post #3301 of 3605 Old 12-28-2011, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moebius View Post

Would defintitely agree with this thought. At the very least, it seems they had a bad batch run through. Anybody know if Onkyo encodes production run dates in their serial numbers?

On the 709 note. Pushed mine pretty hard a few times recently and while it still gets pretty warm, no where near as hot as the 707 did. Felt a little heavier too, so maybe they put a better heat sink in there.

The 709 is actually almost 2 pounds lighter. And if by bad batch you mean what seems like almost 80% of people on this forum than yes. Bad batch. Lol.

65VT60+55GT50+Onkyo TX-NR727+Denon AVR-1913+OPPO bdp-103+OPPO bdp-83=Heaven
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3302 of 3605 Old 12-29-2011, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is a follow up with my process via BBB (Better Business Bureau). Onkyo has acknowledged on BBB that they will replace my unit.

I will let this forum know when I receive it and confirm it is the 709. Then, see you all on the 709 forums.
post #3303 of 3605 Old 12-29-2011, 03:13 PM

my 707 is 18 months old and audio failed a moth ago. I took it in for repair and got it back 2 weeks ago...it worked until 3 days ago (right at Christmas) then failed again. I did a master clear and it worked again for 4 hours and then failed. Going by this forum I may end up not being happy with the end result unless I get a replacement.
post #3304 of 3605 Old 12-30-2011, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semp1 View Post

The 709 is actually almost 2 pounds lighter. And if by bad batch you mean what seems like almost 80% of people on this forum than yes. Bad batch. Lol.

Strange, didn't look at specs but it just felt a bit heavier when I was putting it in place.

And if you consider that a good chunk of the people only come looking when things go wrong, it still only likely represents a small chunk of the 707 population. Sure, it's possible that the heat output may affect most of the units unless they're in a wide open space with free airflow, but it's also possible that they had a run of the boards that had inferior solder and couldn't take the heat.

It's good Onkyo's replacing them, but it'd be nice to see them more proactive on it. Never gonna happen, but it'd be nice to see.

Remember, no matter where you go... You're not where you were anymore.
post #3305 of 3605 Old 12-30-2011, 05:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moebius View Post

Strange, didn't look at specs but it just felt a bit heavier when I was putting it in place.

And if you consider that a good chunk of the people only come looking when things go wrong, it still only likely represents a small chunk of the 707 population. Sure, it's possible that the heat output may affect most of the units unless they're in a wide open space with free airflow, but it's also possible that they had a run of the boards that had inferior solder and couldn't take the heat.

It's good Onkyo's replacing them, but it'd be nice to see them more proactive on it. Never gonna happen, but it'd be nice to see.

Agreed but yes. The Onkyo units have gotten lighter every year for at least the last 4 years. It just shows that Onkyo is saving money on parts. Making cheaper units and selling for the same price as the year prior.

65VT60+55GT50+Onkyo TX-NR727+Denon AVR-1913+OPPO bdp-103+OPPO bdp-83=Heaven
post #3306 of 3605 Old 12-31-2011, 07:23 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxrcr View Post

great, mine is doing it now to, just out of warranty. So am i screwed?

...I went thru this when my 807 HDMI board went out within warranty. I did get a 809 replacement after 2 months going back and forth with service center & Onkyo.

Onkyo has been extending warrantys on these receivers for 45 days past expiration. Call them up and you should be covered. Good Luck & Happy New Year everyone!
post #3307 of 3605 Old 12-31-2011, 10:23 AM

Well, a less than 2 week turn around by United Radio in Syracuse. Replaced the circuit board and sounds good- so far! Maybe the 2nd go around will work.
Onkyo said parts wouldn't be available until Jan, United called Wednesday to say parts were due late week, but Friday morning Fedex was in the driveway. Just a couple of hours inconvience to reset CD, PS3, WII, IPOD, and run audessey. Lets hope it lasts thru NFL Playoffs.
post #3308 of 3605 Old 01-03-2012, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltL View Post

Got a call from Onkyo USA late today. They are verifying with United Radio status, requesting United Radio ship my proof of purchase which should occur today. Then the unit has to be shipped to Onkyo and at that time the unit will be exchanged, but exchange model number was not indicated. The folks at Onkyo were very courteous and understood the problem, but it is apparant that they are extremely busy. Michael Russo did call and left me a message to contact him which I did, but a lady later in the day contacted me and stated that she will handle situation once paperwork verified and unit received. I will follow up with the forum as the situation unfolds.

Finally received 709 this morning delivered by FedEx (must cost extra to ring doorbell). Onkyo representatives were unable to respond to emails over the holidays, even though Mike Russo, Onkyo rep had authorized replacement unit on Dec 20th. Onkyo didn't ship unit until Dec 29th. Looking forward to having system back in operation!

Lesson learned - Communication with United Radio outstanding, very helpful in coordinating with Onkyo. Onkyo almost impossible to get a human on phone, emails not timely. When contact made with Mike Russo he reacted quickly to get authorization for exchange. However, it was very apparent no follow through from authorizing exchange to shipping receiver, 9 day delay. Couldn't even get a FedEx tracking number, which was requested on Dec 21st. Very frustrating, recommend daily follow up to keep Onkyo Supply Chain moving.
post #3309 of 3605 Old 01-03-2012, 09:50 AM

My 707 died. It was a replacement for a 706 that also died. It was an absolute nightmare getting Onkyo to fix that receiver (multiple trips to local and regional service centers, many months of waiting and several angry letters) - so my will is about broken. I have been putting off this call for about a month, and by the looks of this thread this will be about as painful as the first time though.
post #3310 of 3605 Old 01-03-2012, 01:16 PM

Just dropped my 707 off at the repair shop...they said 2 that when I dropped it off a month ago they replaced a chip and as it has failed again they can now order the HDMI card from onkyo. They have given me an approximate 2 week wait for the HDMI card to arrive.
post #3311 of 3605 Old 01-03-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlfr View Post

Just dropped my 707 off at the repair shop...they said 2 that when I dropped it off a month ago they replaced a chip and as it has failed again they can now order the HDMI card from onkyo. They have given me an approximate 2 week wait for the HDMI card to arrive.

United Radio told me the same thing, but the availability of that particular part evidently is in short supply. You must be vigilant with that part status at the repair shop, once it gets to 30 days or more then contact Onkyo to complain as long as your unit is still under warranty. You might get a 709 if you are persistant. Good Luck!
post #3312 of 3605 Old 01-03-2012, 08:41 PM

My replacement came in today, and it is the 709. I have set it up, and seems to work well with my equipment.

I'm satisfied that Onkyo went ahead and replaced my unit, and to give me a 709 is a plus. I wouldn't steer anyone away from buying an Onkyo product. Although, it appears this is a big problem with the 707, we really don't know a percentage of the units have this issue. The A/V quality of this product is still amazing.
post #3313 of 3605 Old 01-04-2012, 05:11 PM

My SR-709 showed up on the doorstep late this afternoon. Actually, the wait wasn't as long as I had feared and despite the long wait times with Onkyo Warranty Support (callback didnt work for me the first time) the process was fairly painless. Pays to be nice but ask for what you want.

I shipped the receiver to my nearest service center on 11/14. Followed up about 10 days later and was told by the sc that the part wason order but if they were not received by that time it could be up to a month or more. Called back to the sc after Thanksgiving and was told parts were still on order. I then contacted Onkyo on 12/13 and they placed me on hold and spoke with service center to verify my issue (HDMI board). The Onkyo rep advised that they would send out a replacement to me once they had receiver back from the service center and that it should be a 709. I followed up again with Onkyo a couple of days after Christmas and they processed my order on that day and it showed up today.

Lots of hassle and downtime without the receiver but I feel like they treated me well. I hope this one holds up much longer than the 707.
post #3314 of 3605 Old 01-04-2012, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH_OH View Post

My SR-709 showed up on the doorstep late this afternoon. Actually, the wait wasn't as long as I had feared and despite the long wait times with Onkyo Warranty Support (callback didnt work for me the first time) the process was fairly painless. Pays to be nice but ask for what you want.

I shipped the receiver to my nearest service center on 11/14. Followed up about 10 days later and was told by the sc that the part wason order but if they were not received by that time it could be up to a month or more. Called back to the sc after Thanksgiving and was told parts were still on order. I then contacted Onkyo on 12/13 and they placed me on hold and spoke with service center to verify my issue (HDMI board). The Onkyo rep advised that they would send out a replacement to me once they had receiver back from the service center and that it should be a 709. I followed up again with Onkyo a couple of days after Christmas and they processed my order on that day and it showed up today.

Lots of hassle and downtime without the receiver but I feel like they treated me well. I hope this one holds up much longer than the 707.

Welcome to the 709 thread....All ex-707'ers are welcome..
post #3315 of 3605 Old 01-05-2012, 12:15 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Were you still within your 2 year warranty period?

My 707 has been working great for 25+ months. You guys have me a little paranoid every time I turn on my 707 that I won't have any sound

Has anyone who upgraded their fimware themselves had their 707 fail?

Gary
post #3316 of 3605 Old 01-05-2012, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnuts View Post

Were you still within your 2 year warranty period?

My 707 has been working great for 25+ months. You guys have me a little paranoid every time I turn on my 707 that I won't have any sound

Has anyone who upgraded their fimware themselves had their 707 fail?

Gary

Yes, my 707 was still under warranty. It was in the SC in mid-November and warranty expired on Dec 8th.
post #3317 of 3605 Old 01-05-2012, 09:11 AM

Quote:

Yes, my 707 was still under warranty. It was in the SC in mid-November and warranty expired on Dec 8th.

Go to SquareTrade immediately and purchase an extended warranty. Get a discount code if you can. It's only a matter of time...
post #3318 of 3605 Old 01-05-2012, 08:58 PM

Well Gang.......... unfortunately it's time to include me in this nightmare.

I have the no sound issue...... Exactly as described many times here. Last month it started to act up, power off switch fixed it for awhile, then the manual reset worked a few times. Now it's completely dead.

Naively I was thinking the firmware update would solve this...................... ridiculous.

Here's the kicker................ the warranty was up last month. I'm still within that 45 day grace period..................... so I'll cross my fingers and start calling Mr. Russo directly.

Phone calls have resulted in the hold from hell. Voicemail has gone unanswered. Their website has this:

Contact Onkyo Support
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone!

We are experiencing a heavy volume of inquiries and have temporarily disabled the feedback form. For prompt service, please contact Product Support at (800) 229-1687

Thank you for the information. I'm buying a Yamaha receiver tomorrow to keep me from listening to the paint dry while I'm writing letters. I'm out the $700 and I will never buy another Onkyo product or recommend them to anyone.

I'm so pissed!
post #3319 of 3605 Old 01-06-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by encee View Post

I'm satisfied that Onkyo went ahead and replaced my unit, and to give me a 709 is a plus. I wouldn't steer anyone away from buying an Onkyo product. Although, it appears this is a big problem with the 707, we really don't know a percentage of the units have this issue. The A/V quality of this product is still amazing.

Unless the 709 also has a material defect / design flaw in it like the 707, then you'll be in my position in about a year.

So I called Onkyo, they told me what I expected: warranty period was for the original 706 only. So the ticking time bomb they replaced my non-functional 706 with (after a nightmare customer service experience I would not wish on anyone but my greatest of enemies) will need to be fixed out of my own pocket.

What a contrast to my Samsung TV. My LCD was purchased a few months BEFORE the Onkyo 706. It died on Dec 31. I opened an online ticket, they called me back on Tuesday (next business day) and a tech was at my house to fix it yesterday. My warranty expired in 2009 but the service was free because many people had the same issue (bad / undersized capacitors that eventually popped).

Ok - end rant, now a few questions:

Which have people had a better experience with: Alltech in Lincoln Park, NJ or United Radio in Syracuse, NY?

Has anyone had to pay for the service yet? If so, what does it run?

I'm concerned this problem is a design flaw and that the repaired units will start failing again soon (like the XBox 360 until they started putting redesigned boards in the refurbed units).

Does anyone know if they are replacing failed components with the same parts or if they quietly fixed the issue and redesigned the faulty modules?

Is there a way I can purchase an extended warranty for an out of warranty repaired unit?

Update - I called one regional service center, they claimed they hardly see any TX-SR707's and couldn't give me an estimate based on my description of the problem and could only help me if I shipped the unit with a check to cover their diag fee - so it will cost me at least $100 just to find out how much this is going to cost me.

Onkyo didn't offer any help other than giving me names and telephone numbers of service centers.
post #3320 of 3605 Old 01-06-2012, 03:30 PM

So I have read through the posts and it looks like I am not alone.

My sr707 died after 2 years and has the no audio issue everyone else has. I tried all the normal reset and they worked for a while but now no sound at all.

i am outside my warranty period so I took it to the onkyo listed repair service center in seattle, and they told me it needs a new hdmi board, a mere $590 and another $110 for the install - OBVIOUSLY not going that route since the whole reciever was not that much.

I gather from the many hundreds of comments that onkyo will not replace this unit because i was dumb enough to get a "factory refurbished" model.

I found an HDMI board on ebay for $69 and will try doing it myself, but I am pretty pissed, i used to love onkyo. the only person I saw on here who got onkyo to replace their reciever was going through the BBB, I believe I am just going to start there and see if onkyo will work with me then.

wish me luck, i enter the fray...
post #3321 of 3605 Old 01-06-2012, 03:50 PM

so... serious question? does anyone want to get into a class action suit on this issue? it is obviously affecting many hundreds of people?
post #3322 of 3605 Old 01-06-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ykkfrog View Post

so... serious question? does anyone want to get into a class action suit on this issue? it is obviously affecting many hundreds of people?

While Onkyo has thoroughly abused me ever since I broke with a long tradition of buying Sony stereos and picked up a TX-SR706 almost 3 years ago - I think if they want more than $150 to fix this thing I'm just going to admit defeat, move on with my life and plop down $325 on a Sony that has more features and a customer service department backing it who doesn't seem intent on making life miserable for you.
post #3323 of 3605 Old 01-06-2012, 04:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ykkfrog View Post

And what do you expect to get from a class action suite if you win?
If you're lucky, you might get $50, as all the big money will go to pay the lawyers that filed and processed the class action law suite for people.
post #3324 of 3605 Old 01-06-2012, 09:35 PM

If my 709 dies like the 707, I will post back on this forum.

I'm skeptical for sure as I've read on other Onkyo model threads where they've had problems (and problems similar to this).

And wow about their message on their contact support page. They have got to be losing money. I see that there's no job postings on their site. Hmmm...Gibson just bought a major stake in their company a couple days ago. I guess they have more important things to do than to help out the little people.
post #3325 of 3605 Old 01-07-2012, 05:55 AM

Quote:

If my 709 dies like the 707, I will post back on this forum.

I'm skeptical for sure as I've read on other Onkyo model threads where they've had problems (and problems similar to this).

And wow about their message on their contact support page. They have got to be losing money. I see that there's no job postings on their site. Hmmm...Gibson just bought a major stake in their company a couple days ago. I guess they have more important things to do than to help out the little people.

Seems strange to be a partnership only to improve earbud technology....

http://www.onkyousa.com/press_releases.cfm?id=244

Nashville, TN. January 04, 2012: As part of its continued diversification into the music and audio lifestyle arena, Gibson Guitar Corp., the world's premier musical instrument manufacturer, today announced a strategic partnership with Onkyo Corporation, a worldwide leader in consumer audio. With a reputation of excellence for high quality audio equipment and home theater systems, Onkyo offers Gibson's newly-formed Pro Audio Division substantial technology resources. Gibson will provide Onkyo with its marketing resources and expertise. The result will be an ability to deliver a far superior audio experience to the consumer who has become more and more used to hearing only inferior compressed music through inexpensive ear bud headsets.

Through this venture, Gibson will acquire a majority of Onkyo USA (Onkyo's exclusive distributor for North America and a distributor for Central and South America) and become the second largest shareholder in Onkyo Corporation. Gibson will make a strategic investment in the company, and Gibson Chairman and CEO Henry Juszkiewicz will be given a position on the Onkyo board of directors. Likewise, Onkyo will invest in Gibson, and CEO and President Munenori Otsuki will take a position on the company's Board of Directors. Together, the two entities will form a Hong Kong-based joint venture focusing on design and development of unparalleled consumer audio products. Through this alliance, Onkyo USA becomes the latest addition to the Gibson Pro Audio division, which already includes KRK, Cerwin-Vega! and Stanton.

Onkyo makes some of the world's best audio equipment, and this partnership will give Gibson the ability to bring a deeper and more enhanced audio experience to music lovers around the world, says Juszkiewicz. While people may be listening to more music, they are listening to it primarily in a severely compressed format. The aural disparity between a real system and compressed sound is vast, and as a result, they are simply not hearing tremendously rich sounds. With Onkyo, our goal is to bring the same exceptional experience artists demand in the studio to a larger consumer base.

This partnership has significant positive implications for Onkyo as we are always seeking ways of creating new value, says Otsuki. Gibson is a leading global company with a massive fan base, best-in-class products and superior marketing skills. Coming together in this way opens the door for amazing opportunities for both companies and, more importantly, fans of Onkyo and Gibson.

All agreements are subject to Japanese regulatory clearance, negotiation of definitive agreements and financing approvals of lenders.
post #3326 of 3605 Old 01-07-2012, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnla View Post

And what do you expect to get from a class action suite if you win?
If you're lucky, you might get $50, as all the big money will go to pay the lawyers that filed and processed the class action law suite for people.

I don't think a class action would resolve anything. BUT I do think if we got enough people to start tracking this, maybe isolate it down to certain production runs and all, we might convice Onkyo to recall the product or extend the warranty to avoid a major PR hit. We have enough units suffering the same failure at nearly the same length of time to show a definite pattern. Get everything credible and organized, see if Onkyo responds, and if not launch the PR campaign. We've seen a serious power shift towards the consumers this year, it's time to use it.

I don't have my unit any more, but I do have the serial # from the original time it was sent to ABL.

Remember, no matter where you go... You're not where you were anymore.
post #3327 of 3605 Old 01-07-2012, 10:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

And wow about their message on their contact support page. They have got to be losing money. I see that there's no job postings on their site. Hmmm...

In case you have not noticed, for the last few years. There are literally thousands of companies that are not posting any job availabilities or looking for help right now. In fact, quite a few have been cutting back and even laying people off.
post #3328 of 3605 Old 01-07-2012, 11:38 PM

I got the 709 all configured, worked great until I decided to update firmware. I tried to do it directly through ethernet cable. It showed "ERROR !! 5-64". I had to turn off and then turn back on a minute later. Everything worked, but no update. Looked on net for a clue about "ERROR !! 5-64", no definitive answer although it appears to be happening alot. Not to be detered, I tried to update with a memory stick via USB, surprise it worked!
post #3329 of 3605 Old 01-08-2012, 07:12 PM

I did indeed receive my 709 just before Christmas and have spent the holidays enjoying this new receiver. I tried hard to get Mike Russo to let me pay the difference for an upgrade for an 809 which to me would have been better for several reasons, but he would not even entertain that idea. Oh well. Moving to the 709 forum to see how things are going there.

My only advice has been voiced by several folks and that is to jump all over it when you have an issue - no matter what model you have, especially if it is still within a warranty period.

Just remember - Wherever you go - there you are!

Samsung PN51D550, Onkyo 709, Def Tech Mythos Four (L/R), Three (Center), Gems (L/R surrounds), Seven (Back) and Supercube II, Samsung 3D Blu-ray, Xbox 360, JVC DVHS Recorder, HD-DVD player

post #3330 of 3605 Old 01-08-2012, 08:35 PM

Just got my 707 back from ABL service center. It took about 3 weeks to get it back. They said they replaced the defective HDMI board. It has now past the two year mark so I guess I will see what happens in the next 45 days. I got everything hooked back up and so far so good. I will defineatly demand a 709 if it fails again.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Sr707 7 2 Channel A V Surround Home Theater Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo Tx Sr606 Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page