The "Official" Pioneer VSX-1019AH Owner's Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5178 Old 05-24-2009, 05:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
This unit has been available for a month or two but I haven't seen a thread for it yet, so here we are.

From the Pioneer website:

This hub for your home entertainment center allows you to enjoy your favorite movies on Blu-ray Disc®, DVD or VHS on your flat-panel television like never before. With standard features that include a phenomenal ability to upscale and convert analog video signals to1080p when transmitted through HDMI® to your high definition television, the VSX-1019AH-K's video scaler presents you with nothing but the best quality possible today - regardless of what video source it receives.

And as portable audio devices are now becoming a primary source of entertainment, it's also why the VSX-1019AH-K is Works with iPhone® certified. With this certification comes a myriad of benefits for enjoying your iPhone on the VSX-1019AH-K: easy connectivity with the front USB port and included cable - even charging the device while connected; music and movies are automatically muted with incoming calls (no longer requiring you to put the phone in Airplane Mode); compressed music files are greatly enhanced by Pioneer's exclusive Advanced Sound Retriever technology; Auto Level Control maintains a consistent volume from to song to song and all this control is still possible from the palm of your hand through the iPhone® itself or the VSX-1019AH-K's remote.

Add the VSX-1019-AH-K's brand new color Graphical User Interface (GUI) and the ability for 2nd zone A/V distribution, and enjoying a Blu-ray Disc movie in the living room while someone else scrolls through iTunes® album art while listening to music in a bedroom is all but effortless.

But the benefits certainly don't stop there. With 4 HDMI inputs and 2 component video inputs the potential to expand your HD entertainment experience even further is not only a dream come true but also a technical reality.

Aibohphobia: The fear of palindromes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5178 Old 05-24-2009, 05:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

This is my first receiver with HDMI, so I eagerly hooked up my Scientific Atlanta 8300 cable box, Toshiba A20 HDDVD, and Samsung 3600 BD players. The receiver was connevted to our ISF calibrated Toshiba 57HM167 DLP TV.

I was blown away by the audio. And while the video from the cable box was as good as ever, the disc players seemed oversaturated in chroma. Previously I'd had the HDMI from the players going to separate TV inputs, and as it turned out the calibrator had set their inputs chroma levels lower.

I wound up going HDMI from the cable to that same input on the TV, then taking the 1019's HDMI out to the TV's prior HDDVD input. Cable audio is now via coaxial, which is fine as that's all that is required. Both BD and HDDVD look fine on that input.

I'm glad I found a workaround, but I wonder if there are any receivers that let you tweak HDMI chroma/tint/level settings for each input. It's an interesting problem when the coloimrtry from one device is out of tune with all the others.

post #3 of 5178 Old 05-24-2009, 05:31 AM

Liked: 12
I have a sd tivo hooked up with composite video and analog audio,you can adjust video settings with analog video at least composite don`t know about component.I agree, excellent audio with this avr.i`ve had all of the different auto-setup programs from different makes of avrs,mcacc seems to be the best.Has anyone had any problems with the remote not turning avr on?Once in awhile the avr wont turn on with remote,I have to push power button on front panel then every thing is ok for awhile.
post #4 of 5178 Old 05-24-2009, 06:41 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chroma601 View Post

This is my first receiver with HDMI, so I eagerly hooked up my Scientific Atlanta 8300 cable box, Toshiba A20 HDDVD, and Samsung 3600 BD players. The receiver was connevted to our ISF calibrated Toshiba 57HM167 DLP TV.

I was blown away by the audio. And while the video from the cable box was as good as ever, the disc players seemed oversaturated in chroma. Previously I'd had the HDMI from the players going to separate TV inputs, and as it turned out the calibrator had set their inputs chroma levels lower.

I wound up going HDMI from the cable to that same input on the TV, then taking the 1019's HDMI out to the TV's prior HDDVD input. Cable audio is now via coaxial, which is fine as that's all that is required. Both BD and HDDVD look fine on that input.

I'm glad I found a workaround, but I wonder if there are any receivers that let you tweak HDMI chroma/tint/level settings for each input. It's an interesting problem when the coloimrtry from one device is out of tune with all the others.

I've had the same issue with other receivers and I have not heard of any that let you adjust the video calibration by input. THis is not an AVR issue though, this is a TV issue. Your ISF calibration fixed the settings per input based upon source. Now that everything is coming in via one input you have only one batch of settings for all sources.

There is a workaround if you have multiple calibration options. On my Sharp I can switch the AV Mode between 'Standard', Movie, User, etc. One is fixed per input but the others vary. You could copy your video settings from your other input into one of these other modes and then just switch the mode when you switch the input. As you point out, there is no real benefit to this since you have sufficient inputs on your TV so you really aren't gaining anything but it could be useful if you run out of inputs.

I would try not to play around with the settings in the AVR itself for chroma, etc. I have heard that it is always best to make most of those adjustments in the TV itself.

It does make me wonder though that if in the future we'll see the HDMI spec enhanced such that it will vary the settings based upon the source material, even when they come in at the same input. Not that I think we should add too much more to that spec though.
post #5 of 5178 Old 05-24-2009, 06:45 AM

I've been reading here and in other places about issues with power on. I noticed from the manual that the KuroLink feature interacts with how this device gets powered. For those of you with issues can you try turning Kuro Link off and see if the issues still happen?
post #6 of 5178 Old 05-24-2009, 08:53 AM

I bought this receiver and while I enjoy the audio very much. I find that the set-up is rather complicated. I had lots of problems trying to decipher how to get it to recognize my DT Prosub, had to take it to BestBuy so that they set it up. Still it says that the subwoofer level is too high, but it doesn't help me tune it down. I have spent hours trying different things to no avail. Also the video set-up is a project. Have not been able to set up my scientific atlanta cable box, and blu-ray player to properly send video to the TV set.
Extremelly complicated to set up, and the instructions book is worthless... Bit disapointed here so far. I know that once i figure it out I will have a great receiver to enjoy, but boy-oh-boy pioneer why do I need a PhD to set your receiver???
post #7 of 5178 Old 05-24-2009, 12:18 PM

Well, I will add my subject to the questions. One of the features that attracted me was the ipod/usb attachment. I can attach my iphone and sort of get it to play but I can only control it from the amp itself. The amp does not respond to the remote when I am trying to select a playlist or pause a song or skip forward etc. Anyone have a clue? I agree that the manual is a bit of a mess but my Yamaha that I had before this was no pirze either for its manual. I think these are just very complicated boxes.

In any case, the video setup seemed to go well and most of the audio stuff has gone okay but I have only had a day or so to play with it.

By the way, do I want bitstream or PCM from my blu ray and DVR to the amp? I can't find anything that gives me a recommendation/explanation.

Thanks for any help.

Harry
post #8 of 5178 Old 05-24-2009, 06:07 PM

i have a ipod nano pioneer remote works great with it.Make sure you push ipod-usb button on remote NOT ipod control.As far as audio goes you want to select bitstream,make sure pioneer hdmi control is set to amp,not through,hope this helps.
post #9 of 5178 Old 05-24-2009, 06:19 PM

Signing in..The set-up was rather complicated but over it's awesome [IMG]http://***************/9/z/i.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://***************/9/R/i.jpg[/IMG]
post #10 of 5178 Old 05-24-2009, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

harrys11, you want bitstream as the 1019 has the latest decoders.

Replaydummy, the amp is asking you to turn down your sub volume at the sub itself. There should be a level control on the sub's built-in amp.

tex94, the workaround I came up with works great. As I don't need advanced audio codecs for the cable box, that goes in via coaxial while the TV gets the HDMI. Thank goodness I have a Harmony 880, or my wife would be lost.

Yes, it's complicated. But that makes it versatile! I do wish the book was a little more thorough!

post #11 of 5178 Old 05-25-2009, 05:52 AM

Thanks for the help. I really started reading the manual and it looks like you could spend a lifetime fine tuning each source and each piece of media on this baby.

Harry
post #12 of 5178 Old 05-27-2009, 10:33 AM

Has anyone tried the Auto Level Control (ALC) feature on the 1019 yet? Does it equalize volume levels between TV programming and loud commercials?
post #13 of 5178 Old 05-28-2009, 05:57 AM

The alc works good but it has a limitation.You can only have multi-channel alc if the input signal is multi-channel.If the signal is 2.0 the alc will be in 2 channel stereo.If you select a surround mode with a 2.0 signal the alc will go off!!!???
post #14 of 5178 Old 05-29-2009, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

This amp is a major improvement from my 1014. I was concerned at first because it was lighter, and rated for less power. But in use, it sounds markedly better. Pioneer has changed the MCACC quite a bit, and that might be the main reason. As far as power goes, bass eats the most power and my sub (SVS) is a monster on its own, so the lower power has not proven to be a factor. And the new HD codecs via HDMI really add a lot.

So after my first two weeks with it, I am very pleased.

post #15 of 5178 Old 05-29-2009, 08:56 AM

I finally received my Pioneer 1019 from 6Ave last night. It was sitting in the UPS warehouse for the last 48 hours so I'm glad it finally arrived (technically on time but why leave it sitting there?!?). Anyway, I ended up staying up way too late last night setting this up. I was not able to run MCACC yet (kids and wife were asleep and would not have appreciated hearing all that noise). Here are my first thoughts on the Pio, I'll update it later this weekend after I've had a chance to run through the rest of the settings.

I purchased the Pioneer 1019 after a lengthy decision process between the Denon 1910, Onkyo 607 and Yamaha 765. I needed 4 HDMI so the earlier models wouldn't work and I was also limited in footprint depth so it was these 4. I went with the Pio because I've always been a fan of the sound and quality and each of the others had one or two things wrong (Denon not available, Onkyo quality issues (?), Yammy no assignable inputs). My one concern with the Pio going in was the revamped amps and the decline in weight. Would it impact quality of sound and power? Based on my early tests, NO. This unit has a great, clean sound with lots of detail at low levels and high. I did not hear any hint of strain (although, in fairness, I couldn't go too loud because it was late. I'll reconfirm that this weekend).

Read on for more details:

First, here's my equipment:
Comcast/Moto DCT-3416 HD DVR
Panasonic BD-35
Macbook as HTPC (mini-DVI to HDMI and Optical)
Sharp 52D62U
Harmony One
Energy Take Classic speakers
Sennheiser wireless headphones
Room is about 19x14 with one open wall to a kitchen and sitting area in middle

Design
While the unit is smaller and lighter than the 1018 it doesn't look cheap' and it still has enough bulk to it to make you think it has power. It looks great in the rack. Remote is a bit confusing but I won't use that much after setup and the Harmony database had all the relevant codes, a nice surprise for such a recent release.

The Setup Process
It was pretty easy to get all of the speakers and components hooked up. The manual stinks but I had spent a fair amount of time with the manual online in advance and after a few reads you can fill in the blanks. It took me about an hour to get all of the old equipment out and the new equipment in. Assigning the inputs was relatively straightforward. Renaming inputs was awkward due to the way they handle text input but it was very flexible. I had a little trouble assigning the Optical audio signal from my Macbook along with an HDMI input. I first tried to assign the optical directly to an HDMI input but you can't do that. Instead I had to assign both the HDMI and Optical to an entirely different Input Name (I chose DVR). It worked fine but I suspect that means I really lost a video input since I can't send anything else to the original HDMI input. Not a huge deal as I don't use all the inputs but it was still annoying.

As I said before, I haven't done MCACC yet but I did use the manual speaker setup and my speaker settings from my old Sony AVR and input those here. That was pretty easy and even with this rudimentary setup the sound was great. Even my wife (who is happy with TV speakers alone) commented on the improvement in quality.

I ran though some of the DSPs and effects but I prefer to set everything to DIRECT, especially on BDs but it was nice to use the Extended Stereo for my iPod and get sound from all of the speakers.

Video
I had lots of questions on the video scaler. I agree with most posters that you should not buy an AVR for this capability. Most TVs will do a better job than any $500 AVR. My TV is a 2006 model though and it has pretty average scaling so I wanted to see how it would look. I hooked up my Comcast DVR with both HDMI and with Component/Optical to gauge the difference. HDMI looks great (and no scaling, of course) but there was no impact on visual signal. I did not have any annoying audio lags either. Component also looks really good for HD signals. I could not tell the difference between the HDMI and Component signals on HD channels.

I then tried it on some SD channels with the scaler set to 1080p. The AVR did fine but it wasn't any better than my TV. No worse either but then I already mentioned my scaler is pretty average. So, as I said earlier, don't buy the unit for the scaler but it's not a negative either. Just try it for your sources and TV and it may or may not generate any improvement in PQ.

The good news is that it does a very good job of upconversion (switching analog signals to digital) which means you can have 6 HD sources (4 HDMI and 2 Component) which is nice.

The one odd thing I found was in the aspect ratio settings for 4:3 signals. The default is Through' which would make me think it sends the signal untouched but it is actually for stretching the signal (and it does a bad job of that). I switched the signal to Normal' and it then just passed the 4:3 signal untouched - a definite improvement.

All other sources looked great. Panny BD35 looks and sounds great and I was relieved to see that my Macbook was able to pass a clean signal through the AVR to the TV.

Audio
So the real question is about how this unit sounds. As I mentioned earlier, I am really pleased with the quality and balance. Everything sounds warm and detailed. I expect it to improve even further with the MCACC adjustments. I've listened to quite a few units over time and this has all of the Pioneer sound and quality you expect from them. I don't think anyone will be disappointed with the sound or the power (Of course, if you are willing to spend 3x the $$ then you can get better quality from the Elite series. If you have the cash, definitely buy one of those. If you are looking to spend <$700 then this is a great unit.)

One thing that annoyed me was the crossover setting. My sub and speakers want a 110hz crossover but the options aren't that fine grained. I think you can set at 50, 80, 100, 150, and 200. I would have appreciated a few more options. Setting at 110 causes me to lose bass but 150 causes me to send more signals than necessary to the sub. It sounds ok but most other AVRs I've seen allow for this extra detailed setting.

Movies and TV sounded really great and my speakers and sub had a nice blend even before running MCACC calibrations. Music was where I really noticed a HUGE improvement over my older Sony. That unit handled movies well but strained a bit on music. The Pioneer really handled music beautifully. I tried a CD, an iPod via the USB interface, and an iPod via RCA inputs. CD sounds fantastic and I was pleasantly surprised by how great the iPod with USB sounded too. When you use this setup the Pioneer is using its quality DACs instead of the cheaper ones in the iPod and it makes a really big difference. Still, even with an iPod and RCA connections the Pioneer had a really nice balanced sound and were quite powerful. I don't think you will be disappointed with music from this unit at all.

On the iPod interface/GUI it's ok but not great. The GUI is very low end. It's functional but I don't think anyone is going to want it up and displayed all of the time. I can't fathom why people don't make these a bit better. I've got to image the design costs would be negligible. I have both an iPhone and a 5th generation iPod. I was not able to get the iPhone to work at all but I didn't try very long. 5th gen iPod worked and sound was great but I was annoyed that you cannot use the iPod itself to control materials on 5th gen units (apparently you can on newer models). That means I'd need to turn on the TV to play music from the iPod. So I'll probably use the old RCA connections for most usage (despite less quality) just to avoid turning on the TV. If I have a party or will be playing music for a long time I'll use the digital connection then and turn on the TV to choose the playlist and then turn off the TV. Again, not a big deal but annoying.

Summary
If you can't tell by now, I really like the Pioneer and am quite pleased with the purchase. Way more upsides with a few annoyances but no showstoppers. Unit runs warm but not too hot. I could still put my hand on top after 5 hours on. There are plenty of inputs, lots of flexibility on configuring inputs, plenty of decoding options, video conversion works well and scaler is decent (but not great). Sound is fantastic - don't worry about the weight. I highly recommend this unit. If you want a quality AVR with great sound for less than $500, this is your unit. If you can spend $800-1000 then by all means get a Pioneer Elite but everyone else will be very, very happy with this unit.
post #16 of 5178 Old 05-29-2009, 02:34 PM

I came home early (I love Friday's) and went right back to work with the Pioneer. Ran the MCACC settings and it sounds great. I did have to tweak a few speaker levels by 0.5 to 1.0dB. Most notably the center speaker was too low along with the sub. I also went back and changed my crossover freq to 100hz from 150. As I said previously, the ideal setting is 110hz and I thought setting to 150 would be better despite 100 being closer to ideal. I was wrong. At 150hz the sound was too bright but switching back to 100hz refilled the room with a much warmer more balanced setting. I was expecting to go in an play with all of the other MCACC settings but I think I am going to pass on that for now. The sound is just too good as is. Since I am a tinkerer, I'm sure I'll go in and play with everything eventually and I like that I can store this MCACC setting and then compare old and new to see if things have improved. Even more excited by this unit now.

The bass was always a bit boomy with my old Sony but now the bass just blends right into the rest of the speakers. The standing wave control and reverb management definitely made an improvement in my case.

The other item that I mentioned was iPhone connectivity but I discovered the issue there - I didnt have any songs loaded so it obviously could not find them.

Lastly, I know some have mentioned audio/video delays, power on/off issues, etc. It's early but I have not seen any of those issues and hope I won't. There is a delay when switching between TV channels if they have different signals (480i v 1080i) but that is normal and no worse than what my TV would take to adjust.

All in all a very good buy.
post #17 of 5178 Old 05-29-2009, 02:54 PM

That was a VERY helpful review! Thanks! Here is one question... and likely not a good one. I have finally found out info on my rear speakers... they are 4 ohm Car speakers. I know i can select 6ohm for my outputs... would that be enough to likely allow my rear speakers not to burn out the amp? Im expecting the loudest the system will ever go will be during the auto calibration because the room is fairly small... and im not sure how loud the rear surround speakers will get since this is only for a home theater, not really for listening to music. Im still reading up on the ohm thing which seems to be quite debated. If the answer is i need new speakers... i could spend the money i was going to spend on a harmony on new speakers instead i suppose... if someone has a good suggestion. I did so want a harmony though...

Thanks again.
post #18 of 5178 Old 05-29-2009, 03:59 PM

I have had my 1019 since wednesday. The sound quality is much better than my OLD Yam RX-V990 using the same speakers and dolby surround. The speaker calibration is a nice tool. The tuner isnt as strong as the yamaha and I havent figured out how to scan channels instead of dialing them in, old-style.

The setup is pretty complicated and I still havent figured out everything but I have a few questions maybe I'm missing something:

1. Is there a way to assign HDMI to default on startup (startup is always SAT/TV)

2. Is there a way to assign an HDMI input to a preset input (SAT/TV,DVR,etc). HDMI is blacked out as an option.

3. Is there a way to set HDMI passthru when the reciever is off so it still sends the HDMI signal to the TV?

Any help would be appreciated.
post #19 of 5178 Old 05-29-2009, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkman95 View Post

That was a VERY helpful review! Thanks! Here is one question... and likely not a good one. I have finally found out info on my rear speakers... they are 4 ohm Car speakers. I know i can select 6ohm for my outputs... would that be enough to likely allow my rear speakers not to burn out the amp? Im expecting the loudest the system will ever go will be during the auto calibration because the room is fairly small... and im not sure how loud the rear surround speakers will get since this is only for a home theater, not really for listening to music. Im still reading up on the ohm thing which seems to be quite debated. If the answer is i need new speakers... i could spend the money i was going to spend on a harmony on new speakers instead i suppose... if someone has a good suggestion. I did so want a harmony though...

Thanks again.

I think you'll want new speakers. I'm no expert but my understanding is that you don't want the speaker impedence lower than th amp can handle or it will back up and overload. I'd definitely invest in speakers before the remote. There is nothing in all of the equipment that will make as much of a difference to sound quality than speakers. You can find some decent ones for pretty cheap - my entire Energy 5.1 setup was $399 and they sound great. Of course, the Harmony is super convenient. Keep checking online you might find some good deals.
post #20 of 5178 Old 05-29-2009, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillout View Post

I have had my 1019 since wednesday. The sound quality is much better than my OLD Yam RX-V990 using the same speakers and dolby surround. The speaker calibration is a nice tool. The tuner isnt as strong as the yamaha and I havent figured out how to scan channels instead of dialing them in, old-style.

The setup is pretty complicated and I still havent figured out everything but I have a few questions maybe I'm missing something:

1. Is there a way to assign HDMI to default on startup (startup is always SAT/TV)

2. Is there a way to assign an HDMI input to a preset input (SAT/TV,DVR,etc). HDMI is blacked out as an option.

3. Is there a way to set HDMI passthru when the reciever is off so it still sends the HDMI signal to the TV?

Any help would be appreciated.

1. Not that I know of. It turns to whatever you played last. But if you use a universal remote like harmony you can put it into the 'On' sequence so it will always go to the right input.

2. Yes, you can assign the HDMI inputs to other input functions. THis is what I did with my Macbook. I used the DVR input and mapped both HDMI-2 and Optical-2 to this input. Go to the input setup menu, select the input you want to map this to and scroll down to HDMI to assign one of these to that input. Works great.

3. Unfortunately no. The new Yamaha xx5 series does HDMI passthrough when the unit is off but not the Pio. Of course, they don't have assignable inputs (like you need in question #2) so pick your poison.
post #21 of 5178 Old 05-30-2009, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex94 View Post

2. Yes, you can assign the HDMI inputs to other input functions. THis is what I did with my Macbook. I used the DVR input and mapped both HDMI-2 and Optical-2 to this input. Go to the input setup menu, select the input you want to map this to and scroll down to HDMI to assign one of these to that input. Works great.

When I go to Input Setup and select DVR under the Input Name, it will only allow me to select 'Digital In' or 'Component In' and assigning it to an HDMI Input is grey'd out. Not sure what I'm doing wrong but it shouldnt be rocket science setting this up.
post #22 of 5178 Old 05-30-2009, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillout View Post

When I go to Input Setup and select DVR under the Input Name, it will only allow me to select 'Digital In' or 'Component In' and assigning it to an HDMI Input is grey'd out. Not sure what I'm doing wrong but it shouldnt be rocket science setting this up.

Hmm, not sure what the issue is. I just checked out my unit and it looks like as long as you are trying to assign the HDMI input to 'DVD', 'DVR', Multi Channel in, or 'TV/SAT' it should work. I did notice it was grayed out on CD, CD-R, Aux, Video, etc.
post #23 of 5178 Old 05-31-2009, 06:36 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkman95 View Post

Thanks again.

I'm using 4 Ohm speakers too. With the cables it really is like 5 Ohm. The 1019AH has no problem with that. Not for the volume level I use it with. These should be current-output amps so the load impedance should not matter much, except that you will be getting half the power of a 8 Ohm setup.
post #24 of 5178 Old 05-31-2009, 07:41 AM

I'm interested in this receiver. I'm sure that it will, but would like confirmation that it will decode the PS3's pcm sound?

First the doctor told me the good news: I was going to have a disease named after me.
post #25 of 5178 Old 05-31-2009, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacehog View Post

I'm interested in this receiver. I'm sure that it will, but would like confirmation that it will decode the PS3's pcm sound?

Yes. While I don't have a PS3 it handles PCM just fine.
post #26 of 5178 Old 05-31-2009, 08:53 AM

Thanks! And good review!

First the doctor told me the good news: I was going to have a disease named after me.
post #27 of 5178 Old 05-31-2009, 11:20 AM

pioneer 1019 will play pcm and bitstream via ps3 hdmi ,but it wont display that on the front pannel of the reciever because the ps3 internaly decodes DD HD/etc but outputs it as PCM.you have to go to the ps3 audio output selection /english1 english2 and it will say DD HD but for some reason recievers never displays that it recieved it.The reciever will just show it as PCM but it is reproducing the sound.hope this helps.
post #28 of 5178 Old 05-31-2009, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epoch View Post

pioneer 1019 will play pcm and bitstream via ps3 hdmi ,but it wont display that on the front pannel of the reciever because the ps3 internaly decodes DD HD/etc but outputs it as PCM.you have to go to the ps3 audio output selection /english1 english2 and it will say DD HD but for some reason recievers never displays that it recieved it.The reciever will just show it as PCM but it is reproducing the sound.hope this helps.

Right. And no receiver will be able to display anything but PCM. This is because the PS3 is decoding the original digital stream (DTS-HD MA, DD TrueHD, etc.) into another digital stream called PCM and sending that over HDMI to the receiver (where the receiver will decode it to analog via its DACs to send to the speakers). Since the receiver gets the PCM it doesn't know how it was originally recorded. None of that should matter though as the sound quality should be exactly the same whether the PS3 or the receiver decodes it.

Still, I have to admit it is rewarding to see TrueHD or DTS-HD MA light up on the receiver. You won't get that with the PS3 but it won't impact the sound quality one iota.
post #29 of 5178 Old 05-31-2009, 01:09 PM

Thanks! I have a Denon AVR-3805 and I am trying to decide if this upgrade is worth it. Since this thread is in the early stages I'll wait and see what people think.

post #30 of 5178 Old 05-31-2009, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsmoker View Post

I'm using 4 Ohm speakers too. ...

Thanks for the info again! I jumped the other thread on ya since there was an "official" like thread now. I will try the current speakers and see how it goes before i buy my harmony then.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page