The "Official" Pioneer VSX-1019AH Owner's Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 5157 Old 06-08-2009, 04:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Make sure you have all of the proper audio settings selected on your PS3 as well. Go into Sound Settings and make sure all the apprpriate 5.1 and 7.1 codecs are checked off. It sounds like PS3 issue (source) rather than receiver (as it sounds like you have tried changing settings on receiver already).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 5157 Old 06-08-2009, 04:44 PM

I am thinking of buying the Pioneer VSX-919AH next week. To anyone using this receiver do you have words of advice (ie. Do it, awesome receiver or Stay Away!). I am using PS3 for movies and gaming, Samsung 52" A550, and I love the digital ipod connection. I am looking at matching the receiver with Orb Audio speakers (Peoples Choice system) Thanks in advance.
post #93 of 5157 Old 06-09-2009, 05:01 AM

I played around with it last night the sound quality is good but why put a volume control from -80 to -65 that produces no sound (what's the use for this they should start the unit at -65).But when you put it to -31 and lower you have great sound. It's complicated setup but worth it, I still don't know what all the buttons do. Last night I put in mama mia the chopper was cool to hear from all the speakers it sounded like going around the room.

So I guess this unit is growing on me now

Somebody should put all of his setting so others will have this less complicated(someone who knows what the settings do) not me lol.
THe book could be sttting up pioneer for dummies I'd buy one
post #94 of 5157 Old 06-09-2009, 05:55 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger101 View Post

I played around with it last night the sound quality is good but why put a volume control from -80 to -65 that produces no sound (what's the use for this they should start the unit at -65).But when you put it to -31 and lower you have great sound. It's complicated setup but worth it,

I keep thinking "but these go to 11...."
post #95 of 5157 Old 06-09-2009, 09:07 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tex94 View Post

5) If you still aren't getting the bass you are looking for, adjust the SW Channel on the AVR up 1-2dB.
Bottom line is that this AVR should produce plenty of bass for you.

I myself have plenty of bass for movies and games. I had to lower the LFE channel to -10dB. However, for music the bass was not as loud as my other stereo's. Same for the treble.

I played with the manual calibration. I copied my auto calibration into a new memory and bumped up the 16k EQ band to 10dB from 2dB for all channels. That did it for me on the high end. For the subwoofer I increased the level to 0dB from -4.5dB in the speaker level setup.

Note that for music I use the stereo mode that allows also the tone control to be on and I have the bass and treble at +6db.
The Neural THX seems to be the best surround for music, but because the tone control is disabled, the bass and treble are not high enough to get any closer to the stereo mode. I wish there was tone control for all channels.

This receiver allows you to tweak all things in manual mode unlike others and chances are you will get the sound that you want one way or another.
post #96 of 5157 Old 06-09-2009, 09:31 AM

Thinking of taking it back.
When I do get surround, it sounds good, but far too often the system resorts to just Stereo even when the source says Dolby Digital. And goes back and forth during commercials - pretty annoying. Non HD stations only coming in in Stereo too (Analog and Digital channels).
I like the ALC setting the best. All others seem to bleed too much dialog into FL & FR - and I do have the Dialog setting on.

I have a Samsung LCD with the HDMI from the 1019 to TV.
Comcast Motorola DCH3416 HD/DVR Connected by HDMI into the 1019 (box is set for HDMI).
And Xbox 360 (and HD DVD Drive) connected by HDMI into the 1019.
Just using 5 not 5.1 at the moment.

Is there something I'm missing? Did I get a bad unit?
post #97 of 5157 Old 06-09-2009, 10:47 AM

What about the fan in the receiver.
Is it quit or can you hear at lower sound levels ??
post #98 of 5157 Old 06-09-2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalilama30 View Post

Thinking of taking it back.
When I do get surround, it sounds good, but far too often the system resorts to just Stereo even when the source says Dolby Digital. And goes back and forth during commercials - pretty annoying. Non HD stations only coming in in Stereo too (Analog and Digital channels).
I like the ALC setting the best. All others seem to bleed too much dialog into FL & FR - and I do have the Dialog setting on.

I have a Samsung LCD with the HDMI from the 1019 to TV.
Comcast Motorola DCH3416 HD/DVR Connected by HDMI into the 1019 (box is set for HDMI).
And Xbox 360 (and HD DVD Drive) connected by HDMI into the 1019.
Just using 5 not 5.1 at the moment.

Is there something I'm missing? Did I get a bad unit?

Select a standard surround and it will not be switching to stereo while switching stations. It will go to DolbyPrologicII instead and make a surround sound for you.
I have selected the Dolby/DolbyPrologicII standard surround for the TV input, the auto surround for the blu ray, and stereo for the tuner. This way it switches to stereo only when I play audio CDs on the blu-ray or listen to the radio.

About the bleeding of the dialog. The dialog enhancement setting sucks. I keep it off.

If your source says just Dolby Digital, that is probably 2.1 so the stereo mode is probably OK for reproducing it. I have never had a case when the source says Dolby 5.1 and the AVR chooses stereo in auto surround mode. When my comcast box says just Dolby, that's 2.1 and it does go to stereo for me too. That's why I use the standard surround mode to make it go to DolbyPrologicII.
post #99 of 5157 Old 06-09-2009, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dret10 View Post

What about the fan in the receiver.
Is it quit or can you hear at lower sound levels ??

I didn't know it had a fan until I saw the pictures on that German site. I have never heard the fan. Mine is on a TV stand, not in a cabinet. My motorola cable box has a fan and that one really makes a lot of noise.
post #100 of 5157 Old 06-09-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post

I keep thinking "but these go to 11...."

I was thinking the same thing. lol spinal tap well these are better they go up to 11
post #101 of 5157 Old 06-09-2009, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsmoker View Post

Select a standard surround and it will not be switching to stereo while switching stations. It will go to DolbyPrologicII instead and make a surround sound for you.
I have selected the Dolby/DolbyPrologicII standard surround for the TV input, the auto surround for the blu ray, and stereo for the tuner. This way it switches to stereo only when I play audio CDs on the blu-ray or listen to the radio.

About the bleeding of the dialog. The dialog enhancement setting sucks. I keep it off.

If your source says just Dolby Digital, that is probably 2.1 so the stereo mode is probably OK for reproducing it. I have never had a case when the source says Dolby 5.1 and the AVR chooses stereo in auto surround mode. When my comcast box says just Dolby, that's 2.1 and it does go to stereo for me too. That's why I use the standard surround mode to make it go to DolbyPrologicII.

Ahhhh that's better. Thanks!
I'd swear I tried that mode before. lol
post #102 of 5157 Old 06-09-2009, 05:48 PM

I'm considering getting the 1019 to replace my Pioneer Elite VSX-36TX. From the specs, it looks like the only thing I'm losing is the THX-Ultra certification, but obviously I'm gaining a lot since the 36TX is an 8 year old receiver. I'm mostly getting it because of the HDMI support. I don't want a reduction in sound quality though. I'm thinking the 1019 will be the same or better in everything, but going from a $1500 to a $500 receiver makes me a bit nervous about it. I won't be taking a step down with the 1019 will I?

It will be driving Polk Monitor 70 fronts, Polk CS2 center and Cerwin-Vega VS-80 rears.
post #103 of 5157 Old 06-09-2009, 07:43 PM

"That is correct, use optical to receiver. Also Uverse box may experience audio drop out."

I'm having trouble setting this up to get the video from the hdmi and the audio from the optical. When I change my input to get the optical audio I get no video since the hdmi is no longer selected. What am I missing? Stupid Uverse and stereo from hdmi!
post #104 of 5157 Old 06-09-2009, 08:42 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Baucom View Post

I'm considering getting the 1019 to replace ...I won't be taking a step down with the 1019 will I?

get the Pioneer Elite SC-05 from 6th Avenue...

<><

RTR
post #105 of 5157 Old 06-09-2009, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deafjeff View Post

"That is correct, use optical to receiver. Also Uverse box may experience audio drop out."

I'm having trouble setting this up to get the video from the hdmi and the audio from the optical. When I change my input to get the optical audio I get no video since the hdmi is no longer selected. What am I missing? Stupid Uverse and stereo from hdmi!

You need to use the Input Setup on the Home menu/System Setup to specify that the input you are using (say TV/SAT) is set to the appropriate optical input for Digital In (I use OPT-1) and the correct HDMI input (I use Input-1).

Then make sure you use the Signal Select on the remote to force source for the audio to Digital, and not Auto, which will default to HDMI. The uVerse STB's only send Dolby Digital over the optical cable...
post #106 of 5157 Old 06-09-2009, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aenygma View Post

I have to say I am probably going to need a lot of help with the 1019 and setting up correctly (please bear with me lol) I have my father flying out from NY this week, so not too sure how much time I will get to fiddle with it.

I used component b/c att said people have has issues with HDMI and their boxes.
I also use the optical so I can listen to sound from either the TV or through the system.

I found that HDMi worked considerably better than component with my Pioneer Plasma TV. With component the picture would break up whenever the picture contained a bright white background. This is a firmware issue with many of the uVerse boxes.

For the audio, you want to use an optical cable to your receiver, and force the "Signal Select" on your receiver into Digital, in order to get Dolby Digital. The default audio mode is Auto, which will select the HDMI audio, which is stereo only form uVerse.
post #107 of 5157 Old 06-10-2009, 05:09 AM

I just got my 1019 yesterday and spent most of the afternoon and evening swapping out my old 816. When I finally got everything connected the remote would not power on the 1019 however, I could push the power button on the unit and it would power on. I figured I must have done something wrong so I rechecked everything and it all looked good. I even went so far as changing batteries in the remote, searched this forum, checked Pioneer's site and found nothing that helped. I decided to take a break and think things over. I thought why don't I try my 816's remote. Wow, the 816 remote turned the unit on. I was able to use the 816 remote to get started with the setup. I've notified Pioneer that the remote is bad.

I know that I've seen other posts about the remote not working properly so I thought I'd post this. I'll update when I hear back from Pioneer.
post #108 of 5157 Old 06-10-2009, 06:27 AM

I don`t think it`s the remote. my 1019 has done this 7 times since i`ve had it.i e-mailed pioneer about this,their reply was to make sure main zone 2 switch is set to main. it may have something to do with the kuro link???on a different subject i thought i would turn upmix for rear speakers off to see if there was any difference.what the postage stamp of an owners manual does`nt tell you is that there can`t be anything plugged into the usb port.this where you can change speaker impedance,reset avr,etc.also if anyone out there has found a way to have input setting displayed all of the time instead of the surround mode please post how you did it.THANKS.
post #109 of 5157 Old 06-10-2009, 06:38 AM

tiny

I'm pretty sure it's the remote since the 816 remote worked like a charm. The 1019 remote does nothing. Still waiting to hear back from Pioneer. I was able to turn off Kuro Link using the 816 remote.
post #110 of 5157 Old 06-10-2009, 06:58 AM

I realize that Rock Band has an auto calibrator (which is great) but I'd like the be able to get the source as lag free as possible. I've tried both HDMI and Optical and I still get about 49ms of lag even on the Direct setting (which is supposed to pass signals through untouched). Is this normal?
post #111 of 5157 Old 06-10-2009, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecutchins View Post

tiny

I'm pretty sure it's the remote since the 816 remote worked like a charm. The 1019 remote does nothing. Still waiting to hear back from Pioneer. I was able to turn off Kuro Link using the 816 remote.

I know you double check everything but did you recheck the battery installation? (+ and -)
post #112 of 5157 Old 06-10-2009, 07:14 AM

One other way to test whether it is the remote is to program your TV, cable box, dvd player or other unit in. If you can do that and it works then the remote isn't the issue. However, I suspect it is since the unit itself fires up when another remote is controlling it
post #113 of 5157 Old 06-10-2009, 08:49 AM

I'm not sure what I did but my 1019 now has a lot more volume than it did before. It used to be (like many of you said) that I would start to hear sound around -50 and watch it under normal conditions at about -30 for cable. Well, I switched out my cable box (the old comcast one died) and all of a sudden I get audible volume at -60 and I end up watching programs at -40 or so. Very odd. I know these comcast boxes let you set the volume being output and it does impact the AVR but both units were at max volume so it should have been the same.

To make things more interesting, all of my other sources are louder too. So this has me wondering whether the old Comcast box (DCT-3416) was drawing so much power from the socket that I was getting less juice to the 1019. Perhaps the newer DCH-3416 is more efficient? Or maybe it was just a bad box? I'm switching to a Tivo HD next week so hopefully the volume reproduction is similar.

Anyone ever seen anything like that? Makes me think about power conditioners and their value, which I had always discounted before.
post #114 of 5157 Old 06-10-2009, 08:56 AM

Quote:

tiny

Did you try programming the remote to the right AVR code? It may have been misprogrammed. The ARV supports 4 codes. Unless it's the default code, it shows a number 2-4 on the front display
post #115 of 5157 Old 06-10-2009, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex94 View Post

I'm not sure what I did but my 1019 now has a lot more volume than it did before. It used to be (like many of you said) that I would start to hear sound around -50 and watch it under normal conditions at about -30 for cable. Well, I switched out my cable box (the old comcast one died) and all of a sudden I get audible volume at -60 and I end up watching programs at -40 or so. Very odd. I know these comcast boxes let you set the volume being output and it does impact the AVR but both units were at max volume so it should have been the same.

To make things more interesting, all of my other sources are louder too. So this has me wondering whether the old Comcast box (DCT-3416) was drawing so much power from the socket that I was getting less juice to the 1019. Perhaps the newer DCH-3416 is more efficient? Or maybe it was just a bad box? I'm switching to a Tivo HD next week so hopefully the volume reproduction is similar.

Anyone ever seen anything like that? Makes me think about power conditioners and their value, which I had always discounted before.

I noticed the same thing on mine for all sources, but nothing has changed in my setup since hooking up the 1019. My default volume is set at -40. I used to have to crank it up a little to watch. Now it seems about right. ???

PSN ID: Irishman44
post #116 of 5157 Old 06-10-2009, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just got my 1019 yesterday and spent most of the afternoon and evening swapping out my old 816. When I finally got everything connected the remote would not power on the 1019 however, I could push the power button on the unit and it would power on. I figured I must have done something wrong so I rechecked everything and it all looked good. I even went so far as changing batteries in the remote, searched this forum, checked Pioneer's site and found nothing that helped. I decided to take a break and think things over. I thought why don't I try my 816's remote. Wow, the 816 remote turned the unit on. I was able to use the 816 remote to get started with the setup. I've notified Pioneer that the remote is bad.

I know that I've seen other posts about the remote not working properly so I thought I'd post this. I'll update when I hear back from Pioneer.

919 remote does this as well. What brand TV do you guys have by chance?
post #117 of 5157 Old 06-10-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car5nc View Post

I noticed the same thing on mine for all sources, but nothing has changed in my setup since hooking up the 1019. My default volume is set at -40. I used to have to crank it up a little to watch. Now it seems about right. ???

Interesting. Anyone else seeing a similar pattern a few weeks in? Maybe there is some sort of break-in period? Not sure what that would be though and I've never heard of that for an AVR before. Still, makes even even happier with the purchase.
post #118 of 5157 Old 06-10-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orta View Post

919 remote does this as well. What brand TV do you guys have by chance?

I have a Hitachi Rear Projection, Directv, FIOS, XBox 360, Wii, and blu-ray attached. I just received confirmation from Pioneer that I have a bad remote. I'll be contacting them for a replacement either this afternoon or evening.
post #119 of 5157 Old 06-10-2009, 01:45 PM

I've had to turn mine up to -25. Maybe I should swap out my Comcast HD/DVR box too.
post #120 of 5157 Old 06-10-2009, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalilama30 View Post

I've had to turn mine up to -25. Maybe I should swap out my Comcast HD/DVR box too.

Maybe so. I've been doing a bit of research about my setup and now I'm wondering if it is a power issue (nothing to do with comcast, much as I love to blame them for things). I'm seeing lots of higher end conditioners/UPS/surge protectors that advertise 'high current' outlets for use with receivers and subwoofers. I'm still not totally convinced in the value but I may try and play around with different configurations to see if I get more or less power. I think my Monster surge protector gives the same current to all outlets but I'm going to unplug all the unnecessary ones and see if I get more power. I'll let you know after the weekend. In the meantime, if there are any engineering experts I would love to hear some insight.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page