Official Onkyo TX-SR707 Thread [No Price Talk] - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 3607 Old 09-25-2009, 03:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I made my own thread about this, but I thought I should post it here just in case people don't see mine. This is a glitch I just found, where when playing Dolby or DTS source movies from my computer -> receiver (via DVI-HDMI and Optical Cable), where the receiver won't always stay in the Dolby source when I pause the movie. It's about 50/50 if it will stay in the digital source, or if it will switch to stereo input mode when paused. When it switches to stereo input, depending on the volume I was at, the speakers will make a loud pop or oomph sound. As this problem never happened on my Onkyo TX-SR506, it has me slightly concerned. Here is a video I took on my phone illustrating my issue:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 3607 Old 09-25-2009, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanSoulPatch View Post

Mine are only at the 5.5' high mark, and they sit within the ent. center which is no more than 4.5' wide, so their separation is less than that. My fronts are just outside the ent. center, so the FH angle is also more narrow, not as it is "supposed" to be. I can still hear the difference. You will hear a greater difference than I, I am sure.

I tried to put them on top of the ent. center, which is over 6.5' tall, and would place them 0.5' closer to being over the fronts, but that was nipped in the bud real quick!

Gotcha, i gotta recalibrate with auddysey to enable the new Dolby Height listening mode, apartment isnt very quiet yet( bro playing halo ODST )

I think ill do it tommorow morning before everyone wakes up haha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
::
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #363 of 3607 Old 09-25-2009, 05:36 PM

I can imagine everyone running out of their bedrooms with the look of fear on their faces... "We're under attack!" Just make sure they don't yell at you in the middle of the calibration.

When I first heard the "wop wop", it startled the hell out of me. Wife's cat wasn't very fond of it either.

Thoughts are thinking; Thunk from knowing
nwod gniog em peek reverof sthguohT
post #364 of 3607 Old 09-25-2009, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanSoulPatch View Post

I can imagine everyone running out of their bedrooms with the look of fear on their faces... "We're under attack!" Just make sure they don't yell at you in the middle of the calibration.

When I first heard the "wop wop", it startled the hell out of me. Wife's cat wasn't very fond of it either.

hahahhahahaha ALIEN ATTACK!!!

Oh btw man, i got a hang of a SAMSUNG Cable box instead of the scientific atlanta one i had earlier, and i no longer have the problem with the resolution and what not reseting and now i can use HDMI again it was the darn cable box all this time (remember i said i remembered that when i had my 606 hooked up , i never had a scientific atlanta box, i had the samsung one, but then i decided i didnt need a cable box cuz i only have Basic HD Service so i returned it and now that i got the 707 i needed a cable box for it to run properly and i found out they dont give these Sammy boxes anymore , appears like these scientific atlanta boxes have serious handshake problems with samsung TVs or something just like you fellas told me earlier in this thread

post #365 of 3607 Old 09-26-2009, 12:46 AM

So, did the Sammy box just fall off the back of a truck?
Congrats on getting that issue resolved, I know you were racking your brain over it. Now you can sleep in peace.

I haven't had cable since the '80s. I still remember the alphabet dial box we had... USA was channel Q. Ahh, good times.

post #366 of 3607 Old 09-26-2009, 04:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
OK, so I was one of the lucky few to get the 707 for $569 from newegg (and I got it with 6 months no-interest).

I am upgrading from a VERY oldschool system and I'm replacing everything. Oldschool like Technics mid-1990's receiver and random speakers.

I am setting my audio rack up in the basement below the living room. I just hung a Bravia 52" Z-series over the top of my fireplace, dead center of the room. It's on a tilt mount and the main seating area is exactly 11' from the screen.

What remote IR system have people had good luck with? Just in case the HDMI 1.3 link doesn't talk bravia to onkyo?

Second question - I am in the process of selecting my speakers and I am going with Cambridge Soundworks for the 7.0 system. Going MC305's (80hz-22khz) for LCR, s205's bipole/dipole for the surrounds(or s305's if I can find some used, no one wants to part with them), and am considering MC155's (125hz-22khz) for the rear surrounds. I am tossing around the idea of using MC305's for the rear surrounds, and using the MC155's for front height. My .1 is a Klipsch sub-12.

The manual says that the receiver will not power both the front height and the back surrounds at the same time (which is crap since it's all they talk about in the IIz literature and available information). Does anyone have this set up into a virtual 9.1/9.2 system that can verify that all 9 speakers will produce sound at the same time? Or am I stuck with guessing and maybe buying 2 extra speakers?

I want the true rear surround, but I want height too - I'm just not willing to sacrifice the rears for the heights.

Anyone have any thoughts?
post #367 of 3607 Old 09-26-2009, 05:30 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by goros View Post

OK, so I was one of the lucky few to get the 707 for $569 from newegg (and I got it with 6 months no-interest).

I am upgrading from a VERY oldschool system and I'm replacing everything. Oldschool like Technics mid-1990's receiver and random speakers.

I am setting my audio rack up in the basement below the living room. I just hung a Bravia 52" Z-series over the top of my fireplace, dead center of the room. It's on a tilt mount and the main seating area is exactly 11' from the screen.

What remote IR system have people had good luck with? Just in case the HDMI 1.3 link doesn't talk bravia to onkyo?

Second question - I am in the process of selecting my speakers and I am going with Cambridge Soundworks for the 7.0 system. Going MC305's (80hz-22khz) for LCR, s205's bipole/dipole for the surrounds(or s305's if I can find some used, no one wants to part with them), and am considering MC155's (125hz-22khz) for the rear surrounds. I am tossing around the idea of using MC305's for the rear surrounds, and using the MC155's for front height. My .1 is a Klipsch sub-12.

The manual says that the receiver will not power both the front height and the back surrounds at the same time (which is crap since it's all they talk about in the IIz literature and available information). Does anyone have this set up into a virtual 9.1/9.2 system that can verify that all 9 speakers will produce sound at the same time? Or am I stuck with guessing and maybe buying 2 extra speakers?

I want the true rear surround, but I want height too - I'm just not willing to sacrifice the rears for the heights.

Anyone have any thoughts?

It's a 7.2 channel receiver, not a 9.2 or 11.2. If you want to play height OR width you cannot play the rear surrounds. And you cannot play height and width at the same time.
post #368 of 3607 Old 09-26-2009, 06:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLely View Post

It's a 7.2 channel receiver, not a 9.2 or 11.2. If you want to play height OR width you cannot play the rear surrounds. And you cannot play height and width at the same time.

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. Here's the thing, on both the onkyo and dobly websites, they state

Quote:

By expanding the soundfield vertically Dolby Pro Logic IIz lets you create a 7.1-channel playback system from your 5.1 surround system, or a 9.1 system from your 7.1-channel setup..

which is blatantly false, or so it seems.

Also, farther down the page, they state
Quote:

If you already have a 5.1-channel system and buy a new 7.1 audio/video receiver with Dolby Pro Logic IIz, you can put the two additional speakers above your left and right front speakers for 7.1 height, or at the back for a traditional 7.1 setup. Or you can stay with 5.1 channels and use the extra amplifier channels for stereo speakers in another room. With a 9.1-channel setup, you have even more choices, including state-of-the-art 9.1 playback with both surround and back speakers and two front height speakers.

which also says right in it that with a new 7.1 receiver you can add 2 speakers for 9.1 playback. Is it just that Onkyo didn't put enough juice in the amp to fire all 9 speakers at once so they aren't taking advantage of the technology? Onkyo should make a plugin device designed to provide power to the 2 wides or 2 rights, converting the 7.1 system to a true 9.1 system by allowing the signals to process through the receiver but not be amped until it hits an outside box. The technology of PLIIz seems to support that possibility, either that or the websites are all lying.
post #369 of 3607 Old 09-26-2009, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goros View Post

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. Here's the thing, on both the onkyo and dobly websites, they state

which is blatantly false, or so it seems.

Also, farther down the page, they state
which also says right in it that with a new 7.1 receiver you can add 2 speakers for 9.1 playback. Is it just that Onkyo didn't put enough juice in the amp to fire all 9 speakers at once so they aren't taking advantage of the technology? Onkyo should make a plugin device designed to provide power to the 2 wides or 2 rights, converting the 7.1 system to a true 9.1 system by allowing the signals to process through the receiver but not be amped until it hits an outside box. The technology of PLIIz seems to support that possibility, either that or the websites are all lying.

Yea, the 807 cant play 9.1/2 either, the NR1007 can i belive, but personally im fine with a 5.1 system + Height speakers, i have no need for another set of WIDE or further more, REAR surround, i find rear surrounds completely useless unless you have a room that it will work out in.

The DSX Wide should be impressive but my apartment living room isnt that big and i dont want the family to start braggin and what not,

Hey , i already have 4 speakers hanging on the walls and 2 towers sitting on the floor , i think thats quite enough.. for an apartment atleast

The 707 is a true master, sound quality is really good specially with Good quality content(Good bluray movies and xbox360/ps3 games)

I did not get a chance to recalibrate with auddysey, im going to wait for the apartment to be empty(with only me here of course ) and then ill run it. I dont like the idea of not having a PERFECT Calibration haha (as in interrupted by outside noises)

post #370 of 3607 Old 09-26-2009, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Okay guys, i just re calibrated with auddysey after i installed my Height speakers yesterday, didnt test yet, i have to go out soon, will do when im back however i have a question, after the calibration, i noticed that under the SETUP menu, under AUDIO ADJUST, under AUDYSSEY, there is a new feature called "STAGE HEIGHT" which appears to be set to "0" be default, what should i set that to?

post #371 of 3607 Old 09-26-2009, 11:21 AM

Hi guys,

First of all, as you can see (from my posts), I'm a noob. So please forgive me if my questions are duhhhh. This is my first receiver and I'm having a hard time setting it up to work correctly.

After reading thru this thread, I was lucky enough to be able to pick up the 707 from Newegg for $569!!! I installed it and ran Auddysey to calibrate the speakers (7.1ch). Picked up all the speakers and everything seemed fine.

Tested out Fast n Furious on Blu-Ray...

On low volume, it ran fine.

If I raised the volume, the receiver would shut down and go into standy-by mode (with the indicator light blinking red).

Also, I couldn't get the DD-True HD (which Fast N Furious has), DTS, etc... to pop up on my receiver. Only settings that would show up were, Auddysey and PLzII.

I've went thru the manual many times, but can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Someone please help this noob out!

THANKS!
post #372 of 3607 Old 09-26-2009, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bspecial View Post

Hi guys,

First of all, as you can see (from my posts), I'm a noob. So please forgive me if my questions are duhhhh. This is my first receiver and I'm having a hard time setting it up to work correctly.

After reading thru this thread, I was lucky enough to be able to pick up the 707 from Newegg for $569!!! I installed it and ran Auddysey to calibrate the speakers (7.1ch). Picked up all the speakers and everything seemed fine.

Tested out Fast n Furious on Blu-Ray...

On low volume, it ran fine.

If I raised the volume, the receiver would shut down and go into standy-by mode (with the indicator light blinking red).

Also, I couldn't get the DD-True HD (which Fast N Furious has), DTS, etc... to pop up on my receiver. Only settings that would show up were, Auddysey and PLzII.

I've went thru the manual many times, but can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Someone please help this noob out!

THANKS!

Man, it shouldnt be shutting down the circuit protection turns on when it shuts off and thats not normal

post #373 of 3607 Old 09-26-2009, 01:13 PM

Has Onkyo improved their firmware updating? For system and surround firmware? I own the 705 and it's a pain to do updating of firmware for system as you have to ship it to California and I'm in Illinois.

Have they wisen up yet?
post #374 of 3607 Old 09-26-2009, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airgumby View Post

Has Onkyo improved their firmware updating? For system and surround firmware? I own the 705 and it's a pain to do updating of firmware for system as you have to ship it to California and I'm in Illinois.

Have they wisen up yet?

Well, if it works fine then theres no need to fix anything, i had my SR606 for 2 years and i had no need for any firmware upgrades whatsoever. But no, its still the same procedure i believe.

post #375 of 3607 Old 09-26-2009, 03:08 PM

Hi Everyone,

Sorry for my English, not my first language.

I bought this receiver 1 month ago. What does PCM mean?

If I want to watch a movie in Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD how do I get to those settings? My Blu-Ray movie at home has those options, but I can't get it to play in those modes. My receiver (Onkyo TX-SR707) only will play in Audyssey mode light up on the display (no DTS-HD or Dolby True-HD).

Thanks for your help!
post #376 of 3607 Old 09-26-2009, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member

It sounds like your player is decoding the HD audio (TruHD, DTS-MA) and sending the decoded audio as PCM to the receiver. In order the see the lights on your receiver you need a player capable of bitstreaming the HD audio to the reciever for your receiver to do the decoding. what are you using as a blu ray player?
post #377 of 3607 Old 09-26-2009, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MY04JBPSTi View Post

Hi Everyone,

Sorry for my English, not my first language.

I bought this receiver 1 month ago. What does PCM mean?

If I want to watch a movie in Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD how do I get to those settings? My Blu-Ray movie at home has those options, but I can't get it to play in those modes. My receiver (Onkyo TX-SR707) only will play in Audyssey mode light up on the display (no DTS-HD or Dolby True-HD).

Thanks for your help!

yea like kemac said, if ur using the ps3 it defintley decodes it, just like mine so the reciever will always show PCM.

post #378 of 3607 Old 09-26-2009, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemac View Post

It sounds like your player is decoding the HD audio (TruHD, DTS-MA) and sending the decoded audio as PCM to the receiver. In order the see the lights on your receiver you need a player capable of bitstreaming the HD audio to the reciever for your receiver to do the decoding. what are you using as a blu ray player?

Thanks for the fast reply. I'm currently using the Sony bdp-s350 player which supports DTS decoding, Dolby TrueHD, and a few other things. So that's why I am confuse. It should be able to decode it.

Thanks again for the quick responses and help.
post #379 of 3607 Old 09-26-2009, 04:22 PM
Advanced Member

Your S350 is decoding the audio audio then it send PCM to the receiver. Not sure if the S350 is capable of bitstreaming the HD audio codecs, either way your still listening to truhd etc.

When a player is bitstreaming to the receiver, then the receiver has to do the decoding, thats were I think your getting confused.

Edit: Looks like you should be able to configure your S350 to bitsteam HD audio , you need to check the settings on your S350. I imagine their is an S350 thread here on AVS that you can get help as well.
post #380 of 3607 Old 09-26-2009, 04:58 PM

Thanks for the help Kemac. I will try to go thru the Blu ray manual again.
post #381 of 3607 Old 09-26-2009, 05:11 PM
Advanced Member

You may need to upgrade the firmware on your S350, looks like when your player was initially released it didn't support bitstreaming but it was added via a firmware update.
post #382 of 3607 Old 09-26-2009, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Btw everyone, i set HEIGHT STAGE to +2db which is the maximum in the setup menu, i guess that gives the height effect, i tried a few movies, the height effect is not really THERE if you know what i mean but the sound feels more full i guess as there is sound coming from the top too now, but then again i didnt watch any action movie, i watched a comedy( i know, not a good example to test the height )

I got a question for you guys, so now after recalibrating with height speakers with auddysey, i have new listening modes such as DSX, of course the dolby z, now , from what i understand, DSX is for the wides ONLY? or u can use it if u have only Heights installed too?

post #383 of 3607 Old 09-26-2009, 07:12 PM
Advanced Member

The "SP layout" button on the remote allows you to toggle between B, H and W in DSX mode if you have them all connected. You should be able to engage your Heights using that button.
post #384 of 3607 Old 09-26-2009, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemac View Post

The "SP layout" button on the remote allows you to toggle between B, H and W in DSX mode if you have them all connected. You should be able to engage your Heights using that button.

Gotcha, it knows i have only Heights installed. hmmm , intresting whats better, dolby IIz or the DSX. VulcanSoulPatch, any input on this ? (which is better , dolby iiz or dsx)

post #385 of 3607 Old 09-26-2009, 08:58 PM

Sorry, lamon, I only have a lowly 607, and therefore no DSX. I have to live vicariously through you all.

Did you have a chance to read joerod's DSX report I linked to here? He's the one that loves it, and why I recommended trying it in the first place. Also, hunt down his PLIIz review thread (don't have the link handy, though he might have it linked in his DSX Report). He lists some movies where he noticed the FHs kicking in. As for me, I noticed them on Transformers (early on, when Blackout was flying over the desert) and Iron Man (you actually feel like you're in the Humvee with Tony Stark).

VSP

post #386 of 3607 Old 09-26-2009, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, yes i checked it out, the only problem is that joe tested DSX WIDE vs Dolby IIz Height, not DSX Height vs Dolby IIz Height but either way, ill give both a shot i guess.

post #387 of 3607 Old 09-27-2009, 07:13 AM

Liked: 11
Well, I just got the unit hooked up and doing the Auddysey measuring. Seems like a solid unit, untuitive in its connecting, navigating and all, will come back to what my opinion on the sound is actually :P

Onkyo TX-SR707 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550, Chario Hiper 2000T fronts, Chario Hiper Dialogue Center, Monitor Audio RXFX Surrounds, Rel Quake 200E Subwoofer, Infocus X10 FullHD
post #388 of 3607 Old 09-27-2009, 07:45 AM
Advanced Member

Yeah, I was totally looking forward to my 7.1 receiver being 9.1, but it's not...despite dolby's website lies!

However, from all the reviews I've seen about height interpretation and the way it sounds in a practical listening environment, you are WAY better off going with wides or the standard 7.1 dolby layout for your speakers and skipping right over the height.

Makes me sad, in fact. SO MUCH POTENTIAL, RUINED!
post #389 of 3607 Old 09-27-2009, 08:46 AM

Liked: 11
Ok, my impression is that this thing is very nice! Bass is way better than before (had it hooked up through my Sony BD550 analog 7.1 to my Denon AVR3802) and the sound all together, wow, nice upgrade!
But... I have a question for you all, I do not use Front Height/Wide, I just use it as 7.1. What mode is best to use in your opionons?

I as a THX lover (don't know why, but I always have a good feeling is something is THX ), use THX Select2 Cinema mode and as I understand Audyssey Dynamic EQ is best to use for non reference listening volumes, so I changed the setting of "Preserve THX Settings" to no and disabled "Loudness Plus" or am I better off using these THX settings after all?

The reason I do not use the THX settings there, is because I think the settings with the setup of Audyssey will not be applied to the sound at that moment, and I like the idea of Audyssey changing the room acoustics as I have a room with a /\\ shaped ceiling. Am I right in my reasoning here? Or am I way off?!

Thanks for the response everyone! Glad I bought this nice receiver, definitely an upgrade with Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA.

Onkyo TX-SR707 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550, Chario Hiper 2000T fronts, Chario Hiper Dialogue Center, Monitor Audio RXFX Surrounds, Rel Quake 200E Subwoofer, Infocus X10 FullHD
post #390 of 3607 Old 09-27-2009, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan81 View Post

Ok, my impression is that this thing is very nice! Bass is way better than before (had it hooked up through my Sony BD550 analog 7.1 to my Denon AVR3802) and the sound all together, wow, nice upgrade!
But... I have a question for you all, I do not use Front Height/Wide, I just use it as 7.1. What mode is best to use in your opionons?

I as a THX lover (don't know why, but I always have a good feeling is something is THX ), use THX Select2 Cinema mode and as I understand Audyssey Dynamic EQ is best to use for non reference listening volumes, so I changed the setting of "Preserve THX Settings" to no and disabled "Loudness Plus" or am I better off using these THX settings after all?

The reason I do not use the THX settings there, is because I think the settings with the setup of Audyssey will not be applied to the sound at that moment, and I like the idea of Audyssey changing the room acoustics as I have a room with a /\\ shaped ceiling. Am I right in my reasoning here? Or am I way off?!

Thanks for the response everyone! Glad I bought this nice receiver, definitely an upgrade with Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA.

Wait a minute, if THX LOUDNESS PLUS is enabled DYNAMIC EQ is disabled?? i want DYNAMICEQ to do the Work but since THX LOUDNESS Plus is enabled by default and it STAYS enabled even after enabling DynamicEQ then i figured they work together since they both stay enabled

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Sr707 7 2 Channel A V Surround Home Theater Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo Tx Sr606 Receiver
Gear in this thread - Sr707 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page