post #121 of 5178 Old 06-11-2009, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecutchins View Post

I have a Hitachi Rear Projection, Directv, FIOS, XBox 360, Wii, and blu-ray attached. I just received confirmation from Pioneer that I have a bad remote. I'll be contacting them for a replacement either this afternoon or evening.

How does the FIOS box work with the 1019? I'm probably buying one soon, will be plugging in a Multi room (6416?) FIOS box through HDMI, an HD-DVD (A-35), the OPPO 83 and a Wii to the 1019.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 5178 Old 06-11-2009, 07:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryethe View Post

I realize that Rock Band has an auto calibrator (which is great) but I'd like the be able to get the source as lag free as possible. I've tried both HDMI and Optical and I still get about 49ms of lag even on the Direct setting (which is supposed to pass signals through untouched). Is this normal?

So after much messing around last night, it seems that I've found the source of the issue. Going to a pure analog signal (read: composite cables) has taken the lag to 0. It seems that even using Pure Direct, there is some sort of processing/handshaking lag with HDMI and Optical.

Second question: Why will the receiver not upscale a component 720p signal to 1080p? I have the following setup: HDMI from the receiver to the TV, component from my PS3 to the receiver. The receiver manages to upscale 480p and 1080i signals but won't do 720p for some reason. Is there a known reason for this? This occurs both in game and out of game.
post #123 of 5178 Old 06-11-2009, 08:25 AM

The FIOS works great. I'm using HDMI for video and coax for audio since all you can get is 5.1 anyway. I'd read of some possible issues using HDMI for both video and audio. I might do some playing around this weekend if I can get some spare time. I'm going to have to make a run across town to an authorized Pioneer repair center so they will order me a new remote. That along with all the other things to do might limit my time to play.
post #124 of 5178 Old 06-11-2009, 08:27 AM

Quote:

The FIOS works great. I'm using HDMI for video and coax for audio since all you can get is 5.1 anyway. I'd read of some possible issues using HDMI for both video and audio. I might do some playing around this weekend if I can get some spare time. I'm going to have to make a run across town to an authorized Pioneer repair center so they will order me a new remote. That along with all the other things to do might limit my time to play.

I should have clarified that the issues with HDMI audio were using Directv receivers.
post #125 of 5178 Old 06-11-2009, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:

Thanks, I can't compromise the FIOS service, the family would revolt. I probably will try HDMI only unless issues pop up. I use a Harmony 670, so the remote is not an issue, although I do demand that everything I pay for work. Who knows what FIOS will do in the future as far as sound, anyways.

Do you bitstream from your BD player? If so, how are the 1019 high end codecs performing? I now have the players decode them to analog MC.
post #126 of 5178 Old 06-11-2009, 10:38 AM

I just replaced my Onk 606 with this and really love it!

The only downside so far are:

1) Can't solo / mute individual speakers. For example if you just want to hear the center channel or surrounds. At least I can't figure out how!

2) You can't set individual crossovers for each speaker and you can't enable double bass between speakers and the sub.

Otherwise I am stoked about this .. especially for 500$ I paid for it. I could not find a comparable receiver in this range at all. Plus since it is brand new you get the most value from purchasing it.
post #127 of 5178 Old 06-11-2009, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I got my 919 today, didn't need the extra HDMI input or 1080p scaling and after my $248 game and movie trade in at Amazon, I was able to get this puppy for $111 with overnight shipping. Hooked it up this morning and am very pleased with it so far. I was using an Onkyo 605 which is fine but there are so many more bells & whistles on this receiver.

First off, this is a fine looking piece of equipment, way sleeker and prettier than Onkyo's lineup. Love the glossy black finish. The MACC setup was a breeze and sounds near perfect, I may have to tinker with a couple settings here and there but for the most part, it's pretty damn accurate. Another thing I really like is there is no pause when switching audio signals, it picks up right away without a pause, the Onkyo would pause and make that clicking sound before switching, the Pioneer is seamless. So far no issues, but I've only had it for a few hours. I am impressed with it so far. Safe to say I will probably be selling my Onkyo 605.
post #128 of 5178 Old 06-11-2009, 01:11 PM

Oh by the way .. does anyone know if it is possible to make the default display be the input name as opposed to the audio codec ?
post #129 of 5178 Old 06-11-2009, 01:25 PM

I don't think there is. I wish you could do that too. According to the manual you can hit RECEIVER-STATUS on the remote to see the current input. I haven't been able to get that to work though.
post #130 of 5178 Old 06-11-2009, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkbryant View Post

I got my 919 today, didn't need the extra HDMI input or 1080p scaling and after my $248 game and movie trade in at Amazon, I was able to get this puppy for $111 with overnight shipping. Hooked it up this morning and am very pleased with it so far. I was using an Onkyo 605 which is fine but there are so many more bells & whistles on this receiver.

First off, this is a fine looking piece of equipment, way sleeker and prettier than Onkyo's lineup. Love the glossy black finish. The MACC setup was a breeze and sounds near perfect, I may have to tinker with a couple settings here and there but for the most part, it's pretty damn accurate. Another thing I really like is there is no pause when switching audio signals, it picks up right away without a pause, the Onkyo would pause and make that clicking sound before switching, the Pioneer is seamless. So far no issues, but I've only had it for a few hours. I am impressed with it so far. Safe to say I will probably be selling my Onkyo 605.

Congratulations. Since there is still lingering concern about the amp power due to the weight, can you (or any other Onk owners) confirm that it sounds as powerful as your older equipment. As far as I know, the Onkyo 605 was considered a very solid unit with plenty of power for a mid-range AVR. IMO, these Pioneers are great too with plenty of power and some new features too. It would be great to hear that confirmed from a few others that can do A/B tests.
post #131 of 5178 Old 06-11-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex94 View Post

I don't think there is. I wish you could do that too. According to the manual you can hit RECEIVER-STATUS on the remote to see the current input. I haven't been able to get that to work though.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that way. I would much rather see "TV/SAT" than "DOLBY DIGITAL" when I look up at my receiver...

I did get the receiver status to work on my 919, seems like you have t his the "Receiver" button at the bottom of the remote, and then the Receiver Status, or it won't work.

All it does is rotate through the input and then settings though - not what you really want...
post #132 of 5178 Old 06-11-2009, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Congratulations. Since there is still lingering concern about the amp power due to the weight, can you (or any other Onk owners) confirm that it sounds as powerful as your older equipment. As far as I know, the Onkyo 605 was considered a very solid unit with plenty of power for a mid-range AVR. IMO, these Pioneers are great too with plenty of power and some new features too. It would be great to hear that confirmed from a few others that can do A/B tests.

My early analysis is yes, it is just as powerful as the Onkyo was. I'm still tweaking and exploring the settings but it pushes my Polk Audio Monitors quite nicely! Just finished playing with the iPod setting and it works way better than I anticipated. The sound is much nicer and more CD like than I thought possible. It's still MP3 but it sounds much richer.
post #133 of 5178 Old 06-12-2009, 04:37 AM

Liked: 12
i had a 606 onkyo,my 1019 plays as loud as the onk ever did.i know this isn`t very scientific,but play something that that you can pause,ipod etc.then turn volumne way up.on my 1019 there is little if any sonic "hash" coming out of speakers,the onkyo made a lot of noise at a lower volumne setting. the only thing i wish the pioneer had was volumne leveling for each input.glad to see i`m not the only one who would like to be able to change the display setting.
post #134 of 5178 Old 06-12-2009, 07:20 AM

So I ran into my first issue last night. I've been using my Macbook as an HTPC for a few weeks now and everything works fine (have it connected mini-DVI to HDMI to Pio along with optical). Last night when I turned on the Macbook I couldn't get the video signal to pass through to the TV at all. I tried some of the other video feeds and they worked fine. I tried my settings on the Mac but it said it was passing 1080p/60 just like always. I was able to reconnect the Macbook directly to the TV (no settings changes) and it worked fine. Audio always worked too. I know HTPCs sometimes have trouble sending the right signal through an AVR but since it worked for weeks I am confused. Any thoughts? Could the Pioneer be corrupting the settings somehow?
post #135 of 5178 Old 06-12-2009, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member

Anyone know if this unit allows for the audio/video pass through feature when the unit is off like the new yamaha's and denon's?

PSN: okfireman
XBL: okfireman38
post #136 of 5178 Old 06-12-2009, 08:27 AM

I don't believe so. You have to have the unit on...
post #137 of 5178 Old 06-12-2009, 10:11 AM

Ok, today when I went back and tried the macbook again I had no issues running it through the Pioneer. So I'm guessing I had some sort of HDMI handshake issue and that by turning everything off and back on it fixed that.
post #138 of 5178 Old 06-12-2009, 06:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aross99 View Post

I don't believe so. You have to have the unit on...

epic bummer. Guess it cant have every feature known to man though.

Anybody see any problems with leaving the unit on for extended periods of time while watching tv? Properly ventilated of course.

post #139 of 5178 Old 06-12-2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okfireman View Post

epic bummer. Guess it cant have every feature known to man though.

Anybody see any problems with leaving the unit on for extended periods of time while watching tv? Properly ventilated of course.

I've had it on for 4-6 hour stretches with no issues. Unit is quite warm but I can still hold my hand on it.
post #140 of 5178 Old 06-12-2009, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by okfireman View Post

Anyone know if this unit allows for the audio/video pass through feature when the unit is off like the new yamaha's and denon's?

What model number Yamaha and Denon does this with it off?
post #141 of 5178 Old 06-12-2009, 06:50 PM

Quote:

I've had it on for 4-6 hour stretches with no issues. Unit is quite warm but I can still hold my hand on it.

I have mine on for longer than that, all the time, and no problems...
post #142 of 5178 Old 06-12-2009, 07:42 PM

Quote:

Maybe so. I've been doing a bit of research about my setup and now I'm wondering if it is a power issue (nothing to do with comcast, much as I love to blame them for things). I'm seeing lots of higher end conditioners/UPS/surge protectors that advertise 'high current' outlets for use with receivers and subwoofers. I'm still not totally convinced in the value but I may try and play around with different configurations to see if I get more or less power. I think my Monster surge protector gives the same current to all outlets but I'm going to unplug all the unnecessary ones and see if I get more power. I'll let you know after the weekend. In the meantime, if there are any engineering experts I would love to hear some insight.

Not sure it's Comcast. I have to turn it up just as high for the iPod or the 360 so I'm thinking that rules out the cable box.

Got my Energy Take 5 Classics today. They sound great, but still have to turn them up to -25.

Just realized I never reset the receiver all the different times I tried the auto set up. So I reset it, did the auto setup again and still low sound. May have to contact Pioneer.
post #143 of 5178 Old 06-12-2009, 09:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

What model number Yamaha and Denon does this with it off?

not sure about yamaha just know their new line has it and im pretty sure the denon 919 and up have it as well.

post #144 of 5178 Old 06-13-2009, 06:18 AM

Have similar issue with my 1019's volume when playing DVDs on my Sony N575H player : connections via HDMI from Sony DVP to 1019 then HDMI output to TV for Video. Speaker system is Energy Take 5 Classic....Note, when listening to audio only via either pure reciever to FM station or CD player....volume is much louder....need only -40 db to fill medium room....versus about -30db for similar volume with DVDs. Comments???
post #145 of 5178 Old 06-13-2009, 07:18 AM

It is strange how "low" the volume goes on these receivers.

I first encountered this on my older VSX-914 receiver. I thought it was defective at first, because I didn't get any sound. Luckily i kept turning up the volume and eventually, I heard something. This is especially true ifyou physically turn the knob, like you would do, when you are standing in front of the receiver.

When I got my new VSX-919, I knew I would have to keep on turning it up until I heard something. My receiver starts out at -80, but I can't hear anything until I get up to -50, and normally, I have it at -30 to -25 for normal TV listening, and this is using an optical connection from my tuner to the receiver.
post #146 of 5178 Old 06-13-2009, 10:37 AM

It varies quite a bit by source. Like others, I get decent music volume at -45 to -40 but typically higher vol is required for BD/DVD/TV. But on my new Tivo HD some of the netflix instant requires a volume of only -55 or so to sound fine while DD tracks still require -40 to -30. Must be how this unit processes the DD track.
post #147 of 5178 Old 06-13-2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:

It varies quite a bit by source. Like others, I get decent music volume at -45 to -40 but typically higher vol is required for BD/DVD/TV. But on my new Tivo HD some of the netflix instant requires a volume of only -55 or so to sound fine while DD tracks still require -40 to -30. Must be how this unit processes the DD track.

I would like to know if the 1019's volume issue occurs in the next step-up in receivers; that is, the Pioneer VSX-01THX Elite Series....I know the Elite has very similar functions but weights about 10lbs more....most likely it will also operate somewhat cooler at higher volumes??
post #148 of 5178 Old 06-13-2009, 02:25 PM

I have a DISH VIP722 connected to the HDMI 1 input. The 1019 is connected to my Toshiba 46XF550U LCD via an HDMI cable. At power on, the TV outputs audio (with HDMI 1 as the input source), but only displays a message that says "unsupported video signal." If I change the input to another source and change it back to HDMI 1, the video comes on. Anyone know of a fix to get proper power on?

The 1019 is brand new and recently hooked up. The only programming I've done is to disable Kurolink.
post #149 of 5178 Old 06-13-2009, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemkr View Post

I have a DISH VIP722 connected to the HDMI 1 input. The 1019 is connected to my Toshiba 46XF550U LCD via an HDMI cable. At power on, the TV outputs audio (with HDMI 1 as the input source), but only displays a message that says "unsupported video signal." If I change the input to another source and change it back to HDMI 1, the video comes on. Anyone know of a fix to get proper power on?

The 1019 is brand new and recently hooked up. The only programming I've done is to disable Kurolink.

Definitely an HDMI handshake issue. Given that you can toggle the input and then it locks in I'm guessing you'll want to consider a different power on sequence. If you are using a Harmony remote it will be easy to switch this around. I'd try a few different sequences until you find one that works. HDMI issues are a real pain in that every manufacturer blames the next one down/up the line. Pioneer would probably call this a Dish or Samsung issue.
post #150 of 5178 Old 06-13-2009, 05:40 PM

Can this receiver do analog audio reassign if you're using a DVI input?

Thanks.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page