The "Official" Pioneer VSX-1019AH Owner's Thread - Page 53 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1561 of 5165 Old 10-08-2009, 02:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am having a issue with my harmony 550 and my 919ah getting the right hdmi input. I have all 3 hdmi inputs used. When I hit the button for a HDMI device, it never gets the right one. I have my Satellite set for like 1, xbox 2, ps3 BD. It never gets them right. It turns the devices on right and everything. But the HDMI inputs are all over the place. I checked my harmony software config, it is correct. IS this something I am going to have to live with?? can I program my harmony button like 1 to a macro to cycle hdmi, that would be less painful??? any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1562 of 5165 Old 10-08-2009, 02:10 PM

To boost my LFE by 10, for PS3. Should I have it set to what, -10 db?? it's confusing me cause the - seems like it would take the bass out???
post #1563 of 5165 Old 10-08-2009, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighairnee7 View Post

I am having a issue with my harmony 550 and my 919ah getting the right hdmi input. I have all 3 hdmi inputs used. When I hit the button for a HDMI device, it never gets the right one. I have my Satellite set for like 1, xbox 2, ps3 BD. It never gets them right. It turns the devices on right and everything. But the HDMI inputs are all over the place. I checked my harmony software config, it is correct. IS this something I am going to have to live with?? can I program my harmony button like 1 to a macro to cycle hdmi, that would be less painful??? any suggestions?

Did you turn off KURO Link on your 919?
post #1564 of 5165 Old 10-08-2009, 05:12 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

To boost my LFE by 10, for PS3. Should I have it set to what, -10 db?? it's confusing me cause the - seems like it would take the bass out???

Bighairnee7,
As I said in a couple of posts back, I have tried it and concluded that -10db setting was not the way to boost bass. it took bass away instead as you thought.

Good to see you are still here, does it mean you still haven't sold your 919 for other brand? That is good. About how to adjust MCACC to make the 919 sound fuller and less bright, I am in the process of summarizing what I have found so far and will post them here as soon as I get it done, just be a bit patient. So did you have any progress in trying to calm down the brightness in your system?
post #1565 of 5165 Old 10-08-2009, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdigger View Post

Bighairnee7,
As I said in a couple of posts back, I have tried it and concluded that -10db setting was not the way to boost bass. it took bass away instead as you thought.

Good to see you are still here, does it mean you still haven't sold your 919 for other brand? That is good. About how to adjust MCACC to make the 919 sound fuller and less bright, I am in the process of summarizing what I have found so far and will post them here as soon as I get it done, just be a bit patient. So did you have any progress in trying to calm down the brightness in your system?

No because the sacrifices I made to calm the brightness resulted in less clarity. But I have gotten a litte improvement. I will would really like to see you summarize your settings!! I think ALOT of people would like to see this. The time it takes you will be appreciated, even if it just makes minor improvements.
post #1566 of 5165 Old 10-09-2009, 01:52 PM

So I am looking to upgrade my current upstairs set-up and am looking at using this receiver or the 919 with the monoprice 4x2 hdmi switch for this set up:

(All in via 3-6ft HDMI cables)
In 1: Tivo HD
In 2: Sony BDP-S350 Blu Ray
In 3: Home Theater Computer (for music, video, games)
In 4: PS3 or Xbox 360 (Depending on which system is featured in the living room)

Out 1: Pioneer VSX-1019AH-K or VSX- 919AH-K with 5.1 setup (Depending on which one I find a good deal on first) ----> this will then go out from the receiver to my Samsung PN50A550 via 25 ft HDMI
Out 2: Samsung 2333SW LCD Monitor via 25 ft HDMI to DVI cable

The LCD is mounted above the plasma as an extra screen for the main room (i.e. video game or watch mlb.tv through the computer/LCD or and still have regular TV/movie on the plasma).

I'm looking to put all the components in a closet/cabinet with an RF remote and run the HDMI and the HDMI to DVI cables hidden to the TV and LCD. I will then have 5.1 sound for anything going to the TV. I can use the mutli-zone stereo output with the receiver if for example we have a football game on the big TV through the TIVO but want to listen to music from the computer on the speakers.

It looks like to me that either the 919 or 1019 will work great for this but wanted to check with the "owners" thread to make sure I'm understanding their capabilities. A major reason I am looking at both of them is the reviews of great sound quality and the mutli-room ability to play stereo sound from a different source at the same time the receiver is sending HDMI. Are either one of the pioneers good for this set up?

I posted a very similar post in the A/V connections thread about a potential problem with the monoprice 4x2 matrix only having the ability to transmit the lowest common denominator out the two outputs. Not sure how that will work with the LCD being video only/no sound.

I am also open to any suggestions anyone else would have for this set up too. This was the best way I could think of to accomplish what I am trying to do but am still learning. I have not bought the receiver yet so if there is a better option than the either of the Pioneers in same price range I am all ears as well.

Thanks!
post #1567 of 5165 Old 10-09-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:

No because the sacrifices I made to calm the brightness resulted in less clarity. But I have gotten a litte improvement. I will would really like to see you summarize your settings!! I think ALOT of people would like to see this. The time it takes you will be appreciated, even if it just makes minor improvements.

One of the complaints (for some people) for Pioneer is that it sounds a bit thin and a bit bright (as compared to Denon). And a few guys asked me about how to set the Pioneer to make it sound fuller and less bright (ie, more like Denon sound), especially under low volume. OK, here are some of the settings you can try. Be prepare to have fun tweaking.

(1)First, please know that the way Pioneer (MCACC) and Denon (Audyssey and Dynamic EQ) tune to make sound to carry their brand sound characteristics are 3 areas: (a) Freq response (b)Space: surround channels timing and balance (c)Low Freq tuning for room acoustic fix. So to make them sound similar, these areas are the ones you should adjust.

(2)Eq: I have compared Denon Audyssey and Pio MCACC Eq settings for my living room. Major differences are in two bands: (a)125HZ: Denon setting is 6db hotter than Pioneer. Pioneer somehow decreases this frequency output significantly. I guess it is related to Pio's exclusive standing wave reduction technology. (b)8K Hz band: Pioneer is a few db hotter than Denon. I think the Eq difference is one of the reason why Pioneer usually sound a bit bright and thin than Denon. So if you like fuller or less bright sound, increase 125Hz band a few db and reduce 8K Hz band a few DB. Another slightly difference I notice is MCACC tends to also lower the 1k-2kHZ band a couple of DB than Denon, so you can try bump these mid range up a bit to see if you like it or not.

(3)Standing wave: Standing wave control is a big issue in Low Frequency room acoustic fix. As I said, Pio has advantage standing wave control, it makes the bass much tighter and less booming. I like it. But you need to know that "booming" and "full" are actually the same thing, to some extend. So while the standing wave control make the sound less booming, it also give somebody a feeling that the sound is less full (ie, thin). The pioneer did a good job in eliminating standing wave boom, but in some situation it can be overdone. Plus, some people may have already get used to booming (or full) sound because they don't have this standing wave control before. If you prefer slightly "fuller" sound, you can simply increase the 125Hz a few db as I said above, or more precisely, go to the manual MCACC-standing wave adjust, and reduce the 3 filters a few db. Also, the standing wave measurement is quite sensitive to the location where the microphone puts, so try with a few different locations. But first thing, to see if it is due to the standing wave effect, you can simply switch off/on the standing wave control in the Audio Option setting to see which you like.

(4)Reverb setting in Adv EQ Prof: First check the Reverb measurement result of your room. If your room's reverb is like the one showing in the manual (ie, high freq flat and low freq more slope), then if you want more full and less bright sound, you should set the reverb time position to small number (ie, 30-50ms, or even 10-20ms) and redo the MCACC. On the other hand, if your room's reverb is opposite to the one showing in the manual (ie, low freq flat and high freq more slope), then you should use large number for time position (or just use the original MCACC setting, no need to rerun).

(5)Surrounding channel: One of the things Denon DynamicEQ does in low volume is to increase the surrounding channel level a few db (including Subwoofer channel). You can do the same thing here with Pioneer.

(6)Turn off the Sound Retriever (in Audio Option) if you don't like bright sound.

See, this is exactly why I like Pioneer, I can tweak the sound to whatever I like.
post #1568 of 5165 Old 10-10-2009, 03:00 AM

Thanks for the information very helpful indeed.

I do have a further question, is it possible to display the Input on the 1019 rather than the audio setting being used. Al my previous recievers have given you the choice but I can't seem to adjust the 1019. Is there something blatantly obvious that I am missing.

Thanks!
post #1569 of 5165 Old 10-10-2009, 05:21 AM

Liked: 12
Hi everyone it`s been awhile.I subscribe to home theater mag.they tested the 1019 in the october issue.They gave a positive review overall.The power ratings for 5 channels driven at 8 ohm load were 0.1% distortion 28.7 watts.At 1.0 % 34.3 watts. These ratings were for 5 channels, with a 6.1 or 7.1 system the power would be even less,seems like hk is the only one who rates their power output honestly.One thing i found out the other day is that each mcacc preset can have it`s own channel level setting, learn something new each day.Regards.
post #1570 of 5165 Old 10-10-2009, 06:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiny0011 View Post

Hi everyone it`s been awhile.I subscribe to home theater mag.they tested the 1019 in the october issue.They gave a positive review overall.The power ratings for 5 channels driven at 8 ohm load were 0.1% distortion 28.7 watts.At 1.0 % 34.3 watts. These ratings were for 5 channels, with a 6.1 or 7.1 system the power would be even less,seems like hk is the only one who rates their power output honestly.One thing i found out the other day is that each mcacc preset can have it`s own channel level setting, learn something new each day.Regards.

I may be wrong (being a noob) but do receivers output power in all channels simultaneously? I thought that for movies, its the fronts and center that are primarily in use with the sub and surrounds kicking in as needed? I don't know about music.

Denon X4000: Yamaha AS500;TS500;CDS300: Pioneer BDP62FD;BDP23FD;DV58AV;DV610: Panasonic DMP-BDT500; Sony BDP-S790; Samsung PS60E6500
post #1571 of 5165 Old 10-10-2009, 11:53 AM

All channel driven power ratings are important,because they tell you the power reserves of the amplifier section.The higher the reserve power the better the avr will produce loud passages(bass, explosions) without being pushed into distortion.It seems like all manufactures are cutting back on their amp sections,yamaha in particular.An easy way to check this is to look at the back panel of an avr and check it`s power consumption rating. The higher the rating the bigger the amp section.
post #1572 of 5165 Old 10-11-2009, 10:47 PM

Hi Guys,

Some great reading in here, although I'm now somewhat confused as to how I should set my system up.

I'll give you my sysem aand what I used.

Pio C509A Kuro -not sure of U.S equivalent
Pio 1019 Receiver
Pio BDP51FD Bluray
Klipsch F3 5.1 Speakers

All connected using high end HDMI and optical cables along with 14AWG speaker cable.

I set up everything and ran the MCACC, it told me to increase sub volume - which I did and re-ran the MCACC, after finishing the tests all was good.

However, I still find I'm having to increase the Sub (LFE) volume to benefit and get the feel of that cinema effect, for example viewing the lobby scene from the Matrix DVD, with the sound settings done by MCACC, it was loud but kind of hollow, upon turning up the LFE to my preferred setting and playing the scene again, it felt a lot more like the true cinema sound so to speak.

I guess it all comes down to personal preference.

Cheers
post #1573 of 5165 Old 10-12-2009, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdigger View Post

One of the complaints (for some people) for Pioneer is that it sounds a bit thin and a bit bright (as compared to Denon). And a few guys asked me about how to set the Pioneer to make it sound fuller and less bright (ie, more like Denon sound), especially under low volume. OK, here are some of the settings you can try. Be prepare to have fun tweaking.

(1)First, please know that the way Pioneer (MCACC) and Denon (Audyssey and Dynamic EQ) tune to make sound to carry their brand sound characteristics are 3 areas: (a) Freq response (b)Space: surround channels timing and balance (c)Low Freq tuning for room acoustic fix. So to make them sound similar, these areas are the ones you should adjust.

(2)Eq: I have compared Denon Audyssey and Pio MCACC Eq settings for my living room. Major differences are in two bands: (a)125HZ: Denon setting is 6db hotter than Pioneer. Pioneer somehow decreases this frequency output significantly. I guess it is related to Pio's exclusive standing wave reduction technology. (b)8K Hz band: Pioneer is a few db hotter than Denon. I think the Eq difference is one of the reason why Pioneer usually sound a bit bright and thin than Denon. So if you like fuller or less bright sound, increase 125Hz band a few db and reduce 8K Hz band a few DB. Another slightly difference I notice is MCACC tends to also lower the 1k-2kHZ band a couple of DB than Denon, so you can try bump these mid range up a bit to see if you like it or not.

(3)Standing wave: Standing wave control is a big issue in Low Frequency room acoustic fix. As I said, Pio has advantage standing wave control, it makes the bass much tighter and less booming. I like it. But you need to know that "booming" and "full" are actually the same thing, to some extend. So while the standing wave control make the sound less booming, it also give somebody a feeling that the sound is less full (ie, thin). The pioneer did a good job in eliminating standing wave boom, but in some situation it can be overdone. Plus, some people may have already get used to booming (or full) sound because they don't have this standing wave control before. If you prefer slightly "fuller" sound, you can simply increase the 125Hz a few db as I said above, or more precisely, go to the manual MCACC-standing wave adjust, and reduce the 3 filters a few db. Also, the standing wave measurement is quite sensitive to the location where the microphone puts, so try with a few different locations. But first thing, to see if it is due to the standing wave effect, you can simply switch off/on the standing wave control in the Audio Option setting to see which you like.

(4)Reverb setting in Adv EQ Prof: First check the Reverb measurement result of your room. If your room's reverb is like the one showing in the manual (ie, high freq flat and low freq more slope), then if you want more full and less bright sound, you should set the reverb time position to small number (ie, 30-50ms, or even 10-20ms) and redo the MCACC. On the other hand, if your room's reverb is opposite to the one showing in the manual (ie, low freq flat and high freq more slope), then you should use large number for time position (or just use the original MCACC setting, no need to rerun).

(5)Surrounding channel: One of the things Denon DynamicEQ does in low volume is to increase the surrounding channel level a few db (including Subwoofer channel). You can do the same thing here with Pioneer.

(6)Turn off the Sound Retriever (in Audio Option) if you don't like bright sound.

See, this is exactly why I like Pioneer, I can tweak the sound to whatever I like.

Great information avdigger, and many thanks for taking the time to tweak and compare the Pioneer and the Denon! If I ever get a chance to lock my cats up and re-run MCACC I'll take this advice to heart.
post #1574 of 5165 Old 10-12-2009, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsscolumbia View Post

Thanks for the information very helpful indeed.

I do have a further question, is it possible to display the Input on the 1019 rather than the audio setting being used. Al my previous recievers have given you the choice but I can't seem to adjust the 1019. Is there something blatantly obvious that I am missing.

Thanks!

Unfortunately no, there is no way to keep the input displayed rather than the surround format. This has been a minor gripe with owners of the current Pioneer lineup.

Unless someone somewhere knows a secret sub-sub-menu that we are missing?
post #1575 of 5165 Old 10-12-2009, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman D View Post

Hi Guys,

Some great reading in here, although I'm now somewhat confused as to how I should set my system up.

Pio 1019 Receiver
Pio BDP51FD Bluray
Klipsch F3 5.1 Speakers

All connected using high end HDMI and optical cables along with 14AWG speaker cable.

I set up everything and ran the MCACC, it told me to increase sub volume - which I did and re-ran the MCACC, after finishing the tests all was good.

However, I still find I'm having to increase the Sub (LFE) volume to benefit and get the feel of that cinema effect, for example viewing the lobby scene from the Matrix DVD, with the sound settings done by MCACC, it was loud but kind of hollow, upon turning up the LFE to my preferred setting and playing the scene again, it felt a lot more like the true cinema sound so to speak.

Cheers

Norman, it is very common for users to increase the LFE channel after running MCACC. If you are new to MCACC I highly recommend the Official MCACC Thread where you will find many very experienced and helpful folks who have themselves recommended increasing the LFE a bit after MCACC is run.
post #1576 of 5165 Old 10-12-2009, 05:46 AM
Advanced Member

Is there any means to connect wireless surround back speakers to the Pio 1019? My room layout will not permit full 7:1 unless I use wireless speakers for the surround rears.

Denon X4000: Yamaha AS500;TS500;CDS300: Pioneer BDP62FD;BDP23FD;DV58AV;DV610: Panasonic DMP-BDT500; Sony BDP-S790; Samsung PS60E6500
post #1577 of 5165 Old 10-12-2009, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman D View Post

Hi Guys,

Pio 1019 Receiver
Pio BDP51FD Bluray
Klipsch F3 5.1 Speakers

Cheers

Are you talking about LFE Attenuate settings?
post #1578 of 5165 Old 10-12-2009, 09:30 PM

I just bought this receiver the other day and finally had a chance to hook it up today. First I want to say that I was a little nervous about what it was going to be like because of all the complaints about lack of "oomph" and too much brightness. I figured that if it was really bad, I could return it in 30 days and try something else.

Now that I have it hooked up and have calibrated and tweaked it some I have to say that I really love it!! I ran the MCACC and really only changed one thing. It set my
x-over to 80 and I set it to 100. I am running all Klipsch speakers. I have F3 mains, C3 center, and s1 surrounds with a sub 12. One thing that surprised me was that MCACC set all my speakers to small except my two mains to large. I always heard to set them all to small. So I tried just those two at large and loved the sound. When I set it back to small, it seemed to loose a little bit of that extra fullness. I am not sure if it really had that much of an effect or if I am just hearing things, but it sounds so much better with just the two mains set to large. Between that and the increase in x-over, that is all I really felt I had to do. I am loving the sound I am getting from this receiver!

For such a small package, this thing really packs a lot of features and great sound. I really don't have anything negative to say about it. I just wanted to post this here incase anyone else was looking at this thread and had some of the same concerns I had. I will post again if I end up changing my mind after a little more time to hear what this thing can do.
post #1579 of 5165 Old 10-13-2009, 08:56 AM

Quote:

For 3 days I have dutifully read all 50+ pages of this thread. I have tried all relevant suggestions and cannot correct the issue you detail. It took a great deal of effort to get this far but, for me, this is the deal killer. I worked through the HDMI control issues and eventually turned all off. My 1019 will not receive the audio portion of HDMI from my EXPRESSVU 9200 PVR which, with same cable, drives my Sammy LCD just fine. I have placed an optical cable to carry the audio signal and enabled the OPT1 input. I don't like it, but it works. I have tried every possible order of device switching and delays but I cannot get my Harmony 688 to switch the 1019 inputs correctly. If I turn all off when watching TV then it turns on to the same input ok. If I am listening to the tuner and try to switch to TV viewing, the input will not change from tuner to TV/SAT or HDMI1, 2 or 3. It does not help to turn all off and try again. I have to use my PIO remote to switch it back. HELP doesn't! There is no doubt in my mind that this is a Harmony issue. The PIO remote has no such difficulty so it must surely be IR code related. I have made a support request to Logitech and await their response. The warden can not survive without the Harmony. TWO remotes are TOO many. Either this get resolved or FutureShop will have an open box for sale. (Waterloo folks let me know if you are looking for a price cut - from our awful MSRP $699 - I'll let you know when it is going back)
post #1580 of 5165 Old 10-13-2009, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_zimer View Post

For 3 days I have dutifully read all 50+ pages of this thread...

This won't help you nor bighairnee7, but my 919 controls inputs perfectly well with my harmony 550. I take that back, I do have the issue of the 919 not receiving 'power on' commands but I think that is due to IR interference with my Panasonic plasma. Setting the 919 to power up first seems to have remedied that.

What happens if you go into the device menu for the 1019 on the harmony (after selecting an activity that didn't change inputs) and pick the appropriate input? Does it switch correctly? I'm still learning the harmony but I recall there being a wizard devoted to how your device switches inputs: discreet buttons on the remote, one button then scrolling through a list, etc. Have you played with this? I know I've seen it for TV control, but not sure it exists for AVR.

-Scott
post #1581 of 5165 Old 10-13-2009, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skotx View Post

This won't help you nor bighairnee7, but my 919 controls inputs perfectly well with my harmony 550. I take that back, I do have the issue of the 919 not receiving 'power on' commands but I think that is due to IR interference with my Panasonic plasma. Setting the 919 to power up first seems to have remedied that.

What happens if you go into the device menu for the 1019 on the harmony (after selecting an activity that didn't change inputs) and pick the appropriate input? Does it switch correctly? I'm still learning the harmony but I recall there being a wizard devoted to how your device switches inputs: discreet buttons on the remote, one button then scrolling through a list, etc. Have you played with this? I know I've seen it for TV control, but not sure it exists for AVR.

-Scott

Hi Scott. I am just discovering that the Harmony WILL switch from TUNER to BD and back with no issues. It just won't select TV/SAT. I haven't yet set up the MAC Mini so i am unable to test that jump. I wonder if the code for InputSelect TV/SAT in Harmony's database is incorrect. I will try shortly to record that input alone to a hard button and see if it will work. I believe I can also try to "learn" the code from my PIO remote.
... so much work, so little time
post #1582 of 5165 Old 10-13-2009, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:

For 3 days I have dutifully read all 50+ pages of this thread. I have tried all relevant suggestions and cannot correct the issue you detail. It took a great deal of effort to get this far but, for me, this is the deal killer. I worked through the HDMI control issues and eventually turned all off. My 1019 will not receive the audio portion of HDMI from my EXPRESSVU 9200 PVR which, with same cable, drives my Sammy LCD just fine. I have placed an optical cable to carry the audio signal and enabled the OPT1 input. I don't like it, but it works. I have tried every possible order of device switching and delays but I cannot get my Harmony 688 to switch the 1019 inputs correctly. If I turn all off when watching TV then it turns on to the same input ok. If I am listening to the tuner and try to switch to TV viewing, the input will not change from tuner to TV/SAT or HDMI1, 2 or 3. It does not help to turn all off and try again. I have to use my PIO remote to switch it back. HELP doesn't! There is no doubt in my mind that this is a Harmony issue. The PIO remote has no such difficulty so it must surely be IR code related. I have made a support request to Logitech and await their response. The warden can not survive without the Harmony. TWO remotes are TOO many. Either this get resolved or FutureShop will have an open box for sale. (Waterloo folks let me know if you are looking for a price cut - from our awful MSRP $699 - I'll let you know when it is going back)

Have you tried masking tape over the IR receive area of the 1019? You may be getting IR interference, causing your issues. put one, two or three layers on to see if you get better results (YMMV).

I have a Harmony 670, and it works fine.
post #1583 of 5165 Old 10-13-2009, 02:36 PM

Hello all...

new to the forum. Picked up the 1019 a few days ago, set-up everything, with the exception of my sub-woofer. The issue is that it's a fairly old Pioneer sub and only has regular speaker wire coming out of it. The input on the 1019 for the subwoofer seems to be a plug... and there doesn't seem to be a secondary speaker wire type input for a sub-woofer on this receiver... is there any way I can get some sort of converter type plug that will resolve this for me, or am I screwed and essentially need a new sub?
post #1584 of 5165 Old 10-13-2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebarciszewski View Post

Hello all...

.. is there any way I can get some sort of converter type plug that will resolve this for me, or am I screwed and essentially need a new sub?

It sounds like you might have a passive sub which requires pre-amp. The sub output you are looking at (RCA) is not pre-amped. I see no amped sub output here so I suspect you need a new (powered) sub.
post #1585 of 5165 Old 10-13-2009, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebarciszewski View Post

Hello all...

new to the forum. Picked up the 1019 a few days ago, set-up everything, with the exception of my sub-woofer. The issue is that it's a fairly old Pioneer sub and only has regular speaker wire coming out of it. The input on the 1019 for the subwoofer seems to be a plug... and there doesn't seem to be a secondary speaker wire type input for a sub-woofer on this receiver... is there any way I can get some sort of converter type plug that will resolve this for me, or am I screwed and essentially need a new sub?

Does the sub have L+R inputs AND outputs? Some passive subs are meant to connect to the L+R front speaker outputs on the amp, and then you hook your L+R front speakers to the sub. In essence you route your front speakers through the sub. In this situation, I'm assuming the 1019 will be smart enough to send the low-freq. content to the L+R fronts when it determines that there is no powered sub.
post #1586 of 5165 Old 10-13-2009, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post

Have you tried masking tape over the IR receive area of the 1019? You may be getting IR interference, causing your issues. put one, two or three layers on to see if you get better results (YMMV).

I have a Harmony 670, and it works fine.

Thanks for the suggestion hernanu. My unit is in a cabinet and shielded from all other units. Now I suppose that it still could see some "bounced" info so I will not disregard that idea but what is really interesting here is that SendInput TV/SAT is the only code (so far discovered) that does not work. All other input changes register ok. I have now tried the learn code feature from the PIO remote to the Harmony and it STILL is not recognized. I will try to borrow a newer Harmony - temporarily buy one - or maybe even try my now aged original Harmony (before Logitech bought them out).
post #1587 of 5165 Old 10-13-2009, 10:17 PM

Sometimes it's worth going back to the beginning. After programming my ancient Intrigue Technologies' Harmony SST-768 and having success with only one change, I decided to reprogram my 688 from square one. The change was to add a 2 second delay then, resend the InputSelect command code. If for nothing else than uniformity, I applied this delay and repeat to all input selecting actions. So far, so good.
I am left with one question. I can live with my work-around of using an optical connection to carry my audio from my Expressvu 9200 to the PIO 1019 but I would like to understand why. The salesman suggests my hdmi cables are not of sufficient quality (read cost) but I am dubious. He suggests older version cables will fail on audio in the new standard (as on the PIO 1019). I have cables from three different sources including Belkin and none provide success. I understand this is a point of much contention and would therefore appreciate the comments of the experienced users of this forum. Is a Monster cable really superior to a Belkin? Is it really worth a zillion dollars?
post #1588 of 5165 Old 10-13-2009, 11:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The salesman suggests my hdmi cables are not of sufficient quality (read cost) but I am dubious. He suggests older version cables will fail on audio in the new standard (as on the PIO 1019). I have cables from three different sources including Belkin and none provide success. I understand this is a point of much contention and would therefore appreciate the comments of the experienced users of this forum. Is a Monster cable really superior to a Belkin? Is it really worth a zillion dollars?

http://hometheaterreview.com/what-if...tually-worked/

"...you will be hard pressed to find an honest custom installer or quality AV retailer who won't tell you that HDMI is the number one headache facing them as they sell and install today's top performing home theater systems"

post #1589 of 5165 Old 10-14-2009, 05:05 AM

Quote:

... I am left with one question. I can live with my work-around of using an optical connection to carry my audio from my Expressvu 9200 to the PIO 1019 but I would like to understand why. The salesman suggests my hdmi cables are not of sufficient quality (read cost) but I am dubious. He suggests older version cables will fail on audio in the new standard (as on the PIO 1019). I have cables from three different sources including Belkin and none provide success. I understand this is a point of much contention and would therefore appreciate the comments of the experienced users of this forum. Is a Monster cable really superior to a Belkin? Is it really worth a zillion dollars?

I am not familiar with the Expressvu 9200, but set-top boxes are notoriously quirky when it comes to HDMI output, and until the standard for them is upgraded to allow 7.1 audio from the HDMI port you are just fine with your current setup. I suggest leaving it as-is, especially since you've tried numerous HDMI cables with no success.

Now for a public service announcement: Grab your HDMI cables (and any other cables/wires you may need, for that matter) from Monoprice.com or Blue Jeans Cable (both sponsors of AVS Forum). They are excellent quality, inexpensive, and relatively fast shipping. Please, please, please don't buy Monster cables or any other "high-end" HDMI cables, it only encourages them .
post #1590 of 5165 Old 10-14-2009, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vttom View Post

Does the sub have L+R inputs AND outputs? Some passive subs are meant to connect to the L+R front speaker outputs on the amp, and then you hook your L+R front speakers to the sub. In essence you route your front speakers through the sub. In this situation, I'm assuming the 1019 will be smart enough to send the low-freq. content to the L+R fronts when it determines that there is no powered sub.

This is probably the case, and when set up this way have your fronts set to Large in your 1019, and tell it there is no sub. There should also be a crossover knob on the subwoofer, and you use this crossover set point (rather than the internal crossover in the 1019) to determine which frequencies are sent to your sub and which are sent to your main speakers.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page