereo from TV, your sub is not going to be involved, only the front two speakers. You want to:

1. Check your source. if it's a 5.1 capable DVR or cable box, make sure that's enabled. It's the best thing to get a real digital signal in.
2. A lot of TV broadcasts are still only in stereo, particularly if it's SD (although some are 5.1). To get all of your speakers involved, turn on your stereo matrixing to 5.1. This will take a stereo signal and intelligently break it up so all of your speakers are used. Use (lower right side) and STANDARD, this will bring up your surround options. There are several for stereo sources, I use Pro Logic IIx movie, but you can play around with it and see which you like. I haven't tried the Neo modes yet, but will soon do so.
post #1000 of 5178 Old 08-10-2009, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDL_SM View Post

I'm looking to put together a fairly inexpensive (sub $1k) a/v system for my Kuro display and have read good things about the vsx-1019AH. In doing my research, I noticed that the only differences between the 1019 and 919 models are 1080p upscaling and an extra HDMI input. If the only sources that I plan to input are a Directv HD DVR and PS3, is the 1080p upscaling worth the extra $100 (as I don't envision a scenario that would need upscaling with these two devices)? Also, does the Energy Take Classic 5.1 speaker set make a good pairing with this receiver? Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

I have to agree with aross99 here, you don't buy an AVR for upscaling unless you have components that only put out low res output, and even those are probably better upscaled by the display.

There are a couple of other differences between the two:

1. Better control of the second zone - you can use iPod sources in the second zone in the 1019, where that is not possible in the 919.
2. As mentioned, one more HDMI input.

I'm sure there are a couple more small differences, you have to see whether they are worth it to you. I decided on the 1019, partly because of a great deal ($373), and because I need the extra HDMI input - I probably could use five in time.

The take classics are a great deal, I have Energy RC-mini's, so I like the company. If you are not locked in to the classics, there is an Energy set that is about the same price, but gives you a lot better set of speakers.

Check out this set:

http://www.wwstereo.com/#/ecommerce/..._84__0_0_0_-1/

These will be much better than the classics - the tradeoff is slightly larger size (4.5 in high vs. 8.75), but a much better speaker system for $250.

For a sub, this is a great inexpensive sub:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...X0DER&v=glance

at $187 (don't take the Amazon deal, go to the "xxx new").

Total is $437, gives you $523 to still be under $1000.
post #1001 of 5178 Old 08-10-2009, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aenygma View Post

Thanks I will look into that.

I am not home at the moment but am I to take it that I would have to re-do everything concerning the Uverse box then? Meaning, I would run the HDMI to the AVR and then the Optical to the TV? (We always want to have the ability to listen to tv from the TV speakers or through the whole sound system.)

Do you think this is why the audio was out of sync when I just ran the HDMI to the TV and left optical going to AVR?

Thanks again.

I always use my AVR so I don't have any audio connected to my TV. Why not get a remote that supports macros and program a single button to turn on the TV and AVR? Sony makes a basic one for for $20-$30. I have done that for years, and it works great.

If you want to use your TV speakers, you would connect the uVerse HDMI to the TV (for the video and audio), and the optical to your AVR for just the audio.

If you run the HDMI to the AVR, and optical to the TV, then you won't have any video unless your AVR is on and also connected to the TV.

As far as the audio-sync issue, I am experiencing this also. it seems to vary channel by channel, so I don't know where the issue is. It doesn't seem to matter if the audio comes in HDMI or optical, although I don't think I noticed it as much with optical. That is just a guess though.
post #1002 of 5178 Old 08-10-2009, 07:59 AM

After hooking all my devices up through HDMI I noticed they all look saturated, why is my receiver doing this, is there any adjustments for this??? anyone else noticed the pic quality gets saturated when going through hdmi inputs on this receiver?
post #1003 of 5178 Old 08-10-2009, 08:35 AM

Did you find a solution to the avr not turning on with the remote? Mine is doing the same thing.
post #1004 of 5178 Old 08-10-2009, 08:57 AM

I'm sorry if this is the dumbest question on this thread, but the manual says the button on the upper left side controls POWER/STANDBY. There are several places where the manual says to turn the unit on and put it in STANDBY. How the heck do you do that. Please don't tell me to rtfm. I've tried - can't find it. And just to echo the post above, has anybody solved the problem with turning the unit on with the remote. Blu-ray player, TV and 919 are all set to KURO/VIERA link off and still have to turn the unit on manually. Other than that, love it - great sound, great price and MCAAC is the best invention since (fill in your favorite). Thanks.
post #1005 of 5178 Old 08-10-2009, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dongladd View Post

Did you find a solution to the avr not turning on with the remote? Mine is doing the same thing.

Make sure you are pressing the small receiver button on the BOTTOM RIGHT of the remote before you hit the menu button. The UPPER larger receiver button is for the AVR's power on/off. Hope that's all it is.
post #1006 of 5178 Old 08-10-2009, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny T-100 View Post

I'm sorry if this is the dumbest question on this thread, but the manual says the button on the upper left side controls POWER/STANDBY. There are several places where the manual says to turn the unit on and put it in STANDBY. How the heck do you do that. Please don't tell me to rtfm. I've tried - can't find it. And just to echo the post above, has anybody solved the problem with turning the unit on with the remote. Blu-ray player, TV and 919 are all set to KURO/VIERA link off and still have to turn the unit on manually. Other than that, love it - great sound, great price and MCAAC is the best invention since (fill in your favorite). Thanks.

The manual does stink! Standby is achieved by turning off the AVR>> press the enter button on the front of the AVR>> and while the enter button is still depressed hit the power button.
post #1007 of 5178 Old 08-10-2009, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Howdy folks. I googled but only saw the question asked in here, not answered. I'm sure I could have missed something though. I just bought the 1019, and I'm programming my Harmony 670. The problem I'm running in to, is that I have HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 being used by my PS3 and HD-DVR, so whenever the remote tells the receiver to switch to the 'HDMI' input, it doesn't switch it necessarily to the right one. How can I tell the Harmony I want HDMI 1 or HDMI 2 specifically? When going through the motions of setting it up in the Harmony software suite, it doesn't ask for such a thing, only if I want the 'HDMI' input.

EDIT: I think I actually figured it out, just had to add the function manually and link the HDMI 1 or 2 name with the input command. Hopefully it works smoothly.

I love the sound this is giving me so far!
post #1008 of 5178 Old 08-10-2009, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzupeman View Post

Howdy folks. I googled but only saw the question asked in here, not answered. I'm sure I could have missed something though. I just bought the 1019, and I'm programming my Harmony 670. The problem I'm running in to, is that I have HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 being used by my PS3 and HD-DVR, so whenever the remote tells the receiver to switch to the 'HDMI' input, it doesn't switch it necessarily to the right one. How can I tell the Harmony I want HDMI 1 or HDMI 2 specifically? When going through the motions of setting it up in the Harmony software suite, it doesn't ask for such a thing, only if I want the 'HDMI' input.

EDIT: I think I actually figured it out, just had to add the function manually and link the HDMI 1 or 2 name with the input command. Hopefully it works smoothly.

I love the sound this is giving me so far!

I've got the 670 as well. I mapped the TV/SAT function to HDMI1, DVD to HDMI2 and kept the other mappings the same. I have a FIOS connection to HDMI1, a Toshiba HD-A35 on HDMI2 and the BD input is awaiting an OPPO BDP-83.

In the function definition, I select TV/SAT for the "Watching FIOS" activity, making sure the TV HDMI selection is done. The selection of that activity selects TV/SAT without a problem. I also renamed TV/SAT to "FIOS" so the 1019 display shows that. No problem doing the programming.
post #1009 of 5178 Old 08-10-2009, 06:53 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah, the method I used to set the proper inputs to HDMI inputs 1 and 2 (with my sweet Oppo BDP-83 also at the BD input) worked just fine.

I tell ya, I bought a Denon about a month and a half ago... returned it the next day. Although I was very pleased with the sound quality it produced, it did have some minor glitching that was hard to reproduce, just seemed to happen whenever it wanted. So, it went back. I got this Pioneer 1019 today, and I have to say that I'm pretty impressed. The sound quality it has for the apartment I'm in is impressive, it decodes the lossless codecs that are bitstreaming to it just fine, and setup was a breeze... an absolute breeze. Easy to hookup, easy to understand, easy to do it all.

In total, I have hooked up to this thing my Xbox 360, PS3, Oppo BDP-83, and the HD-DVR that I have from TWC. Oh yeah, and my Wii. They all seem to work flawlessly through this unit. And my ipod as well I might add. I'm a happy camper.
post #1010 of 5178 Old 08-11-2009, 07:55 AM

Quote:

Yeah, the method I used to set the proper inputs to HDMI inputs 1 and 2 (with my sweet Oppo BDP-83 also at the BD input) worked just fine.

I tell ya, I bought a Denon about a month and a half ago... returned it the next day. Although I was very pleased with the sound quality it produced, it did have some minor glitching that was hard to reproduce, just seemed to happen whenever it wanted. So, it went back. I got this Pioneer 1019 today, and I have to say that I'm pretty impressed. The sound quality it has for the apartment I'm in is impressive, it decodes the lossless codecs that are bitstreaming to it just fine, and setup was a breeze... an absolute breeze. Easy to hookup, easy to understand, easy to do it all.

In total, I have hooked up to this thing my Xbox 360, PS3, Oppo BDP-83, and the HD-DVR that I have from TWC. Oh yeah, and my Wii. They all seem to work flawlessly through this unit. And my ipod as well I might add. I'm a happy camper.

Which Denon did you have and how would you compare sound quality to the two??
post #1011 of 5178 Old 08-11-2009, 01:20 PM

New 1019AH-K owner here, picked it up last night from Best Buy for $449+tax after getting them to price match J&R.

It will be a few days before I have time to hook it all up to my previous 5.1 speaker setup (although good until now is nearly 15 years old), in the meantime I'm looking at getting a new 7.1 setup.

So far I've narrowed it down to either:
BIC Acoustech PL-89, PL-28, PL-66, PL-200
or
Premier Acoustic PA-8F, PA-8C, PA-8S, PA-12W

Both setups get great reviews, gosh, decisions, decisions
Unfortunately neither are possible to audition in my area.
My usage will be 70% Home Theater, 30% Music (electronic, I'm a big Armin van Buuren fan).

I've heard people refer to both speakers and amps/receivers as having a warm or bright sound to them, what would you all classify our 1019AH-K receiver as?

The reason I ask is because IMO its ok to pair up a warm receiver with warm (PA) or bright (BIC) speakers but a bright receiver with bright (BIC) speakers would be a bad idea.

Thanks.
post #1012 of 5178 Old 08-11-2009, 03:14 PM

Hey guys, I realize this question may have been answered but its hard to sift through 34 pages of posts. I really didnt see anyone talking about the multizone feature with this receiver and here is my predictment.

I just bought and hooked up the 919, and after reading the manual came across the note that the Ipod interface does not work with the multizone feature. I was extremely disappointed because I want to be able to play my Ipod throughout our patio speakers (zone 2) while I am outside. So now I am probably going to return the 919 and get teh 1019.

Has anyone had any issues with the multizone feature?

Does it work and hook up just like the 919 (because the manuals are the same)?

Or could I keep the 919 and figure out a way to make it work?

Thanks for any help
post #1013 of 5178 Old 08-11-2009, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by zasy99 View Post

I've heard people refer to both speakers and amps/receivers as having a warm or bright sound to them, what would you all classify our 1019AH-K receiver as?

The reason I ask is because IMO its ok to pair up a warm receiver with warm (PA) or bright (BIC) speakers but a bright receiver with bright (BIC) speakers would be a bad idea.

Thanks.

As far as receivers having a tonal or signature sound, i.e., warm, neutral, bright, etc., and notions of finding the complementary match, such as, "pair bright speakers with a warm receiver", etc., this is a contentious topic among audio hobbyists.

I come from the school of thought which states that this is mostly nonsense, that these are subjective impressions having no real basis in the equipment itself and these sound differences can be accounted for in other ways. If a receiver truly does color sound and vary from brand to brand, this will only be a result of some altered setting between one and another receiver, especially an EQ setting. Or on a larger scale, there could be a global operational difference in the particular EQ programs that the receivers use (MCACC, Audyssey, YPAO, etc.) which then results in some sound variability. While all of these EQ programs have similar goals, their implementations and "curves" may vary which can alter the resulting room sound of one receiver with EQ system A compared to another receiver which uses EQ system B. So in other words, If there are any true sound colorations, it can only legitimately come from those EQ differences.

But if you are more compelled by the other camp who insist there are tonal differences between brands, that even with all EQ turned off and only a "pure" or "direct" mode in effect, they all sound different, well then playing along here for your benefit, Pioneer receivers are often described as being "neutral". However, not uncommonly, I've also seen them being described as "slightly warm" by others, and then again, "bright" by those who disagree with the other two interpretations. So.. good luck trying to cleave any practical guidance from that!

Bottom line - if you have a "bright room", i.e., hardwood or ceramic tile floors, lots of bare walls and/or windows and no room or discretion to add acoustical wall treatments or other remedies so therefore you must seek out a compensatory "warming" coloration, do so by seeking out a speaker which will provide that type of sound. The speakers you choose, the way they are positioned in the room and the overall room environment itself will all have a much more profound impact upon sound coloration or tone than any receiver will.

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #1014 of 5178 Old 08-11-2009, 06:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalman42 View Post

Which Denon did you have and how would you compare sound quality to the two??

I purchased the Denon 1910.

You know, the Denon was a great setup, however there was something problematic with the one I purchased. I had that feedback sound you get, like when you turn your speakers all the way up when nothing is playing... except that sound would be audible at normal listening levels. It came and went as it pleased, so I said 'forget that'.

However, the sound quality it had I would say is probably going to please some of the audiophiles more, Denon has a reputation for a reason. I'm very finicky with my stuff. I want the best. I bought an Oppo BDP-83 because no other Blu-ray player would do. For me, the Pioneer's MCACC (or MCCAC or whatever it's called) is fantastic. For just one sitting position, it really did a great job at calculating everything it needed to about my listening environment, and provides one heck of an in home experience.

Enough tip-toeing. For me PERSONALLY (because with anything home theater, it's all about personal preference), the sound quality wasn't enough for me to really notice enough or care about. I didn't have them side by side to A/B the sound results, but I'm extremely happy with what the Pioneer is offering me in the sound department. I'm still experimenting with what sound modes are suitable for different audio codecs on different sources, but the lossless audio on my BD's sound GREAT. This is definitely a solid receiver for the price. Easy enough to setup, easy enough to tweak, ipod capable, great room calibration and great sound. I'm a happy camper for the price.
post #1015 of 5178 Old 08-11-2009, 07:31 PM

Hey guys, I have been using my 919 for a bout 2 weeks and I paired it up with the pio bd 320 and wow!! just wow!!. How ever, I'm using a 5.1 speaker system and when I play a bd movie with 7.1 XL and XR shows up in the receiver display which I don't know... what it is?. The frequency is 48hz and that what shows up; is there any way to change the frequency to 96 or 192hz? Can you change the frequency in either the receiver or the player? Can I turn the upmix function off since I'm using a 5.1. Thanks
post #1016 of 5178 Old 08-11-2009, 07:43 PM

CruelInventions: Thanks very much for your reply. I've always been very simplistic in my approach to audio equipment (thus far) so your post sure makes me think more about the way people label things and interpret their own ideas and opinions.

I also thank you for not simply ending your post with a riddle but rather also including the idea that Pioneer receiver's are generally neutral to warm.

My room is thick carpeted with a number of potential sound absorbing objects and large wooden walk in closet doors so with that in mind and your informative post I can conclude to the best of my own interpretation that I could get away with, to put it simply, "bright" speakers

drylogic: Sorry but as far as I can tell that was one of the three major differences between the 919 and the 1019. The 919 having one less hdmi input, no video upscaling and no ipod/iphone support in zone 2. What you read in the manual is correct and you can also see that here (comparison of 919 and 1019 on the official Pioneer site, scroll down to the bottom).
post #1017 of 5178 Old 08-12-2009, 04:53 AM
Advanced Member

Does the MCACC stay on if I use something like 'auto surround', or do I need to use the 'direct' setting? Also, I've seen different preferences in this thread about which surround modes to use, but is there a collevtive opinion by a majority that agress what the 'proper' settings should be for stereo, 5.1, etc, sources?
post #1018 of 5178 Old 08-12-2009, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Does the MCACC stay on if I use something like 'auto surround', or do I need to use the 'direct' setting? Also, I've seen different preferences in this thread about which surround modes to use, but is there a collevtive opinion by a majority that agress what the 'proper' settings should be for stereo, 5.1, etc, sources?

The MCACC doesn't do continuous monitoring, AFAIK. It will change your settings to fully configure your system and finishes. The settings themselves may apply to dynamic components (like equalization?) which may change in response to input signals.

As to the surround settings, IMO that is a personal choice, since my liking for PLII processing of a stereo signal may be different than someone else's liking for Neo processing, to each his or her own. I'm just having fun trying the different things until one of my family freaks and tells me to just watch the #$@!! movie.
post #1019 of 5178 Old 08-12-2009, 10:02 AM

I think ALC is the best for me because after calibrating my 5.1 with effect at 20 it makes all the sound from every speaker equal so there by giving me active SL and SR chanels.
post #1020 of 5178 Old 08-12-2009, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

So the MCACC settings are for room calibration and stay in tact with any sound mode you use other than pure direct, right? That's how it sounds to me thus far. I want to be experimental in trying out standard surround modes, as well as the auto surround and direct etc, but I wasn't sure if I was pushing the MCACC settings off to the side so to speak by doing so.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page