The "Official" Pioneer VSX-1019AH Owner's Thread - Page 37 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1081 of 5181 Old 08-17-2009, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 36
one the onkyo, the is an "ALL CHANNEL MODE" (all speaker playing without processing). is there something similar in the pioneer? I have a 92txh and i can't find that mode anywhere? can someone help.

thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 5181 Old 08-17-2009, 06:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone. I just purchased the 1019 over the weekend and so far love it. I have a quick question about the Input Setup screens. I have 4 HDMI sources connected:

BD = Sony Blu ray
HDMI 1 = DirecTV HD DVR
HDMI 2 = Toshiba HD DVD
HDMI 3 = Apple TV

When I go to the Input Setup screens I'm able to rename the inputs and skip inputs, but for all 4 of my HDMI inputs the lower portion of the setup screen, Digital In, HDMI Input and Component In, are grayed out. I assumed that at least the HDMI Input would list "ON," but to the right it's just a grayed out set of dashes (---).

Is this the way it's supposed to be?
post #1083 of 5181 Old 08-17-2009, 06:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieffer87 View Post

Had the receiver for about a month now and so far so good. My only grip is the MCACC presets.

Is there a way to have a MCACC preset default to an input. I would like M1.MOVIE for TV and DVD, M2.MUSIC for Ipod/USB, and M3.GAME for Xbox which is remapped from HDMI to DVR. It seems no matter what I set each input to, the next time the input changes the last globally used MCACC preset will be used instead of whatever one I last used on that input. Any suggestions?

nope, not that i'm aware of. don't feel alone, many of us would like it different. if you have a universal type remote that allows variables, you could code it to do what you want. but that introduces a different set of headaches (go ahead, ask me how i know )...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTV Programmer View Post

Hi everyone. I just purchased the 1019 over the weekend and so far love it. I have a quick question about the Input Setup screens. I have 4 HDMI sources connected:

BD = Sony Blu ray
HDMI 1 = DirecTV HD DVR
HDMI 2 = Toshiba HD DVD
HDMI 3 = Apple TV

When I go to the Input Setup screens I'm able to rename the inputs and skip inputs, but for all 4 of my HDMI inputs the lower portion of the setup screen, Digital In, HDMI Input and Component In, are grayed out. I assumed that at least the HDMI Input would list which input, but to the right it's just a grayed out set of dashes (---).

yes. working as designed.

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #1084 of 5181 Old 08-17-2009, 06:37 PM

I recently purchased a Pioneer 1019 and have been pleased with it's performance so far. The audio and video have been excellent. I replaced an older Sony Es that did not have HDMI input outputs. It is connected to a Shaw HD Sat. box by component video and coaxial audio. The box has only DVI and component outputs and won't handshake with the DVi to Hdmi cable but thats OK because HD picture through Component is terriffic. My only problem is that I also have a Pioneer Elite 65H DVR connected by component and digital optical and I can't get the recorder to show it's setup screen or play the HDD or DVD. It is visible and will play through a composite output to the monitor itself (Sony XBR). I do get a picture through the DVR input settings and the input settings are correct for this input. Any ideas?
post #1085 of 5181 Old 08-17-2009, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucsbjd View Post

Long time lurker, first time poster:

I'm finally going to pull the trigger on a AVR & 5.1 setup to compliment my 50'' Panasonic HDTV, Xbox 360, Wii, & Oppo DVD player. I mainly use it to watch DVDs (40%), Watch TV (40%) & play video games (20%). It would be nice to also hook up my wife's Ipod Touch...

My budget is ~$800 for both a receiver and complete 5.1 speaker setup.

I live in a small apt. with a 12' X 35' living room / kitchen area. (8ft ceilings).

I want to go with the following:
Reciever: Pioneer VSX-1019AH (hence posting in this thread, I'm pretty set on this).
Speakers: Energy C-50 for satellites, & C-C50 for center channel. ESW-V8 for the sub.

I think I can get the speakers at wwstereo for ~500 & hopefully nab the receiver for ~400 online (anyone know of anything besides amazon to find deals on AVR?).

My questions:
A) I was looking at the Energy Take Classic's for a LONG time, but figured for the extra $50-100 the C-50 setup would get me more power / better sound. Is this money well spent? Is there anything magical about the take classic setup that has everyone raving?
B) With either Energy setup, will the 1019 be a great receiver for these speakers? (I really don't know a lot about matching wattage of speakers / receivers etc.)
C) How about my sub choice of the ESW-V8. Will this compliment my speakers well, is it too much sub? Thoughts?

Thanks for all your help in advance, I'm really excited to pull the trigger but wanted to touch base with the experts before dropping my hard earned cash.

A) It is money well spent. The Classics are great little speakers, but can't overcome physics. The C-series frequency response, 65 Hz - 20KHz gives better coverage than the Classic's 115 Hz - 20 KHz. The C-series woofer is a solid (for a small speaker) 4.5 inches, while the Classic's comes in at 3 inches. The sensitivity is comparable, 89 db for the classic's, while the C-series comes in at 88 db. Overall, the C-series is a much better set of speakers; the classics are very nice, just suffer due to driver size and performance.

B) The 1019 will drive these very well, thank you. Both are 8 ohm speakers rated at 100 watts, so the 1019 will have no issues. Unless you want to drive these at uncomfortable levels, you won't use anywhere near 100 watts.

C) I don't have experience with that sub, but I've heard nothing but good about it, within its limitations. As an 8" sub, it's not going to threaten to clear out rooms, but it will cover the lower range of the audible (to humans) spectrum nicely. The 26 Hz - 120 Hz range is well matched to the C-series, so you could set the crossover to 100 Hz, giving you a nice even range from 26 Hz to 20KHz.

Sweet system, I think. The prices at wwstereo are excellent for that.

On a personal note, I just upgraded to Energy RC-mini''s for my surrounds, so I am enjoying how good these Energy speakers are with the 1019; they are about the same driver size. IMO - go ahead and you'll enjoy a killer setup.
post #1086 of 5181 Old 08-17-2009, 11:01 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTV Programmer View Post

BD = Sony Blu ray
HDMI 1 = DirecTV HD DVR
HDMI 2 = Toshiba HD DVD
HDMI 3 = Apple TV

When I go to the Input Setup screens I'm able to rename the inputs and skip inputs, but for all 4 of my HDMI inputs the lower portion of the setup screen, Digital In, HDMI Input and Component In, are grayed out. I assumed that at least the HDMI Input would list "ON," but to the right it's just a grayed out set of dashes (---).

You have to turn off Kuro Link to access the HDMI settings. Is that what you asked?
post #1087 of 5181 Old 08-18-2009, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

nope, not that i'm aware of. don't feel alone, many of us would like it different. if you have a universal type remote that allows variables, you could code it to do what you want. but that introduces a different set of headaches (go ahead, ask me how i know )...

I was afraid of this. I do have a harmony one but I still have my 1019 remote by my side. It just seems I'm still in that stage where I want to fiddle with everything each time so paging through the harmony is just an inconvenience.

Is there a way to update the software on the 1019 similar to Denons?
post #1088 of 5181 Old 08-18-2009, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugie View Post

I had this problem too. It seems to work better if you switch to the iPod/iPhone input first, then plug the phone in. Now it works fine but there is a bit of delay (15 secs) before it comes up on the screen.

I found on my iphone 3G if you change to the input, then plug the phone in until it says loading, then unplug and plug it back in it works withiin a second or two **Most of the time**

IMO if they have it advertised all over the box it works with iphone 3g/3gs it should work perfect unless we are all doing something wrong here.
post #1089 of 5181 Old 08-18-2009, 11:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieffer87 View Post

I was afraid of this. I do have a harmony one but I still have my 1019 remote by my side. It just seems I'm still in that stage where I want to fiddle with everything each time so paging through the harmony is just an inconvenience.

Is there a way to update the software on the 1019 similar to Denons?

oh yea, i know the "fiddle" thing... unfortunately for me, that urge rarely goes away, no longer how long i have something...

you could always assign the mcacc command to an unused hard button on the harmony... or migrate it to the first page of the soft buttons... unfortunately, the harmony doesn't support "variable" programming, so it's not possible to track the state of the mcacc setting with it... you'd need something like a urc for that...

in the past, pioneer firmware updates have been "take it to the service center" type things... that being said, there haven't been a whole lot of firmware updates available... there was one for the vsx-8x series to fix the lfe bug... i'm sure there were others, but pio tends not to update their avr firmware unless absolutely necessary...

there is a hmg firmware update floating around for the sc-xxx models that some have successfully downloaded and updated themselves, but it's not "official", so if you should happen to brick it, you might have difficulties getting it repaired (at least under warrantee)...

hope that helps...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #1090 of 5181 Old 08-18-2009, 07:31 PM

To: skotx, Lugie, jon6113

Thanks, with your input I also have my iPhone 3GS working now.
Good stuff, loving this receiver more and more.
post #1091 of 5181 Old 08-19-2009, 02:54 AM

I am prospective person, audiophile from way back, but now just laid back..Concerned about some of negative reviews of 1019 regarding sound quality vs. Onkyo 607 specifically and their amp section being very "cheap" etc...I am sure you are aware of these..

I have Samnsung BD, 55" LCD etc, Paradigm speakers , just nice mid-level setup....

Can you allay my concerns about this 1019 , as it has the true up-convert and seems like a neat product..

thanks
post #1092 of 5181 Old 08-19-2009, 03:40 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I'll post here what I posted in response to your private message:

"I replaced an Onkyo 605 with the Pioneer 1019, and I think the sound from the Pioneer is just fine.

I think the Onkyo 607 is probably a great receiver as well, but Onkyo just has way too many quality control issues for me to want to go back to them again. So many people have complaints about other things with Onkyo, sync issues, weird things happening with the picture at times, overheating, etc. When looking on the forums about the 1019, I don't see people discussing such frustrating issues... so I picked one up, and I've been quite happy with it."

The ONLY thing I wish was a LITTLE different about this receiver, is that instead of just remembering what surround mode you used last per input, it would have a memory option of how it should always decode certain codecs. I believe the Onkyo's do this (I think my 605 did), and it's the only real feature I miss but, it's not really that major an inconvenience for me at all.
post #1093 of 5181 Old 08-19-2009, 10:01 AM

I'm in the market for a Receiver. Trying to decide between the VSX-919 and the Denon AVR-590. Read all the posts with great interest. Is there any Denon has over the 919 or vice versa?

The price for me would be the same. I read that the 919 gets a little warm and on the Denon thread that the 590 amp was superior. But all that is sujective.

Does the Pioneer have any more features that make it a better buy at the same price.
post #1094 of 5181 Old 08-19-2009, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billys44 View Post

I'm in the market for a Receiver. Trying to decide between the VSX-919 and the Denon AVR-590. Read all the posts with great interest. Is there any Denon has over the 919 or vice versa?

The price for me would be the same. I read that the 919 gets a little warm and on the Denon thread that the 590 amp was superior. But all that is sujective.

Does the Pioneer have any more features that make it a better buy at the same price.

I guess it depends on how you'll use it and what's important to you. Some people prefer the MCACC setup software over Audissey, if you do, that's a plus. There's all sorts of dickering about this, but IMO amplification only really becomes a differentiator if you have large or inefficient speakers or both. The watts per channel is probably overstated on both AVR's, with the 1019 at 120 watts, probably more like 75 or so. The Denon is rated at 75 and that may be true or lower. The value is probably irrelevant unless you are really blasting the volume, since the amount of power used in most applications will be much lower than that.

The 590 is a 5.1 system, where the 919 is a 7.1 system. So if you want to use a full 7.1 setup, the 590 won't do. If you are doing only a 5.1 system, both will fit. The 919 gives you multiple zones if you want that, with a full feature 5.1 zone in one area and a 2.0 stereo zone in another; this is not available with the 590. The 919 gives you a direct iPod / usb MP3 connection, where the iPod attachment has to be bought for the Denon.

There's other features that may or may not mean anything to you (HDCD decoding, etc...) but you'll have to look at those. Obviously people here own and like the Pioneer 919/1019, so you'll get some complaints and some praise, but for me, I checked out the Denons (just the specs for the 1910) before getting the 1019, and I've been very pleased with my choice. As to the heat, I'm getting a fan to install in my cabinet ($69) but mostly because it's fully enclosed and needs ventilation.
post #1095 of 5181 Old 08-19-2009, 11:25 AM

Thanks.

I am only using a 5.1 system, with no room to expand, since my couch is against the wall so a 7.1 would not make a difference. But reading the "Experts" reviews they rate the 1019 as a Best Buy and the 919 is a similar receiver.
post #1096 of 5181 Old 08-19-2009, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlm86 View Post

I am prospective person, audiophile from way back, but now just laid back..Concerned about some of negative reviews of 1019 regarding sound quality vs. Onkyo 607 specifically and their amp section being very "cheap" etc...I am sure you are aware of these..

I have Samnsung BD, 55" LCD etc, Paradigm speakers , just nice mid-level setup....

Can you allay my concerns about this 1019 , as it has the true up-convert and seems like a neat product..

thanks

I wouldn't be surprised if the 607 has more power than the 919/1019, but I don't think it's going to matter in practice unless they're just ridiculously inefficient speakers you run at ear-bleeding volumes. Personally, I used a 606 to drive some PSB Image towers (6ohm nominal, 90db Anechoic) for over a year and just swapped it out for a 919 a few months ago. I still have the 606, got it running some satellites for a FPJ set up. They're both fine units, but I definitely prefer the 919. AMCACC is a noticeable improvement over the Audysee found in this range of Onkyo's IMO. If you're not going to use either EQ, I don't think you'd notice any SQ difference. If someone offered me an even exchange on the 606 for a second 919, I'd take it.
post #1097 of 5181 Old 08-19-2009, 06:20 PM
Advanced Member

If the Onkyo does have more power, it certainly isn't by much. I'm sure the only audible difference you'll be able to hear, is between Audyssey and the MCACC (or MCCAC, whatever it is).
post #1098 of 5181 Old 08-19-2009, 06:49 PM

I purchased both 590 and 919 from BB. I have a month to return one after testing. Paid $399 CDN.

From an initial test, but its very short, I find the 919 lacking in bass. The hookup and input adjustments are very easy, since I have all banana plugs it took a few minutes.

I have a PS3, Xbox360 and Shaw HD PVR all connected by HDMI to a Pioneer Kuro 60" 1080p Plasma (PDP-6020FD).

The 919 sounds quite "tinny", lacking in bass (as stated above). I ran MCACC. Short and sweet. Took about 5 minutes. Changed the L/R Speakers to small and crossover to 80.

After an hour playing the top of the unit becomes quite warm/hot. But I have open Stands so no problem.

My fronts are B & W 802 and centre is also B & W. All are 10 years old.
The rears are built in, by previous homeowner, Sonance (dont know specs).
The Sub is a Velodyne.
post #1099 of 5181 Old 08-19-2009, 08:04 PM

Can this reciever (VSX-1019AH-K) run 2 subs? I am looking at 2 PA-120's for my system with 2 Polk Monitor 70's and 4 Polk Monitor 40's for surrounds. Will it be sufficient to drive these or should I look at a bigger AV or an amp in addition to this one?
post #1100 of 5181 Old 08-19-2009, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by billys44 View Post

I purchased both 590 and 919 from BB. I have a month to return one after testing. Paid $399 CDN.

From an initial test, but its very short, I find the 919 lacking in bass. The hookup and input adjustments are very easy, since I have all banana plugs it took a few minutes.

I have a PS3, Xbox360 and Shaw HD PVR all connected by HDMI to a Pioneer Kuro 60" 1080p Plasma (PDP-6020FD).

The 919 sounds quite "tinny", lacking in bass (as stated above). I ran MCACC. Short and sweet. Took about 5 minutes. Changed the L/R Speakers to small and crossover to 80.

After an hour playing the top of the unit becomes quite warm/hot. But I have open Stands so no problem.

My fronts are B & W 802 and centre is also B & W. All are 10 years old.
The rears are built in, by previous homeowner, Sonance (dont know specs).
The Sub is a Velodyne.

Sounds like you ran Audysee on the 590. It exaggerates a lot of the lower frequencies pretty substantially. Just the opposite of you, this is why I prefer MCACC to Audysee.
post #1101 of 5181 Old 08-20-2009, 02:17 AM

Needing very user friendly Remote for 1019, Samsung electronics, and, EXCELLENT "Wife Acceptance Factor" !! 8-)

must be very dummy proof, and not break the bank, maybe around 100.00

thanks
post #1102 of 5181 Old 08-20-2009, 03:56 AM
Advanced Member

Get a Harmony remote. Easy to program, easy to make changes to, easy to map buttons.
post #1103 of 5181 Old 08-20-2009, 03:56 AM

Quote:

Needing very user friendly Remote for 1019, Samsung electronics, and, EXCELLENT "Wife Acceptance Factor" !! 8-)

thanks

The Harmony One meets everything but the price point (you're really low at $100)
The upcoming Harmony 700 might do the trick, but will again be over the price point.

and nothing is "dummy proof" several people in my company have proved that to me repeatedly..
post #1104 of 5181 Old 08-20-2009, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkedAchiles View Post

Can this reciever (VSX-1019AH-K) run 2 subs? I am looking at 2 PA-120's for my system with 2 Polk Monitor 70's and 4 Polk Monitor 40's for surrounds. Will it be sufficient to drive these or should I look at a bigger AV or an amp in addition to this one?

It has one subwoofer pre-out, though there are several ways to run 2 subs from one output. It does not have pre-amp outs for adding an external amplifier for the other channels. The issue isn't with what speakers you have (unless you have magnaplanars or the like) but how much cubic feet of space you are trying to fill.

I like the sound of my 919 a great deal, but it does not have a great deal of power. If you are looking at a large room and want to play at or near reference level, I'd look for something with the option of adding external amplification later.
post #1105 of 5181 Old 08-20-2009, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

thanks

I've standardized on the Logitech Harmony 670. It doesn't have all of the bells and whistles of the Harmony One, but its price did allow me to buy three for each of our major areas to watch TV/DVD/listen to music....

I have my mother-in-law in a small appartment with a multi platter DVD player, a FIOS box tied to a 37" HDTV. In our family room, we have the 1019 with an HD-A35, A BDP-83, a Wii, a FIOS Box, a 47" HDTV and two zones, one 5.1, one stereo configured. My office, which has been completely coopted by my teenagers and is mostly off limits to me has an XBox, a FIOS box, and upconverting DVD player, a 32" HDTV and several computers.

All in all very different setups. I bought the same remote for all, programmed each independently, but used the same functions. In this remote, you have four buttons representing - DVD, Music, TV, Other.

The important ones to the family are DVD, Music, TV. In each room , each of these is set up to turn on the appropriate components, in the right sequence to let you do the function.

In the case of TV:

In the family room: The TV get turned on, then the 1019, then the FIOS box, the right HDMI selections are made for TV and 1019 and you are set to go.

In my mother-in-law's (since surround sound scares her) the TV goes on, the HDMI connection is selected and the FIOS box is turned on.

Etc......

In all cases, if you've been watching a BD, the BDP-83 would be shut off as part of the "watch TV" function, so you never see a component on that doesn't contribute to the function. It's very easy for the family, since it is one button to turn on the "TV" and one button to shut it off. Can't be simpler. If you want to change attribute, rewind, volume, etc. those are easy to access with buttons that are clear and easy to manage.

It is completely transparent to my family, which is mostly peopled with low patience for technology.

As to programming it, you simply connect it to a USB port on your computer, install an app, and then use their very easy to configure interface to set up your system. All you need are the brand and product type, and they will download the control codes into your remote. The organization of these codes into "activities" is easy and graphical. If you want to get more complex, you can, but don't need to. 5 to 10 minutes, unless you want to play with parameters.

I really can't recommend it enough for basic and some complex viewing.
post #1106 of 5181 Old 08-20-2009, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orta View Post

Sounds like you ran Audysee on the 590. It exaggerates a lot of the lower frequencies pretty substantially. Just the opposite of you, this is why I prefer MCACC to Audysee.

Hmm.. don't think I would agree with your characterization. If you were to break down the list of complaints about Audyssey results, I bet the the most common complaint would be that the bass/lower frequencies have disappeared or have been attenuated from what the users had been used to previously, not that Audyssey "exaggerates.. pretty substantianially", as you say. In fact, I would venture to guess that "weak bass" would be near the top of the list when someone is dissatisfied with their MCACC results as well.

Reasons may include taking improper mic measurements resulting in poor inaccurate results, or the measurements and resulting sound might be accurate but since the person had grown too accustomed to inaccurate exaggerated bass their room now sounds bass-shy to them, or, poor results may be the fault of a difficult room especially combined with one of Audyssey's lesser versions (2EQ, etc, verses the superior multi-XT).

None of this is to say that someone might not prefer the results or the versatility of MCACC over the Audyssey.

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #1107 of 5181 Old 08-20-2009, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnewmanpac View Post

It has one subwoofer pre-out, though there are several ways to run 2 subs from one output. It does not have pre-amp outs for adding an external amplifier for the other channels. The issue isn't with what speakers you have (unless you have magnaplanars or the like) but how much cubic feet of space you are trying to fill.

I like the sound of my 919 a great deal, but it does not have a great deal of power. If you are looking at a large room and want to play at or near reference level, I'd look for something with the option of adding external amplification later.

Would you recommend a different brand or upgrading to an elite pioneer? It seems to be a big jump in price for the elites but the rated power (as on the box and probably off I know) usually goes down.

The only speakers I will be concerned about the power with are the Polk Monitor 70's I am getting.

Polk Monitor 70's:
Response - 30 Hz - 25,000Hz Nominal Impedance - 8 ohms Recommended Amplifier Power 20 - 275 watts per channel Efficiency 90 dB Crossover - 2.6kHz and 2.6kHz cascade tapered.

Am I worrying about nothing with the advertised 120 watts/channel in the 1019?
post #1108 of 5181 Old 08-20-2009, 10:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkedAchiles View Post

Am I worrying about nothing with the advertised 120 watts/channel in the 1019?

yes...

- chris

post #1109 of 5181 Old 08-20-2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

yes...

Good

Then I think I am ready to drop about 4200$ on audio/video equipment. I am totally not showing the g/f the receipts on this one . . .

That is so depressing sometimes to think about when I could get a car for that or a lot of smoothies. . .
post #1110 of 5181 Old 08-20-2009, 11:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^^

or 210 lap dances...

it only hurts when you pay for it... after that, just enjoy it without thinking about how much it cost...

- chris

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page