Forum Jump: 

post #3361 of 3607 Old 01-20-2012, 10:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by konakihotel View Post

I confirm that the problem is at the ST chip on the HDMI board. When i blow warm air with my wife's hairdryer my onkyo 707 works perfect. When it is off at night and go to sleep, the next morning is dead again.
Is there a solution for me? How can i fix the ST chip? Can i replace the HDMI board with a new? Where can i find one? Eb@y? Thanks.

if you read a few posts back, the repair method is similar to that used for laptop video chips and xbox 360 failure. It can be done with some liquid no-clean flux, a heat gun, and a lot of care and patience.

there is also at least one person on ebay selling boards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3362 of 3607 Old 01-21-2012, 08:17 AM

I i replaced my own HDMI board and now 2 weeks in and no issues, but I notice that the chasie is still unusually hot. It is often hot to the touch even though I have it in an open cabinet with nearly 10 inches above it of free space, but it is still hotter than i would like.I think I may have found a very cheap solution i wanted to share with others and see.

On amazon I found a dual usb powered fan, which i am going to power from my xbox360 as the reciever has no native usb function, but any usb powersource would work.

these perticular fans have rubber gromets that come with them to dampen vibration and noise and I am planning to put them FACE DOWN on the grill directly above the hdmi card.

I know most people say they need to be face up to draw out the heat, but my thoughts are that airflow directly over the culprit cannot hurt and it will still force air out the front of the grill. it will be a couple days till they show up, but I wanted to offer it up as a solution, i think they are $20 on amazon.
post #3363 of 3607 Old 01-21-2012, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnowinny View Post

Well, repair number two (replace intermittent circuit board) did not last long. Intermittent still but i would guess it will die completely. I tried to reach Onkyo service today. Tried the star for the call back, waited half hour on hold, to no avail... not sure what to do, wish i had my old panasonic , always worked and sounded good but didn't have the video capability.. Next is what, Denon or Yamaha.......

Shipped out twice repaired unit back to Onkyo. Only took three calls without a response and waiting a half hour on hold. I hope the 709 lasts longer than two years, can't do this again, what a waste of time. with any luck the new unit arrives at least a few days before the superbowl- unless the giants are in the big show that is.
post #3364 of 3607 Old 01-21-2012, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnowinny View Post

Shipped out twice repaired unit back to Onkyo. Only took three calls without a response and waiting a half hour on hold. I hope the 709 lasts longer than two years, can't do this again, what a waste of time. with any luck the new unit arrives at least a few days before the superbowl- unless the giants are in the big show that is.

Go Pats!!!
post #3365 of 3607 Old 01-21-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ykkfrog View Post

I i replaced my own HDMI board and now 2 weeks in and no issues, but I notice that the chasie is still unusually hot. It is often hot to the touch even though I have it in an open cabinet with nearly 10 inches above it of free space, but it is still hotter than i would like.I think I may have found a very cheap solution i wanted to share with others and see.

On amazon I found a dual usb powered fan, which i am going to power from my xbox360 as the reciever has no native usb function, but any usb powersource would work.

these perticular fans have rubber gromets that come with them to dampen vibration and noise and I am planning to put them FACE DOWN on the grill directly above the hdmi card.

I know most people say they need to be face up to draw out the heat, but my thoughts are that airflow directly over the culprit cannot hurt and it will still force air out the front of the grill. it will be a couple days till they show up, but I wanted to offer it up as a solution, i think they are $20 on amazon.

There is no way that the hdmi board is dissipating enough watts of heat to make the chassy hot to the touch by itself.

Do you have a thermometer? I'm curious just how hot your 707 is running.

It is, by the way, perfectly normal for a 100w linear power amplifier circuit to pump out a ton of heat. That's why there is such an enormous heatsink on the amp circuit.
post #3366 of 3607 Old 01-21-2012, 06:51 PM

Liked: 11
You can access an internal tempurature reading by following the directions in this link:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post11741857
post #3367 of 3607 Old 01-21-2012, 11:37 PM

I managed to update firmware from 1.14 to 1.27 with a ps3 slim yesterday. I was trying to make it work 2 days now....Hope this will solve my "no sound" problem.
Next step is liquid no-clean flux and a heat gun!
post #3368 of 3607 Old 01-22-2012, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnuts View Post

You can access an internal tempurature reading by following the directions in this link:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post11741857

Interesting. It's not clear where that temperature is being sensed though.

30 years ago, an amplifier that could put out 2x100w was a very large object that radiated a great deal of heat. Linear amplifier technology has not really changed since then. Maybe i don't think of my 707 as being especially toasty because i expect it to be sort of warm?

As we've gone along, almost all manufacturers have increasingly lied about what they consider a watt of output power, and we've developed switching amplifiers including class-D amplifiers that are far more efficient, but perhaps not as good sounding.

I'm not against efficiency, but the audio output circuitry in this receiver has every right to burn like a fire.

The CPU on the HDMI board not so much.
post #3369 of 3607 Old 01-23-2012, 04:40 AM
dm
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

I managed to update firmware from 1.14 to 1.27 with a ps3 slim yesterday. I was trying to make it work 2 days now....Hope this will solve my "no sound" problem.
Next step is liquid no-clean flux and a heat gun!

Has anyone completed the update with a PC outputing bitperfect audio from it's internal CD player out a optical SPDIF?

I am at v 1.09 firmware. Any idea what the changes are to the mediafire linked file that is supposedly v 1.27?
post #3370 of 3607 Old 01-24-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm View Post

Has anyone completed the update with a PC outputing bitperfect audio from it's internal CD player out a optical SPDIF?

I am at v 1.09 firmware. Any idea what the changes are to the mediafire linked file that is supposedly v 1.27?

One of the changes I noticed right away was the elimination of the clicking relays when the source switches from AC3 5.1 to AC3 2.0 and vice-versa.

I can't answer the question about using a PC but I will say that I was frustrated as hell until I disconnected all HDMI cables. I think I just needed to make sure all HDMI sources were powered off but disconnecting them did the trick. I used a WD TV Live Hub media player to playback the .wav to the receiver via optical connection.

-Jeff
post #3371 of 3607 Old 01-24-2012, 07:51 PM

By the way, the hot ST chip on the hdmi board is an FLI30336 integrated LCD controller.

See the feature list here: http://www.st.com/internet/imag_vide...uct/217377.jsp

This chip includes the Faroudja DCDI processor, which means that if you use the upscaling features, it stands to reason that it will run hotter.

I still use some analog SD sources, and the 707 has a better upscaler than my display panel, so i have had the output set to full time 1080p the entire time i have owned it.

fwiw i got my replacement replacement board from that ebay vendor today, and my 707 is once again among the living.
post #3372 of 3607 Old 01-25-2012, 08:01 AM

just received a note from Onkyo which says they will be replacing my unit...now have no complaints, Onkyo handled my issue better than expected.
post #3373 of 3607 Old 01-25-2012, 01:10 PM

[quote=ykkfrog;21453086]So I have read through the posts and it looks like I am not alone.

My sr707 died after 2 years and has the no audio issue everyone else has. I tried all the normal reset and they worked for a while but now no sound at all.

QUOTE]

I purchased my unit in July 2010 from Amazon.

Same issue. I still have 6 months left to my warranty.

Onkyo, did not even want to discuss it. They said yup its sound issue. Send it to NJ Service Center.

I can't believe how prevelent this uissue appears.
post #3374 of 3607 Old 01-25-2012, 08:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Does the 707 display THX when it hits reference volume like the 709? I thought it did but my 707 doesn't do it and ,y 709 does. So I'm a little confused. I can't really remember.

65VT60+55GT50+Onkyo TX-NR727+Denon AVR-1913+OPPO bdp-103+OPPO bdp-83=Heaven
post #3375 of 3607 Old 01-26-2012, 07:45 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semp1 View Post

Does the 707 display THX when it hits reference volume like the 709? I thought it did but my 707 doesn't do it and ,y 709 does. So I'm a little confused. I can't really remember.

On my 707, the THX indicator lights up whenever I use a THX listening mode.
post #3376 of 3607 Old 01-27-2012, 10:52 AM
dm
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Does the 707 A/D and D/A the analog signals coming on the RCA audio input jacks?

I am thinking of getting an external DAC and doing some two channel listening in Pure Audio mode (no EQ, Audyssey, etc). But if the Onkyo 707 redidgitizes all the analog audio in anyway this likely will be a waste.

There is no mention in the manual of a true analog bypass mode. But on page 27 of the manual it says,

"When choosing a connection format, bear in
mind that the AV receiver does not convert digital
input signals for analog line outputs and vice
versa."

This might lead me to believe that it is not sending the analog thru the AD DA chain. But I just wanted to check here if anyone is using an external DAC.
post #3377 of 3607 Old 01-30-2012, 12:02 PM

Yes...I did it...Today i managed to repair my Onkyo 707 by myself...
I bought a no-clean flux and a heat gun from eBay and i followed the next video on YouTube...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vr1zyAGwnuU
That's it...I don't now for how long it will work but it is working...
Below i show you some pictures of my try...

post #3378 of 3607 Old 01-30-2012, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:

.. but I notice that the chasie is still unusually hot. It is often hot to the touch even though I have it in an open cabinet with nearly 10 inches above it of free space, but it is still hotter than i would like.I think I may have found a very cheap solution i wanted to share with others and see.

That will work. Important thing is you do "something" with fans.

My solution:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post17574915

Any of these (enclosed cabinet) solutions will also work: http://www.coolerguys.com/allofourcoki.html
... the inexpensive temperature controllers are cool.

post #3379 of 3607 Old 01-30-2012, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes...I did it...Today i managed to repair my Onkyo 707 by myself...

Good work.

I use flux (paste) all the time, but not with this kind of re-flow. I don't really see how you would get it under the chip where the re-flowing is actually happening.

Did you find a video where is was used and seemed to have a purpose.

post #3380 of 3607 Old 02-01-2012, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla1856 View Post

Good work.

I use flux (paste) all the time, but not with this kind of re-flow. I don't really see how you would get it under the chip where the re-flowing is actually happening.

Did you find a video where is was used and seemed to have a purpose.

You use a very thin liquid no-clean flux applied with a pipette. That and some gravity and patience allows it to flow under the BGA chip, between the solder balls. You basically let it flow under the chip from a few different angles until you can be pretty sure that there is a good coating.

The purpose of solder flux is manifestly obvious to anyone who has any business owning any. Or ought to be. I don't mean to be offensive, but, golly.

The purpose of solder flux is to clean the surfaces of oxides and other impurities and thus improve the quality of the joint and make it easier to get a good solder joint.

My general position on solder flux is that if you are soldering something, you should apply some flux. Even if you have rosin-core solder. I am particularly fond of kester flux pens, which work just like a felt tip marker and lay down a very thin layer of liquid flux. But for this job we need to flood the underside of a biggish chip.
post #3381 of 3607 Old 02-01-2012, 11:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ej0rge View Post

My general position on solder flux is that if you are soldering something, you should apply some flux.

Thanks for the tips. I might try it next time. Using that procedure, I suppose I could get enough under there to do something.

Yes, I know what flux is for but I use when actually adding new solder. You have to admit, this whole idea of re-soldering or re-flowing the solder ... without actually adding any new solder is not really ever done or recommended to fix a poor or "cold" solder joint. But, unless you want to pull the chip off and start over, we don't really have a choice. But hey, it still works (sometimes).

post #3382 of 3607 Old 02-02-2012, 06:17 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the tips. I might try it next time. Using that procedure, I suppose I could get enough under there to do something.

Yes, I know what flux is for but I use when actually adding new solder. You have to admit, this whole idea of re-soldering or re-flowing the solder ... without actually adding any new solder is not really ever done or recommended to fix a poor or "cold" solder joint. But, unless you want to pull the chip off and start over, we don't really have a choice. But hey, it still works (sometimes).

*shrug* the way I've always heard it, re-flow without adding more flux is what is not recommended because it will increase the oxidization of the solder to a level where the resulting joint may be weak.

There are some mil spec procedures where reflow of any kind (including tinning anything before joining with solder) is verboten, but that sort of work is in the extreme minority.

We're not repairing a poor or cold joint here - we're repairing a cracked joint in a ball of lead-free solder.
post #3383 of 3607 Old 02-02-2012, 09:16 AM

Quote:

That will work. Important thing is you do "something" with fans.

My solution:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post17574915

Any of these (enclosed cabinet) solutions will also work: http://www.coolerguys.com/allofourcoki.html
... the inexpensive temperature controllers are cool.

Quote:

Ok, now I have had my fans in place for a little over a week, and I can confirm that they make a DRAMATIC difference. they are nearly silent, and I discovered something a little unusual, the xbox 360 new black 250gb version has the USB ports powered full time, even when it is off, at least the front usb port i am using, meaning the fans run 24X7 but they are cheap enough I would gladly replace them once a year or so. the important part is that they cool the revciever even when using other devices.

the specific once I got are about $20 but well worth it:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details

I did not do the thermal measuring step but by touch the chasies is now about 25 - 30 degrees cooler even when fully powering all 7.2 and upscaling.

I placed the fans [comes with dual fans] directly on the grill. it is pulling the hot air out of the reciever and is so silent i can barley hear it when right next to reciever. the fans also come with rubber feet so make it even more silent, but I found they are quiet enough without and I wanted a flat fit to draw the most air out of the reciever. now I can play it for hours on end and have little or no temperature gain.

having already replaced the hdmi board myself and thorwing away the old one before I heard about the thermal paste, it is a mistake i do not want to do again. I highly recomend something like this for anyone using the tx-sr707. If you dont have an xbox 360 you can get a plug in usb adaptor for $3 or $4. a very inexpensive and not technically demanding way to prevent what so many of us have already foud to be a significant issue.
post #3384 of 3607 Old 02-03-2012, 12:24 PM

I am considering to sell my almost 2 year old 707 and upgrade it. It still works like a charm, came with 1.22 firmware installed but im itching for something new. Anyone have any suggestions on a worthy upgrade?

Also how much is a reasonable asking price for my receiver (craigslist or ebay)?

Thanks guys
post #3385 of 3607 Old 02-03-2012, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enphenate View Post

I am considering to sell my almost 2 year old 707 and upgrade it. It still works like a charm, came with 1.22 firmware installed but im itching for something new. Anyone have any suggestions on a worthy upgrade?

Also how much is a reasonable asking price for my receiver (craigslist or ebay)?

Thanks guys

I sold mine on craigs list for $325.00 and was lucky for find the Denon AVR 4310 for $550.00 at a going out of business sale at 6th ave electronics. I have heard good things about the new 709 and the 809 and I really like the Denons as well because of the audyessey room correction. Good luck JT
post #3386 of 3607 Old 02-03-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:

Thanks guys

If you're lucky....errr...i mean unlucky enough it will die within the 2 year warranty and Onkyo will replace it with a few 709 like me and many others on here....

Anyone who does their research is going to stumble on this forum and all the failures with that model.
post #3387 of 3607 Old 02-03-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardru View Post

If you're lucky....errr...i mean unlucky enough it will die within the 2 year warranty and Onkyo will replace it with a few 709 like me and many others on here....

Anyone who does their research is going to stumble on this forum and all the failures with that model.

On Onkyo it says Purchase date 2/16/2010 so im cutting it very close its been working wonderfully so im just hoping it stays that way. Came with 1.22 preloaded, took me 2 months to receive it after a backorder so maybe its a newer revision who knows.

Im in the process of upgrading my speakers and the NR709 is at a reasonable price right now especially if i am able to sell this.
post #3388 of 3607 Old 02-03-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:

On Onkyo it says Purchase date 2/16/2010 so im cutting it very close its been working wonderfully so im just hoping it stays that way. Came with 1.22 preloaded, took me 2 months to receive it after a backorder so maybe its a newer revision who knows.

Im in the process of upgrading my speakers and the NR709 is at a reasonable price right now especially if i am able to sell this.

Do yourself a favor and go buy an extended warranty for another 2 years.. You'll thank me very soon....

$65 for another 2 years. Just select the 709 per the instructions I got from Onkyo.
http://www.shoponkyo.com/products.cfm?group_id=10
post #3389 of 3607 Old 02-04-2012, 10:41 AM

Thanks for suggesting that, I had no clue that they offered an extended warranty. That definitely helps out because I didn't want to be SOL in a few weeks or months. And this way if it fails I'll try and get a 709 out of it
post #3390 of 3607 Old 02-04-2012, 05:11 PM

Quote:

Thanks for suggesting that, I had no clue that they offered an extended warranty. That definitely helps out because I didn't want to be SOL in a few weeks or months. And this way if it fails I'll try and get a 709 out of it

I bought one for my new 709 which only came with the remaining 2 months of my warranty. Now I'm good for another 2 years.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Sr707 7 2 Channel A V Surround Home Theater Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo Tx Sr606 Receiver
Gear in this thread - Sr707 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page