Official Onkyo TX-SR707 Thread [No Price Talk] - Page 105 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3121 of 3611 Old 09-19-2011, 03:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone have firmware 1.22 for a tx-sr707? Version 1.27 is giving me nothing but problems with my sub. I adjusted the crossover, lowered the volume, and bass. But I am getting a loud popping and rattleing from my sub. this has never happened before the update. I believe the is some kind of a decoding issue with this version.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3122 of 3611 Old 09-21-2011, 10:42 AM

Is this "no sound problem" universal, I mean, does it happen with all versions(Asia/US/EU)/firmware?

TIA.

JP
Lisbon, PORTUGAL
post #3123 of 3611 Old 09-22-2011, 08:49 AM

Got a new issue this time. I left my receiver on standby and went to work (been leaving the unit on standby when not in use since I began using it 2 months ago). Came home and while getting settled, I heard a distinctive clicking coming from the receiver, once every couple of minutes. I thought "that's odd," and turned it on for some gaming. After about 2 hours of play, I abruptly hear the receiver click, I lose sound and picture, the standby light begins blinking rhythmically, and the display goes out. I press "power" on the remote once, and it clicks, but resumes blinking with no change. I press "power" again, and it comes back to life, gives me video (no audio) for about 8 seconds, then clicks off again, with the blinking standby light. I give it a heat check and decide this unit feels *way* too hot. Because of the unexpected clicking I heard coming from the unit while it was in standby, I am worried it was at or around this high temperature *while in standby.* I unplug and go to bed.

Fast forward to this morning. Turn on receiver, get audio and video for 3 seconds, click and power off to blinking standby light. I try with a different input device, and it clicks off even faster.

Normally I run the unit between -30.0 dB and -21.0 dB, occasionally increasing to -10.0 dB for a half hour to show off the high volume during Rock Band. I do have sessions of 14+ hours of extended use over the weekends. Receiver is placed on middle shelf, lots of breathing room on all sides, non-enclosed shelf unit.

Called Onkyo support, they had me do a factory reset, and the problem seems to be gone. Running audyssey now, will post results.

Anybody have something like this happen? Are there tips to keeping a receiver unit from overheating? Should I keep the unit unplugged when not in use?
post #3124 of 3611 Old 09-22-2011, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Got my receiver back from ABL Tuesday. Not much in the description, just alluded to a part needing to be resaudered (a3000 or some such animal). Seems to be working fine so far at least.

Remember, no matter where you go... You're not where you were anymore.
post #3125 of 3611 Old 09-22-2011, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drjebus View Post

Called Onkyo support, they had me do a factory reset, and the problem seems to be gone. Running audyssey now, will post results.

Anybody have something like this happen? Are there tips to keeping a receiver unit from overheating? Should I keep the unit unplugged when not in use?

These units definitely run very hot. If you're using a cabinet, make sure you've got at least a good 6" above (if not more), and enough airflow to move the hot air out. I've gotten in the habit of leaving my glass door open for now until I can devise a nice (prefarably cheap) exhaust system to pull more air through.

post #3126 of 3611 Old 09-22-2011, 03:00 PM

I had an Onkyo before - that one was hot!!
This its just warm... Could that be failure cause in most cases? Does these problems arise with cabinet mounted units mostly?

JP
Lisbon, PORTUGAL
post #3127 of 3611 Old 09-24-2011, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I too am having the ''no sound'' problem. It first started from a power blip even though I have a UPS on my a/v equipment. I did the clear reset function, and tried toggling the 'pure audio'. I got it to work finally. Happened again. It became harder to make it work again. It's happened again, and nothing I can do will make the sound come back.

I called Onkyo's support. They asked me to clear it. Told them still no sound. They immediately said to take it to a shop. This started like 18 months ago, and about 20 months in it is dead. Unfortunately, my closest location is 3 hours away.

This is the first time that I have paid so much for an A/V receiver, and for it to die quicker than my previous cheap models makes me angry, and my wife angry at me.

From this thread, this looks like more like a recall needs to be requested.
post #3128 of 3611 Old 09-24-2011, 03:53 PM

There seems to be an increased demand for repair of the no-sound problem. Mine has been in the shop 3-4 weeks. The part was supposed to be in on 9/15. I was just informed that it was back ordered and won't arrive until 9/30. Hard to enjoy the home theater experience without a receiver.
post #3129 of 3611 Old 09-25-2011, 04:28 PM

Sounds not so promising in quick repair, but maybe since it is so common, they can diagnose quickly. I will call to see what to do tomorrow.
post #3130 of 3611 Old 09-26-2011, 02:26 AM

Do you guys know what firmware you were on when the receiver died? did you recently upgrade it?

My 707 is nearing the 2 year mark
post #3131 of 3611 Old 09-26-2011, 08:57 AM

Never upgraded. Don't know the firmware number.
post #3132 of 3611 Old 09-28-2011, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 33
Long time no see, peeps.

Question on the 707 (still using the original firmware and 100% fine, no issues)

I am running my 707 with 7 speakers currently, but just ordered an Emotiva XPA-5 and a UPA-2.

I operate the 707 in DSX Wide 100% of the time, so I figured the 5&2 combo is the best bet (on a budget) since they did away with the UPA-7.

Anyway, I've read that the 707 remote trigger for external amps can't be used when operating 7 speakers unless zone 2 is active.

Wha? Why would they do that? Dumb.

Anyway, I would love to know if anyone has a workaround for this issue that works, as my receiver and both amps are in the basement on a rack and I use a harmony 900 to control the whole kit & caboodle.

Any advice you can give (allowing me to maintain my awesome 7.1 wide setup) would be appreciated.

Thanks
post #3133 of 3611 Old 09-28-2011, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enphenate View Post

Do you guys know what firmware you were on when the receiver died? did you recently upgrade it?

My 707 is nearing the 2 year mark

I understand that it voids the warranty to upgrade it yourself, and I'm 3 hours away from the nearest service dealer. So, I will make a request on getting an upgrade, but not sure its important. Is there some sort of information on the fixes for the firmware upgrades?
post #3134 of 3611 Old 09-28-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goros View Post

Long time no see, peeps.

Question on the 707

Anyway, I would love to know if anyone has a workaround for this issue that works, as my receiver and both amps are in the basement on a rack and I use a harmony 900 to control the whole kit & caboodle.

Thanks

I modified the HDMI cable to my TV from the 707. I bought a mono 1/8" jack at Radio Shack. I gently stripped the HDMI cable back and found the two wires that send DC voltage to the TV. I spliced two wires to those wires and connected the wires to the mono jack. Then taped it up. Then used the trigger cable between the amp and receiver.

When the receiver is turned on, it sends the DC voltage to the TV and to the jack and turns on the amp. I've had it this way for perhaps 6 months or so. I also made one for a friend, who also triggers his amp that way from his 707.

Frank
post #3135 of 3611 Old 09-28-2011, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by goros View Post

Anyway, I've read that the 707 remote trigger for external amps can't be used when operating 7 speakers unless zone 2 is active. Wha? Why would they do that? Dumb.

APC makes some "Green" units that have masters/slave AC power plugs. There is also some $30 AC power-strips with similar functionality.

Living Room Home-Theater:
Epson 8350 1080p Projector (96") / Panasonic TH-46pz850u 46" 1080p Plasma TV
Onkyo TX-sr607 7.2 HDMI Audio/Video Amplifier/Receiver (630 watts)
Panasonic DMP-BD60 Blu-Ray Disc Player / Cisco 8742hdc DVR (TimeWarner)
Harmony 670 - Universal Remote / HTPC (XMBC/Win7-64) Media Server PC
Polk Audio Monitor Series II Speakers (Large 6.1 Matched Separates) / PSW505 12-Inch Sub
post #3136 of 3611 Old 09-28-2011, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

Edit: Got what I needed from the setup section, thanks!
post #3137 of 3611 Old 10-01-2011, 02:16 AM

Edit - added information

Seems that I am not the only one got hit with the "no sound" problem.
Now what makes this completely weird is that I have two Onkyo TX SR-707 and both of them have seem to have the "no sound" problem now at the same time (I was travelling for about 3 1/2 weeks and come back to find this problem)! They were also purchased at the same time. Is there a timebomb in there?
What is my course of action - I do not "trust" this receiver anymore to be honest, but it seems Onkyo is only offering to repair through a local service center which might just postpone the problem.

Now, I am trying to work my way through this thread but this is LONG.
So far it seems that I understand that my options are
VCR + power-standby switch (no result); checking all speaker cable connections (no result); check headphones (seems that there is no output there either)
firmware update (how/which file? - but that would void the warranty I am afraid)
send in for support - serious hassle, but since I am in warranty possibly the only sensible option.

Quick questions:
a) is there a post somewhere (other site maybe) that summarizes the "no sound" problem(s) and what to do? (including e.g. how to update firmware)
b) where to get the latest firmware / update instructions

the following does not apply anymore "c" was written before I went to check the other receiver... (c) what should I do with my second 707 that currently still has sound but is nearing end of warranty? very concerning)

The problem description occurring on BOTH receivers:
No sound on all sources, including FM.
Tried to connect headphones - seems no sound there either (not sure if this is what you guys are seeing)
Tried reset (VCR + standby-power button)
Tried to disconnect all speaker cables, reconnect them individually - no change, not for one single speaker.
I also noticed when I turned it on the first time that Zone 2 was selected even though I never selected that and I do not have it set up as a Zone 2 setup - weird.

When doing Audyssey setup now, it seems to be stuck at "Please place setup microphone at center of listenin area at ear height" on screen and "Wait" on the receiver display.
post #3138 of 3611 Old 10-01-2011, 02:51 PM

I don't recall seeing any more information than you have read on the "no sound" thing.

Today, I shipped mine to a service dealer today. I'm surprised it only cost $19 fedex ground insured. The service dealer said the warranty covers return shipment. The dealer did say they have about a week backlog before they couldn't even look at the receiver. So, it might be a while before I post what they say they need to do to fix the problem.

Some have posted that when they send it in, the dealer said the problem isn't occuring. I hope that mine doesn't start working again.

Anyway, I requested, if included in the warranty, to update the firmware. I will let you know what they say there too. But, I understand if you update the firmware yourself, it will void the warranty.
post #3139 of 3611 Old 10-03-2011, 09:55 AM

I love the product, but the service sucks.

I encountered the "no sound" issue months ago and sent my receiver off to a repair center in Jacksonville Beach, Florida. They received it on May 23rd and had it for over 2 months and could never replicate the problem. They cycled it on and off several times a day and would play it for hours on end to try and get it to misbehave and never could (I figure they added over a year of wear and tear over what I would do). I called Onkyo and they were dismayed to hear this and made arrangements for the Florida folks to send it to United Radio Service, in New York. They had it for roughly a month when I called and they indicated it had been repaired and was on it's way back to me on on Aug 1. Funny thing is they even confirmed my address. After waiting a couple of weeks and no receiver, called them and they provided tracking information that showed they had shipped it back to the original service center in Florida. Called them and they said they did indeed have it and asked United Radio if they could send it directly to me and were told no, that it had to go back to New York, so they were shipping it back. It got back to New York and they finally shipped it to me.

Three and a half months later I got my receiver back. Began opening it and was pleased to see it was double boxed however was not pleased when I opened the inside box (which was my original box I purchased it in and shipped it to the first service center in) and was dismayed to see lots of packing peanuts floating around inside the box. What was more annoying was the fact that the receiver was not wrapped in that anti-static stuff it comes in (which I had used to ship it out originally) so the packing peanuts were free to drop into the open vents on the receiver. Also, one of the styrofoam ends was broken into three pieces. I took out the receiver and plugged it in and noted that the firmware had indeed been updated. The enclosed work order indicated they replaced an Integrated Circuit on the audio board. No other details.

I spent last weekend hooking the receiver up and am trying really hard to ignore what appears to be a small piece of packing peanut that has wedged itself behind the front display. All else seems to be well with the receiver other than all of the incoveniences and mishaps along the way. I am busy formulating a formal complaint to Onkyo and would encourage anyone else that has encountered anything like what I've been through to do the same. One voice is not very loud, many can be.

Just remember - Wherever you go - there you are!

Samsung PN51D550, Onkyo 709, Def Tech Mythos Four (L/R), Three (Center), Gems (L/R surrounds), Seven (Back) and Supercube II, Samsung 3D Blu-ray, Xbox 360, JVC DVHS Recorder, HD-DVD player

post #3140 of 3611 Old 10-04-2011, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhess5 View Post

I am busy formulating a formal complaint to Onkyo and would encourage anyone else that has encountered anything like what I've been through to do the same. One voice is not very loud, many can be.

It does seem like Onkyo needs to revist some of their authorized centers. In my case, since there wasn't one close I sent it to their regional center (ABL in Michigan I think it was) which worked out well. They received it on a Friday, shipped the following Thursday and I had it back Tuesday. Total time out two weeks.

I'm more concerned with the number of similar problems appearing near the same general time frame.

post #3141 of 3611 Old 10-04-2011, 10:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moebius View Post

Got my receiver back from ABL Tuesday. Not much in the description, just alluded to a part needing to be resaudered (a3000 or some such animal). Seems to be working fine so far at least.

They re-floated the solder on an IC chip on mine. Said that seems to fix most of the units. Next time around I'm buying another brand.
post #3142 of 3611 Old 10-05-2011, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Same problem. No sound on any channels. Zone 2 seemed to work.

My 707 has been sitting in service for over a week now with backordered parts and no ETA. Service department indicates they ordered the following:

Part #1B234532-1A HDMI PCB

I called Onkyo yesterday to find out when they expect the back orders to be filled and after 45 minutes on hold, I hung up.

While I mentioned the Pre-amp failure noted here, this does not appear to be the case according to the tech. We'll see if and when I ever get it back!
post #3143 of 3611 Old 10-05-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoobydoo View Post

They re-floated the solder on an IC chip on mine. Said that seems to fix most of the units. Next time around I'm buying another brand.

Interesting. I wonder if the IC is getting too hot and causing the solder joint to melt enough over time to cause a cold joint. Of course if that's the case it will eventually happen again.
post #3144 of 3611 Old 10-05-2011, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToBeFrank View Post

Interesting. I wonder if the IC is getting too hot and causing the solder joint to melt enough over time to cause a cold joint. Of course if that's the case it will eventually happen again.

Yes, that is usually the case. That is why it's important to add a AVR exhaust fan. Notice Onkyo finally added fans to some of the newer models.

This is a common problem with all high-tech electronics these days. Also, because:
1. The industry changed the "package" of some of the new SMT parts ... there are no "legs" to solder. The solder pads are under the SMT IC, but there are no "hole-thru" pins.
2. Some say the switch to lead-free solder is causing problems ... Due to it's new chemical and physical properties.

Living Room Home-Theater:
Epson 8350 1080p Projector (96") / Panasonic TH-46pz850u 46" 1080p Plasma TV
Onkyo TX-sr607 7.2 HDMI Audio/Video Amplifier/Receiver (630 watts)
Panasonic DMP-BD60 Blu-Ray Disc Player / Cisco 8742hdc DVR (TimeWarner)
Harmony 670 - Universal Remote / HTPC (XMBC/Win7-64) Media Server PC
Polk Audio Monitor Series II Speakers (Large 6.1 Matched Separates) / PSW505 12-Inch Sub
post #3145 of 3611 Old 10-05-2011, 10:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla1856 View Post

Yes, that is usually the case. That is why it's important to add a AVR exhaust fan. Notice Onkyo finally added fans to some of the newer models.

This is a common problem with all high-tech electronics these days. Also, because:
1. The industry changed the "package" of some of the new SMT parts ... there are no "legs" to solder. The solder pads are under the SMT IC, but there are no "hole-thru" pins.
2. Some say the switch to lead-free solder is causing problems ... Due to it's new chemical and physical properties.

I don't think this was a heat problem. The receiver was sitting out in the open and only used at moderate volume.
post #3146 of 3611 Old 10-06-2011, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardru View Post

Same problem. No sound on any channels. Zone 2 seemed to work.

My 707 has been sitting in service for over a week now with backordered parts and no ETA. Service department indicates they ordered the following:

Part #1B234532-1A HDMI PCB

I !

I was informed that this part is now on backorder until 11/15. I'm working on getting a replacement unit.
post #3147 of 3611 Old 10-06-2011, 06:09 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmel View Post

I was informed that this part is now on backorder until 11/15. I'm working on getting a replacement unit.

Are you serious? NFW!
post #3148 of 3611 Old 10-06-2011, 06:57 AM
Advanced Member

Wow.

I just replaced my 707 with a 40.2 and am not looking back, but I never had any issues either and I got mine a month or so after they came out from newegg for $569.

Never did a firmware update either.

It sat on a rack in my basement, with the tv and speakers upstairs...so the clicking etc was never an issue.

I think I'll add a fan for my 40.2 just in case.
post #3149 of 3611 Old 10-06-2011, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardru View Post

Are you serious? NFW!

Apparently the folks who post here are not the only ones having this problem. However, the guy I spoke to in Onkyo parts and service could not find any technical bulletins regarding this issue.
post #3150 of 3611 Old 10-06-2011, 01:45 PM

I had this "no sound" problem two months ago. The hard reset worked for one day, and no sound again the next day. I put the receiver in the garage for a couple of weeks so I can ship it out. I plugged it in again, pressed the VCR for a few seconds (did not press power) and the sound came back. It worked for another month, and now dead again. Now I got no choice but to send it to authorized service provider.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Sr707 7 2 Channel A V Surround Home Theater Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo Tx Sr606 Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page