Official Onkyo TX-SR707 Thread [No Price Talk] - Page 116 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3451 of 3605 Old 03-26-2012, 05:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I got my onkyo sr707 (Europe version) few days ago....bought it directly from an onkyo distributor for czech republic with 6 month warranty for half the price it was new here (little over half of local 609 prices and less than half of local 709 price)....not sure if it's just sale of old products or a refurbished unit but everything looked packed as if new (remote control still had a plastic wrap) and the only differences to the never out of the box state I have noticed was the front sticker gone (would have done that anyway as a first thing cause I hate stickers on most things) and the screws seem to have been unscrewed at some point of it's life (in case they come totally black painted from the factory so even the inside of the screw heads is totally black) and a tiny scratch near one of the side screws....could have been just a check before selling old unit or a repaired unit....anyway it should be 100% working backed by 6 month warranty

when I plugged in my sources (2 PCs one into TV/TAPE and one into CD), plugged the power cord (EU version has replaceable power cable) and powered it on for the first time it played immediately...

I was just using my Sennheiser HD558 (with 598 mod) at that time, listening to some favourite house tunes and exploring the features and setting of my new toy....I went thru all of the options and setting menus I could find and exploring what the unit can set (basically pushing all the remote buttons one by one)....I have changed some of them just out of curiosity and to see what it does without actually knowing exactly what they do or as I saw fit...

not sure if I put the unit in standby mode when learning to use the remote or it was by itself but the sound was gone and I could hear no sound at all....if I cracked the volume to near 0 level I could barely hear the source playing and when I took it to the max I could hear it very silent and very distorted....

I got it to work again normally by pulling out the power cord and putting it back...going to standby and turning on did not help

now every time I switch the receiver to standby and on again (with remote or front button on unit) I can hear no sound and I can only hear the source very silent on near max volumes and only in pure audio and direct mode..both my plugged sources doing the same thing

when I pull the power cord out and put it back in and turn it on it plays normal again

could that be some of my settings mayhem that I have done that?...would be strange that the setting would clear out on power cord off but still be applied again the next time I put it to standby

is there an option to reset all settings to factory defaults?

if I want to turn it off to let it cool down while I am not home I have to pull the power cord to turn it back on....it does get warm quite a bit...the grill is little warmer than my old Yamaha AX-470 with some papers left on the top

could listening to headphones (most of the time in my use) be straining the receiver same as when running low impendance speakers and the unit having to eat up all the produced power by itself?

sorry for such a long post without reading the whole thread before asking but it's over 100 pages...and sorry for silly questions since I don't have much knowledge in audio and electronics

thx for any help

EDIT: lol I just noticed the no sound problem is being discussed on the very last page....just want to add that it has no connection to the heat since it does that everytime I turn it to standby and I have it standing on a shelf with free space around the unit and no other heat sources near it

Onkyo TX-SR707 (EU version) + Canton Ergo 900 DC / Sennheiser 558 (598 mod)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3452 of 3605 Old 03-26-2012, 09:16 PM

m43ty....go to speaker setup and then to #4 level calibration. If its the no sound issue we have all experienced, you will get no sound from any speaker. Mine started acting up 2 months past the 2 yr warranty. First I was able to do a factory reset and that would temp. fix problem. So I decided to leave unit on at all times because putting in standby mode would trigger it. Then after a few weeks of being on all the time it finally went. I would send it back for a new unit. If the front sticker was removed I would say you purchased a reburb unit... esp if only a 6 month warranty was provided.
post #3453 of 3605 Old 03-26-2012, 09:18 PM

To do a factory reset. Hold down the tv/vcr button on the unit and hit the standby power button. The word clear will come up....it will shut down and reset.
post #3454 of 3605 Old 03-27-2012, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Get rid of it. It's an End of Life product that Onkyo doesn't sell any longer. Keep reading back and back in the thread and you'll see almost everyone is having sound issues. When some come back from repair (which all units eventually have to be sent in) they fail again.

Get rid of it and send your reseller to this site.
post #3455 of 3605 Old 03-29-2012, 11:39 AM

thx for the replies....seems like the factory reset got rid of the problem and now when I go to standby and back on again it plays immediately (I can hear two relay clicks on power on from standby)

thx a lot guys...

kinda pissed that I got myself a receiver with a design flaw, but guess I will keep it at least for a while and see if it comes back again...still at the price I got it for I am pretty much happy...

post #3456 of 3605 Old 03-29-2012, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I'll be honest I bought a 709 to replace the 707 that was out of warranty that had failed, but decided I'd call onkyo up and ask for help. They extended my warranty 45 days and told me to send the 707 in for repair. When i got it back I put that in my bedroom since I added a 5.1 setup in the bedroom. The 707 is going strong now for 4 months after repair and is now completely out of warranty. Even if it fails and I need to buy a receiver to replace it I'm happy with the fact that I got almost another 6 months to a year out of it. And onkyo really should be replacing the 707 with brand new units but whatever.

65VT60+55GT50+Onkyo TX-NR727+Denon AVR-1913+OPPO bdp-103+OPPO bdp-83=Heaven
post #3457 of 3605 Old 03-31-2012, 03:46 PM

Hello.

This is my experience with 707:

1. Worked flawlessly more than two years.
2. Then it broke - there was no second click after power on and speakers weren't displayed on the screen.
3. I've tried to bake HDMI board, but it hasn't helped.
4. I've ordered another (working) HDMI board from eBay and replaced it.
5. 707 worked for few hours and the problem appeared again, although, a bit differently - speakers are now (mostly) present, but it doesn't seem to react on input (for example, Dolby/DTS/stereo modes aren't detected).

Any help here?

Does anyone know, what is fixed on HDMI board when it goes to repair?

Is it possible that HDMI board isn't really one to blame - has anyone checked its power supply?

Tnx.
post #3458 of 3605 Old 04-01-2012, 07:23 AM

Two new discoveries with 'new' HDMI board:

1. When 707 is disconnected from power and connected again, first time I turn it on, it works! However, after power off/on, it doesn't work again...
2. TV doesn't see 707 any more through HDMI (CEC).
post #3459 of 3605 Old 04-01-2012, 12:52 PM

sorry if this is sort of an offtopic question but I was looking at some speakers for my onkyo sr707 and I have found a quite interesting looking speakers that are pretty much my maximum I can afford and wonder if they are a good match for my receiver (note that the EU version is 7x160w @ 6ohms)....I need to be able to power those without using bi-wiring since I will be getting two pairs of these beauties....

Dynavoice Definition DF-6

(I will post a link and info in the next comment - need min 3 posts to be able post urls)

post #3460 of 3605 Old 04-01-2012, 12:55 PM

Dynavoice Definition DF-6 discussion moved to a separate thread dedicated to the speakers only not to clutter the 707 thread with offtopic...they look sweet for their price...more info in the separate thread

post #3461 of 3605 Old 04-14-2012, 10:43 PM

My original 707 is silent again, but here's the rub: It was not heat, but cold.

I went on vacation for 10 days. My furnace has been off for weeks but there was a cold snap while i was out of town. Cold enough there was some snow on my house.

Worked like a champ the night before i left. Silent when i got home.

Haven't reworked it again yet. Looks like i have to pay some attention to warming the rest of the board to prevent thermal stress.
post #3462 of 3605 Old 04-21-2012, 11:30 PM

TX-NR807's have the same problem. I reflowed the DTS chip and all is well. 2 days now with no problems. As Ejorge said flux is crucial for cleaning off oxidation as the solder won't flow and bond correctly without.
post #3463 of 3605 Old 04-29-2012, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Same old, Same old.

No sound. Tried reset. Fixed it yesterday but not today. Checked that the headphone jack is not stuck on. Warranty expired in November 2011.

I have enabled sound through HDMI and am using the sound through my TV speakers.

Question is: Which receiver to replace it with?

TX-NR616: Is this the closest to the SR707? Is there any known issues with it?
What about TX-NR709?

Any other equivalent model from another manufacturer?

I hate to reward Onkyo with another sale, but their price/feature is good .. provided they don't have a hardware issue like the 707 does ...
post #3464 of 3605 Old 04-30-2012, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alokeprasad View Post

Same old, Same old.

No sound. Tried reset. Fixed it yesterday but not today. Checked that the headphone jack is not stuck on. Warranty expired in November 2011.

I have enabled sound through HDMI and am using the sound through my TV speakers.

Question is: Which receiver to replace it with?

I don't want Onkyos any more, so I went with Yamaha RX-A810.

CEC is worse than on Onkyo, everything else is better.
post #3465 of 3605 Old 05-03-2012, 10:22 AM

After about a month and a half of flawless functioning after reflowing the three chips on the HDMI board my inherited 707 is down again. Typical stuff - Resetting it fixed it for a day or so, but now nothing. I'm back to my old Yamaha. May try to reflow with flux this time, but I'm not nearly as enthusiastic. Easy come, easy go I guess.
post #3466 of 3605 Old 05-05-2012, 12:44 PM

Hello.

I've discovered a new moment with my broken Onkyo.

If I disable HDMI control, everything seems to be working.

If I enable it, speakers are working only on a first power on, or never. The same is if I don't have any HDMI cable connected.
post #3467 of 3605 Old 05-05-2012, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmit View Post

Hello.

I've discovered a new moment with my broken Onkyo.

If I disable HDMI control, everything seems to be working.

If I enable it, speakers are working only on a first power on, or never. The same is if I don't have any HDMI cable connected.

Strange. Are you sure it isn't an incorrect setting in another component, that's ignored (so it ends up being right) while CEC is off?

post #3468 of 3605 Old 05-06-2012, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla1856 View Post

Strange. Are you sure it isn't an incorrect setting in another component, that's ignored (so it ends up being right) while CEC is off?

I can reproduce this with tuner only; no other sources are connected. Also, config was cleared before each test.
post #3469 of 3605 Old 05-06-2012, 10:34 AM

Well, add me to the latest list of "no sound" with the 707. Thankfully, there is some good info here, and I will be contacting Onkyo on Monday morning. I purchased this at the end of March 2010 - which puts me past the 2-year warranty period but within the 45-day grace period I have seen listed here.

Based on the experience of some in my same position, I assume they will ask me to send to a service center to verify the problem, and make an attempt to repair? I really would like a new replacement (709), but I'm not sure of the best way to go about this.

It is very frustrating to have purchased a unit that has had so many units affected by the same problem.

I have left a message for Michael Russo, but wonder if anyone has a tip on how to expedite this process? (I imagine I will have to go through the proper channels, but figured I might get lucky if Mr. Russo has the ability to fast track due to the number of units affected with this same problem)

I supposed I should consider myself lucky to have this problem this close to the warranty expiration - assuming the end result is a working unit or replacement, considering that my Onkyo 707 is in my home theater and doesn't get daily use. It can sit for a week or two without use.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated - I have read this thread for hours and appreciate all the details. What a great resource.
post #3470 of 3605 Old 05-08-2012, 08:43 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Welcome to the club
post #3471 of 3605 Old 05-09-2012, 08:16 AM

Spoke with DeVaughn at Onkyo on Monday, received an email this morning saying to send my unit to ABL in Madison Heights, MI. I contacted that repair center (apparently this is a regional repair center) and the gal said they are about a week out if they have the parts.

Anybody have experience with getting their 707 repaired at this location?
post #3472 of 3605 Old 05-14-2012, 06:32 PM

My 2 year and 6 month old 707 has the no sound problem and is now dead. Has anyone tried to use HD component cables and optical cable as a workaround with any success?
post #3473 of 3605 Old 05-17-2012, 10:21 AM

Just got done taking out my HDMI board and baking in the oven at 475 degrees F for about 5 minutes and it worked!!!!!!! Unit has been going strong for about 2 hours now. I'll post updates.
post #3474 of 3605 Old 05-23-2012, 12:11 PM

Still going strong!!!
post #3475 of 3605 Old 05-24-2012, 08:37 AM

Update on No Sound issue with Onkyo:

05/06 - Onkyo "no sound" issue detected
05/07 - Contacted Onkyo, spoke with tech support guy who said to send an email with the details and they would get back with me within 3 days
05/09 - Received email from Onkyo with directions on where to send unit (ABL in Madison Heights, MI).
05/09 - I called ABL and spoke with Amy, who was very helpful. She said she would assist me and I could contact her anytime throughout the process
05/09 - I received a confirmation from Amy @ ABL that they received the authorization from Onkyo to repair my unit
05/10 - Unit was shipped to Michigan from Missouri
05/15 - Received email from Amy @ ABL confirming that they received my receiver on the 14th and she would let me know the status as soon as they found the problem
05/16 - Amy emailed back and said the problem was a faulty HDMI board (as expected), and that the part was ordered and should arrive on 05/22
05/21 - Received email from Amy saying the part had been replaced, and the unit was working properly. It would ship on 05/22 and I'd receive a shipping confirmation email from FedEx
05/22 - Received email from FedEx stating that the unit has shipped and should arrive on 05/24
05/24 - Unit was delivered at 10:15am

ASSUMING this thing works, and I don't have the same problem in two more years, I can't complain about the Onkyo service. The gave me no reason to complain, both with the warranty coverage of the unit (which was just over 2 years old), and the repair process.
From the moment I spoke with Onkyo regarding this problem to the delivery time back to my door was a total of 17 days (13 working days).

I will update once I get the unit re-installed in my home theater.
post #3476 of 3605 Old 06-01-2012, 02:39 AM

Good luck with the repair. Hopefully that fixes it in the long term for you. I haven't been so lucky. For mine, the regional repair center reflowed the chip the first time. That worked for about 3 months. Then they had to replace the HDMI board. We made it just over 2 months on that repair. Fortunately the repair center gives 3 months warranty for each repair. So, I am 7 months past the original Onkyo warranty but still within the warranty for the last repair. I'm heading to the repair center this morning to drop the receiver off for the 3rd time.

I believe Devaughn originally mentioned last year that a receiver had to go in to repair 3 times before Onkyo would replace it. Has anyone received a replacement for a 707 lately? The thread has quieted down a bit as I assume most folks are well out of warranty by now. Just curious if they are still replacing with the TX-NR709 or if they have started to transition to the TX-NR717.
post #3477 of 3605 Old 06-16-2012, 09:21 AM

I am about to try the oven idea. My receiver started giving me trouble last summer. It worked great since a reset last fall up until about a week ago. I have since replaced it with a TX-NR616 so it's ok if this doesn't work. Worst case I wonder if there are HDMI boards still available?

EDIT: I see that there is someone on eBay selling a repair service for this and other Onkyo boards. http://www.ebay.com/sch/audiovideo410/m.html
post #3478 of 3605 Old 06-16-2012, 11:41 AM

My receiver is now nearly three years old and I never had the no sound problem; however, It was out of use for 8 months while I was in the process of moving. This may mean the issue is a function of time used as opposed to age.
post #3479 of 3605 Old 06-16-2012, 02:57 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by supercell View Post

My receiver is now nearly three years old and I never had the no sound problem; however, It was out of use for 8 months while I was in the process of moving. This may mean the issue is a function of time used as opposed to age.
Yep, that's about how long mine lasted. I used it quite a bit in that time period too. I haven't contacted onkyo yet to see what they would charge for repairs. Depending on what they quote me with I might try to repair it myself, by what I've read it seems to be very similar to the ps3 ylod repair process which I've done several times. I just purchased the 818 earlier today so the 707 isn't a priority right now especially because if I fix it soon the wife will most surely frown on my recent purchase smile.gif
post #3480 of 3605 Old 06-20-2012, 03:35 PM

Similar experience here. No sound after 2.5 years. Contacted Onkyo support and after emailing details etc they told me to take the unit to a local repair center for no-cost repair. They changed the HDMI board and uploaded new firmware. Going great for last 10 days or so.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Sr707 7 2 Channel A V Surround Home Theater Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo Tx Sr606 Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page