post #1531 of 5172 Old 10-03-2009, 12:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdelvecchio View Post

hello,

just got my unit in, have a couple questions.

1) im trying to map my components to the inputs. one of my devices is a computer w/ a DVI-to-HDMI cable plugged into the unit's HDMI 1 and an optical out also plugged in. my understanding is i need to go into the "Input Setup" menu and modify one of the existing device mappings (DVR, DVD, TV/SAT, etc) to point to these inputs.

im trying to do this, but the menu item for selecting the HDMI Input is greyed out -- so I can't tell the unit I'd like to use HDMI 1 for the DVD profile.

arrgh. i see somebody else had this problem, does anybody have the solution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdelvecchio View Post

found it -- one must disable the KURO Link, whatever the hell that is.

I am having the same problem and Kuro link is disabled. I have the hdmi input and coax assigned to the same profile, and I can either get video or sound, not both at the same time. How do I set this receiver up with a computer with external sound?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 5172 Old 10-03-2009, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinister99 View Post

I am having the same problem and Kuro link is disabled. I have the hdmi input and coax assigned to the same profile, and I can either get video or sound, not both at the same time. How do I set this receiver up with a computer with external sound?

WHen you get video and no sound, try pressing "SIGNAL SEL" and select the audio inputs until you can hear it...
post #1533 of 5172 Old 10-04-2009, 07:58 PM

Sorry to hijack the thread, but requesting for some inputs on my receiver.

I finally got the 1019 last week.

1. MCAAC - Ran the MCAAC test and it consistently errors out on the Microphone. I finally got past it and did the speaker test which failed with a configuration error.
I got past that too by setting the speakers to "yes" after which all tests ambient noise, wave control etc worked fine.

At this point, do you guys think its ok to ignore the previous errors? I have re-checked the speaker wires and everything appears to fine. The +/- seem to be in place.

2. All my components are connected via HDMI. While I have plenty of HD channels for TV, the amp always plays it in Stero mode. When is the uber surround supposed to kick-in? The digiatl stuff did auto kicked (I have set surround to Auto pick) when I connected the X-box, but aren't regular HD channles digital audio?

Also, any recommendations on keeping the surround set to Auto (auto change based on source) or do I set it to some movie mode?

3. The ipod was a disaster as I have two 4th generation ipods and keep getting the generation error. As per manual, the receiver only supports 5th generation +, classic and some nano models.

4. The remote - It's a nightmare!! i think it might be worthwhile putting some money towards a Harmony . The least they could have done is provide some backlight!

5. I was able to hook-up my PC using an RCA cable. Works out pretty fine. No video, but auido is good enough.

Ok. Whining over :-.
I still do like this receiver. Though the MCAAC tests failed, it still sounds pretty good. And yes, it does look neat and wife finally approved to keep it in living room :-

Appreciate your inputs/suggestions. I'd really be interested to know if its common to be changing the surround sound mode based on what you watch. i'd rather have one setting for most inputs. I don't game much. X-box just exists.

Thx!
post #1534 of 5172 Old 10-04-2009, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by primus_2001 View Post

2. All my components are connected via HDMI. While I have plenty of HD channels for TV, the amp always plays it in Stero mode. When is the uber surround supposed to kick-in?

When you tell it to

If the unit is set to auto and it gets a stereo signal, it will default to stereo. You have to manually set Pro Logic II or some other surround mode on stereo sources. That's what I had to do on my 919 anyway when watching satellite TV - my provider rarely sends anything out in Dolby Digital.

If the signal should be Dolby Digital, you may yet need to configure your cable/sat box correctly to output it. If the receiver only gets PCM stereo, it can't decode DD.
post #1535 of 5172 Old 10-05-2009, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahoma Wolf View Post

When you tell it to

If the unit is set to auto and it gets a stereo signal, it will default to stereo. You have to manually set Pro Logic II or some other surround mode on stereo sources. That's what I had to do on my 919 anyway when watching satellite TV - my provider rarely sends anything out in Dolby Digital.

If the signal should be Dolby Digital, you may yet need to configure your cable/sat box correctly to output it. If the receiver only gets PCM stereo, it can't decode DD.

Thx OW. That would be painful to keep changing the settings, but I see the point.

Any ideas on the MCACC failures? I almost wonder if I have a bad microphone and maybe should get a replacement? Is the Pioneer customer support any good? I bought this from Amazon, so they qualify as a qualified Pioneer retailer.
post #1536 of 5172 Old 10-05-2009, 09:25 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:

Thx OW. That would be painful to keep changing the settings, but I see the point.

Any ideas on the MCACC failures? I almost wonder if I have a bad microphone and maybe should get a replacement? Is the Pioneer customer support any good? I bought this from Amazon, so they qualify as a qualified Pioneer retailer.

What are the exact errors you got?
The speaker phase test typically fails for me. The manual says that it can be mislead by the room geometry and certain kinds of speakers, if I recall correctly. I just ignore it when it says to reverse the terminals on certain speakers.
At some point I changed the house and the speakers. In the old house with the old speakers it was fairly reliable, but it did ask me to swap the wires where I though the speakers were wired correctly. In the new house with the old speakers it was not as reliable, but I was able to get it to pass. With the new speakers it was not possibe. Just ignore the phase test. I cannot speak of other MCACC errors.
post #1537 of 5172 Old 10-05-2009, 11:11 AM

I have a 5.1 speaker system. The front left and front right speakers are 6 ohm rated. The rest of the speakers are 8 ohm rated. On the 1019, should I select the 6 ohm or 8 ohm speaker setting?
Thanks.
post #1538 of 5172 Old 10-05-2009, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:

1. MCAAC - Ran the MCAAC test and it consistently errors out on the Microphone. I finally got past it and did the speaker test which failed with a configuration error.
I got past that too by setting the speakers to "yes" after which all tests ambient noise, wave control etc worked fine.

At this point, do you guys think its ok to ignore the previous errors? I have re-checked the speaker wires and everything appears to fine. The +/- seem to be in place.

I ignored the speaker errors after checking my connections, to make sure they were true. No problems.

Quote:

2. All my components are connected via HDMI. While I have plenty of HD channels for TV, the amp always plays it in Stero mode. When is the uber surround supposed to kick-in? The digiatl stuff did auto kicked (I have set surround to Auto pick) when I connected the X-box, but aren't regular HD channles digital audio?

Also, any recommendations on keeping the surround set to Auto (auto change based on source) or do I set it to some movie mode?

Check your source, make sure it's set to output 5.1 (Cable) or other configurations (7.1 bluray?). Most of my HD channels output 5.1 for many shows, but commercials and quite a few shows come in as stereo. The beginning of the broadcast should tell you which is being broadcast. I had to explicitly put my (FIOS) box on multi channel, though, as the default is stereo.

Quote:

4. The remote - It's a nightmare!! i think it might be worthwhile putting some money towards a Harmony . The least they could have done is provide some backlight!

Can't emphasize enough how much a Harmony (doesn't have to be the most expensive one) will make the whole HT thing better.

Quote:

Appreciate your inputs/suggestions. I'd really be interested to know if its common to be changing the surround sound mode based on what you watch. i'd rather have one setting for most inputs. I don't game much. X-box just exists.

Thx!

I use my system about 60/40 HT/music (some Wii thrown in), I keep my stereo / surround setting the same. I just experimented with modes, select one I like and keep it there.
post #1539 of 5172 Old 10-05-2009, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoles View Post

I have a 5.1 speaker system. The front left and front right speakers are 6 ohm rated. The rest of the speakers are 8 ohm rated. On the 1019, should I select the 6 ohm or 8 ohm speaker setting?
Thanks.

Hmmm... Don't know this one. I'd take it to the speakers forum, create a new thread. Obviously choose the 6, but I don't know what that would do to the 8 ohm speakers.
post #1540 of 5172 Old 10-06-2009, 08:24 AM

Thanks hernanu. That is a good idea. I was hoping for a response more specific to the 1019, but I'll give your suggestion a shot.
post #1541 of 5172 Old 10-06-2009, 09:18 AM

Liked: 11
Need help from those who have PS3 connected to Pioneer:
I tried some regular DVDs with Dolby Digital 5.1 source on PS3, and switched between LPCM and bitstream output thru HDMI. I found the bass is noticeable weaker when I set the PS3 to output decoded LPCM than when I set PS3 to output undecoded bitstream (both thru HDMI). Did anyone of you noticed similar thing? Seems like I have some settings wrong either in the receiver or PS3, but I have checked every setting I know of. I have made sure it was not due to volume level difference or DRC settings. I read some threads talking about receiver should have 10db boost for PCM LFE, does the new Pioneer line still have this bug?
My settings are:
(1) All the DRC in PS3 and receiver are set to off.
(2) McACC on
(3) Standing wave on
(4) Loudness on
(5) I only have 5.1 speakers
(7) LFE attuna set to "0db"
(8) I have tried all possible surround modes with same result.

Can someone kindly point out what setting I need to correct this problem? Thanks.
post #1542 of 5172 Old 10-06-2009, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post

Hmmm... Don't know this one. I'd take it to the speakers forum, create a new thread. Obviously choose the 6, but I don't know what that would do to the 8 ohm speakers.

Just thinking aloud. What would the AVR do with the 6/8 Ohm setting? Maybe the following things:
- Use that to translate the output power to dB as shown on the display.
- Set a specific max output power limit - that is programmable by the user, but there is a default too. Using 6 Ohm will enable higher output levels, so that's the best choice. That will not affect the 8 Ohm speakers since they are limited by their impedance.
- Change the output circuit for optimum distortion, amp stability, current load capability, and maybe short circuit protection. I doubt that they are doing this because for current output amps what most AVRs are, there is no need for that to vary with the speaker impedance, but you best bet is with the 6 Ohm setting in that case.

The only issue I'm seeing is that MCACC doesn't seem to calibrate at different levels and if you tell it to use 6 Ohms, your level calibration will be fine at the reference level (0dB), but for lower levels the 8 Ohm speakers might sound louder and louder than the 6 Ohms as you decrease the level. That will affect your surround perception. I'm just guessing here. You can try that. Play some music in EXT.STEREO mode where all channels are loaded equally and reduce the volume to see if they sound equally loud.
post #1543 of 5172 Old 10-06-2009, 09:37 AM

Thx a bunch Hernanu. I'll try your suggestions.

BTW, all you guys rock! Huge fan of these forums!!
post #1544 of 5172 Old 10-06-2009, 12:18 PM

Liked: 15
I've got a 919 and a PS3 (Slim). I've set the audio settings to automatic in the PS3 - all have been selected (DD,DTS and PCM 2, 5.1 and 7.1) as well as to output bitstream via HDMI.

I've got a 5.1 speaker arrangement so I set up the 919 to Main and Zone2 (with Zone2 turned off).

When I play a game (CoD) as an example I see PCM and the full 7.1 speaker system lit up on the 919. I'm sure this game was not mastered in 7.1 surround. I've never figured out if you can change audio settings in the game so I've just accepted the output as is. My question is should I leave it as is or manually limit the output strictly to the Dolby and DTS codecs?

Anyone else dealt with this before and if so how did you set yours up?

Thank you.
post #1545 of 5172 Old 10-06-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdigger View Post

Need help from those who have PS3 connected to Pioneer:
I tried some regular DVDs with Dolby Digital 5.1 source on PS3, and switched between LPCM and bitstream output thru HDMI. I found the bass is noticeable weaker when I set the PS3 to output decoded LPCM than when I set PS3 to output undecoded bitstream (both thru HDMI). Did anyone of you noticed similar thing? Seems like I have some settings wrong either in the receiver or PS3, but I have checked every setting I know of. I have made sure it was not due to volume level difference or DRC settings. I read some threads talking about receiver should have 10db boost for PCM LFE, does the new Pioneer line still have this bug?
My settings are:
(1) All the DRC in PS3 and receiver are set to off.
(2) McACC on
(3) Standing wave on
(4) Loudness on
(5) I only have 5.1 speakers
(7) LFE attuna set to "0db"
(8) I have tried all possible surround modes with same result.

Can someone kindly point out what setting I need to correct this problem? Thanks.

AVDigger - Ive got a PS3 Slim and 919. Have you checked your speaker and crossover settings? You mention you have a 5.1 system - I assume they are satellites and a sub. After you run MCACC check how it set up your speakers. If set to large - change them to small and set your crossover at 150 (or 100) whatever works for you. Then run Auto MCACC and select keep speaker settings. There are plenty of postings here on how to do it if you dont know how. That should fix your bass problem. You may also need to increase the SW level by a couple of dB as well. Give that a try.

Good luck.
post #1546 of 5172 Old 10-06-2009, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1Nger View Post

AVDigger - Ive got a PS3 Slim and 919. Have you checked your speaker and crossover settings? You mention you have a 5.1 system - I assume they are satellites and a sub. After you run MCACC check how it set up your speakers. If set to large - change them to small and set your crossover at 150 (or 100) whatever works for you. Then run Auto MCACC and select keep speaker settings. There are plenty of postings here on how to do it if you dont know how. That should fix your bass problem. You may also need to increase the SW level by a couple of dB as well. Give that a try.

Good luck.

Hi G1Nger,
For your question of best setting suggestion, I would say don't worry about all channel lightup in the display, it is just showing the input source, not the receiver output channel. I read from somewhere that PS3 output all 7.1 channels even though there is no signal in some channels.

Now back to your reply to my post, Yes, I know very well about how to set the sat/sub system and the MCACC stuff, but I think this is not the root cause, because what I am talking about is the bass difference between bitstream and LPCM input, keeping all the other settings the same. Actually when I set the PS3 to output bitstream, I got a lot of bass, but when I switch the PS3 to output LPCM, then the bass is significantly less.

Can you do me a favor to repeat my test? Find a regular DVD with Dolby digital 5.1 soundtrack (not Bluray with TrueHD) with a lot of LFE bass, run it with PS3 thru HDMI, and switch the PS3 audio output setting between bitstream and Linear PCM output mode, see if you can hear the bass difference. Then try a Bluray with TrueHD soundtrack, and again see if you can hear bass difference between bitstream and LPCM output. Thanks.

The reason I am worry about this issue is that, unlike your new PS3 Slim which can now bitstream TrueHD and DTS MA HD audio formats, my old PS3 can not bitstream these HD audio format, it can only output multichannel PCMs for these TrueHD, DTS MA format, and if PCM input lose bass, the it is obviously a defect.
post #1547 of 5172 Old 10-06-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsmoker View Post

Just thinking aloud. What would the AVR do with the 6/8 Ohm setting? Maybe the following things:
- Use that to translate the output power to dB as shown on the display.
- Set a specific max output power limit - that is programmable by the user, but there is a default too. Using 6 Ohm will enable higher output levels, so that's the best choice. That will not affect the 8 Ohm speakers since they are limited by their impedance.
- Change the output circuit for optimum distortion, amp stability, current load capability, and maybe short circuit protection. I doubt that they are doing this because for current output amps what most AVRs are, there is no need for that to vary with the speaker impedance, but you best bet is with the 6 Ohm setting in that case.

The only issue I'm seeing is that MCACC doesn't seem to calibrate at different levels and if you tell it to use 6 Ohms, your level calibration will be fine at the reference level (0dB), but for lower levels the 8 Ohm speakers might sound louder and louder than the 6 Ohms as you decrease the level. That will affect your surround perception. I'm just guessing here. You can try that. Play some music in EXT.STEREO mode where all channels are loaded equally and reduce the volume to see if they sound equally loud.

Thanks for the input, Gunsmoker. I have been running on 8 ohm, calibrated with MCACC, and haven't noticed an unbalanced sound level among the speakers. I will have to see how much MCACC has set the specific speaker levels.
post #1548 of 5172 Old 10-06-2009, 09:42 PM

I'm thinking about ordering this AVR with the ED 6T6 speaker setup. I read a couple of people have DHCP issues with this receiver and Directv. I didn't read all the posts but I was wondering if this was really a problem with this AVR?
post #1549 of 5172 Old 10-07-2009, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoles View Post

Thanks.

The suggestion to check on the speaker forums is a good one. You'll get better advice there but I will share my own limited experience on the topic.

You should be generally ok running HIGHER resistance speakers at a lower setting (e.g., 8 ohm speakers on a 6 ohm setting, 6 ohm speakers on a 4 ohm setting, etc.). However, if you run LOWER resistance speakers at a higher setting (e.g., 4 ohm speakers at a 8 ohm setting) the reduced resistance means that the extra power flowing down to the speaker will build up and flow back to the AVR. In some cases, this could damage your AVR and/or send it into protect mode.

Now, in your case, I suspect the power ratings are close enough not to cause issues but if you play your speakers at high volumes for long periods of times, you may want to switch to the 6 ohm setting.
post #1550 of 5172 Old 10-07-2009, 08:39 AM

Thank you, tex94. Your advice is good.
post #1551 of 5172 Old 10-07-2009, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdigger View Post

Hi G1Nger,
For your question of best setting suggestion, I would say don't worry about all channel lightup in the display, it is just showing the input source, not the receiver output channel. I read from somewhere that PS3 output all 7.1 channels even though there is no signal in some channels.

Now back to your reply to my post, Yes, I know very well about how to set the sat/sub system and the MCACC stuff, but I think this is not the root cause, because what I am talking about is the bass difference between bitstream and LPCM input, keeping all the other settings the same. Actually when I set the PS3 to output bitstream, I got a lot of bass, but when I switch the PS3 to output LPCM, then the bass is significantly less.

Can you do me a favor to repeat my test? Find a regular DVD with Dolby digital 5.1 soundtrack (not Bluray with TrueHD) with a lot of LFE bass, run it with PS3 thru HDMI, and switch the PS3 audio output setting between bitstream and Linear PCM output mode, see if you can hear the bass difference. Then try a Bluray with TrueHD soundtrack, and again see if you can hear bass difference between bitstream and LPCM output. Thanks.

The reason I am worry about this issue is that, unlike your new PS3 Slim which can now bitstream TrueHD and DTS MA HD audio formats, my old PS3 can not bitstream these HD audio format, it can only output multichannel PCMs for these TrueHD, DTS MA format, and if PCM input lose bass, the it is obviously a defect.

AVdigger,

I ran the test as you asked - used Transformers (lots of LFE) and your observation is correct. There was a noticable lower audio level all around not just with the SW when outputting PCM as compared to DD. I have no idea if this is normal when the PS3 outputs PCM or not. Perhaps others can comment? I normally watch TV, DVD and BD around -34.5. I had to turn it up to about -25 or so with the PCM output. Hope that helps.
post #1552 of 5172 Old 10-07-2009, 01:22 PM

Quote:

AVdigger,

I ran the test as you asked - used Transformers (lots of LFE) and your observation is correct. There was a noticable lower audio level all around not just with the SW when outputting PCM as compared to DD. I have no idea if this is normal when the PS3 outputs PCM or not. Perhaps others can comment? I normally watch TV, DVD and BD around -34.5. I had to turn it up to about -25 or so with the PCM output. Hope that helps.

Thanks for your test. I have to rerun my test to make sure if it is just because of the volume level difference as you observed.
post #1553 of 5172 Old 10-08-2009, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

AVdigger,

LFE was developed for early film multi-channel implementations (Dolby 70mm, etc) to get a lot more oomph for some sounds (explosions, etc.) in movie theaters. The idea was to dedicate a single channel, to be serviced by a dedicated subwoofer, to handle only these sounds (up to 150 Hz).

That's how we get mind numbing rumble or explosions from movies. This dedicated channel was meant to go 10 db higher than the other channels which topped off at 105 db; this means the high end of the LFE channel is 115 db.

To avoid overloading anything along the way, it was decided to make it the responsibility of the receiver to know ahead of time that the LFE channel is meant to be 10db higher than the other channels. This means that, although the LFE range is up to 115 db, it is actually delivered at the same levels as the other channels, or 105db tops to the receiver. It is up to the receiver to make that final 10 db boost once it sees that the signal is an LFE signal.

In the case of bitstream, that boost is handled automatically, which is why you see bitstreamed explosions sounding "right". In the case of PCM, that boost may not be happening unless you explicitly go in and tell the receiver that the LFE signal is coming in low. You can look at the LFE channel settings in the 1019 (or 919) - --> Audio Parameter --> LFE and see if changing the setting to -10db fixes the issue.

In some cases, the receiver may lower all signals by 5db to give itself more headroom, in which case the right setting may be -15db.

There's also some impact of these settings if you're playing SACD disks, but let's get to that later. Anyways, this is why I prefer bitstream if possible.
post #1554 of 5172 Old 10-08-2009, 08:02 AM

Quote:

AVdigger,

I am still experimenting with my settings for DTS, but so far this works just fine:

1) Dialog Enhancement - ON (helps to boost soft dialogs in DTS)
2) DRC (Dynamic Range Control) - MAX (some people dislike this feature)
3) LFE (LFE Attenuate) - set to -10Db
post #1555 of 5172 Old 10-08-2009, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdan25 View Post

I am still experimenting with my settings for DTS, but so far this works just fine:

1) Dialog Enhancement - ON (helps to boost soft dialogs in DTS)
2) DRC (Dynamic Range Control) - MAX (some people dislike this feature)
3) LFE (LFE Attenuate) - set to -10Db

I have large speakers all around. This is how I adjusted these things:
- Set the the sub to PLUS mode, because otherwise it doesn't get turned on for music (PCM) if the speakers are large, but mine are not that large.
- Did the auto MCACC
- Did EQ pro - that improves the booming
- Tweaked the EQ manually - the MCACC suppresses the bass and emphasizes the mids in my case and it does not sound good so I increase the bass and treble and lower the mids for all speakers.
- Turned on tone control and set bass and treble to +6.
- Left DRC on auto
- Played a music track with the lowest bass - rock has much less bass than hip/hop and R&B - and adjusted the subwoofer level by its knob to what I liked. That has to be at a high level -10 to -20dB.
- Then played a blu-ray with the most bass, again at high level and adjusted the LFE to a reasonable level (-15dB).

This is how I got some balance between music and movies.
On top of that, most of the time I use ALC when whatching movies and TV if I don't want my wife yelling at me. I find that to have a much bigger effect on the dynamic range than the DRC and midnight settings.
post #1556 of 5172 Old 10-08-2009, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post

LFE was developed for early film multi-channel implementations (Dolby 70mm, etc) to get a lot more oomph for some sounds (explosions, etc.) in movie theaters. The idea was to dedicate a single channel, to be serviced by a dedicated subwoofer, to handle only these sounds (up to 150 Hz).

That's how we get mind numbing rumble or explosions from movies. This dedicated channel was meant to go 10 db higher than the other channels which topped off at 105 db; this means the high end of the LFE channel is 115 db.

To avoid overloading anything along the way, it was decided to make it the responsibility of the receiver to know ahead of time that the LFE channel is meant to be 10db higher than the other channels. This means that, although the LFE range is up to 115 db, it is actually delivered at the same levels as the other channels, or 105db tops to the receiver. It is up to the receiver to make that final 10 db boost once it sees that the signal is an LFE signal.

In the case of bitstream, that boost is handled automatically, which is why you see bitstreamed explosions sounding "right". In the case of PCM, that boost may not be happening unless you explicitly go in and tell the receiver that the LFE signal is coming in low. You can look at the LFE channel settings in the 1019 (or 919) - --> Audio Parameter --> LFE and see if changing the setting to -10db fixes the issue.

In some cases, the receiver may lower all signals by 5db to give itself more headroom, in which case the right setting may be -15db.

There's also some impact of these settings if you're playing SACD disks, but let's get to that later. Anyways, this is why I prefer bitstream if possible.

I did some more tests:
(1)LFE -10db setting in Audio Parameter: in my test, this setting seems to affect both bitstream and LPCM source. set it to -10db reduces the bass output for both bitstream and LPCM.
(2)After more A/B comparison, I kind of agree with G1Nger that it is due to the entire volume level difference (of all channels) between bitstream and LPCM. When input LPCM, the volume level of every channel (not just the LFE channel) is lower, after I turn up the main volume by about 5db, it sounds the same as bitstream source.
post #1557 of 5172 Old 10-08-2009, 10:08 AM

Hey guys, I recently purchased a panny 54 V10, ps3 slim and a vsx 1019 with 7.1 speakers. I tried the bitstream and pcm settings and def found the bitstream louder. I also found that if I pause or fast forward a scene, I lose the audio and have to pause it again a few times to get the bitsream sound back. If I leave it on pcm there is no problem. Was just wondering if you guys ever came across this... Thanks
post #1558 of 5172 Old 10-08-2009, 10:33 AM

Liked: 13
Hi guys, I'm new to this thread.

I've pretty close to deciding on a new receiver and I've narrowed down to the Pioneer 1019 and the HK AVR 2600. Has anyone compared these receivers? They look very similar in terms of features. I've enjoyed the HK sound in the past but I've never heard a Pioneer before.

Also, I'm interested in hearing about any experiences with using auto lip sync with the 1019. I just changed from a plasma to LCD tv and the input lag on my PS3 Blu-ray caused lip sync errors (because my old receiver can't handle HDMI, I had to use an optical cable). Does the 1019 have auto lip sync? And does it work well with HDMI 1.3 devices?

Thanks guys.
post #1559 of 5172 Old 10-08-2009, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarsofwei View Post

Hi guys, I'm new to this thread.

I've pretty close to deciding on a new receiver and I've narrowed down to the Pioneer 1019 and the HK AVR 2600. Has anyone compared these receivers? They look very similar in terms of features. I've enjoyed the HK sound in the past but I've never heard a Pioneer before.

Also, I'm interested in hearing about any experiences with using auto lip sync with the 1019. I just changed from a plasma to LCD tv and the input lag on my PS3 Blu-ray caused lip sync errors (because my old receiver can't handle HDMI, I had to use an optical cable). Does the 1019 have auto lip sync? And does it work well with HDMI 1.3 devices?

Thanks guys.

I'm a newbie here and not an audiophile... with that caveat, I've found the sound on the 1019 to be great. CDs, MP3s, Cable music and movies all sound very good and I only have a 5.1 setup (using the other two speaker connections for my patio Zone2).

I can't comment on the lip-sync correction. I believe there is a way to manually adjust but I have never used it.

HDMI works fine for me... although there are several posts in this thread where others are having problems. I think most of the problems seem to be related to the control functions. In my setup I turn off the 1019 Kuro feature and the Anynet (??) feature on my Samsung plasma and BD player... and control all the input selections thru Harmony One remote.
post #1560 of 5172 Old 10-08-2009, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfleming View Post

2. Unable to simultaneously broadcast DVR input on 2nd TV over Multi-Zone 2. I know my composite video and audio lines to the 2nd work as the VIP-622 DVR supports multi-room capabilities and it is functional from the 622. I have plugged the composite video and audio cables to the ZONE2 OUT ports on the back of the receiver turned ZONE 2 on and set the input selector to DVR for ZONE 2, but there is no audio or video signal sent to the 2nd TV.

I have a similar issue with my setup. 1019 is in family room. Zone2 is configured and plays audio only on patio speakers. I can watch TV, DVD or BD and play audio on Zone2 from Tuner or iPod inputs. I can't get the audio from TV, DVD or BD inputs to work in Zone2

Cable DVR to 1019 connection is composite + digital Coax
DVD to 1019 connection is composite + digital optical
BD to 1019 connection is HDMI

Any suggestions?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page