Official Onkyo TX-SR707 Thread [No Price Talk] - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 3607 Old 09-17-2009, 10:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Received my 707 yesterday, unboxed it, and hooked it up. Ran the Audissey calibration but the darn mike wasn't long enough to do the 6 seating positions and only could do 3. Guess I need to get an extension of 6-8 feet. Sounded pretty good so far but just had one of my sons playing some PS3. I'll rerun the Audissey this weekend and get into some movies. Interestingly, I had to turn off my AC and Projector to get the noise floor low enough for actual measurement. It was giving me errors until I did. But it was easy enough to use the read-out from the 707 to do it (the 707 is in the room behind the theater). The Audissey system seems more sensitive then the Yamaha calibration with the little black puck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 3607 Old 09-17-2009, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

You are lucky, at least you got 3 seating positions. I ran mine today and could not get to detect my SVS sub-woofer, even after setting the level past half way point! I'm very disappointed about this as the Audissey was the main selling point.
post #273 of 3607 Old 09-17-2009, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughh View Post

You are lucky, at least you got 3 seating positions. I ran mine today and could not get to detect my SVS sub-woofer, even after setting the level past half way point! I'm very disappointed about this as the Audissey was the main selling point.

Are you able to bypass AUTO ON on your sub and just turn it on? Sometimes a sub's AUTO ON doesn't respond fast enough for the AVR to detect it.
post #274 of 3607 Old 09-17-2009, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I calibrated my def tech system (eD Sub) today with auddysey and it worked like a charm, no detection problems or anything, knocks on wood the sound is spectacular, i didnt actually sit down and watch a movie but i just watched snippets of a few favorites on blueray, DyanmicEQ deliveres as usuall and from first impressions, the Dynamic Volume appears to do the job with controlling volume peaks pretty well!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
::
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #275 of 3607 Old 09-18-2009, 04:01 AM

I am in the market for a new receiver, and have been following the 607 thread for a week trying to get through all the pages.... stopped by here to check on the next model up, the 707. What does the 707 offer that makes it a better buy then the 607?

Any places to get a deal now? Sounds like I missed the Newegg deal by a week...
post #276 of 3607 Old 09-18-2009, 06:17 AM

I have been looking at this receiver and I have one question can you rename the inputs or do they only have names selectable from a predetermined list. The ability to rename the inputs to match my equipment is one of the feature I really want vs generic names I know the Denon 2310CI has the feature I hope that the Onkyo also has this right now the Onkyo and Denon are my top two choices.
post #277 of 3607 Old 09-18-2009, 06:18 AM
Advanced Member

input rename is possible.
post #278 of 3607 Old 09-18-2009, 06:27 AM

As an example I could rename one of the HDMI inputs to say Tvix to indicate the correct input for the Dvix Tvix 6500 media player from the manual I downloaded it looked like you had to use one of the generic names that custom names was not possible.
post #279 of 3607 Old 09-18-2009, 06:36 AM
Advanced Member

Thats what I am doing with my 707. I have mine labeled as DirecTV, HTPC and Popcorn for my popcorn hour NMT. Name edit is on page 89 of the paper manual shipped with my unit.
post #280 of 3607 Old 09-18-2009, 06:40 AM

hey milehigh....grew up in Applewood (Golden) area, lived for years in Evergreen enjoying the steaks at Keys on the Green and of course, Little Bear. I followed the 607 too, about ready to buy and went to my local Best Buy (Magnolia) to hear it. We started playing with the different set-ups and both liked the sound of the 707 better. It's got a better processing chip, 10 more watts, and THX certification which the bb guy summed up as little bit better specs all around. Most will probably say there isn't a whole lot of difference in the sound between the 607-707-807 but in that room, that day, I thought the 707 had a little more "weight" to it than the 607. Couldn't tell much diff between the 707 and the 807.....however, he was having trouble with the 807 because it wasn't installed in the rack properly, we didn't spend much time with it because the networking properties that set the 807 apart were not important to me. The bb guy was a Yamaha fan so he had to get the new 765 in the mix, the 707 blew it away. I made my decision and set my personal "buy" point at $599. A week later I happen to catch the newegg promo and bought at $569. Lovin' it! I don't know if Ultimate Electronics carries Onkyo, but do yourself a favor and spend the time to audition the 707. I'd watch the newegg site real close, bet they do some promo again, great outfit!
post #281 of 3607 Old 09-18-2009, 10:38 AM

kemac, with your relabeled inputs on the 707, do you still see the original labels when you go into the audio menu, or do you see the new labels? With my 607, it reverts to the original labels in the menu, so I have to remember where I put what when I am changing settings (since I have a Harmony remote doing all my switching between devices, I didn't memorize that info, though I tried to pick what was most closely associated). I am wondering what to expect with my Dad's 707 (which is out for delivery now).

Thoughts are thinking; Thunk from knowing
nwod gniog em peek reverof sthguohT
post #282 of 3607 Old 09-18-2009, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

Just purchased and connected the receiver yesterday but I have some questions:

1) For the life of me, I can't get "Dolby True HD" or "DTS HD" to show up in the window as a selectable listening mode. I'm running my PS3 into the receiver via HDMI, and have tried both Bitstream and Linear PCM, as well as various films. What setting should I use, and why can't I see the HD audio format?

2) Is there any way to have video from an HDMI source (say HDMI 3 which is my 360) and listen to audio from an optical audio source (my cable box)?

3) Is there any way to use all the receiver functions (i.e. listening modes, etc) without hitting the receiver button on the remote? I hit BD/DVD in order to shift to that input, and then have to hit Receiver in order to change the listening modes, tweak the video output, etc.

Thanks!
post #283 of 3607 Old 09-18-2009, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

VSP - Its the same as the 607 by the sounds of it. If you go into the I/O Assign menu it uses the default names so you definitely want to assign everything before you change the labels or it could get confusing.
post #284 of 3607 Old 09-18-2009, 04:01 PM

Hey Jamoon,

Nice to see a local I shop Newegg frequently for computer parts, so have an account there... I'll keep my eyes open and thanks for the comments on the 707!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamoon79 View Post

hey milehigh....grew up in Applewood (Golden) area, lived for years in Evergreen enjoying the steaks at Keys on the Green and of course, Little Bear. I'd watch the newegg site real close, bet they do some promo again, great outfit!

post #285 of 3607 Old 09-18-2009, 04:28 PM

I just checked newegg and they have the free ipod doc with the 707. I am going to buy a new receiver soon and I think the 707 fits my needs well. I just wish I'd gotten in on the promo price last week.
post #286 of 3607 Old 09-18-2009, 08:11 PM

I got lucky and saw the newegg deal late Sunday night and decided to pull the trigger. Delivery was pretty fast, got it delivered on Tuesday. Thanks Newegg! Anyways I bought this receiver to replace my old 5.1 Onkyo HTIB (HT-R340). Hooked up all the speakers but realized that there wasn't a spot for the subwoofer wires to go into. I saw the subwoofer output for an external powered sub, but my sub doesn't accept this output. Other than replacing the subwoofer, is there any other way to make the connection?
post #287 of 3607 Old 09-18-2009, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You are lucky, at least you got 3 seating positions. I ran mine today and could not get to detect my SVS sub-woofer, even after setting the level past half way point! I'm very disappointed about this as the Audyssey was the main selling point.

Problem solved! I had an extra rear center speaker connected for Dolby EX and DTS movies and that was causing the conflict. I unhooked it and then was able to run Audyssey successfully!
post #288 of 3607 Old 09-18-2009, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2JZ4ME View Post

Other than replacing the subwoofer, is there any other way to make the connection?

Is your HTIB sub active or passive? You could try the 24-Ft. 18-Gauge Speaker Cable with RCA Plug from Radio Shack. I bought one a few years back for a center channel speaker since the AVR I inherited only had an RCA out for the center (only to find that the RCA out was dead ). If your sub is passive, this may not work (since the 707 sub out is pre-amp). If active, then this should be an inexpensive fix.

Hope this helps.

VSP

Edit: cheaper yet, get the RCA Plug/2 RCA Jack cable - 6 inches from Monoprice, snip off the fem plugs (mark the wires first), strip 'em, and you've got the same thing, only shorter, for less. Unless you need the extra length of the RS wire to go nearfield.

Thoughts are thinking; Thunk from knowing
nwod gniog em peek reverof sthguohT
post #289 of 3607 Old 09-19-2009, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey guys, I have done a couple of searches about not using the video processing by the 707, it didn't turn any definite answers to my "problem". Perhaps I did not word it correctly.

My installer hooked-up the hdmi cable from the DirectTV dvr to the 707 and then to my Sony SXRD TV expecting the Onkyo processing to be better than my old Sony. Well, the pq actually went backwards. On all satellite shows the dark areas now lack definition and sometimes acquire a brownish ting to it. I went to the tv menu and made a lot of changes where it now looks as good as it used to prior to the 707 installation, but only during the light areas of a show. I still have the same problem with the dark areas.

I can probably wait for my son to come over and help me take this heavy piece of equipment out of the cabinet, with all of those cables attached to the back and re-connect the hdmi directly to the tv the way it was before.

My question is this: Is there a menu setting that allows bypassing the post-prosessing of the satellite signals by the 707?

Thanks for any help and I am sorry if this has been answered before.
Best,
Hugh
post #290 of 3607 Old 09-19-2009, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

I found the answer to my dilemma! Page 43 of the 707 Instruction Manual. Monitor Out Setup. Using the left/right buttons select: Through. Video passes through the receiver...WITH NO CONVERSION.

My DirectTV pq is now back to the way it was before de DVR being connected to the 707.
post #291 of 3607 Old 09-19-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:

Problem solved! I had an extra rear center speaker connected for Dolby EX and DTS movies and that was causing the conflict. I unhooked it and then was able to run Audyssey successfully!

hughh...that's strange. I have a center rear also and it did not cause any conflict. Audissey recognized both the rear center and my HSU sub. Did you just disconnect the rear center and it worked?
post #292 of 3607 Old 09-19-2009, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Right! I disconnected it and ran Audyssey again. After trying for 2 days, it finally recognized the SVS. I was then able to run it for 4 different seating positions. The only thing that I find disconcerting is that the two very small new speakers I got for "height" as well as the smallish speakers for left/right rear, the crossover are now set-up at 40 Hz while the center which is much larger is set-up at 60 Hz. I haven't had a chance to listen with a critical ear or play with the settings, but I find it interesting.

I may re-run it after the weekend and see if it changes anything.
post #293 of 3607 Old 09-19-2009, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey guys, what did u guys set the Dynamic Volume to? i have it set to "Least" , and also, under the Setup Menu, in THX AUDIO SETUP, do u guys have LOUDNESS Plus enabled? its enabled by default..

post #294 of 3607 Old 09-19-2009, 10:27 PM

This is an old topic with Onkyo but I am wondering what people are experiencing with their 707. I had a HT180 which I returned to save some space and some money. I have been running the 707 for about a week. It sounds great and is easy enough to operate.

The one concern I have is the heat of the unit. When it is running for an hour or two the top of the receiver gets hot enough to where it is actually painful to put my hand on the top (no jokes about simply not putting my hand on the top ).

Is this normal for an Onkyo receiver? How does this bode for longevity?

Thanks.
post #295 of 3607 Old 09-19-2009, 10:49 PM
SVM

sstea - I have simillar concern with 807, some people are using cabinet coolers.
Here is one website I found searching around here in the foums.
http://www.coolerguys.com/compcooling.html

I am curious to hear others experience before I put money into the cooling.
post #296 of 3607 Old 09-20-2009, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVM View Post

sstea - I have simillar concern with 807, some people are using cabinet coolers.
Here is one website I found searching around here in the foums.
http://www.coolerguys.com/compcooling.html

I am curious to hear others experience before I put money into the cooling.

I already cut a hole and mounted an 80mm computer case fan in the back of a media cabinet. My 707 still gets incredibly hot. The fan was supposed to be a lower RPM and very quiet. It was silent when I ran it before installation into the cabinet. On the cabinet it makes a slight humming noise. It is almost as annoying as the buzz of my Samsung plasma ..but that is a different subject. I don't know whether I should put in a higher flow fan (but louder), leave as is with the unit getting almost too hot to touch or try and return the Onkyo for a Denon....
post #297 of 3607 Old 09-20-2009, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstea View Post

I already cut a hole and mounted an 80mm computer case fan in the back of a media cabinet. My 707 still gets incredibly hot. The fan was supposed to be a lower RPM and very quiet. It was silent when I ran it before installation into the cabinet. On the cabinet it makes a slight humming noise. It is almost as annoying as the buzz of my Samsung plasma ..but that is a different subject. I don't know whether I should put in a higher flow fan (but louder), leave as is with the unit getting almost too hot to touch or try and return the Onkyo for a Denon....

Mine gets hot too guys, this is my third onkyo receiever in like 4 years, they all get hot like this, and i NEVER used a fan to cool it down further, i have it in the shelf on my glass TV stand near my center channel speaker.

i have a question, do you guys notice that when watching TV, as in cable or sattelite, when u change channel, if you look on the onkyo's display , it always says DIALOG NORMAL +4 (or whatever number that is there i dont quiete remember) real quick before adjusting to the listening mode , well it does that sometimes, not always.. i guess its adjusting the volume or something. i also noticed that sometimes when watching FOX or NBC or CBS, and the show is in DOLBY D, the commercials start, it channges to ALL CHANNEL STEREO and then when the show is back it doesnt switch back to Dolby D, it could be because im not using a cable box, my tv is connected directly with optical to the onkyo for sound and i have the coax cable in my house connected to my HDTV so yea im not using a cable box at all in my living room.

with PS3 and 360 it always swtiches to the right listening mode all the time..

post #298 of 3607 Old 09-20-2009, 09:23 AM

lamonsasa,

Yes, I see the same type of behavior with respect to the display and switching audio modes. I don't have any insight into the underlying operation.

On the topic of heat...Does your Onkyo get hot enough that you can't hold your hand on the back of the unit for more than few seconds?
post #299 of 3607 Old 09-20-2009, 09:33 AM

I'm really liking the 707 after a few days use. Setup in a 5.1 configuration and I'm impressed at the sound quality and the depth of the sound stage. Also like the dynamic volume feature.

As a result I have a two year old, as new, Onkyo TX-SR674 for sale, original box, manuals, etc. PM me if interested.
post #300 of 3607 Old 09-20-2009, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstea View Post

lamonsasa,

Yes, I see the same type of behavior with respect to the display and switching audio modes. I don't have any insight into the underlying operation.

On the topic of heat...Does your Onkyo get hot enough that you can't hold your hand on the back of the unit for more than few seconds?

Yes indeed, it does get hot, thats normal man. Are you using a cable box to watch TV? im not sure if this the listening mode swtich is a "Problem", do you think its a problem? it appears to work fine most of the time..

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Sr707 7 2 Channel A V Surround Home Theater Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo Tx Sr606 Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page