Forum Jump: 

post #1891 of 5182 Old 11-12-2009, 06:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post

Turn the KURO link off in the 1019, see if that takes care of this issue.

A shame if that is the issue. His Sharp TV is compatible with Kurolink, and he should be able to get an HDMI signal through to the TV with the PIO off when enabling Kurolink.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1892 of 5182 Old 11-12-2009, 07:24 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am considering buying this receiver. My new set-up will is designed with in-ceiling speakers. What speakers do you suggest I look at? I want something decent, but don't want to spend a fortune. Any ideas? Thanks.
post #1893 of 5182 Old 11-12-2009, 08:05 AM

i just put 7 profficient audio speakers in my ceilings/walls and with the 1019 they sound amazing and are fairly inexpensive.
post #1894 of 5182 Old 11-12-2009, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAC21 View Post

A shame if that is the issue. His Sharp TV is compatible with Kurolink, and he should be able to get an HDMI signal through to the TV with the PIO off when enabling Kurolink.

True. It seems to be a feature that is either incompletely specified to apply to all implementations across the board, or just taken as a suggested feature, to implement as fully as a company thinks economically feasible.

The problem is that if the interface is not adhered to 100% by both parties, then you are going to have problems that the customer pays for. If there is a problem, both companies are going to point fingers and say that the problem lies at the end of their fingers.

A control interface like that one needs to be fully tested and vetted across all supported platforms before it's sold to consumers. The number of companies developing HDMI interfaces, their economic motivation and technical abilities all work against this. The only thing that would force compliance would be someone in power holding a big stick. If you couldn't call your interface an HDMI interface, for example if you didn't comply fully with the HDCP spec and pass inspection with an independent regulating group, then you'd see problem flushed out in a hurry. But there's no one to do this, leaving every different company to come out with their own version.

Which is why I avoid it. I prefer to use a universal remote from a company that is committed to make their product work.
post #1895 of 5182 Old 11-12-2009, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macclelland View Post

I am considering buying this receiver. My new set-up will is designed with in-ceiling speakers. What speakers do you suggest I look at? I want something decent, but don't want to spend a fortune. Any ideas? Thanks.

Budget? Size of Room? 5.1 or 7.1? Music / Theater / Gaming %use?

All of these would play into recommendations. You may also want to post a question in the speakers forum, there are some pretty knowledgeable and friendly people there.

Most speakers 6 - 8 ohms, with higher sensitivities would be fine with this receiver.

Some good places to look:

The speaker company (less expensive solution). Example:

http://www.thespeakercompany.com/NTI...er-P83C41.aspx

wwstereo has some very good speakers from Energy on sale

http://www.wwstereo.com/website/ecom...product=V2.0CM

from the Veritas (their best ) line.

You'll need a sub as well, is that in wall or separate?
post #1896 of 5182 Old 11-12-2009, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugie View Post

I definitly think it's the AVR and not the remote - my Harmony and the stock remote are equally useless in turning it on. I thought it seemed to happen when I hadn't used the receiver in a few days but then it happens from one day to the next. My email to Pioneer merely resulted in them asking me to take it to a service depot, no confirmation of guilt or any potential resolution. I was hoping that one of us had had their unit flashed/repaired as a definitive solution.
I'm going to try the kurolink trick - although that disables asigning audio to an optical input instead of HDMI - which I may need to do because my Oppo 983 is having dropouts. I'm begining to think HDMI is not ready for prime time.

Yeah, that's why I said it's not the optimal solution. if you need to assign audio to optical, then maybe your best bet is to exchange the receiver for a new one. I might consider that, since I have yet to hear anything from Pioneer customer support. The audio problem doesn't pertain to me though, since everything I have connected is through HDMI for both audio and video. Still, it's a potential annoyance for the future if I ever needed to assign audio. Let me know how it works out for you. It probably is a firmware issue, or maybe just a batch of defective units. Even though, that would be a really big batch of defective units across multiple model numbers.

Revenge is a dish best served cold...
My First HT Attempt
post #1897 of 5182 Old 11-12-2009, 10:38 AM

Liked: 14
I have been having the following problem maybe once a week ever since I bought this receiver back in May - when I switch from one source to another the AVR display shows NORM -27dB and no sound comes out. To recover from that state I need to either cycle the power of the AVR or change the input and go back to the one of interest.
I suspect that it happens if the source is not outputing audio signal at the time the AVR goes to the corresponding input.
The AVR is last in all of my activity sequences (Harmony 670). At some point I though it had to do with the SIGSEL AUTO mode and I made sure that mode was set appropriately. It seemed that it made the problem appear less often, but I couldn't say that for sure. It happens with my XBOX360 and cable box, both using TOSLINK connections. It does not happen with the BD, which uses HDMI.

I wonder if anybody has seen and resolved this problem.
Maybe I need to change the device delays in the remote.
post #1898 of 5182 Old 11-12-2009, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadMF222 View Post

Yeah, that's why I said it's not the optimal solution. if you need to assign audio to optical, then maybe your best bet is to exchange the receiver for a new one. I might consider that, since I have yet to hear anything from Pioneer customer support. The audio problem doesn't pertain to me though, since everything I have connected is through HDMI for both audio and video. Still, it's a potential annoyance for the future if I ever needed to assign audio. Let me know how it works out for you. It probably is a firmware issue, or maybe just a batch of defective units. Even though, that would be a really big batch of defective units across multiple model numbers.

So here is what I wrote to Pioneer, and what their response was concerning the power issue:

Inquiry Type:Warranty and Service Issues
lstPublishers:0001
lstTitles:A00001
Inquiry:It seems there is a general issue with the new receivers that Pioneer has put out, specifically the VSX-1019AH and the one I own, the Elite VSX-21TXH. For whatever reason, whenever the receiver has either been powered on or off for some time, it will not respond to power commands from any remote, be it the factory remote that comes with it or any universal remote such as the Harmony One from Logitech which I own. If you search all of the forum databases online for these two specific models of Pioneer, you will see many have this power issue. For some of us, the only way to remedy this power glitch is to turn KURO LINK on. Unfortunately, this is not the recommended setting to use if you do not own a piece of equipment with KURO LINK capabilities. That has somewhat fixed the power issue for some people, but it also disables certain capabilities that are needed in order to assign functions to the HDMI inputs. I have read several disappointing results when customers
have tried to contact Pioneer support on this issue. I, along with many owners of these Pioneer receivers, would appreciate a response on this issue. Many are contemplating returning their purchase and going with another brand because of this problem, as I am sure you can understand how frustrating it could be to have this power issue. Your response would be greatly appreciated, as I would really hate to return what is otherwise a great receiver and go with a different brand. Thank you.

The Response:

Thank you for contacting Pioneer Electronics, Inc.
I'm sorry to hear the problem you are having with the receiver.
We have reported this issue to our engineers and they are currently working to provide a resolution to the problem.
Please make sure you have registered your unit, you will receive notification when the correction is announced.

Thank You,

Pioneer Support Group

Revenge is a dish best served cold...
My First HT Attempt
post #1899 of 5182 Old 11-12-2009, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsmoker View Post

I have been having the following problem maybe once a week ever since I bought this receiver back in May - when I switch from one source to another the AVR display shows NORM -27dB and no sound comes out. To recover from that state I need to either cycle the power of the AVR or change the input and go back to the one of interest.
I suspect that it happens if the source is not outputing audio signal at the time the AVR goes to the corresponding input.
The AVR is last in all of my activity sequences (Harmony 670). At some point I though it had to do with the SIGSEL AUTO mode and I made sure that mode was set appropriately. It seemed that it made the problem appear less often, but I couldn't say that for sure. It happens with my XBOX360 and cable box, both using TOSLINK connections. It does not happen with the BD, which uses HDMI.

I wonder if anybody has seen and resolved this problem.
Maybe I need to change the device delays in the remote.

You could change your sequence and lengthen the delays. I have the same remote, works like a charm.

My power on Sequence:

HDTV ---> 1019 ---> Any component.

I've selected longer delays than with my previous AVR (Sony) since that didn't have HDMI 1.3 connections. So far I have one small issue when I change channels, all HDMI connections.
post #1900 of 5182 Old 11-12-2009, 03:13 PM

Hi,

Did anyone ever conclude whether or not we can upgrade the firmware on these, either by ourselves, or by bringing them in?

Thanks!
post #1901 of 5182 Old 11-12-2009, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petergriffin999 View Post

Hi,

Did anyone ever conclude whether or not we can upgrade the firmware on these, either by ourselves, or by bringing them in?

Thanks!

Had gotten the impression by someone I spoke to at Pioneer Support (on a general question/issue) that firmware could be upgraded via USB port, but that's not documented in the user guide for 919/1019...
post #1902 of 5182 Old 11-12-2009, 05:07 PM

Just got my VSX-919, when I checked it after having it on for the whole day, it seemed really hot to the touch. I think I have adequate space for it in the cabinet (about 2" on each side, 3" on top, and room in the back). Is it something I should be concerned about??? Thanks for any advice.
post #1903 of 5182 Old 11-12-2009, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skotx View Post

Certainly worth trying to use what you already have before buying something else.

Are you attempting to use the TV as your primary display for the PC or with a dual monitor setup? You'll want to go into the display properties and set the screen resolution under the Settings tab to something appropriate for your TV. A few other tweaks will be required if you're using dual monitors.

No... However I figured it out, you do need a converter box or whatever it is for RGB to component video so I just ran my computer straight to my tv as u sugested and it worked fine. Then the next day i received my netflix disc for PS3 slim to stream movies via ps3. This changed everything as thats really the only reason i wanted the computer hooked up anyway with the exception of espn 360 use occasionally. In the end my room is too big to even view on a 52 inch lcd and sit comfortably in my chair and surf the internet. I will entertain it when I upgrade or buy a computer with hdmi at some other point.

Thanks for your help I really appreciate it.
post #1904 of 5182 Old 11-13-2009, 02:10 AM

i'm on the fence about getting a 1019..

I have a 5g ipod video (60gb) I'd like to use with the receiver.. but I was looking at the manual and on p.44 it has a footnote mentions "You cannot use this function, when an iPod of fifth generation or iPod nano of first generation is connected" in regard to switching ipod controls. Does this mean that I won't be able to control playback through the receiver?
post #1905 of 5182 Old 11-13-2009, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by resolutek View Post

i'm on the fence about getting a 1019..

I have a 5g ipod video (60gb) I'd like to use with the receiver.. but I was looking at the manual and on p.44 it has a footnote mentions "You cannot use this function, when an iPod of fifth generation or iPod nano of first generation is connected" in regard to switching ipod controls. Does this mean that I won't be able to control playback through the receiver?

I have the same IPOD model. You'll be able to play music files and use the receiver remote to control IPOD functions and display songs/playlists on your TV. But I found that model wouldn't support video playback.
post #1906 of 5182 Old 11-13-2009, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPINE DOC View Post

Just got my VSX-919, when I checked it after having it on for the whole day, it seemed really hot to the touch. I think I have adequate space for it in the cabinet (about 2" on each side, 3" on top, and room in the back). Is it something I should be concerned about??? Thanks for any advice.

3" on top IMO is boarderline You might want to consider a rear cabinet fan. You have a switched plug on the back of the AVR, so that the fan comes on and off with the AVR.

On a side note, one of the reviews I read on the 919/1019 is that the reviewer thought that the top of the Receiver seemed to be designed as part of the cooling system (in contact with the transformer heatsink for better heat dissipation). If correct the top would be warm /hot
post #1907 of 5182 Old 11-13-2009, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAC21 View Post

...You have a switched plug on the back of the AVR, so that the fan comes on and off with the AVR...

There is no switched outlet on the VSX-919 or VSX-1019. You can get one of those powerstripas though that detects when a master device (the receiver) is turned on, and then turns on other outlets to run your fan...
post #1908 of 5182 Old 11-13-2009, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

I'd give it more space or add some active cooling. Mines out in the open with nothing but space around, and it still gets plenty hot. I have two 140mm 12V fans on top of it right now running at 6V - they do a good job of cooling it and keeping that little 80mm howler inside the chassis from coming on too often.
post #1909 of 5182 Old 11-13-2009, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahoma Wolf View Post

I have two 140mm 12V fans on top of it right now running at 6V - they do a good job of cooling it and keeping that little 80mm howler inside the chassis from coming on too often.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you get your fans from and how do you have them hooked up?
post #1910 of 5182 Old 11-13-2009, 08:25 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahoma Wolf View Post

I'd give it more space or add some active cooling. Mines out in the open with nothing but space around, and it still gets plenty hot. I have two 140mm 12V fans on top of it right now running at 6V - they do a good job of cooling it and keeping that little 80mm howler inside the chassis from coming on too often.

My AV rack is open to the sides and rear of my 1019; there is about 3.5" between the receiver's top and a shelf. The receiver gets pretty hot after about an hour or so in operation and after 3 hours or so, its real hot to the touch - can't keep my fingers on it longer a couple of secs.

It does keep pretty cool when I have on a window unit air-conditioner to cool the room in general. The AC is about 3ft away from the receiver. The receiver's top is only slightly warm after about 3 hours of operation with the AC on. However, I'm getting a table fan to cool the receiver when I can't use the air-conditioner.

Denon X4000: Yamaha AS500;TS500;CDS300: Pioneer BDP62FD;BDP23FD;DV58AV;DV610: Panasonic DMP-BDT500; Sony BDP-S790; Samsung PS60E6500
post #1911 of 5182 Old 11-13-2009, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoretsk View Post

Had gotten the impression by someone I spoke to at Pioneer Support (on a general question/issue) that firmware could be upgraded via USB port, but that's not documented in the user guide for 919/1019...

Thanks skoretsk. Has anyone ever done this?

For what it's worth, the problem I'm trying to figure out is audio via hdmi. I have a DirecTV High Def DVR and sometimes the audio has a ton of static accompanying the sound and sometimes is very choppy. Sometimes a power cycle makes the problem go away.

Anyway, before I dive too deep into trying to figure it out, I thought I'd start with figuring out if I'm at the latest firmware rev and whether or not it can be upgraded, hence the question.

I purchased it in April of this year from Best Buy.

Thanks!
post #1912 of 5182 Old 11-13-2009, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ss_T15_product

has done a great job for me with my 1019. I have it in a completely enclosed (glass and wood) cabinet, along with three other components which were all contributing to heat issues. The addition of the 1019 finally triggered me into action.

I cut out a panel in the back through the wood, screwed in the panel with both 120 mm fans, plugged the fan into a power strip, and set the heat sensor on the ceiling of the cabinet (velcro provided with the kit). Took me total 30 minutes, most of it reading the manual and making sure I cut out the right size area.

This:

1. has twin 120 mm fans.
2. has a small panel (just barely bigger than the two fans).
3. only comes on when the temperature reaches 82 - 86 Deg Farenheit.
4. shuts off when the temperature is lower.

You don't need to rely on anything else to turn it on / shut it off. My cabinet is very cool now, no problems at all.

This suits my needs, but a little searching will find you a fan with a heat sensor that probably suits yours. Mine was about 70 bucks, but I figure it's worth it to keep your components safe.
post #1913 of 5182 Old 11-13-2009, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklion View Post

My AV rack is open to the sides and rear of my 1019; there is about 3.5" between the receiver's top and a shelf. The receiver gets pretty hot after about an hour or so in operation and after 3 hours or so, its real hot to the touch - can't keep my fingers on it longer a couple of secs.

It does keep pretty cool when I have on a window unit air-conditioner to cool the room in general. The AC is about 3ft away from the receiver. The receiver's top is only slightly warm after about 3 hours of operation with the AC on. However, I'm getting a table fan to cool the receiver when I can't use the air-conditioner.

I'm surprised yours runs hot under these conditions. Must be hot in your house.
Mine has about an inch on top, a BDP-320 to the right with no space and it's open on the back and the left side where the grill is. I have 5.1 speakers bi-amped. The internal fan turns on only if I listen to music at high volumes (-15dB and up) and it turns off 2-3 seconds after I stop the music.
I have no heat sources on top or the bottom. Never had overheating issues. Just for the sake of the experiment, I tried once putting the BDP directly on top of the receiver and the BDP would not want to power up - too hot for it even when the AVR was idle. The BDP has very short legs.
I hate that you can't stack these things up as in the past anymore.
post #1914 of 5182 Old 11-13-2009, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsmoker View Post

The internal fan turns on only if I listen to music at high volumes (-15dB and up) and it turns off 2-3 seconds after I stop the music.

Interesting - mine comes on as low as -30dB depending on what I'm listening to. It runs a lot. Then again, it seems to be a little overmatched in driving my Chrysler/Infinity builds. MCACC has every channel but LFE set to around +8dB to get to reference volume, and all but the surround back speakers are set to large.

I've been thinking the 919 just doesn't have enough overall power for these speakers. They're much more power hungry than I thought they would be (impedance is probably a bit higher than 8 ohms with the drivers wired in series). But, my usual listening level is -15dB or lower, and it has yet to shut down on me at that level so I'm not feeling too much urge to upgrade just yet. At the same time, if I don't turn my 140mm fans on, that little one in the receiver comes on constantly and stays running well into the quiet parts in the movies I watch, and that drives me crazy. I get the feeling that if I tried reference level, the 919 would quit on me pretty quick.

Long story short, I think I'd rather have a little fan noise all the time than listen to that 80mm start and stop all the time like that
post #1915 of 5182 Old 11-13-2009, 10:34 AM

We have used the Pioneer VSX-1019AH a few months, and the only ways we can produce audio from the FM tuner are to either have the TV on prior to powering the AVR or disconnect the HDMI cable between the AVR and the TV prior to powering the AVR. The same applies to music playback from PC. Nothing is heard unless the TV is on or the HDMI cable is disconnected.

I suspect this is a settings/configuration issue, but can't find anything in the manual or the forum to confirm this. I have replaced the HDMI cable from AVR to TV, but this had no effect.

Any thought/ideas are appreciated
post #1916 of 5182 Old 11-13-2009, 10:48 AM

Thanks for all the info. Just bought the 120mm fan on Amazon, should have it by early next week. I didn't even know that they make fans especially for home theater systems. Once again, thanks for the advise!!!!
Any preferences on whether to set it to blow from outside into the cabinet or from inside- out, any particula way cools better??
post #1917 of 5182 Old 11-13-2009, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for all the info. Just bought the 120mm fan on Amazon, should have it by early next week. I didn't even know that they make fans especially for home theater systems. Once again, thanks for the advise!!!!
Any preferences on whether to set it to blow from outside into the cabinet or from inside- out, any particula way cools better??

I've got mine with the air direction inside to out. It takes out the heat without introducing too much dust into the 1019.
post #1918 of 5182 Old 11-13-2009, 11:16 AM

That makes sense. Will test it next week.
post #1919 of 5182 Old 11-13-2009, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aross99 View Post

There is no switched outlet on the VSX-919 or VSX-1019. You can get one of those powerstripas though that detects when a master device (the receiver) is turned on, and then turns on other outlets to run your fan...

Hummm, must be confusing it with my Denon.
post #1920 of 5182 Old 11-14-2009, 03:51 AM

Question...

Are the Elite SC-25/SC-27 actually 140Wx7 and 140Wx2 as advertised? Or are they the same as with the 910 and 1019 where they are listed as 120Wx7 but are only 90Wx2 and whatever they are with all channels driven?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page