The "Official" Pioneer VSX-1019AH Owner's Thread - Page 54 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1591 of 5181 Old 10-14-2009, 05:50 AM
Advanced Member
 
vttom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Essex, VT
Posts: 555
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_zimer View Post

Sometimes it's worth going back to the beginning. After programming my ancient Intrigue Technologies' Harmony SST-768 and having success with only one change, I decided to reprogram my 688 from square one. The change was to add a 2 second delay then, resend the InputSelect command code. If for nothing else than uniformity, I applied this delay and repeat to all input selecting actions. So far, so good.
I am left with one question. I can live with my work-around of using an optical connection to carry my audio from my Expressvu 9200 to the PIO 1019 but I would like to understand why. The salesman suggests my hdmi cables are not of sufficient quality (read cost) but I am dubious. He suggests older version cables will fail on audio in the new standard (as on the PIO 1019). I have cables from three different sources including Belkin and none provide success. I understand this is a point of much contention and would therefore appreciate the comments of the experienced users of this forum. Is a Monster cable really superior to a Belkin? Is it really worth a zillion dollars?

I"m suddenly reminded of my experience at B*stB*y when I was shopping for a new recevier (which eventually led to my purchase of the 1019 from Am*z*n)....

I knew going in that I specifically wanted a receiver that would up-convert analog component video to HDMI. So I put that question to the sales guy on the floor: "Which of these units will upconvert component video to HDMI?". His reponse was "that's not posible, and even if it were, the output would not be true HDMI." That answer was wrong on so many levels. After hearing that, I just turned around and left, did my research online, and went with the 1019.
vttom is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1592 of 5181 Old 10-14-2009, 07:15 AM
Senior Member
 
bighairnee7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 295
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by avdigger View Post

One of the complaints (for some people) for Pioneer is that it sounds a bit thin and a bit bright (as compared to Denon). And a few guys asked me about how to set the Pioneer to make it sound fuller and less bright (ie, more like Denon sound), especially under low volume. OK, here are some of the settings you can try. Be prepare to have fun tweaking.

(1)First, please know that the way Pioneer (MCACC) and Denon (Audyssey and Dynamic EQ) tune to make sound to carry their brand sound characteristics are 3 areas: (a) Freq response (b)Space: surround channels timing and balance (c)Low Freq tuning for room acoustic fix. So to make them sound similar, these areas are the ones you should adjust.

(2)Eq: I have compared Denon Audyssey and Pio MCACC Eq settings for my living room. Major differences are in two bands: (a)125HZ: Denon setting is 6db hotter than Pioneer. Pioneer somehow decreases this frequency output significantly. I guess it is related to Pio's exclusive standing wave reduction technology. (b)8K Hz band: Pioneer is a few db hotter than Denon. I think the Eq difference is one of the reason why Pioneer usually sound a bit bright and thin than Denon. So if you like fuller or less bright sound, increase 125Hz band a few db and reduce 8K Hz band a few DB. Another slightly difference I notice is MCACC tends to also lower the 1k-2kHZ band a couple of DB than Denon, so you can try bump these mid range up a bit to see if you like it or not.

(3)Standing wave: Standing wave control is a big issue in Low Frequency room acoustic fix. As I said, Pio has advantage standing wave control, it makes the bass much tighter and less booming. I like it. But you need to know that "booming" and "full" are actually the same thing, to some extend. So while the standing wave control make the sound less booming, it also give somebody a feeling that the sound is less full (ie, thin). The pioneer did a good job in eliminating standing wave boom, but in some situation it can be overdone. Plus, some people may have already get used to booming (or full) sound because they don't have this standing wave control before. If you prefer slightly "fuller" sound, you can simply increase the 125Hz a few db as I said above, or more precisely, go to the manual MCACC-standing wave adjust, and reduce the 3 filters a few db. Also, the standing wave measurement is quite sensitive to the location where the microphone puts, so try with a few different locations. But first thing, to see if it is due to the standing wave effect, you can simply switch off/on the standing wave control in the Audio Option setting to see which you like.

(4)Reverb setting in Adv EQ Prof: First check the Reverb measurement result of your room. If your room's reverb is like the one showing in the manual (ie, high freq flat and low freq more slope), then if you want more full and less bright sound, you should set the reverb time position to small number (ie, 30-50ms, or even 10-20ms) and redo the MCACC. On the other hand, if your room's reverb is opposite to the one showing in the manual (ie, low freq flat and high freq more slope), then you should use large number for time position (or just use the original MCACC setting, no need to rerun).

(5)Surrounding channel: One of the things Denon DynamicEQ does in low volume is to increase the surrounding channel level a few db (including Subwoofer channel). You can do the same thing here with Pioneer.

(6)Turn off the Sound Retriever (in Audio Option) if you don't like bright sound.

See, this is exactly why I like Pioneer, I can tweak the sound to whatever I like.

I just got a chance to read this. I'm at work. Thanks for all the info, alot of good info in there I did not know before. I have been sick with nasty strep infection for past 10 days (YUK). But I will have to check this out.
bighairnee7 is offline  
post #1593 of 5181 Old 10-14-2009, 10:54 AM
Member
 
Ctrl@ltDel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by avdigger View Post

One of the complaints (for some people) for Pioneer is that it sounds a bit thin and a bit bright (as compared to Denon). And a few guys asked me about how to set the Pioneer to make it sound fuller and less bright (ie, more like Denon sound), especially under low volume. OK, here are some of the settings you can try. Be prepare to have fun tweaking.

(1)First, please know that the way Pioneer (MCACC) and Denon (Audyssey and Dynamic EQ) tune to make sound to carry their brand sound characteristics are 3 areas: (a) Freq response (b)Space: surround channels timing and balance (c)Low Freq tuning for room acoustic fix. So to make them sound similar, these areas are the ones you should adjust.

(2)Eq: I have compared Denon Audyssey and Pio MCACC Eq settings for my living room. Major differences are in two bands: (a)125HZ: Denon setting is 6db hotter than Pioneer. Pioneer somehow decreases this frequency output significantly. I guess it is related to Pio's exclusive standing wave reduction technology. (b)8K Hz band: Pioneer is a few db hotter than Denon. I think the Eq difference is one of the reason why Pioneer usually sound a bit bright and thin than Denon. So if you like fuller or less bright sound, increase 125Hz band a few db and reduce 8K Hz band a few DB. Another slightly difference I notice is MCACC tends to also lower the 1k-2kHZ band a couple of DB than Denon, so you can try bump these mid range up a bit to see if you like it or not.

(3)Standing wave: Standing wave control is a big issue in Low Frequency room acoustic fix. As I said, Pio has advantage standing wave control, it makes the bass much tighter and less booming. I like it. But you need to know that "booming" and "full" are actually the same thing, to some extend. So while the standing wave control make the sound less booming, it also give somebody a feeling that the sound is less full (ie, thin). The pioneer did a good job in eliminating standing wave boom, but in some situation it can be overdone. Plus, some people may have already get used to booming (or full) sound because they don't have this standing wave control before. If you prefer slightly "fuller" sound, you can simply increase the 125Hz a few db as I said above, or more precisely, go to the manual MCACC-standing wave adjust, and reduce the 3 filters a few db. Also, the standing wave measurement is quite sensitive to the location where the microphone puts, so try with a few different locations. But first thing, to see if it is due to the standing wave effect, you can simply switch off/on the standing wave control in the Audio Option setting to see which you like.

(4)Reverb setting in Adv EQ Prof: First check the Reverb measurement result of your room. If your room's reverb is like the one showing in the manual (ie, high freq flat and low freq more slope), then if you want more full and less bright sound, you should set the reverb time position to small number (ie, 30-50ms, or even 10-20ms) and redo the MCACC. On the other hand, if your room's reverb is opposite to the one showing in the manual (ie, low freq flat and high freq more slope), then you should use large number for time position (or just use the original MCACC setting, no need to rerun).

(5)Surrounding channel: One of the things Denon DynamicEQ does in low volume is to increase the surrounding channel level a few db (including Subwoofer channel). You can do the same thing here with Pioneer.

(6)Turn off the Sound Retriever (in Audio Option) if you don't like bright sound.

See, this is exactly why I like Pioneer, I can tweak the sound to whatever I like.

WOW! Thanks for taking the time to explain this! I am going to tweak mine this week and see how it goes!
Ctrl@ltDel is offline  
post #1594 of 5181 Old 10-14-2009, 12:34 PM
Newbie
 
al_zimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Waterloo,ON
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vttom View Post

I"m suddenly reminded of my experience at B*stB*y when I was shopping for a new recevier (which eventually led to my purchase of the 1019 from Am*z*n)....

I knew going in that I specifically wanted a receiver that would up-convert analog component video to HDMI. So I put that question to the sales guy on the floor: "Which of these units will upconvert component video to HDMI?". His reponse was "that's not posible, and even if it were, the output would not be true HDMI." That answer was wrong on so many levels. After hearing that, I just turned around and left, did my research online, and went with the 1019.

Unfortunately, this guy is the one I go to for his knowledge of the products and he usually steers me right. It may be that a slow sales period got him rolling because he tried to tell me what difference it made to an amplifier to have the a/c input as a disconnect at the backplane rather than being hardwired. I had never heard him shoot crap before and he lost credibility. Now for the surprise. I will have to give him part marks for saying that the issue sounded like a bad HDMI cable. He offered that Rocketfish (their product I believe) was crap. He was right here. The Rocketfish cable was unable to carry the audio. I swapped for the Belkin going to the LCD as it does not need to carry audio and back came my audio from the Expressvu 9200 to the 1019. I thought that I had tried that before and that brings out the best advice for trouble-shooting - keep accurate notes of everything you try.
I am, at last, a happy PIONEER 1019 owner. I am also very impressed with the quality of advice I have found in this thread. I am thinking that if such knowledgeable people chose this device then my choice must have been ok.
Cheers to all.
al_zimer is offline  
post #1595 of 5181 Old 10-14-2009, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
CruelInventions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 4,543
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by avdigger View Post

OK, here are some of the settings you can try. Be prepare to have fun tweaking.

Interesting contribution, thanks for sharing.

You might want to consider re-posting this in the official MCACC thread. At least, I'd be curious to see what, if any, comments are generated there with respect to your adjustments.

Most of the Pioneer MCACC receivers operate similarly, and often exactly the same, so bouncing it off of some of the more experienced MCACC users might bring enlightening assessments of your results, whether they be confirming or perhaps even challenging.

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
CruelInventions is offline  
post #1596 of 5181 Old 10-14-2009, 11:32 PM
Senior Member
 
jarsofwei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: San Carlos, CA
Posts: 234
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi folks,

New to this thread. Just got my 1019 today and I'm really enjoying. The only one thing that's bugging me is that when I change channels, pause, fast forward or anything with my comcast DVR (through HDMI), it takes the receiver a second or two to pick up the audio again. This is kind of silly, as it keeps auto-detecting the source.

Has anyone run into this problem? Anyone know how to resolve this?

Don't have many complaints about it other than that.

Cheers,
Wei
jarsofwei is offline  
post #1597 of 5181 Old 10-15-2009, 07:00 AM
Newbie
 
svetisava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First hello to everyone! I am Pioneer 919 owner, played a little with mcacc, and after reading avdigger's post, I have one question (for now ).

Let me quote part of avdigger's post:
(4)Reverb setting in Adv EQ Prof: First check the Reverb measurement result of your room. If your room's reverb is like the one showing in the manual (ie, high freq flat and low freq more slope), then if you want more full and less bright sound, you should set the reverb time position to small number (ie, 30-50ms, or even 10-20ms) and redo the MCACC. On the other hand, if your room's reverb is opposite to the one showing in the manual (ie, low freq flat and high freq more slope), then you should use large number for time position (or just use the original MCACC setting, no need to rerun).

What I want to ask is what exactly does Reverb measurement do and what settings does it change? Only EQ settings or some other stuff also?

Thanks in advance
Milos
svetisava is offline  
post #1598 of 5181 Old 10-15-2009, 07:32 AM
Newbie
 
al_zimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Waterloo,ON
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Now I'm confused again. When I replaced my source HDMI cable, my audio returned ... until the warden selected an SD channel on the 9200. Thinking that it might only send audio via HDMI for Hi-def channels, I was about to put my optical connection back in place when I decided to experiment a little more. I played with the Dolby Digital / PCM settings in the Expressvu receiver to no avail. Then, getting ready to replace the optical link, I switched the 1019 input selection to add OPT1 and audio returned - without the link!!
HUH ?
al_zimer is offline  
post #1599 of 5181 Old 10-15-2009, 01:01 PM
Newbie
 
agntorange21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello All, I just received my 1019AH-K a few weeks back and being that this is my first AVR, I am new to all of the lingo and the abbreviation and what not so please bare with me. I currently have a 5.1 setup with the Energy Take Classic speakers. I have a Sony XBR6, PS3, xb360 and scientific Atlanta STB. I have 2 questions that I can't seem to find an answer for, hopefully one of the fine folks here might be able to help.
1. My Surround Left and Right speakers seem low. Can someone walk me through how to make these speakers louder? In laymen terms preferably. I too have the issue of not getting great sound until -2x or so, but even at that level, the surround left and right are not keeping up

2. For some reason I cannot get my XB360 to work through my receiver, both audio and video. I have the component hook up, not HDMI and I bought an optical audio cable but that doesn't seem to work either. I have tried hooking up both the audio and video to the receiver and assigning it to an input. Once I select that input, I do not get audio or video. Next, I hooked up the 360 to my TV for video and used an optical from my 360 to the receiver for audio. I assigned it to an input, selected that input and again, nothing. I must be doing something wrong. Did I forget to select something, am I an idiot? Both? Thanks again for your help!!!
agntorange21 is offline  
post #1600 of 5181 Old 10-15-2009, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Oklahoma Wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Eastend, SK, Canada
Posts: 1,748
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by agntorange21 View Post

1. My Surround Left and Right speakers seem low. Can someone walk me through how to make these speakers louder? In laymen terms preferably. I too have the issue of not getting great sound until -2x or so, but even at that level, the surround left and right are not keeping up

Have you run MCACC yet? If so, and you want to boost the surrounds a bit, hit the receiver button down at the bottom of the remote and then hit 0 (Ch. Level). Then, you can use the cursor buttons to step through and change the settings on each channel as you desire.

On my 919, I ended up adding 1dB to my surround back settings and 0.5dB to the surrounds to get it where I like it. I also added some 5dB to the LFE. This is after MCACC got done with it.

Receiver button and the 4 button selects the audio input between optical, coax, and standard audio inputs (I think) - see if that gets the 360 working. You may need to go into the menu and assign the proper audio input yet.
Oklahoma Wolf is offline  
post #1601 of 5181 Old 10-15-2009, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
CT_Wiebe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 6,437
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
jarsofwei -- What you said describes the HDMI "hand-shaking" between your Comcast box and your 1019 (or TV set), whenever you change chanels. If your Comcast box has an option for setting its output resolution, it's probably set to "Auto". If you change it to force the output to be 1080i (assuming you have HD & digital service), this will reduce, or eliminate, the continual "hand-shaking" when making changes.

I had a similar problem with my DirecTV DVR (even going directly to my TV set), and that is exactly what I did. In my case, my DVR does a good job of upscaling SD and lower resolution (720p) HD material, so I didn't get any other problems. However, if your Comcast box doesn't do a good job (and a lot of cable boxes don't), then you will be forced to put up with those "hand-shaking" delays. It's a problem in the TV tuner and is not due to your AVR.

- Claus {non-Santa model}
CT_Wiebe is offline  
post #1602 of 5181 Old 10-15-2009, 03:01 PM
Member
 
skoretsk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I tried doing exactly that (set output resolution to 1080i, the highest it could go) on my Time Warner SA8300HDC DVR box connected HDMI to my 1019 receiver (which is HDMI connected to my HDTV). But the 8300 box would re-select all the other output resolutions (480, 720, etc) on it's own! Time Warner said it was a 1019 problem.

Interesting thing...when I direct connect the Time Warner 8300 box to my HDTV the 8300 maintains the 1080i only output resolution I set it to.


Pioneer says it's a Time Warner box problem, but that I could take my 1019 to a Pioneer authorized service center to have it checked out.

Question: Who do I believe (8300 problem? 1019 problem?). At the moment I believe neither...:-((
skoretsk is offline  
post #1603 of 5181 Old 10-15-2009, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
CT_Wiebe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 6,437
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
skoretsk -- On my DirecTV box, I got better results by de-selecting all resolutions except 1080i (set so that it "thought" that the only resolution that was acceptable was the 1080i). Otherwise, it would (sometimes) try to go to a lower resolution.

I think that the problem is in the TW 8300 box, but is due to the fact that the 1019 doesn't echo a fixed resolution, for the video signal, back to the source (like a HDTV set would). Some cable boxes are kind of "flakey" in that regard.

- Claus {non-Santa model}
CT_Wiebe is offline  
post #1604 of 5181 Old 10-15-2009, 03:26 PM
Member
 
skoretsk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
That's exactly what I've tried to do, but the 8300 re-sets output resolutions to all of them. Time Warner says it's the 1019 receiver that's causing this, but I don't believe them. And this is the 3rd 8300 box I've had in the last 4 months, and it's happened with all of them.
skoretsk is offline  
post #1605 of 5181 Old 10-15-2009, 03:47 PM
Senior Member
 
jarsofwei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: San Carlos, CA
Posts: 234
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
CT - Yeah, I'm fairly certain that I have my receiver forced to 1080i, as my TV doesn't switch resolutions when I move to SD channels. This also happens when I pause and rewind on the DVR. It seems like the AVR tries to auto-detect the signal type whenever the sound is off. I'm wondering if the Motorola box is actually cutting off the audio signal whenever I pause/rewind/etc. Anyway, I'll double check that setting when I get home tonight, but I think it might be something else.

Is there any way to adjust the sensitivity of the AVR so that it's looser about auto-detecing signals? I never had this issue with my old receiver before, but I wasn't using HDMI in the past. So yeah, a handshaking issue sounds likely.. Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Wiebe View Post

jarsofwei -- What you said describes the HDMI "hand-shaking" between your Comcast box and your 1019 (or TV set), whenever you change chanels. If your Comcast box has an option for setting its output resolution, it's probably set to "Auto". If you change it to force the output to be 1080i (assuming you have HD & digital service), this will reduce, or eliminate, the continual "hand-shaking" when making changes.

I had a similar problem with my DirecTV DVR (even going directly to my TV set), and that is exactly what I did. In my case, my DVR does a good job of upscaling SD and lower resolution (720p) HD material, so I didn't get any other problems. However, if your Comcast box doesn't do a good job (and a lot of cable boxes don't), then you will be forced to put up with those "hand-shaking" delays. It's a problem in the TV tuner and is not due to your AVR.

jarsofwei is offline  
post #1606 of 5181 Old 10-15-2009, 07:09 PM
Advanced Member
 
vttom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Essex, VT
Posts: 555
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Wiebe View Post

jarsofwei -- What you said describes the HDMI "hand-shaking" between your Comcast box and your 1019 (or TV set), whenever you change chanels. If your Comcast box has an option for setting its output resolution, it's probably set to "Auto". If you change it to force the output to be 1080i (assuming you have HD & digital service), this will reduce, or eliminate, the continual "hand-shaking" when making changes.

I had a similar problem with my DirecTV DVR (even going directly to my TV set), and that is exactly what I did. In my case, my DVR does a good job of upscaling SD and lower resolution (720p) HD material, so I didn't get any other problems. However, if your Comcast box doesn't do a good job (and a lot of cable boxes don't), then you will be forced to put up with those "hand-shaking" delays. It's a problem in the TV tuner and is not due to your AVR.

My apologies if this comes off as a snarky comment, because that is not my intention, but I wanted to mention that I've never had a problem with HDMI or HDCP handshake issue with my DishNetwork ViP622 HD sat./ATSC receiver/DVR. Echostar does some funny things with their designs sometime, but this is one place where they got it rock-solid.
vttom is offline  
post #1607 of 5181 Old 10-15-2009, 07:14 PM
Senior Member
 
jarsofwei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: San Carlos, CA
Posts: 234
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Following up, I found that putting the receiver in pure direct mode did the trick. Of course, DPLIIx doesn't take over with stereo signals but I can handle that for a crisper signal response.

I know this has been probably asked a million times but is there ANY way to access the HDMI inputs directly without mapping them to an input? I have 4 HDMI devices and one component device, and between BD, DVD, DVR, and TV/STB, I've run out of buttons directly accessible from the remote (1 short).

I'm using a Logitech Harmony remote and while the database has InputHDMI, InputHDMI1, InputHDMI2, and InputHDMI3 commands, only InputHDMI works, which routes to the BD input.

I've downloaded the Hex codes from Pioneer but Logitech temporarily shut down their email support. I'm totally at a loss here. I dunno why Pioneer would restrict to mapping only 4 HD (HDMI or component) sources to remote face buttons. Anyone ever figure this one out?

Wei
jarsofwei is offline  
post #1608 of 5181 Old 10-16-2009, 03:16 AM
Member
 
htwild1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: VA
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a spare external hard disk. I want to put all MP3 files on it and use the usb connection up front to listen to the music.

Do I have to list file by file or can I leave it in a separate file folder?

Thanks.
htwild1 is offline  
post #1609 of 5181 Old 10-16-2009, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
hernanu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Boston Suburbs
Posts: 2,543
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwild1 View Post

I have a spare external hard disk. I want to put all MP3 files on it and use the usb connection up front to listen to the music.

Do I have to list file by file or can I leave it in a separate file folder?

Thanks.

Make sure the external disk is powered (has a powered enclosure), since it may not be able to be driven correctly by the 1019 / 919 otherwise; if you run into this an "overcurrent" message pops up, your device is demanding too much from the USB connection.

You also want to format it as FAT16/32, not NTSB.

You can use folders, you can go 8 deep with folders within folders.

The manual suggests putting the AVR on standby before you remove the USB connection.

The 1019 can play USB / iPod to Zone 2, the 919 can't.

See Pg. 44 of the manual.
hernanu is online now  
post #1610 of 5181 Old 10-16-2009, 06:16 AM
Advanced Member
 
vttom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Essex, VT
Posts: 555
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarsofwei View Post

Following up, I found that putting the receiver in pure direct mode did the trick. Of course, DPLIIx doesn't take over with stereo signals but I can handle that for a crisper signal response.

I know this has been probably asked a million times but is there ANY way to access the HDMI inputs directly without mapping them to an input? I have 4 HDMI devices and one component device, and between BD, DVD, DVR, and TV/STB, I've run out of buttons directly accessible from the remote (1 short).

I'm using a Logitech Harmony remote and while the database has InputHDMI, InputHDMI1, InputHDMI2, and InputHDMI3 commands, only InputHDMI works, which routes to the BD input.

I've downloaded the Hex codes from Pioneer but Logitech temporarily shut down their email support. I'm totally at a loss here. I dunno why Pioneer would restrict to mapping only 4 HD (HDMI or component) sources to remote face buttons. Anyone ever figure this one out?

Wei

When you press the HDMI button on the Pioneer remote, it cycles though the 3 non-BD HDMI inputs. Unless you have one or more assigned to another source button, in which case it only cycles through the remaining un-assigned HDMI inputs.
vttom is offline  
post #1611 of 5181 Old 10-16-2009, 06:41 AM
Member
 
htwild1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: VA
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks.
htwild1 is offline  
post #1612 of 5181 Old 10-16-2009, 01:01 PM
Newbie
 
agntorange21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey all, thanks for the advice thus far, but for some damn reason, I can not get the audio and/or video to play through my receiver for my xbox360. I got an optical cable and ran that from th xbox connection in the back of the 360 to the 1st optical input. I went into the settings and put the opt-1 to DVD. I select DVD and no sound. I have tried pressing "receiver" and then #4, to select digital as my audio, but that still doesnt work. I must be missing something right? I see the red light come through the cable so i know its sending a signal, its just wierd that I cant get the AVR to recognize it. Any suggestions? Am a overlooking a step maybe?
agntorange21 is offline  
post #1613 of 5181 Old 10-16-2009, 01:11 PM
Senior Member
 
Stilly77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 342
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwild1 View Post

I have a spare external hard disk. I want to put all MP3 files on it and use the usb connection up front to listen to the music.

Do I have to list file by file or can I leave it in a separate file folder?

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post

Make sure the external disk is powered (has a powered enclosure), since it may not be able to be driven correctly by the 1019 / 919 otherwise; if you run into this an "overcurrent" message pops up, your device is demanding too much from the USB connection.

You also want to format it as FAT16/32, not NTSB.

You can use folders, you can go 8 deep with folders within folders.

The manual suggests putting the AVR on standby before you remove the USB connection.

The 1019 can play USB / iPod to Zone 2, the 919 can't.

See Pg. 44 of the manual.

I use a USB powered 75GB external 2.5" drive divided into three 25GB partitions using FAT32. Works treat! No over-current messages.

FAT16 is limited to 4GB partitions
FAT32 is limited to 32GB partitions
As hernanu said NTFS does not work

On the Pioneer remote, hit the iPod/USB input button. This will allow you to navigate the hard drive and use the play controls. very slick and easy. MP3 sounds great coming out of my Pioneer 919 Wolfson DAC machine.
Stilly77 is offline  
post #1614 of 5181 Old 10-16-2009, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Oklahoma Wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Eastend, SK, Canada
Posts: 1,748
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by agntorange21 View Post

Hey all, thanks for the advice thus far, but for some damn reason, I can not get the audio and/or video to play through my receiver for my xbox360.

If you have it connected and configured properly at the receiver, and it sounds like you do, either the Xbox needs to be configured yet or the toslink cable you have is defective.

From the sounds of it, the Pioneer isn't registering a signal because there isn't one there to register. The red light doesn't necessarily mean a signal is present, just that the optics are working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stilly77 View Post

I use a USB powered 75GB external 2.5" drive divided into three 25GB partitions using FAT32.

Lucky you - my 919 gives me the overcurrent excuse when I try to plug mine in. Then again, it's an old Toshiba 30GB that won't work in the car without help either...
Oklahoma Wolf is offline  
post #1615 of 5181 Old 10-16-2009, 02:08 PM
Senior Member
 
jarsofwei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: San Carlos, CA
Posts: 234
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by vttom View Post

When you press the HDMI button on the Pioneer remote, it cycles though the 3 non-BD HDMI inputs. Unless you have one or more assigned to another source button, in which case it only cycles through the remaining un-assigned HDMI inputs.

Hm, yeah. I just wish there was another way to access those unassigned HDMI inputs via discrete remote code. I'm just trying to program my Harmony remote for all of my devices and hit this roadblock.

As a workaround, I think I'm going to route my cable box's HDMI directly to the TV and run optical audio. Kind of a bummer, but I can live with that as a solution, since the cable box doesn't use codecs that demand hdmi audio.
jarsofwei is offline  
post #1616 of 5181 Old 10-16-2009, 02:17 PM
Member
 
primus_2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Guys,

I wasn't too happy with the sound from my 1019 and so was looking at some configuration issues. I found that the HDMI Input in System setup is grey'd out!!

This is how it shows:

Input - Uverse
Input Name - Rename
Input Skip - OFF

Digital In ---
HDMI Input ---
Component In ---


I run HDMI from Uverse to the receiver, and receiver to TV
My XBOX is also connected via HDMI

I recently noticed that my XBOX does Stereo for the most part. When I checked, even the XBOX HDMI Input is grey'd out.

I double checked and the Kuro link is OFF. Any suggestions?

Appreciate the help
primus_2001 is offline  
post #1617 of 5181 Old 10-16-2009, 02:23 PM
Senior Member
 
jarsofwei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: San Carlos, CA
Posts: 234
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by primus_2001 View Post

Hey Guys,

I wasn't too happy with the sound from my 1019 and so was looking at some configuration issues. I found that the HDMI Input in System setup is grey'd out!!

This is how it shows:

Input - Uverse
Input Name - Rename
Input Skip - OFF

Digital In ---
HDMI Input ---
Component In ---


I run HDMI from Uverse to the receiver, and receiver to TV
My XBOX is also connected via HDMI

I recently noticed that my XBOX does Stereo for the most part. When I checked, even the XBOX HDMI Input is grey'd out.

I double checked and the Kuro link is OFF. Any suggestions?

Appreciate the help

You need to map the HDMI inputs into one of the other input names: DVR, DVD, or TV/STB.
jarsofwei is offline  
post #1618 of 5181 Old 10-16-2009, 02:25 PM
Senior Member
 
Stilly77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 342
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahoma Wolf View Post

Lucky you - my 919 gives me the overcurrent excuse when I try to plug mine in. Then again, it's an old Toshiba 30GB that won't work in the car without help either...

My drive is a 2.5 inch 5400rpm Western Digital 80GB 0BEVE PATA inside of a CoolerMaster X-Craft enclosure.

HD Current Requirements:
5 VDC
Read/Write 500 mA
Idle 400 mA
Standby 45 mA
Sleep 38 mA
Power Dissipation
Read/Write 2.50 Watts
Idle 0.85 Watts
Standby 0.23 Watts
Sleep 0.19 Watts
Stilly77 is offline  
post #1619 of 5181 Old 10-16-2009, 02:57 PM
Member
 
primus_2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarsofwei View Post

You need to map the HDMI inputs into one of the other input names: DVR, DVD, or TV/STB.

LOL...I can't believe I did this to myself :-

Thx Jarsofwei..My wife is having a hearty laugh since saw me struggle with this deal. Ugghh

Ok. But then I could still be wrong. This is what i did -

1. INPUT - set this to TV/SAT
(as expected the items were no longer grey'd out)
2. INPUT NAME - Rename
3. INPUT SKIP - OFF

Digital In - what's this? Anyways set it to Opt-1 assuming it's option 1
HDMI - set it to HDMI 1 since my Uverse STB is connected to HDMI1
Component In - Set it to Off since there is no Component cables.

Is this correct? If yes, would I be using "TV/SAT" button on my Pio remote for input switching? It would been nice to just use one HDMI button for swicthing between sources. I am guessing I'll map the XBOX to "DVR" or s'thing?
primus_2001 is offline  
post #1620 of 5181 Old 10-16-2009, 02:59 PM
Advanced Member
 
blacklion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 601
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
"...we were blown away by the sound quality of the VSX-1019AH-K for a $500 receiver, despite our initial worries that it weighs significantly less than last year's VSX-1018AH-K. With no major shortcomings, outstanding sound quality and its unique iPod-friendly USB port, the VSX-1019AH-K is our top midrange AV receiver pick and thus earns the Editors' Choice award. "

http://reviews.cnet.com/av-receivers...ml?tag=nl.e404

Denon X4000: Yamaha AS500;TS500;CDS300: Pioneer BDP62FD;BDP23FD;DV58AV;DV610: Panasonic DMP-BDT500; Sony BDP-S790; Samsung PS60E6500
blacklion is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off