AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony000 View Post

I have follow up on this heat issue.

I ordered a 140mm brushless fan and stuck it on top of the unit, blowing the air up and out. The unit does not get hot to the touch like it used to. After two hours, still no transformer buzz. So the problem appears to be averted.

I'd return this unit now if Amazon allowed it, but it's outside the exchange period. The unit should be able to cool itself in a completely open shelf. I'm disappointed with Pioneer customer support, too.

So now I have to figure out how to switch the fan on with the unit, since it doesn't have any power outlets on the back. I'm thinking I'll have to hook up a relay and connect it to the control output. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks.

Tony, I have a completely enclosed glass door cabinet with all of my components inside. I described this fan assembly, which keeps it cool not just for the 1019, but for all components (FIOS DVR, BDP-83, HD-A35, 1019) and it has a heat sensor to turn it on / off when it exits / enters a particular heat range.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2792 of 5157 Old 01-14-2010, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

My fan doesn't seem to ever come on. Is there a way to manually switch it on or is it automatically turned on when the unit is hot?

The fan only comes on when the amp section starts heating up real good, and appears to be monitored for proper operation by the receiver itself. At least on mine, it's a decent quality Nidec fan with an RPM monitoring lead on it. At audio levels that don't get the unit hot enough to turn the fan on, these receivers tend to heat up anyway due to the presence of three MOSFETs up around the top center of the heatsink. It's normal to get a fair bit of heat from there and not have the fan come on.

If yours never turns the fan on at all (it's not a very quiet fan - should be easy to tell), and you're getting buzzing that goes away with extra cooling, I'd say it's worthy of getting checked out under warranty.

Quote:

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks.

I use some Woods remote control outlets so I can turn on my external fans at will, but a Smart Strip might be the answer for you.
post #2793 of 5157 Old 01-14-2010, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahoma Wolf View Post

I use some Woods remote control outlets so I can turn on my external fans at will, but a Smart Strip might be the answer for you.

I've got a UPS that has a Smart Strip like feature, so that's how I control my fan, works great - AVR comes on and the fan clicks on like 2 seconds later when it senses the current change.
My 1019 is in a pretty tight space: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...t#post17789032
I got the fan kit & power supply from these guys: http://www.coolerguys.com they also sell the temperature controller.

My equipment list is here. Playstation Network ID = jmii ...that's JM roman numeral 2
post #2794 of 5157 Old 01-14-2010, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
My daughter called me down to the basement HT the other day complaining that she was suddenly getting no sound out of the 1019.

I confirmed that to be the case by cycling through all connected inputs and messing with the Receiver/Audio, volume +/- and Mute button on the remote. I also power-cycled the receiver.

In desperation, I re-ran a full MCACC setup and, thankfully, all of my sound came back.

Has anyone else had this happen with their 1019?

Can anyone think of whether or not my daughter could have hit a button that killed all the sound output in such a way that re-running MCACC was the only way to get it back?
post #2795 of 5157 Old 01-14-2010, 10:47 AM

Hi guys!.. i recently buy a VSX-919.. because is more o less like 1019 i just post here a Rare problem i have.

I have an Pio 5090H connected to 919 throug HDMI (out) and i cant see the GUI on TV.. i tryied all.. switching hdmi's on TV.. hitting the Home button + power

I cant configure nothing from the 919 because its imposible to see the menu on TV.. im really desperate...

Thanks for reading.. and sorry for my english.
post #2796 of 5157 Old 01-14-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vttom View Post

My daughter called me down to the basement HT the other day complaining that she was suddenly getting no sound out of the 1019.

I confirmed that to be the case by cycling through all connected inputs and messing with the Receiver/Audio, volume +/- and Mute button on the remote. I also power-cycled the receiver.

In desperation, I re-ran a full MCACC setup and, thankfully, all of my sound came back.

Can anyone think of whether or not my daughter could have hit a button that killed all the sound output in such a way that re-running MCACC was the only way to get it back?

I had something like that happen to me. as I was stumbling through the setup I realized the speaker setup was wrong. After I changed it, I didn't get sound from 1 of the speakers. I reran MDACC and all was good. no issues since.
post #2797 of 5157 Old 01-14-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddysnake View Post

Last night I noticed that my remote wouldn't turn on the receiver. Once I manually turned it on, everything worked fine on the remote. This was the first time I've noticed that the remote didn't turn it on, I didn't have much time to mess around with it to see if I was doing something wrong, but thought I'd bring this up as well. Please let me know what Pioneer says and I will do some more tests when I get home...

Got a response from Pioneer,

"We are aware of the problem you describe and are currently working on a solution" .

They said they would contact me when they find a resolution and gave me a case #. They told me to make sure I was registered online so I would receive product updates(which i did)
post #2798 of 5157 Old 01-14-2010, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smack518 View Post

I actually just got off the phone with Pioneer customer support. They report that they have plenty in-stock at corporate for $399, and to their knowledge the product is not backlogged anywhere, and they are shipping product regularly to retailers like they normally do. Again, to his knowledge they're not waiting for more to be manufactured, there are plenty waiting and being shipped...

I'm not sure what the deal is because apart from them, Amazon seems to be the only retailer to have any...

Okay, seeing as how Amazon is now ALSO out of stock on the 919 and 1019s I thought I'd call Pioneer back to find out what's going on. Again, they report that they have plenty for sale DIRECT from pioneer (of the 919s, I think they're also sold out of the 1019s), but they charge $399+tax+shipping, whereas you can get it from J+R for $349 flat.

I explained that none of the major online retailers have any, so clearly they're waiting on more. She looked into the system and she indicated THEiR warehouse is scheduled to get more on 1/22, and that retailers usually get them a couple days later, so she indicated I should expect to get my order, in early-ish February.

Not what I was hoping to hear, but at least its not MONTHS away.

Thought this might help some people on here who are in a similar waiting posture as me.

Crossposting to 919 thread.
post #2799 of 5157 Old 01-14-2010, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee99ta View Post

"We are aware of the problem you describe and are currently working on a solution" .

They said they would contact me when they find a resolution and gave me a case #. They told me to make sure I was registered online so I would receive product updates(which i did)

How would one get product updates on this receiver? I don't think it's firmware upgradeable...
post #2800 of 5157 Old 01-14-2010, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zervinb View Post

These receivers do not support HDMI Pass through. However, there is a workaround. You can connect the HDMI cable directly to the television and connect an optical/coaxial cable from the motorola box to the receiver to handle the audio.

The fat PS3 does NOT bitstream the high-def audio codecs. It converts them to LPCM (lossless) and then passes them on through HDMI. The receiver will output the sound meant to be heard (i.e. Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD MA) but since it is not decoding these formats, the LEDs on the receiver front will not light up.

The PS3 "Slim" is capable of bitstreaming the HD codecs, and you can then let the receiver decode them. People say there's hardly any difference in the sound quality when the PS3 decodes the codecs, compared to the receiver decoding them.

This is a good receiver and once you run MCACC, the sound you will hear will be excellent. The Elites will be a step up, however, the lower Elites only slightly better than the 1019.

Zervinb, thanks for the detailed reply. Any recommendation on a rather in expensive Blu-Ray player that will light this puppy up when playing HD audio?

Also, is it true if the this AVR processes 5 channels you will not receive a true 120 watts per channel. Will I notice this or will the sound be degraded?
post #2801 of 5157 Old 01-14-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smack518 View Post

How would one get product updates on this receiver? I don't think it's firmware upgradeable...

I have no idea. She made it sound like they would communicate a solution. She didn't even offer the option of repair/replace yet.
post #2802 of 5157 Old 01-14-2010, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrypik View Post

...Any recommendation on a rather in expensive Blu-Ray player that will light this puppy up when playing HD audio?

Panasonic DMP-BD60 is one. Highly rated and can be found for ~ $130.

Quote:

Also, is it true if the this AVR processes 5 channels you will not receive a true 120 watts per channel. Will I notice this or will the sound be degraded?

You won't notice. Most users average under 1 watt in normal usage and rarely reach 40 watts, even in reference level peaks. Moreover, source material almost never requires full power from all channels simultaneously. 5 channel power ratings are interesting lab tests, but don't reflect real world conditions.
post #2803 of 5157 Old 01-14-2010, 05:38 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan424 View Post

source material almost never requires full power from all channels simultaneously. 5 channel power ratings are interesting lab tests, but don't reflect real world conditions.

How about when listening to music in stereo at high volumes? Would this require full power to the two channels to my front towers?

Pls excuse this n00b question

Denon X4000: Yamaha AS500;TS500;CDS300: Pioneer BDP62FD;BDP23FD;DV58AV;DV610: Panasonic DMP-BDT500; Sony BDP-S790; Samsung PS60E6500
post #2804 of 5157 Old 01-14-2010, 05:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Only if your room is a warehouse!

Afro GT
post #2805 of 5157 Old 01-14-2010, 05:51 PM

Hi

First thanks to all for the great advice given.

I just purchased the 1019 on boxing day and set up was made much easier with all the help provided here. I've gone through all posts (taken me about a week)

I'n the last couple of days I have encountered a problem of the dialogue dropping to the point of it almost not being heard yet the background sound remains coming from the surround speakers. This has only happened when watching tv programs. When it has happened it only effects the channel I'm watching I can change the channel and all sound is available yet when I turn back to the original channel the dialogue is still way to low. The sound would also return during commercials and the go away when the program returned. There has been no common channel that it has happened. When the program has ended the sound returns.

When this has happened I have tried the different sound options and the dialogue will return to audible levels when set to ext. stereo setting.

For the life of me I can't figure out why this is happening or why it fixes it self.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have my pvr and ps3 (no problems with the ps3) set up via hdmi into the 1019 and the hdmi into the tv.

thanks.

John
post #2806 of 5157 Old 01-14-2010, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklion View Post

How about when listening to music in stereo at high volumes? Would this require full power to the two channels to my front towers?

Pls excuse this n00b question

Stereo music at high volumes obviously uses only two channels, which is how the receiver is rated (90watts). Even in movies, the R/L channels do the heavy lifting most of the time.

BTW, with typical modern speakers in an average listening room, 90 watts can deliver about 110dB, enough to cause hearing damage in 30 minutes, much less than it takes most CDs to play.

(The 120 watt figure is into one channel, but that is not an FTC qualified rating. It's nothing to fret over, though, as it is only about 1.2 dB more than the true 90 watt rating.)
post #2807 of 5157 Old 01-14-2010, 06:42 PM

I currently own a Yamaha RX-V2500 and was thinking of buying the VsX-1019 for its HDMI, IPOD and a couple other items my Yamaha does not. First do you think it is wise to make the switch? I use this system as a secondary audio system, but am starting to find it more my primary due to convenience. Also I was debating on either the Pioneer or possibly the Denon comparable unit, I think it is the 710. I also debated on the Onkyo 607 (I think that is the model).
post #2808 of 5157 Old 01-14-2010, 08:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwood88 View Post

I'n the last couple of days I have encountered a problem of the dialogue dropping to the point of it almost not being heard yet the background sound remains coming from the surround speakers. This has only happened when watching tv programs. When it has happened it only effects the channel I'm watching I can change the channel and all sound is available yet when I turn back to the original channel the dialogue is still way to low. The sound would also return during commercials and the go away when the program returned. There has been no common channel that it has happened. When the program has ended the sound returns.

When this has happened I have tried the different sound options and the dialogue will return to audible levels when set to ext. stereo setting.

For the life of me I can't figure out why this is happening or why it fixes it self.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You could create an MCACC preset (6 presets are possible) in which you could bump up the level of the center channel, which is where most of the dialogue is output. Whenever the dialogue level goes low, you could switch over to this specific preset.

Hope this solves your problem. Post feedback here. This is an interesting question. I don't think any other users have had this problem. Not too sure though.
post #2809 of 5157 Old 01-14-2010, 08:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbmrinaldi View Post

I currently own a Yamaha RX-V2500 and was thinking of buying the VsX-1019 for its HDMI, IPOD and a couple other items my Yamaha does not. First do you think it is wise to make the switch? I use this system as a secondary audio system, but am starting to find it more my primary due to convenience. Also I was debating on either the Pioneer or possibly the Denon comparable unit, I think it is the 710. I also debated on the Onkyo 607 (I think that is the model).

The 1019 is a good receiver. Most people are very happy with it. If you have a (relatively) modest setup, it is very good.

For researching the features of the Denons, I would strongly recommend BatPig's Denon-to-English Dictionary. It is much better than the Denon manuals. Look up the FAQ section there.

The 1019 and 919 are comparable. The 919 has 1 less HDMI input and does not do video-upscaling. If you need those features, go in for the 1019.

NOTE: The 1019 and the 919 are out of stock at most online resellers. Refer a few posts above. smack518 called up Pioneer and they said they have stock and are sending it out to sellers. J&R has the best prices on the 919 and 1019. Check out their website. It shows out of stock, but they deliver as soon as they receive fresh stock.
post #2810 of 5157 Old 01-15-2010, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vttom View Post

I see something like that every 10 days or so. Maybe the same thing. During the power up/input select sequence the receiver shows NORM -27 and then no sound comes up. Cycling through the AVR inputs slowly (e.g. one back and one forth) solves the problem. I have noticed that only with the optical inputs. If the source is on before the receiver is switched to that input, it's less likely to happen. If you use a harmony remote you can tweak the power sequence. I retired my harmony and I'm seeing this more often now.
post #2811 of 5157 Old 01-15-2010, 07:37 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklion View Post

It could...

In addition to room size your speakers sensitivity and setup type play a big part in the "how much power do I need" question. If you have a powered subwoofer then 1019's 30-90 watts per channel will be fine. Bi-amping a set of full range towers in the front will help, but the 1019 really doesn't have a "beefy" amplifier section, it will struggle in some music situations.

I am of the opinion that the 1019 is an excellent home theater solution with a satellite (up to bookshelf size)/subwoofer combination, but dedicated stereo music buffs should look elsewhere. However given the 1019's price point its really not going to be on their radar anyway.

I'm not saying the 1019 can't do music loudly, it surely can... but "loud" is subjective: for example my wife thinks anything past about -20dBs is crazy, yet I'm comfortable listening at -5dBs (and higher) depending on the source.

My equipment list is here. Playstation Network ID = jmii ...that's JM roman numeral 2
post #2812 of 5157 Old 01-15-2010, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee99ta View Post

Thanks, keep me updated, I hope to be back home tonight to mess around with this.

With the heat conversation being brought up, I really haven't noticed my unit getting hot lately. I have mine enclosed in a cabinent with about 2 inches on the side and maybe 9 inches of clearance up top and the back is completely open. I've been planning on getting a fan for the top, but maybe I don't need one. My basement stays cool (61 degrees) so I think that may help, but my fan only comes on during loud continous scenes, I'm sure during "the hurt locker" tonight I will hear it! After a couple hours the unit is warm up top, but not hot to the touch, do you guys think I should still invest in a fan?
post #2813 of 5157 Old 01-15-2010, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Is this unit a significant upgrade for an Onkyo TX-SR705? I'm looking to replace the 705 because I need more output, my room is 25x15' with 14' vaulted ceiling.

Running JBL ND310 mains, JBL S-Center, Polk R10 surrounds, Cadence CSX-15 powered sub, PDP5080HD Kuro.

Also where is this available for the BEST PRICE?
post #2814 of 5157 Old 01-15-2010, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostfrenzy View Post

Is this unit a significant upgrade for an Onkyo TX-SR705? I'm looking to replace the 705 because I need more output, my room is 25x15' with 14' vaulted ceiling.

Running JBL ND310 mains, JBL S-Center, Polk R10 surrounds, Cadence CSX-15 powered sub, PDP5080HD Kuro.

"Officially", price talk isn't allowed, but "Unofficially" the best price you would get for the 1019 is at J&R. I couldn't find a better price (at least among the authorized online Pioneer resellers)

The page shows the product as being "Currently out of stock". You could still order it and they would ship it when they get fresh stock. At least, you get it at the lower price. It is out of stock with most online resellers, and the ones that have it, charge even more than Pioneer's suggested price, which is a total ripoff.
post #2815 of 5157 Old 01-15-2010, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Just thought I'll post this link for 1019/919 owners. It is very helpful in understanding Crossover Settings on AV Receivers and it is a sticky on the AV Amplifiers/Receivers section at AVForums (the UK sister of AVSForum)

Crossover and Speaker Settings in Relation to Bass Management
post #2816 of 5157 Old 01-15-2010, 10:36 AM

I've recently purchased VSX-1019-AH and set them up with:
Take 5 Classic (crossover at 150)
Polk Audio PSW10 10-inch

My previous setup involved Apple TV and M-Audio Studiophile AV 40 system. The M-Audio 40's I loved especially for the their midrange and was disappointed when I couldnt use them as my front speakers because the Pioneer doesn't accept RCA output for the fronts speakers.

My question is -- Is it worth setting my M-Audio 40s as Zone B and playing both Zone A+B all the time? Would I hear a pronounced difference given the increased midrange of the M-Audio 40s? Or would the sound be muddled coming out of the 4 front speakers because they are different speaker types.

I love the Take 5's, but maybe I'm not used to listening to a satellite/subsystem quite yet especially when listening to music.
post #2817 of 5157 Old 01-15-2010, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostfrenzy View Post

Depends on what you want to upgrade. Video handling, iPod, etc...

Since you want power, this is not the right move for you. Your receiver has pre-outs, you may be better off getting an emotiva amp for more output. As far as power, the 705's amps are better than this units'.

Look into the 3 channel amp from emotiva or the 5 channel.
post #2818 of 5157 Old 01-15-2010, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member

Would it be possible for people to upload pics of their setups along with the 1019?

I know this thread is used for answering people's queries but would love to see what people have setup in their Home Theater.

Or should I start a new thread for pics?
post #2819 of 5157 Old 01-15-2010, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post

Since you want power, this is not the right move for you. Your receiver has pre-outs, you may be better off getting an emotiva amp for more output. As far as power, the 705's amps are better than this units'.

hernanu, a n00b question pls -

Can I 'daisy-chain' two subs with the 1019? Would this significantly enhance the sound for action movies?

Denon X4000: Yamaha AS500;TS500;CDS300: Pioneer BDP62FD;BDP23FD;DV58AV;DV610: Panasonic DMP-BDT500; Sony BDP-S790; Samsung PS60E6500
post #2820 of 5157 Old 01-15-2010, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post

is it? i've cooked a few tweeters getting near -0db on my onkyo and it seems to distort/get bright quickly... maybe something's WRONG with my onkyo?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page